Can we get a midship thread going?

Can we get a midship thread going?

I have my heart set on a non-turbo MR2 as my next car. It seems to be the perfect blend of fun, special-snowflake status and reliability.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rz-dN4kUwSI
newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/5541316067.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia
youtube.com/watch?v=NwJVel5jcss
youtu.be/IPQyQgyuNMI?t=1668
ebay.com/itm/1985-1989-Toyota-MR2-Basket-Weave-OEM-Wheel-Set-of-4-See-Description-/122001504149
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What else even is there in that price range?

I'd love something like that too.

really just the mgf i guess but dat reliability

Well price range is relative.
They can be really expensive and stupid hard to find. Ive been reading about these cars for a long time and from what I gather the hardest part is just finding a clean one thats been taken care of. I can confirm this, especially living in the new england area.
I see a lot of people compare it to a miata. They say its more forgiving at the limits than an mr2, which I absolutely believe

People swap in V6's from the camry's and they're quick. You gain hp and tq and lose weight because iron 4 cylinder weighs more than the aluminum V6.

youtube.com/watch?v=rz-dN4kUwSI

I want a v6 swapped mr2. Turbo power with typical camry reliability, and less weight

owner reporting in.
do not regret at all. learn to handle the car at it's limits and it will reward you

ask me anything

>tfw want a aw11 mr2 as my only car and DD
>tfw this is a crazy unrealistic goal

How much did you pay, do your t-tops leak and whats maintenance like?
A pristine aw11 with the right swap could serve you well user

This makes me wet and I dont care

it was my cousins highschool beater that I restored as my first car so I didn't pay anything. yes t-tops DID leak, easily fixable with epoxy and window adjustment. maintenance is as easy as a Camry. You'll most likely end up with a 5SFE which is literally a Camry engine or if you can find a 3S then it'll still be easy to maintain

are AW11s that bad? they're so horrible you need a bubble contained one with an engine swap to DD it?

Ive seen a few for sale in my area with 2nd-4th gen 3sgte swaps in them. Definitely out of the ordinary but the 3sgte can be really reliable if its taken care of, like any engine

God no, why would you think that? They came with the legendary A series engines, either the 4A-GE big port NA or the 4A-GZE supercharged motor, either of them will serve well as a DD, but if you want more performance you typically would either turbo either of those because the max horsepower out of both of those engines is 145 from the GZE, or swap in a 4A-GE 20V Silvertop or Blacktop engine

I say this as a miata driver, yeah an mr2 will be quicker but also more hektik and less forgiving, no question about it.

Despite/because of that I'd absolutely love a mid engined car under $10k.

Id say take this with a grain of salt because these cars are approaching 30 years old. If you want to use one as a daily definitely budget in a rebuild, or get one thats been garage kept
Hell 10k will get you a pristine JDM turbo
newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/5541316067.html

So what if they're approaching 30? most of them, if not left to rot outside, are still in perfectly working order, the only issues would be cosmetic and electronics, there is nothing wrong with the 4A engines

As great as the aw11 is, its a 30 year old car, and buying a 30 year old car comes with a lot of baggage. Mostly in the form of rotting rubber, electronic issues (like you said), and rust. An engine itself isnt really affected by weather and age unless its been sitting, but the same cant be said for basically every other component.

Id say just be extra thorough if you're going to look at one. I live in the new england area so ive had some bad experiences with older cars

you really don't get it

Did my point just go over your head or something or do you legitimately not understand what im saying

What sort of maintenance have you performed on it? Are you happy with NA or do you wish you got the turbo?

>midship
you are not japanese. you will never be japanese.
thread hidden

>tfw no fierocart
What would happen if the frame was cut and replaced with a steel tube roll cage ala roadkill?

Is the second gen stock turbo good?
Can the MR2 efficiently cool a turbo'd engine?
We didn't get any turbo models in the UK so I want to know if it's worth importing/fitting a turbo.

It's not unrealistic, I've got an 87 with a blacktop 4age swap and it's great. Only major rust is in the frunk near the drain area, and only surface rust. Was 5k when said and done. Now I get to dump more money into it

>What sort of maintenance have you performed on it?
nothing out of the ordinary. I've got the Turbo but have driven the NA plenty of times. The NA is def slow but it's still fun as hell to corner and drive it.
yes. stock boost isn't much

Stock
Motor

>stock boost isn't much
So I'd be better off getting an NA and an aftermarket turbo?

