/dfg/ ~ Dwarf Fortress General

magic edition

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.06
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12357
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>dead at 0 posts edition

would you work at this office?

I was testing a custom job name for elven "bowmen" (atlatl users) in adventurer mode, when this happened.

Anyway V2 of my weapon mod will be out in a bit in case anyone gives half a shit

why bully elves >:(

Why not?
Also, post text.

>when migrants bring personal pets

v2 done. Major changes:

-Spring steel now has unique stats, and is now exclusive to humans. It now functions as a more flexible steel which may help a bit against blunt attacks, but it sacrifices hardness, and therefore sharpness for it. In addition, it is roughly 10% lighter than dwarven "high" steel, in order to reflect humans preferring lighter built equipment.
-Wrought iron has been renamed to mild steel, and now also has new stats. It's an intermediate between steel and iron in terms of characteristics, and still acts as a substitute for pig iron, making it a very useful form of goblinite.
-Tweaked various stabbing related numbers. Half-swording, short sword stabs and spear thrusts all are a force to be reckoned with in terms of armor penetration. Half-swording has been made even slower. Protip: Wild half sworded stabs are deceptively fast and incredibly powerful, but risky.
-Elven bowmen are now referred to as skirmishers, reflecting their usage of the atlatl.

Awesome. I'm one of the two anons who posted in that thread of yours.

Thinking about doing a community fort thread with your mod, actually. Might get it some publicity. Although it might not be a good idea considering the last time I played DF it was before Werebeasts were even a thing.

post waifus

Wish I had pics of night hags, but I don't. They're kawaii as fuck. Except the ones with trunks, that is. That shit's not sexy.

Frankly I'm surprised that anyone gives a shit, when you think about it, there's nothing ground breaking or special about my mod. All I did was add and modify a small amount of crap to tune the game to my personal tastes.
Other than the goblinite (which I haven't been able to thoroughly test) and the angry elves (if used), a community fort with this mod probably wouldn't be the most unique thing ever.
That being said, an user yesterday mentioned he's interested in using my elf clubs for a mod of his own. If anyone wants to use my shit in their mods, go right ahead.

Anyway, my plan for tomorrow is to modify the wood types unique to "good" biomes, making some types unusually tough, so that some hippies are actually well armored.

I've had some ideas whirring about in my head to create something bigger. One idea would be to overhaul savage biomes, replacing or augmenting giant animals with dinosaurs. The way I picture it, no dinosaurs would be exactly based on real ones or use scientific names. Instead, they'd be fictional but somewhat plausible, as that would in my opinion mesh better with the dwarf fortress world. Raptors would be feathered because fuck your childhood.

Also I forgot the damn link
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12357

>Raptors would be feathered

Personally I've never been able to get into the whole 'elves are to be disdained and and despised' kind of mindset. They were always the nice chaps who sell me booze and giant eagles on occasion.

Had a few attacks from them in times past but they were all pretty naff, so the concept of actually dangerous and hostile elves is pretty novel to me. *shrug*

As far as the community fort goes, I'm thinking framing it as a military outpost. Find an embark that's near a bunch of forest retreats to gurantee a good supply of sieges, and set some ground rules to show off the mod to its best advantage. Stuff like no cage traps, no atom smasher traps, no pressured water jets shooting attackers into a huge fucking pit or things like that. All invaders must be defeated by engaging in combat of some sort. Should be Fun.

Looks like he had a great meal recently

>looks like I had a great meal recently
ftfy

as soon as I reach 50+ citizen unpausing the game for too long is almost impossible as so many things pop up and I'm not even talking about some foreign entity showing up
I can't really start new needed projects as the ones existing already take up so much time to keep them running
I find it extremely hard to switch from microing every workshop to assigning jobs through the manager as there are always problems in my production line (dwarf asleep/stockpile too small/way too long/...)

this is not a problem of dwarf fortress, but rather myself and the way I plan things out...
soo, any tips on how to fix myself?

Burrows and Communism

Speaking of communism, will the Dwarfen economy ever make a comeback?

>Raptors would be feathered because fuck your childhood.
Here's a thought to un-break user's heart.

Why not include two variations? You could have feathered raptors appear in Untamed Wilds if it's a Savanna/grassland biome (like it supposedly was when they still existed) but have "twisted", "naked" versions in Terrifying biomes that were touched by evil powers.
Pretty please?

I mean I might as well do it my self if you don't mind. Soon as I get a bit of time and learn about modding creatures.

