Suspension/steering thread

Lets discuss suspension and steering.
Have you checked your bushings lately?
Have you checked ball joints lately?
Have you checked tie rods lately?
Have you checked bellows and boots lately?

Im getting ready to do tie rods and pitman and idler arm on my pickup. Not looking forward to it.

No, because my car only has 24k miles.

>bushings
Good
>ball joints
Good, replaced three years ago
>tie rods
Right side inner is worn and needs replacing. Currently waiting for parts to arrive, will replace inner & outer tie rods on both sides, plus whatever the rod in the middle is called
>bellows and boots
Not really, but haven't heard or felt anything weird

What car do you have? Do you have no interest in its suspension or handling characteristics?

>Have you checked your bushings lately?
completely knackered
>Have you checked ball joints lately?
audible kek
>Have you checked tie rods lately?
wallered out
>Have you checked bellows and boots lately?
don't have any

Need new bushings for sure. Not gonna do it though until its super noticable.

I've never checked em.

Tie rod feels bad. I can make the steering 'thunk' and the car floats more on the highway.

Got a new outer tie rod, install happening next week.

Can shit suspension wear out your tie rods much quicker?

>lately

They got checked a few months ago for the MOT. No unusual movements or noise that I can see, they looked fine when I was doing the oil change. And it's all covered up by the fibreglass engine shield to keep spray off, too.

Yes. squeaky but still good
Yes. they are still balls and joints
Yes.
I don't have those. Parallelogram steering niggaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

if you ever find a mechanic/car builder/friend of a friend/whatever that really understands suspension - angles, steering effects, load limits, etc. - pay attention when he speaks, because he knows what the fuck he's talking about.

let me guess, k1500 or similar?
idler/pitman/steering box was my first big job I ever did before I became a mechanic

don't forget your steering rag joint too.

Checked it all, literally everything you listed is shot, the ram style power steering as 30 degrees on center dead spot, and the 64 steering has a geometry problem that causes insane bump steer, as it goes up on the rack the wheels toe in 10 degrees on each side

>american engineering

sucks for you, faggot

How many 1964 cars from outside the US are being daily driven?

65 Falcon/Ranchero or Mustang? I can see from the center link it's not the 64 and earlier steering. Looks clean, I'm going to reinforce my own control arms, do the shelby drop, and use all of Opentrackers roller stuff

None because they are actually valuable and belong in a show room, not as a cheap as junkyard beater to get cletus to and from the bar

doing everything. The only y
Thing that dosnt need replaceing the stablizer, some times i think i should of asked for a shit box instead of an older car so my dad dosnt have to spend 600 shekels for shit like this. At least im learning.

I put urethane bushed perches on mine and didn't notice any difference over the old bonded ones.

Strange, I work on $100k+ actually valuable cars every day and they still manage to rack up some miles. I've also driven foreign cars from the 60s and understand why you don't see them on the road, and it isn't the value. You can get an Alfa GTV or Fulvia for the same purchase price as a fastback Mustang or first gen Camaro, but nobody is actually out there driving the EU cars.

Was your car the Ranchero that was on Sac craigslist not long ago? I saw it and it looked like an anons car I remembered from awhile ago.

>Lets discuss suspension and steering.
Kk
Yeah I just replaced the lower arm bushings with some poly units them shits were like 180 dollars for two of them
Both lower front ones are new on my car. The upper fronts will be replaced too
>Have you checked tie rods lately? Both inner and outer tie rods are new
>Have you checked bellows and boots lately? Both steering rack bellows will be replaced. Rear boots are OK looking

When you buy a used second gen GS you gotta throw like 500 dollars at the front suspension

>american engineering
Interesting. The guy that designed it was named Klaus Arning

That wasn't mine

I've been doing 120k mile maintenance on my shitbox the past few weeks. I ordered new struts, bellows, and mounts. Control arms were replaced a few months back. Anything else I should look into replacing?

tie rods are siezed to rack ends an wheels are slighlty out of alignment. not looking foward to this either

2x4 has a small crack. OK otherwise.

nothing a hose clamp couldn't fix

check them everytime i do an oil change.
>40k miles in one fucking year.

Mazda b2600i 4x4. Im the second owner and the first took really good care of it. So i plan on doing the same.

This
Love everything about it

Power steering and/or handling has been anemic the last two days. I thought it was the front tires but they were checked a week ago. Feels like I'm understeering, it steers hard, etc. No sounds, belt & fluid are a-okay, no notable increase in steering wheel vibrations, wheel alignment and braking are both fine. What am I looking for here?

>Nope
>Nope
>Nope
>Nope

Currently saving for a set of Xidas, will likely do most bushings and tie then.

I'm calling bullshit on this one. I personally know about roll centers, instant centers, natural frequencies, camber curves, roll stiffness, motion ratios, critical damping and/or damper curves, but I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about 99% of the time.

Tore a bellow and a boot while swapping the engine crossmemebr. Il let it ride for a while and then fix it.

Does your power steering have a filter?

>Have you checked tie rods lately?
>Have you checked bellows and boots lately?

My car isn't american.

It's the American way.

My truck drives like a drunk in a kayak and that's how I like it.

tie rods are getting a little old. Otherwise I just put in prothane bushings all around. Also did sway bar links and coilovers. I don't even bother slowing down for corners anymore.