Anyone here have any opinions on tints? Are they annoying to drive with at night? Kind of want to get tints...

Anyone here have any opinions on tints? Are they annoying to drive with at night? Kind of want to get tints, but I don't wanna be one of those "check out how cool I am i made my windows black" faggots.

I got 20% and I think it's annoying at night

I wish someone like Tesla would develop electrochromic auto glass. you can dial in the tint level or have the windows go completely opaque. all at the press of a button.

They have had it for awhile but the laws are so fucking slow to change regarding windshields.

Looks good on some cars. Others shit.
I think bronze tints look good too on certain colors like white and that greenish silver lexus used to have.

As far as seeing out of it.. I never even noticed how dark the tint was on my car. I removed it simply because it looked bad, but never noticed it while driving. it was probably 20 or 35%

I had that idea for houses with floor to ceiling windows like 10 years ago.
>should have patented it

not even doing it for looks either desu
just would prefer a darker interior on hot sunny days but i realize thats a tradeoff for shit visibility at night. windshield would stay untinted though. just rear and sides

variable tint is a thing

I have a 370z with 20% on the back and sides and a E90 with 30% only on the back 3.

I live in California where it currently gets 105 degree's mid day and both cars are black with leather... There's a huge difference between which car is more tolerable in the heat.

I won't get burned by the seats in the 370 like I do in the BMW, But it still gets hot in the car... And since I drive the Nissan the most the times I do drive the BMW I can just feel the heat radiating off the side windows.

I can see just enough out of the sides at night, But I don't live in the boonies so our streets are pretty well lit.

I have 10% on the back three windows, 15% on the front 2 and a small strip on the top of the windshield that is %2. The back windows are rather hard to see out of at night but its been 4 years and ive never backes into anything so no, tint is not a problem.

35% is always the correct answer.

I always go as dark, legally, as I can with tint and it's never given me any trouble driving at night.

whats the typical price for tinting all 3 back windows? I have a hatch and it would a lot more comfortable to sleep back there with some tinted windows.

Tint is generally cheap. I had 5 windows plus a sunvisor done for like $150 at the dealer.

>Anyone here have any opinions on tints?
Don't get the cheap DIY stuff.
Don't let someone else do it in their backyard with expensive DIY stuff.
Take it to a shop, get color stable tint installed by a professional with a warranty.

>Are they annoying to drive with at night?
Depends on the tint. I've got 50% entire windshield, 40% front windows, and 18% on everything else. I love it.

I have 5% all around, you get used to it at night. Worst case scenario, just roll your windows down nigga.

This
I have 5% all around, and a 5% strip on the windshield. Seeing at night is no issue once you get used to it. It sorta makes you focus on what's in front of you since that's all you can really see.
Also, SoCal hits 100+ regularly in the summer, it still gets hot as fuck if you park in the sun, but if you're in shade, it helps keep the car a lot cooler than without the tint.

I've got 20 all around and 5 on the back hatch and it's fine at night (pic).

More importantly it keeps the sun off you, with the windows up and the ac on its much cooler than being in a non tinted vehicle.

Jesus H. Christ that is an ugly car

What were they thinking?

I've got 18% sides and rear and 35% over my whole windshield because I hate the sun. the only time I've ever really been bothered by it is when I'm out in the middle of nowhere camping, no outside light for miles and miles and I'm trying to navigate a forest trail. I've had to roll the windows down a couple times. aside from just a handful of incidents like that it's never bothered me.

I personally support that tint is illegal on windshields and front windows where I live. Imagine driving with sunglasses glued to your head, that's just fucking dangerous at night.

I have 5% on the back and side windows of my Ranger. Jesus christ, i can't see a single fucking thing at night. It looks cool but I have to take longer to see if there's an actual car in the merging lane.

Probably that different people like different cars?

4g eclipse, 350z, g35 coupe etc are my favourite. The sloping body with the big ass end is just my thing.

Tinting your windshield... I can't be the only one who thinks that's a stupid idea.

I hear it all the time but I've done it to every vehicle I've owned since 2009, never had an issue, most people don't even know it's there until I say something about it.

>tfw any front tint is illegal

Faggot cops spend more time looking for this than solving murders here

If you ever lock your keys in your car it turns a 2 minute job into a 5 minute job during the day, and a 20 minute job at night.

Don't be a nigger, get your shit done professionally. Get it with a warranty.

yes, they are annoying at night. anyone who says otherwise is used to it and lives in the city.

i have one car with no tint and one with dark. each have their plusses.

I have no tint in my cars so the cops can see that I'm white.

I got 65%/35% (I have no idea which is which, its the lighter of the two, people seem to chop and change between amount of light blocked and amount let through) on all of my windows rearwards of the B pillar.

It makes absolutely zero difference at night other than taking the glare out of peoples headlights. In fact I noticed the intensity of the light now matches that of my side mirrors, so I guess my mirrors have some kind of coating on them to make them tinted from the factory.

Went with 5%....looked amazing...impossible to see at night!!!...git ticketed...gonna go with 20% next time!!!