>my queen after few moments and jobs post jail time

So basically it's many small problems that add up to an overall situation of being overwhelmed? Let's deal with them one at a time.

>dwarf asleep
Assign more dwarves to the needed labor.

>stockpile too small
Enlarge the stockpile or make containers to stretch the space you do have. If you don't have enough miners to enlarge the space, assign more miners. Not enough picks? Assign more blacksmiths. Literally doesn't matter if they're shit-quality picks being shat out by some amateur, they'll get the job done.

>way too long
Make more efficient layouts. One solution is to spread out your fort across multiple z-levels, and use open layouts instead of hallways, with many small staircases scattered around each level in addition to one large central staircase.

Another way is to create city zones, like say, a part of your fort devoted to masonry. Give the masons apartments and a cafeteria, and whatever else they need in that zone, and burrow them there so they're never too far from their workshops

I just want to make crazy and interesting lavish meals for my dwarves but it's looking like turkey egg, turkey egg, turkey egg, turkey egg for generations to come.

cave crocodiles my dwarf

cave crocodiles and cave crocodile accessories

or jabberers

more like cave crocodile eggs and jabberer eggs...

HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY dwarven syrup IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR turkey egg roast?

Here's what you do:
>make a primary food stockpile
>make a quantum stockpile fed by the primary stockpile
>build your kitchen a short distance away
>make a 1 tile food stockpile on every tile adjacent to the kitchen set to take from links only
>no barrels allowed in any of the stockpiles
>set kitchen to take from each adjacent stockpile
>each adjacent pile should only accept a specific food or type of food
>you can be as general (any eggs) or as specific (turkey eggs only) as your food variety allows
>link each kitchen-feeder pile to the quantum stockpile
>watch in amazement as your master chef grabs 4 unique ingredients for each meal he prepares

The no containers rule is important here; they fuck everything up with stockpile links, quantum stockpiles, and ingredient variety. The only exceptions should be if you're including dwarven syrup or mog juice in your rotation; those piles should only allow either of those things specifically, allow containers, and be 2 tiles instead of 1, because dwarves will place an empty barrel in any pile that allows barrels, and then be unable to put a full barrel in the pile. It will take a little while to set up initially, but it runs itself afterwards, and it's quick and simple to tweak any of the feeder piles to accept a different kind of food as your available ingredients change.

I'm new to modding df, and I've only ever played adventure mode. Are there any good tutorials for modding a custom adventurer race in 0.43.06? Not just changing dwarves to be legendary in every skill, but genuinely picking a rarer race and changing it's raws to make a custom adventurer? All links I've found on Bay12 have been about older versions.

begone, fool!

How does exoskeleton work exactly? What does it cover in a FB?

I've got a bug with bronze exoskeleton but someone a cat managed to wound him

Would that be a bug with an exoskeleton MADE of bronze, or a bug with an exoskeleton COLORED bronze?

And exoskeleton covers the entire creature except for eyes and mandibles, iirc

No. Never. Never ever. May Armok prove the truth of my post by granting me dubs.

Says "its bronze exoskeleton"

I guess color makes sense, it did mention the cat ripping through the chitin.

Is there any way I can knock out a goblin invader, or trap him? There's one on the outskirts of the map but he hasn't moved for a long time now. I dont want to kill it so I can use it for training but i can't think of any way to trap him without killing him. Unless wrestling dwarves can knock enemies unconscious.

Just kill him. There's hundreds of crundles you can use for training.

Do marksdwarfs still refuse to swap out their training ammo for proper bolts when not training?

>dorfs cause cave in on a farm plot that I was opening up
>somehow ends up one level up stuck in a tree

What's your preferred animal that you use for the meat/leather industry.

I'm deciding between goats and swine.

I have some animals that are kind of dangerous in a fight but cannot be trained for war.

Which is the better option:

a. A giant bridges that drops invaders into a pit filled with them

b. a walled in pen near the entrance of my fort that would release them

Is there a way for me to have fast-forward the world after worldgen that doesn't involve trying to keep a bunch of dorfs alive?

You could try spamming retire/unretire on an adventurer.

Pigs are larger and yield more meat than goats, and have the benefit of not requiring a pasture for grazing as goats do.

A. But how would you collect the invader's gear?
B. How would you round them back up into the pen after?

Pit is better, imo. More spectacle plus with the pen there's a chance the animals will scatter and flee instead of fighting

Rock on, that's handy bit of science too, unintentionally perhaps, but still good to know.

I just decided to start a fort and then issue no orders to see how long they last. So far they aren't dead and it's been a month. I also have no idea how to make them hunt for food.