Not even trolling here, but I don't see massive benefits of that car being rwd since you are fucked if you oversteer? Or is that a wrong? I've heard they snap oversteer. Other than that they look cool I guess. Too pricey tho.

absolutely. that's true for every turbo model or sport package car ever created.
people build track and tuner cars out of base models.

only reason for turbo model is if you
a) want a nice oem classic example of the turbo model
b) dont care to make any more power than the turbo model provides.
c) turbo model comes with a different transmission or some other more expensive option that you want.

They only snap oversteer by idiots driving them to the limits and freaking out at said limits causing the oversteer, an experienced driver never gets to that point, it's a meme to discourage people from buying them

>Not even trolling here
That's the first time I've seen that said genuinely

if you're in america just get a turbo. na sw20s are all the pigfat with none of the power.

you're an idiot and/or inept

busrider

>MFW my aw11 +300,000 miles on the clock and still runs like a champ

Just a testament to the glorious 4A

It's actually a Honda d series, that 4a was shit and blew out at 150k

I've seen yours before and like it man, it's nice

What's the biggest difference you've noticed driveability wise between the Big Port and the Blacktop?

Pic or it didn't happen

That's not the same user that posted user

I didn't think so

>literally being a hacker

thanks for the bump tho

Is snap oversteer just a meme? How does it happen? Can it be fixed?

Its a meme
It happens when a bad driver drives bad
Fixed with a good driver

This

You're not going to get anything Fiero related in these threads, It's all MemeR2 shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia

Basically, it depends on how the weight is distributed relative to the rotational axis. A car with the engine planted in the middle is going to require less input to oversteer than a front mounted engine.

Since you can't move your engine around, you have to be much smoother with your inputs = git gud.

no it's not a meme. it happens when you drive a poorly designed car like an MR2

HERE WE GO

ITT: poorfags who literally glorify a mid engine Corolla

Just get the Turbo model. The idea of Turbo charging the N/A is completely stupid and a money pit. The Stock Turbo version comes with better suspension, LSD and stronger gearbox/Hubs/Axles. The N/A head won't flow as much PSI and the compression ratios are all wrong.

Look for a Rev3+ Turbo and you can up the boost to 18PSI with basic bolt ons reaching 300bhp. Alternatively the Rev2 and put a CT20b turbo on and try the Rev3 engine management conversion /fuelling/metal headgasket with bolt on's to achieve the same power.

>I owned an N/A for 1 year
>got bored of the power
>Bought a Turbo Rev2 and never looked back

Yeah, is this accurate?
>You have to keep on pressing the accelerator once you enter the corner. If you release it, you shift the weight of the car to the front and you lose rear wheel grip, causing oversteer and a potential spin-out.

No not at all. A simple turbo swap takes plenty of work, and the 3S-GTE is designed for boosting, unlike the 3S-GE and 5S-FE.

No it's actually a trait of a mid engine RWD car. Porches (yes but rear engined) / Ferraris / Lamborghinis all suffed from snap oversteer.

The best way to avoid it on an MR2 mk2 is to get the Rev2 + versions as the suspension was revised. Run staggered wheels like stock (Always rears wider than the fronts) and invest in decent tyres. Then the car is much more subdued and less snappy.

Better to just get good tires than the neutered 93+ suspension

Its true to a degree, but its the same as with any mid engine rwd car. The only reason the mr2 is considered dangerous is because its accessible, common, and lacks advanced driving aids

if you set your MR2 to super stock then it will go perfectly

>the only way to have a somewhat balanced MR2 is too put huge tires on it

MR is awesome on a track, but when you let your guard down, it might put you into the guard rail

snap oversteer is like FWD oversteer. its neither cool nor all that controllable.

>MR fags have to worry about dying every corner in the rain
>meanwhile FRONT MID REAR MASTER RACE passes it while drifting sideways

Yea it's accurate. Where's the greentext from?

It's missing a crucial word. It's not that you can't release the throttle(or apply brake) in a corner, it's that you can't release it _abruptly_.

As with everything in vehicle dynamics, be smooth.