I have 20 too.

At night it does suck.

No more weaving confidently through traffic unless windows are down.

These regulations are fucking retarded, i currently have 1% on every window behind the driver's seat, but i'm moving to Florida soon..

The only thing you should be complaining about is the strict 18 age of consent in that state.

That's awful, i think the age of consent should be 15 like it is here in Sweden.

30% max, anything over than that looks gangsta wannabe which in turns makes you look a faggot and worth mentioning anything under and in certain conditions you will start to lose the ability to see out as well.

This has been tested and proven. Not talking out my ass.

Get decent cars with athermic glass and you don't need faggotry tint.

1% on all windows, even the windshield

25 and no good at night.

50% tint best for sun protection

Not our problem you used nigger tier tint that follows no rules.

The % is always measured at block capacity.

Your 25% is most probably 75%, since it blocks so much it can't be 25% unless those were measured as the light that is let through.

And it looks like shit on a car like that.

Naa.

Yes it does.

Cheapens the whole car.

>follows no rules

I always follow the rules, faggot.

It's always measured in amount of light it lets through.

E46 M3 is the best looking car ever imo, too bad you ruined yours.

If you was it irl you'd think otherwise.

It looks really good, plus I can avoid the Subuaru etc etc faggots while in town.

You have shit taste.

I've posted that car many times here and in 5 years of owning you're the only one to ever complain.

Zero tickets with it too and I've been stopped. Not sure of the laws in GA though. Don't really care.

What did he mean by this?

Obviously nothing.

My car originally had 20%, but my stupid state raised it to 35% max.

20% was more pleasing and better.

Whatever loser its probably a SMG anyway.

Once you go black, you never go back.
I liked having 5%, then they made it illegal with any tint at all on the front side windows.

Top zozzle

I just use sunshades to keep the sun out when parked outside for a long time.

At night it's annoying as shit. Visibility can already be pretty bad at night if a road isn't lit properly, or some asshole with super high beams is right behind you. I actually ran one of my cars into a curb at night because the street lighting was so bad once, and it rekt my alignment. This was a car without tint. Can't imagine that scenario with even less visibility.

6MT. My production build was available only with manual.

I'm actually super tempted to go with a reflective tint on the back window. Just to stop HID fucktards in Audis from tailgating me at night and blinding me. See how they like it when the back windscreen just reflects it all back in their face.

That it cheapens the look of the car. Makes it nigger tier owner look alike.

You mean the second/third/fourth hand "production"?

SMG gearboxes weren't available in the E46 until Nov. 2001.

And what do I care?

Well now you know.

2needyforapproval

I have 20% all the way around. 5% or 10 are too dark to see at night imo

My brother has 10 on his car and you have to roll down the windows at night to turn. Its a pain in the ass

>my 20%

>1%
Why even have a window

I went with 15% all the way around with nothing on the windshield. It's fine for me at night because my reversing lights are bright when backing up and the HIDs have a good wide beam.

>35% is always the correct answer.

In most states, 35% light transmission is the darkest you can legally go for front side window tint. Some states allow darker tint int he back windows and some do not. SO, as that poster said, 35% is going to be the "correct" answer almost always.

Tint is fairly cheap. The labor is not hard. The only tediousness is cleaning the windows and you as the owner can help ensure the tint never starts to peel by making sure those window edge areas( where the edges of the tint are) are clean. The tint guy might simply give a cursory cleaning and wipe with a microfiber and then slap on the tint. If it starts peeling a few weeks later, too bad for you.

With jew shops, It doesn't matter if there is lifetime warranty because you will have to prove a car defect or person didn't cause it to peel in the first place. There are ways to get out of the warranty. I tried to use the warranty, but the tint shop cleverly incorporated their business as multiple contract firms. The front shop taking orders was one business. The tint shop itself was another. The tint guys were their own business. These entities then did their contractual things with each other.

quints for truth

>Faggot cops spend more time looking for this than solving murders here

If the government needs to generate income because of lack of taxes, then catching illegal tints works out pretty well. In my area, it's illegal to drive the illegally tinted car. You then have to roll your windows down and go get the tint removed (with a fixit ticket citation). If you are seen again with the windows up or with illegal tint, expect the car to be impounded and towed off and big fines on BOTH you (refusal to comply) and the car (illegal AGAIN).

How do impound yards work for illegal cars whose owners have a proven history of refusal to fulfill the fixit citation? The owner must arrange for a tow (not allowed to drive) to a location that will fix the illegal problem. The shop will sign the citation verifying an attempt was made. Please note the shop is never on the line if the fix was incomplete or unsuccessful. The car owner is the one responsible. If the car continues to be illegal the 3rd time, I don't know what happens. I assume it is bad whatever it is.

>My car originally had 20%, but my stupid state raised it to 35% max.

The police can't see if you're using the cellphone at 20% and it's reflecting, so they are starting to enforce the window tint laws here due to the cellphone law. They rarely enforced the tint laws before.