Once the starting food supply runs out they'll automatically start to hunt for vermins to eat.

Soon, they will celebrate with their very favorite food! Which is rats!

DWARF ECONOMY CONFIRMED

Oh cool that's good to know. I set up shop right outside a hamlet so we're basically a bunch of hobos hanging out next to an old wagon.

>THE PINNACLE OF THEMED FORTRESSES

Caravans when

is there a way to check what the symbol of your civilization is?

The most obvious for me is to decorate something, choose Images then Existing Images. There it will show both your fort's and Civ's images

Welp migrants arrived. I didn't know they'd come no matter the state of your fort. I'm declaring this to be Dorf woodstock. A bunch of smelly hippies staging a protest against The Man. However, this gathering will have a more fitting end.

Geese outperform every other domestic livestock for both meat and leather by a large margin. Pigs aren't terrible, they take a little less management than geese. Goats are a shit choice. Sheep give you everything goats do plus a wool industry.

Oh a wereelk killed everyone. Huh.

What does it mean when that message pops up about the outpost liason not showing up when he should?

>Started with temple relic storage as a test case, and that seems to work, respecting the pools and so forth. The game has display cases and pedestals now, in all modes. Next I'm going to finish the display jobs in dwarf mode before I get back to maps. You'll be able to display any non-large object you like, and there'll be new thoughts for displayed items similar to the admiration of architecture. So you can set up artifact display areas, or you can just use regular masterpieces, or junk, or skulls, as you see fit. The displayed items show like the food on tables so you can admire them yourself.

>happy thoughts from displayed objects

Can two civs of the same species go to war?

Yes if ethics support it, gobs war against gobs all the time.

Dwarf sieges when? I want an enemy with decent equipment.

Next time, if you're willing to put a very little effort in, you should stick your first seven in a hole in the ground, make sure they have a water supply (An aquifer is useful for this purpose.) and a small farm growing plump helmets year round, with all of them being farmers. Add one food stockpile and seal off the whole thing from the outside world and you could probably let them sit there forever, or at least for a few dwarf years before they kill each other out of boredom. You'll still get migrants, and you can enjoy watching them scrounge around for a while on the surface before they inevitably die.

There are probably better ways of doing it, but this seems like the easiest way that has a good chance of working. I was thinking of doing something like this myself, when I started my current fort, but decided on a different project. I might still do it if I don't feel like playing my main fort sometime soon.

Gotta make your civ almost non-functional to do it.

Just use the hippieanon mod.

can dwarves walk through open floodgates?

I noticed just now that one of my dwarves is apparently less agile than he used to be about a year prior. Pic related.
Does anyone know how that could happen?

Yes.

I just got an announcement about a goblin siege arriving. Burrowed my civs, got my military together, then got a message about a snatcher. Snatcher walked into a weapon trap and gibbed into 1000 pieces, but there's no other goblins on the map. None in the others section, anyway. Siege tag is still on, though. Anyone else have this happen before?

I think there could be some other goblins sneaking around somewhere. I've never gotten an all-snatcher siege, but I don't have a lot of experience with sieges anyway, and I have seen snatchers as part of a siege before, at least I think I have.

>haven't played in a long ass time
>embark on a mountain with no trees, water or soil
>dive straight down to the caverns and set up a walled off farm there
>suddenly troglodytes everywhere in my fort fucking shit up
>how the fuck did they get in
>savescum
>apparently they clung to 1 tile wide cavern corridors and jumped in

neat

I just had a squad patrol the entire fort exterior, I don't think there are any. I have puppies chained all over for an alarm system anyway. Hopefully the tag goes away soon so I don't keep worrying about it happening all of a sudden.

c. Add [TRAINABLE] to the animal's raws.

War cavies my friend, war cavies.

>inb4 the siege tag goes away when they all dehydrate on the top of a tree somewhere
>inb4 you cut that tree down

>oh god not the guinea pigs
>ARGH THEY'RE EATING MY EYES

I'm pretty sure that there is no single ethic for starting wars with your own civ. Civs can attack civs with radically different ethics, but the only way to get those would be to use random ethics for the gobs(are randomised ethics even a thing yet? I only know about randomised values).

Basically, the two most important tokens for turning your entity into a militaristic antagonist are [BABYSNATCHER] and [ITEM_THIEF]. The first one will go to war against non-babysnatchers, while the latter will go to war against everyone, even other thieves.

