2015 Ford Fiesta or 2014 Chevy Spark?

2015 Ford Fiesta or 2014 Chevy Spark?

My wife is getting a new car(that must be a hatchback, don't ask why). She's leaning very heavily towards the Spark, while I'm leaning towards the Fiesta. We have an 8 year old who will be over 6 feet by the time he hits early teens and I'd prefer something larger. Haven't heard much about the Spark at all, I know some people who have Fiestas and they like them.

Thoughts?

Ae86

I would choose Ford just because I have more faith in them. Chevy seems to cheap out a lot. And my Fiesta has been great. surprisingly spacious, I'm 6'4, and almost 35mpg mixed, and that's with the 5 speed not the 6 speed. It's a nice cheap daily driver, I have no regrets.

Neither. They're both shitboxes.

*almost 36mpg mixed
my bad

Thanks. Mileage is an issue for her as well. Used to have a Honda Fit and we spent so little on gas that she wants to keep it that way.

Don't go down this path. He will appreciate you so much more if you don't buy these shitheaps

Its not my call. I said right in the OP that it has to be a hatchback. It's her choice because the car we're replacing was hers. I'm trying to show her the best option out of that. I'd rather just get another Fit but she doesn't want another one for some reason.

No he won't. He's a fucking kid, he won't appreciate shit.

Get the fiesta, then when he gets his beginner's he can use it as a learner car since it will be a shitbox by then and your wife can move on to something newer.

It will be 8 years before he can drive. Ignore his requirements.

The Fiesta will be running fine in 8 years. An electric car will not. GM products will not.

I should probably clarify:

The bit about my son was in relation to him just having room to sit in the car, not drive it. I don't give two shits about his opinion.

That being said, my wife wants to get something that will last her 10 years or so. I'm thinking the Ford has better chance of that as opposed to the Chevy.

>2014 Chevy Spark

isn't that a piece of shit daewoo?

get the fiesta

In eight years, he'll fit in the passenger seat just fine, or buy his own car to drive himself places.

Anything GM won't last the warranty period, let alone a decade. There's a reason they have to be bailed out every so often.

>my wife wants to get something that will last her 10 years or so...
>I'm thinking the Ford
ayy

get a 2002-2005 civic si, or a honda fit I guess

Fiesta, easily. Chebby can't into subcompacts.

In 7 years, we only put 53,000 miles on the Fit. My commute is 12 miles a day total. I'm assuming the Ford will last me longer than the Spark if we're not putting a lot of mileage on it.

It is indeed a Daewoo Kalos.

Ford definitely has a better chance of lasting longer, in my opinion.

But like this guy said If you want true reliability the japanese have cornered that market for a long time, at least with their older cars.

Depends how much you drive too of course. My fiesta has only 40k on it and I've had it for 3 years. Haven't even had to touch it except for engine and cabin air filters as per maintenance schedule.

It's bigger (probably safer), roomier, gets the same mpg, and looks better imo than a spark. plus daewoo and gm don't exactly have stellar track records.

Why do you get a say in your wifes car anyway, is she not buying it herself? Marriage makes no sense to me.

I'd get a manual Fiesta, the 3 Cylinder 1.0L 5-speed Ecoboost is especially neat for MPGs, the ST is also very nice but might be sportier than what she wants.

The regular Fiesta is fine also of course, I would trend towards manuals with Ford though. Might be worth trying a Mazda 3 and a Focus as well.

don't the new imprezas start for like $18k? seems like it'd be a lot roomier and more practical.

are you more interested in the sub-compact hatches? if so, why not the honda fit?

>roomier than a hatch
no bitch

I would get the manual too obviously for reliability, but OP should be aware the 5 speed likes to cruise at 65mph. Anything more than that it starts to get loud and run out of gearing.

I take mine to 80 or 85 sometimes, but it's really happier at like 70 or below. And even at 70 it's at 3k rpm. If it was a six speed I would get sick mpgs.

Mines a 2012 so compare the gearing if they changed it at all.

Look at other options, such as the Kia Rio or Forte.

The DCT in the Fiesta is known for being plagued with problems. If your wife drives a manual, I'd say go for the Fiesta.

I think that was only in the early iterations of focus and fiesta. They had a lot of recalls and think they revised later cars. But, manual is still much better for reliability just in general.

I have the 6 speed in the ST and I can cruise at 3k rpms @75mph which is pretty nice but I shift much more than I have in other cars trying to dodge as much low speed pre-ignition as possible.

Get a tesler model x

Get a focus rs

The Chevrolet economy cars really seemed outclassed by the competition to me when I saw them at the auto show.

i have fiesta, Im 6'1 i can seat easily behind my driving position, im getting 32 mpg in urban cycle, my car only does city

>buying a car for the wife's son
ayy lmao

dont ever post in my or my wife's son's thread again.

>Caring about the kid

The only thing you have to consider for your kid is that he can perfectly sit in there nothing else

How does a Mazda 3 hatchback compare to a Ford Fiesta?

More expensive generally, but slightly bigger. Very similar to the Ford Focus (though not identical anymore).

>considering any gm car ever
Fiesta, hands down

only get a fiesta if youre planning to go manual, the DCT is fucking garbage. If that's a deal breaker, then get neither and start considering an impreza or mazda3

Unless you are buying the ST for fun factor neither will serve your purposes better than a Buick Encore

>Tfw friend's Chevy Spark outpaces my 03 TL-S because it's 1000 lbs lighter and smaller
OP I would opt for the Fiesta. The Spark is somewhat spacious upfront but it's tight in the back, it'd be hard to keep a teen content with no leg room. Trunk room could also be better, but it's not. The internal material build quality is utter shit, although Ford won't be much better.

>must be a hatchback

have you consider the Ford C-Max? it has a taller roof line for your 6ft tall mutant teenager and good on gas, on top of being much more powerful and significantly more refined, for relatively the same price.

Chevy Bolt.