Help plz I'm fucked

>driving with almost no rear differential fluid because of leak
>hear grinding noises from both front wheels
>find out rear diffs share fluid with wheel bearings

What kind of damage am I looking at? What would be the best method to fix all of this?

Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 2004

Other urls found in this thread:

timken.com/EN-US/products/lubrication/technical/Pages/FillDriveAxles.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

"Maybe if I ignore my car being broken it'll go away!"

You had it coming

I'm poor. Plz no banter.

Just finance something outside of your means then, I hear poor people do that

I never took a loan out in my life for anything. It was a mistake to wait last minute but now I want to learn how to fix it my self so I can stop being poor. I know where I can get some cheap parts, just need some advise from you guys now.

You're fucking retarded too. You're gonna need basically a whole new rear end. And do you mean not only were you driving with very little rear diff fluid, and then you also heard a grinding noise from the front? 4wd or 2wd? Because you're fucked either way but one is gonna be a lot more expensive.

>can't afford a few bucks to redo axle and pinion seals
You shouldn't be driving.

If you have to ask how to fix this, there's no chance in hell you'd manage. Bearings usually aren't that bad unless you're in the rust belt but there's no way in hell a dumbass like you could manage a rear diff rebuild.

It's has 4wd but I never use it.

Didn't know, shady mechanics were telling me it was gonna be a $800 job. This is why I wanna learn how to fix it my self.

Welp, you're fucked. That grinding noise could have been your front diff, cv axles, or unlikely, your wheel bearings. Solid axle or IFS?

How can I find out if it's a Solid axle or IFS? Thanks for your help btw.

Just found out, it's IFS.

Does the noise happen when turning or does it happen on straights as well?

Also if you could get pics from multiple angles that would help.

The noise happens mostly when slowing down or braking regardless of driving straight or turning, I don't really hear anything when going normal speeds. The truck is not at this location so I cant take pics.

It happens mostly in slow speeds.

The front right wheel sounds worse than the left wheel.

Well without pics I can only guess, so I'll follow KISS and say take your front wheels off and look at the brakes.

Also, just so you know, even with a gear oil leak topping up a rear diff usually takes a 3/8ths drive ratchet and some 10$ oil. So you may have cost yourself in the hundreds to thousand dollar range for something you could've easily prevented. And both axle seals and a pinion seal would've been around 50$ at an auto parts store.

Thanks so much man. So you think it's the brakes? Do you think the rear diffs are ok, It's topped up now and I haven't heard any noises from that area?

.>15203158
>find out rear diffs share fluid with wheel bearings
What?

That ship sailed kid.

Someone told me the reardiffs share the fluid with the wheel bearings.

He should have put the engine in the back so he could do drifts better.

Someone is fucking dumbass.

Um some axles do actually share fluid between the bearings and diff. In fact it's standard procedure on some axles to jack up one side to allow fluid to coat the bearings before driving off.

The bait is strong in this one.

>hey guys I'm retarded

timken.com/EN-US/products/lubrication/technical/Pages/FillDriveAxles.aspx

>Thinking Dodge uses that
Retard alert

You must be fucking retarded.

Solid axles do in fact share fluid with the outer axle bearings, which are the wheel bearings. Hurr durr, durfa derp derp derp.

>moving goalposts
Log out

Present some evidence then faggot.

How to fix:
>Buy a repair manual
>buy tools necessary to carry repairs or rent garage so you can do it on your own
>Basically remove a lot of car to fix it and put it back together.
I don't think you are capable and either way, repair will cost you around 1000$ if you didn't screw up anything else etc.

>driving with almost no rear differential fluid because of leak
It's your own fault.
MAINTAIN YOUR VEHICLE.
YOUR VEHICLE IS YOUR LIFE.

What would it mean if the noise happened when turning or on straights?

Does OP's truck model share the fluid?

Depends on what axle he has, but IIRC most dana axles do.

OP here, how fucked am I? What do you make out of it? Could it just be the brakes like this guy says ?

The rear diff does share fluid with the rear wheel bearings, but not the front ones. Your two problems are unrelated

We're not fucking tell you until you tell us if it happens turning or on straights, first.

Thanks.

Nigger you are dumb as fuck. Like I said before all of this is speculation. If you wanna know if it's your brakes or not pull a tire off and see.

OP, if in fact your rear diff is shot, just get a used one from a salvage yard. They come with a 1 to 2 year warranty. We do it all the time at the body shop. Just do the usual maintenence first when you install it.

As far as the front grinding, listen to everyone else. Check your brakes first.

Judging from this, I would check the U-joints up there if you have them. They sometimes make a crackling sound (like running over dry leaves) when they've gone bad and you're slowing down.

Considering it's a dodge I bet they're fucked by virtue.

op here, it was just loose lug nuts. thanls for the help guise. bye

You re not replacing s ring and pinion gear the first time you grab a wrench.
The whole diff assembly is probably fucked to as are the axle bearings. You may have grooves cut into your axles to if you drive it far enough with no fluid.

Check the bone yards for a rear axle and hope you get lucky. Cause buying all that shit and paying for a mechanic to do it is going to cost a lot.