Even besides those you can still get cases where events lead slightly different ethical differences to build wars, but it really helps to have [POWER] entities because they'll lead all sorts of wars. I added giants to that as well as them coming into a civ and being all "hey, squishies, I'm in charge" makes sense, and leads to more chaos.

Any reason why a floor would just suddenly disappear? 4 tiles along the second floor of my wall just disappeared out of nowhere. It was attached to the wall, and if it makes any difference I have cave ins disabled.

Did you cut down a tree that had branches over the wall? That can cause what you describe.

I'm using upright spear traps for the first time to try and make a corridor for dealing with hard to kill trapavoids. It seems like they're built in the upright position from the beginning. Can my dwarves walk through these fine, or do I need to link them up and lower them? I'd test it but with all the hauling my dwarves are doing, its taking a very long time to get it set up while also working on the wall.

In a campsite you're building or in fort mode?

In camp mode I know designated sections can collapse while being built but don't know if it works with cave-ins off, never tried.

That must've been it. I haven't played in years, hadn't encountered that before. Thanks.

>Get a successful fortress up to 80+ with military and great defense from titans
>Still not knowing how to make a water well or underground flood gate system for cold climates
>Still not knowing how to break through an aquifer without a pump
>Now knowing that the underground caverns give you access to wood if there is none on the surface

Anything else I don't know?

>be playing modded DF

>start in a town

>The elves are amassing an army to take the city! Flee while you can!

>Be fortress guard.

>Not gonna let the elves take my home.

>Of course, I have some help.

You see, the city is home to demons, enslaved elves, and a few other races, but the most important are the 43 nightcreatures that live here. These things are walking murder machines and aren't even part of the military. The elven army has no idea they're marching into a slaughterhouse.

TFW I realized what is going to happen.

>Still not knowing how to break through an aquifer without a pump
>tfw I'm a complete shitter and can't even do that right

I always hope they would march on a town where I set loose a werebeast epidemic during the full moon.

>right boys, loot and pillage, you get the drift
>hey, goblins don't have orange eyes do they?

>Does anyone know how that could happen?
My first guess would be aging.

Reminds me of this one game I played. There was this hamlet where every person down to the last child was a were-gators. Every month the town became a horrific orgy of violence. I like to imagine it was the subject of horrific rumors and legends throughout the world.

With plump helmets and hopes for the future

>how can you post on this board without passing the autism check

anons pls

I can't help, I never noticed them dumping training bolts into targets later, and before I was playing during the railgun era so wood bolts WERE combat bolts.

>mfw passed with a natural 20

What if the rocs, the keas and the great horned owls teamed up against the dwarves?

Why would that be a happy wojak?

I think the new picture of dromaeosaurs/raptors that has been slowly developing since the discovery of their birdlike feather coverage is fascinating and has only made them more scary.
They're now regarded as even more agile than previously thought, and their wings open up possibilities for some pretty crazy behaviour like running up very steep hills by flapping their wings, and using them to balance on top of their prey as they eat it alive, stuff like that.
It's recently been discovered that a really big (slightly larger than JP raptors, pic related) dromaeosaurid lived alongside T-Rex, which is a good reason to think they were extremely efficient predators.
A naked raptor would probably be less dangerous, and I don't want that, especially in evil biomes.

The way I picture my dromaeosaurs working in DF is like so:
"A vicious predator resembling a large bird with a toothy grin."
Functionally, they'd be dangerous pack hunters that are good at climbing (to represent them jumping/running up steep inclines with help of their wings), and if possible I'd give them a high innate dodging skill too - basically they'd behave like murderous ninja-beasts.

Here's a list of what would take high priority in terms of a first version of a dino-mod:

- Large or medium-sized dromaeosaur (raptor)
- Carnotaurus-like abelisaurid - A big, fast and scaly pursuit predator. The arms would be vestigial so it would only attack by biting and goring with its horns.
- Large Ceratopsid. With their sharp beaks, horns and possibly even spiky projections jutting out of their scales, they'd make fantastic warbeasts.
- Giant Azhdarchid Pterosaurs, because they'd make horrifying flying mounts for the cave-hippies. The big challenge here would be to make hybrid wing-legs, as they walked on all fours when on the ground.
- Troodontid? Basically it would be like a weaker dromaeosaur that likes stealing things. Rhesus macaques from hell.

Well?

>toady knows about the memes

Your question is unbelievably vague. Aside from adding a tag, what do you want?

Yes they can walk past them safely, if they dodge or are knocked back it may be another story.

>no option to console a new adventuring companion after they kill a man for the first time.

TOADY WHEN

I WANT

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT