06 Dodge magnum shuddering between 1st and 2nd gear in drive

Anyone know what the hell is happening here? Pic not related.

Torque converter shudder. Might not need a trans.

have you had this issue? thx1

FCA a shit

when in wash my car i do it manually with a pressure gun. i start with engine cleaner and spray it all over under the hood. is it more probable than not i somehow managed to get water inside of the TC?

Likely.
You can pull the shield off and drill a drain hole in the TC to get excess water out.

Torque converter? No

Don't.
If the tc ever had to be drained, there'd be a drain plug

FCA?

Please learn at least on of the big 3 American automakers before posting.
FCA - FIAT-Chrysler Auto

No one calls it FCA you fucking half wit

Not FCA, it's a Daimler-Chrysler

Not the guy who originally posted, but they call themselves FCA. Try again.

Please don't disseminate misinformation. Op drain the water and problems are solved.

TC has been mentioned a few times with almost exact symptoms and been reported successful. so if its not that then what might you suggest?

Just as bad. Tbh. Senpai.

Torque converters are sealed by nature when installed into the transmission. Draining them is a notch and only necessary when it needs replacement, and that's only to prevent a spill.
Torque converters contain transmission fluid only, unless you decided to clean out the dipstick tube, there's no chance it has water in it. If it did, the wanted would circulate through the entire system.

Sure, but they are different entities

Is a bitch*

It's most likely the TC. The I my other thing that would make sense would be a misfire at that RPM range, and that's farfetched.

Op don't listen to these trolls. They don't have your best interest in mind. they want you to go to a mechanic to search for a problem and charge you money. Money that could be in your bank account. Jews want your gold. Just drain the TC.

Jees, you're funny! I love telling people to unbalance something spinning at multiple thousands of RPM
=)

Stop.

This is Clearly the solution. Problems are always more simple than you expect. If people don't want to fix it themselves they don't have to but you can do this simple repair.

How would a tiny hole effect the balance on something so heavy? It's just a water drain. 1/8th inch is fine if you don't break the drill.

Except torque converters are not typically engaged in 1st and 2nd gear.

There's no water in it. Its all trans fluid. 1/8" hole in 1/8" metal is a lot of weight. Do you have any idea how balanced TCs are from the factory? Take a look at one some day.

If OP even knows the premise of a TC, he would know that ANY leak is A HOSE OF leaking ATF.

They aren't locked, which means they are engaged. When locked, a torque converter is essentially an oversized flywheel in the nose of the trans

I did this and fixed my transmission. I did exactly what you said you did to mine and had the same problem and just used a small drill bit and let the water run out. My mechanic told me not to because it is a expensive job he could sell me.

Are you a mechanic?

No, I'm an engineer. I work in the trans efficiency field, and I've had my fair share of experience with auto transmissions.

Sounds made up.

Seriously why are you trying to sell things to op he doesn't need?

I think trans people are an abomination

ford trucks come with drain plugs on the TC

No. The entire industry requires ever more efficient drivelines. Ever wonder why there are an increasing number of gears in modern transmissions?

I don't work with any sales. Engineers don't sell things to people, and I never even mentioned what firm I work with, nonetheless, we don't sell torque converters. We don't even "produce" anything other than data.

>"draining the converter"
>not just draining the whole trans

ATF is hygroscopic

Yes, some do, to aid in replacement and trans flushing, but those plugs are balanced from the factory, and replacable. A hole in, the side of the TC isn't.

You are the reason cars are expensive and my transmission is always hunting for gears. I bet you LOOOVE CVT transmissions.

Seriously op just a tiny drain.

I left out the word "clutches".

And when torque converters shudder it's when the clutch is engaging. Basically clutch chatter.

You want op to date a trans? I bet you believe in global warming.

Nah, CVTs still need a lot of work. They can barely hold 200Nm without slipping the belt and fucking up the pulleys. I prefer: modern auto > manual > "old" auto > DCT > CVT.

Auto cuck. Gtfo.

What?

Why are you trying to fix something that's not broken.

What? Poor fuel efficiency?

* that's the market's choice.
I'd rather be working on "fun" transes than autos, DCTs, and CVTs

Check u-joints and differential slop.
In between shifts youre changing from power output turning the drive line to diff momentum turning drive line. This loading and unloading can cause a floating issue if theres play in any of the components.

No u-joints. They're cv joints, but that's certainly something to check

Ya same effect.
For some reason I was thinking dodge pick up when I read thread title...
Check dodge recalls, they've had some pretty serious drive train ones lately.

Itt people who don't want to save money as much as they want to save the environment.

, this is an automatic, but when in 3rd gear driving around town there is no issues.

I have the same problem with my 87 Town Car. I know that at least two cylinders have low compression due to a valve problem.