Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums,

I'm a broke college student and I found a Chrysler New Yorker 5th Avenue for $1,600 with 89,000 miles on it. Going to test drive it tomorrow and check to see if everything is fine

Is this a good deal for a first car?

Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

automobile-catalog.com/car/1989/517925/chrysler_saratoga_2_5_turbo.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5616153046.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It gets 12mpg and is slow as fuck and will disintegrate into nothing if you live in the rust belt
Why not get a civic

Gets 22 mpg highway according to various sites I checked which is decent for going to work and college

Also it's a 1990 if that changes anything

Some sites list as 24 mpg highway

He wants an affordable luxury style sedan, I'm sure

I'm a K car guy so listen to me when I tell you not to buy it buy a Lexus LS400 instead. I can't overstate what a bargain they are right now for someone like you.

What year is that one?

>luxury style
The ega v6 is utter shit. Underpowered, inefficient, uninspiring AND fwd.
I'd take a 50mpg diesel jetta for 1500 before I'd take a last Gen 5th ave

>Ls400
>$1600
Meanwhile on bizarro Veeky Forums...

It's a first gen from the 90s. You should be able to find one in your budget and they're set to go up in a few more years.

I agree with you completely I just can tell from OPs picture what he's looking for. If I thought he was specifically after a K sedan I would have told him to buy a Spirit R/T but the Lexus is both more luxurious and more reliable.

I truly appreciate the Chrysler New Yorker's comfortable bench cruel seat so I can sleep in between classes and study in it comfortably. Sounds pretty sad but that's going to be its main purpose.

I truly love luxury vehicles in general though so you did make an accurate observation, I will be checking out the Lexus

Bench style seat*

if it drives ok and you like it, get it.

for 1600 bucks there wont be much in the way of buyers remorse if it turns out to be a piece of shit.

Check your local Craigslist, Bro. Bizarro Veeky Forums is now but it ain't gonna last. Trying to convince my wife she wants to get rid of her Passat for one.

Mine cost 2000 and its a 97

The only minor caveat I'll mention before you start looking is that you'll probably end up with a white or champagne one with a tan or gray interior because that's much much more common and at your price point you're going to need to put function over color. I get the feeling you want something black but the white ones look pretty nice.

the price seems a little low even when considering the mileage
even undesirable cars should cost a little more if they are well kept
the numbers don't feel right

I actually found a white one with this gorgeous blue interior mixed with a brown wood pattern that I appreciate. It seriously looks like royalty in the inside

Checking more into the car the owner said that it's being retired since an illness came over the driver. I'm naturally skeptical about that but the license plate on the car has a handicap symbol on it which adds more truth to the story

Bump

what you get with each car

ls400: mileage, reliability, and speed with the lexus

5th ave: black women

Ahahahahahahahhaha

Would I be able to find a Lexus LS400 for a similar price though? I really can't go above that

Do you know how rare the Spirit R/Ts are? Good luck finding one, and even better luck finding one in good condition

>implying black women don't love Lexus LS400s

You know jack shit about black women, son

>$1,600
Just buy the fuckin' thing if it's halfway presentable and beat the shit out of it until something that costs real money breaks then move on. And don't pay $1600 for it either. They've probably got $1200 or so in mind.

Not sure how identical it is to my 91 Dodge dynasty but I love my dynasty.

We had one of these growing up I remember my dad hated this pos. it would speak to you if you had your seatbelt off and other shit.

What sucked about it?

I have a Chrysler Saratoga currently sleeping in garage, there is a bit of a rust. 2.5L Manual. Basically a European market Spirit rebadge, pretty comfy car, thou there are some weird american things in it such as handbrake on a lever on the left side of the driver. Should I keep it instead of selling it?

>forgot pic

R/Ts have VNT Turbo

Good thing it's not what he wanted and not what I recommended but thanks for the good luck wishes!

So should I scrap it or keep it? honestly, not sure what to do with it...
Basically this:
> automobile-catalog.com/car/1989/517925/chrysler_saratoga_2_5_turbo.html

>old chrysler

Nope

Who would want to...?

>spouts memes
>thinks k cars aren't reliable

Sniggerd

Bought a 1990 Dynasty(Dodge version), one of the best vehicles I ever owned.

They definitely require more maintenance and tlc than an ls400 though and I think OP isn't trying to get into cars so much as just coming to Veeky Forums one time for help getting a first car he can be comfortable in and not worry about.

you're right, and I'm okay with that

>80s turbo Chrysler
>Any condition other than bounced off a guardrail and 10psi from grenading

That car is kind of a piece senpai, and if it wasn't maintained properly the MPG and HP have degraded. Old American cars don't last long.

LS400 if you want affordable luxury.

Otherwise buy a civic.

Found one close to me and I'm pretty sure I will buy

Yeah I decided to move on from the Chrysler but I found a 1990-1991 Dodge Dynasty that has the bench front seat and a comfortable interior

I think it's about right. Low miles are a bonus not a selling point on something like that. it's still a 26 yr old car with 26yr old parts on it. Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's worth shit, and those aren't worth shit.

OP here, found myself a 1993 Dodge Dynasty and this is what's under the hood.

Owner asking $970 for it

Has that bench seat that I dig as well

Don't be afraid to look under the car with a flashlight for any rust spots.

when test driving keep an eye on the gauges. You can't really be sure of them if they're just dummy lights, tho. Check to make sure all of them light up when you turn the key before you start the car.

For sure, seriously appreciate it

>$970
That's a nigerian scam number. Normal people don't price things like that.

Suspicious as well

OP should offer him $732.50.

How does $1,350 for a completely running, well kept (relatively) '93 LS400 sound?

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5616153046.html

I can't wrap my head around why you would want to buy this even in 1997 it would be an ugly pile of shit first car.
It's the kind the manager of store at a shitty strip mall would drive that reaks of cigarretes and failure

I love those series New Yorkers.

Parts cost nothing, everything's easy to fix, and they run forever if you change the fluids. If you're not going to get an LS400, why the fuck not

It's seriously a beautiful car

It's a beautiful car to me with an even more beautiful interior. No projection needed here

It's a romantic projection of a gaudy past shoehorned into an outdated looking, downsized brick. Not only did American luxury cars start looking like the cheesiest kind of strip clubs in the '70s, but the look was held onto for far too long. By the time the Park Avenue went out of production foreign luxury cars looked like this.

Its funny how from the late 70s until the late 80s Detroit had this attitude of "lalala rice shitboxes will never touch us" then all at once they started releasing cheap looking knock offs of rice shitboxes

Still really appreciate its body shape and pillow top interior sided with hardwood designed panels with a bench front and back seat. If you can help me find a car similar that isn't like the LS400 which is sadly $2,000+ where I live i'd appreciate it

OP is looking at a 5th Avenue which is a Chrysler and a candy bar. Park Avenue is a Buick

>implying that's a good look

>I'm a broke college student and I found
An ancient inefficient shitbox that'll cost you thousands a year to keep running. That's what you found.

Just buy a fucking civic. But you're a student, YOU DON'T NEED A FUCKING CAR AT ALL.

How the fuck do I get to college in Florida you idiot. Public transport would take centuries

THANKS OBAMA

OP buy a LeBaron GTC Turbo II in 5 speed manual.

That's a pretty fucking rare bird you're telling him to look for

M8, I've owned 3 over here in Finland. Can't be any rarer in the US

person living in the real world here, when I went to school it was about a 9 hour bus ride each way. I'll take my car and get there in 45 minutes thanks.

Yeah. You got all three that were left.

Hopefully he doesnt you fucking nigger

>mfw I spent $7,000 on my series IV UCF20

Another finn here. Never even heard of that shitbag much less seen one...

I can't even find single one that's on sale from 2 major car selling websites...

>Why not get a civic
not everyone wants a faggot car