Enforcement comes in waves. I remember that a lot of cars would have bluish white lights from those tinted bulbs. But when the state started to enforce the law, all of a sudden within 2 weeks, all the bulbs disappeared except for the rare car.

>See how they like it when the back windscreen just reflects it all back in their face.
Reflective type window coatings are illegal in my state.

So quirky!!!

What does that even mean???

Am i the only one who puts a front tint strip on their car? It helps a lot driving at sunset

gonna be honest, that looks terrible

I've had 5% on every car I have owned and I will never look back. Never had issues with police as long as your window is down by the time they approach your window and if it's at night have your dome lights on and they will most likely not care.

>I have 20 too.
>At night it does suck.

If you are backing up in a store parking lot, you really can run someone over depending on the types of pedestrians in your area. In my area, the pedestrians sometimes keep walking even if my reverse lights are on and they will walk right in back of my car even though I was reversing BEFORE they even entered my path. Pedestrians seem to think that you'll stop reversing!

So I have great fear of tints at night because they're hard enough to see already with the rear lights reflecting off their bodies wearing dark clothes. I've come close to running dark clothes people over. A 20% tint would have made me unable to see them in the reverse lights.

I went to a store yesterday to buy LED replacement for the rear lights and they would not sell because the state has restrictions. I wanted to install ultra bright +400 lumen lights in each reverse white light location. That way, the extra bight light would show up the pedestrians wearing dark clothes better.

If you ever get an accident that was related to the tints, all the enjoyment was cancelled out. Tinting does two separate things. You get poorer vision. You also have less awareness of the exterior environment. So it's basically gambling that you'll not have an accident due to poorer vision and less awareness.

I think all cars should have UV tint
it only blocks ultraviolet and infrared
makes a hot day so much cooler and stops sunburn on long trips

some people wearing transitions lenses at night get fucked up by high beams
then the glass is too slow to change back to clear

5% on rear 3
20% on doors.
18% + factory tint on sunroof.
30% on windshield (entire windshield, not a strip).
I did tint for a living,windshields were actually common to do for us, albeit usually a lot lighter, like 70%
When I lived in Vegas, where everything has 4 billion watts streetlights , I could drive at night without realizing my headlights were off. Temperature difference in the desert was awesome.
Out in the sticks, where streetlights don't exist,I've actually had to stick my head out the window to see where I was going when I forgot to take my smoked headlight covers off. Even without the covers it still sucks and can be sketchy.

Stuff's been around forever and doesn't even need electronics.

I fucking HATE driving with tinted windows. I like to see out of my car

Automotive glass is all tinted.
It's just a very small amount to block some uv rays.

>I'm a certified auto glass installer.

My car already had tinting on it when I bought it. I don't know what the percentages are, but the front windows aren't as much as the back ones.

>I fucking HATE driving with tinted windows. I like to see out of my car

If the tint is not really dark, then it really doesn't inhibit your vision as long as there is more light on the outside of the car from either the streetlights or your headlights/running lights lighting up any other obstacles or pedestrians. If it is a dark curb on the ground, then you are shit out of luck if your tint is 20 or darker.

The reason why most states have a limit on tint at 35 is most human eyes' rods light threshold allows you to see at night if your headlights are on or streetlights are available. At 20, it becomes more of a dark blurry blob at night and your retina's rods cannot resolve it unless you are one of those exceptional people.

That is 5 minutes from my house lol. Shelton

Don't get it too dark or it will ruin the cars look. And get lighter tint for driver and right passenger side. It'll look and be functionally better.

I like my 10% in the day because i want my privacy bit mostly cause Florida is fucking hot but honestly it doesn't matter. As long as you get tint that can repeal a shit ton of uv rays yoyll be better off

I suggest 15% for back and rear windows. Get super high reverse lights so you can actually see. And 25% for passenger and driver side.

You're only a douche if you brag about tints or tint your lights

I think they look extremely cheap, like Tyrone put it on in his backyard.

I have 20% on my ms3. I had 35 % on a different car. 20% is perfect for me but summer stay around 100 degrees.

No problems at night.

You don't need tint on a 1992 Geo Tracker, it's already cooler than 99% of other cars on the road.

Thanks for the info m8

I got either 35 or 20 on my Golf Variant, its factory tinted, everything but driver/codriver and windshield.

It is not a pain at all. If you are insecure about parking in the dark, roll the windows down. Otherwise everything is visible enough.

The brow doesn't really do a whole lot for me at sunset, the light still coming in from under it is still overbearing, but I like the look and feel.

Thought I was the only person with windshield tint here. 35% as well on mine with 2% on the front doors and 1% all around the back. Wanting to go darker on the shield, though.
Strips only look good when you have windshield tint. When I had 55% on the shield and a 5% strip I could only see it when I washed it. And when I put a strip on my new shield tint, it will hardly show from outside.

>Pedestrians seem to think that you'll stop reversing!
You should. Retarded pedestrians have the right of way in parking lots.

Nice!!!...Ansonia for me!!!

how do you keep your planters free of weeds with no mulch. my planters are fucked even with mulch