You do realise people drift MR2's right? They even do it in the rain *horror shock horror*

youtube.com/watch?v=NwJVel5jcss

I just rewrote a poorly expressed youtube comment that seemed to have the right idea.

It's true with any car. A good setup FR car will do the same exact thing. It's a good thing not a bad thing. Normal people just don't know how to drive.

Ah ok. Also, here doridori himself talking about it

youtu.be/IPQyQgyuNMI?t=1668

Timestamped for the mr2 but watch the whole thing.

Owned a SW20 of some kind for the past 10 years.

They are excellent cars but they are starting to show their age in some ways.

Prices going up on them
Smaller selection available
Less quality selection (fewer maintained and non crashed cars)
Big thing is AGE. You buy one and it'll most likely run a drive, but to make it GREAT again I'd be looking and refreshing the whole car. Suspension, fluids, brakes, engine work (seals and belts mainly, headgasket if higher mileage).

Oh and ttops WILL FUCKING LEAK. I swear leakong ttops was a factory option from Toyota. Easy fixes though.

my buddy has an SW20 with the 3SGTE swap in it, fucking love it, though it scared the piss out of me to drive compared to my miat

pic related is his

93 Teal? Noice.

OP I forgot one little thing. 93+ are a little more forgiving suspension wise and have small finer improvements here and there that are nice to have. Biggest being the fact they went electro speedo in 93 on up. 91 and 92 have mechanical speedo with cables and those fuckers suck to repair. It's cheap to do so(although the cables can be hard to find new) it's just a pain in the ass is all, especially if it's related to the assembly that hooks into the tranny itself.

he repainted it a different shade of blue unfortunately, he also sold his equips for a set of BBS LM's
it still looks pretty good in my opinion, but i liked the teal more

Tb.h the fucked up the 93+ suspension. Instead of bad in a way that might kill you, they went too far in the opposite direction and got bad in a way that's boring.

>"H-hey guys, can I come too?"

I'd like the ZZW30 if it didn't have such an ugly front end.

bait

You do realize people drift Civics right? They even do it in the dry *horror shock horror*

Fuck it, I'll post mine.

>tfw buying aw11 as first car is a bad idea
>tfw dont know much about cars and poor
>but really fucking love mr2 and want one very badly

I should report you to the RSPCA.

So long as you buy one in a good, rust-free condition they're fine. I wouldn't bother if you get a lot of snow and storms where you live.

There is no snow and little to no rust here if the car is native.
I don't even care about horsepower or stoplight racing like everyone else who's into cars at my age to be honest and promise to drive it responsibly while learning about the car and myself, I want to feel it's rumble inside me!

Nevermind the front end, I'd like it if it had more cargo space than what's behind the seats

Why? The other door was open and I wasn't leaving her there.

Very nice, the bitch too

>Lighter than an AW11
>Better power / weight ratio
>6-speed transmission

It's a shame you're caught up ont he headlights though, user.

Most important of all

>no ricer tax

Its one of those cars that are begging to be riced

I don't like all the ricer shit, but making the front end look taller with a larger bumper and smaller headlights would definitely help the look of the car.

>Making the front end of any car taller

Positively retarded.

You make it look taller than stock by having a bumper that's lower to the ground.

i like the mr-s

>Not wanting a larger opening in the fascia to collect more air for the intercooler

It's like you hate performance

those lips make that thing look so much cooler imo

>MR fags have to worry about dying every corner in the rain
No we don't

The happy face just makes it feel like it's trying to be a Miata.

I know what you mean. I like it when the car tries to kill me every now and again when I'm having fun. Tis fun

>MR car
>putting the intercooler in the front

TIP TOPPEST OF LELS M8

am I kawaii?

The fuck is this shit? I don't even care if it helps, that's just as retarded looking as a pink Miata driven by George Takei

how is the pseudomanuel transmission that some of the zz30s came with? was always intrigued by those

reporting in

>not using your intercooler as a rear spoiler
disappointed

ebay.com/itm/1985-1989-Toyota-MR2-Basket-Weave-OEM-Wheel-Set-of-4-See-Description-/122001504149

Is this a good price for OEM wheels for my aw11?

The wheels i have now are beyond ricer shit from the P.O. and these seem okay and have that period correct style i like. Is the damage on the lip of one a deal breaker?

It would come out to about 200 bucks shipped.

until some coon comes along in the parking lot and bends all the metal fins