So I want a Small Pick Up Truck like a Toyota Tacoma or Ford Ranger...

So I want a Small Pick Up Truck like a Toyota Tacoma or Ford Ranger. First post in Veeky Forums so you can eat my ass if you got shit to say. I just need help ya Nogs.

On a budget or in the rust belt
>Ranger

Out of the rust belt and don't mind paying the price
>Tacoma

Both are widely available used and pretty much invincible.

Rangers will be cheaper because people are idiots and fan boys pay the "Toyota tax"

Get a Ranger. My grandfather bought one brand new in 89. Only thing we have replaced is the clutch, sparK plugs, brakes, and tires. It has over 300k miles on it, and I still routinely use it to haul things and tow a john boat. It's literally unkillable

Kinda was personally leaning toward Ranger. Heard better things. Thanks guys

Don't mind the trolls op, Rangers are complete shitboxes. Get the Taco

Guys please. Y'all are gonna give me an aneurism

OP here. I need someone to just give me pros n cons on both cars. Don't need bias shit to deal with.

Guys don't leave me hanging (OP)

Gonna kms

Rangers a shit. Get a s10. Look up ricer miata on and he gives you the rundown on why you don't want a ranger.

Any ranger with an OHV engine will be VERY reliable.

The SOHC 4.0 has timing chain cassest problems.

For the money they cost you can get a nice ranger with a 3.0 and 4x4.

Wont be fast and will be gutless but it will be unkillable.

anyways here's my cute little ranger

OP

listen to me

OP

don't ever pay that pickup truck tax

everyone wants a truck

you are paying a minimum $2000 premium for that truck bed

add another 2000-3000$ premium for that toyota tax

just buy a 2nd gen explorer

then purchase a utility cart

its the best of both worlds

you have a roomy covered wagon SUV for everything

and you can hitch on the truck cart when you need to haul wood or dirtbikes or whatever the fuck you're planning

They are literally priced and speced the same only chebbys get
>economy
>Style
>Reliability
And the added bonus of not being a Ford.

>have a roomy covered wagon SUV for everything
not necessary when you have no friends to carry around t.

Bullshit. I found plenty of shitty old rangers for 1500 bucks, some with decent paint. I paid 2400 for my 4x4 97 hardbody with 137k in fair shape. I paid a little bit of Nippon tax for a vehicle that isn't even available in Nippon.

i have a 03 s10, and i find it a fun little truck to have.

>disagrees with me
>he's a troll
fucking summerfags

Get a Ford Ranger T6.

Look what you can make out of it:

Or get the latest T7

I love the hell out of my Ranger. I couldn't afford the toyota tax, so that left me with one option. I've never regretted it.

sup potential ranger senpai

this is my '98 3.0 XLT, it is bulletproof

taco probably gets better gas mileage but these trucks never die.

What about Dakota's?

first vehicle was a 3.0L Ford Ranger without the 4x4, they are literally unkillable
>curbed that shit doing mad rain day drifts a few times
>played rally truck on numerous gravel roads
>Louisiana potholes
>oil changes regularly going over 11k past due
>sustained 97mph between work and school
>general abuse only a used first vehicle can get

Rangers are goat teir

/thread

OP here. To the dudes suggesting to get newer models. I just want a simple looking truck. And yea Ranger sounds like what I'm going with.

I love my D21, but I'll probably buy a ranger in the future anyways.

With that said, find a rural area to buy a truck in, because city slickers have a bad habit of charging the truck tax. Its nothing more then an explorer missing the roof in the back.

Convince me not to get an explorer sport trac

BrO-P Here.

So found a '02 4WD 4L XLT for 7400 good or no? Requesting VIN just gotta wait a while

Ford pros:
>cheap vehicles, cheap parts
>really cheap
>generally reliable if maintenanced
Ford cons:
>ford designs/ implements stuff weird
>which can make replacing parts harder, especially in the engine bay
>they tend to have a huge factory tolerance for leaking/burning oil, as if they're designed to run like that (this could be a plus?)
>source: a Cologne 4.0 consuming less than a quart of oil every 1k miles is in spec

Toyota pros:
>generally unkillable
>loves deferred/ improper maintenance
>lighter body than Ranger, slightly more off road capability when stock than ranger

Toyota cons:
>rust
>toy taco tax
>P/Os thinking they need no maintenance for 10 years and driving good ones into the ground

Other honorable mentions:
>Nissan D21
pro: cheap and very reliable
con: not the best off-roader, stock paint a shit
>Mazda B-series
pro: early models are solid and later models are ranger clones
con: weird ford stuff
>Mitsubishi Mighty Max
pro: hoonability
con:availibity

How's the mileage on those? I'm not sure if it was bullshit or not but someone told me a SFA diesel Hilux can get ~30mpg highway and the IFS ones a little less.

dropping few pics of my ranger, ignore or laugh.

Takes a licking keep on ticking

Hows my gap?

Decided to lower it

Can't wait to get all the parts for the swap

But hey, at least its low mileage.

According to the filename, the gap is yes

D21 Owner, I can tell a few things. Frame and body rust will come if you don't keep care of it, the engines in the things are bulletproof, but have a very common timing chain issue, and also the D21 has a speedometer issue. Mine is about 21 years old and the only problem I have had was a ball joint going out. You'll be able to find decent ones between $600 and 1400, but you have to look out for what you get, could cost you more in the long run.

I got a Sonoma. Cheap and runs like a champ. Iffy on mileage but its reliable. I havent had a single issue at all with it since I bought it. I would recommend it

I'm weary of the 4.0 SOHC Rangers. I had that motor in my '99 Explorer, and I learned that the timing tensioners go bad at 100k. I didn't have the $1200 to fix it, and couldn't find reliable advice on how to do it myself, so I wound up trading for my current 3.0 Ranger. The 3.0 is hella slower, but I love that it will literally be spinning after the Sun collapses.

Tacomafag here, both trucks are reliable as fuck.
My buddy has an 91 Ranger and its never given him any problems besides a fuel pump.
My Tacoma has never given me any problems besides swapping out the radiator and waterpump.

Rangers are going to be wayyy cheaper and are more common in junkyards.
Tacomas are more expensive cause lolTacomatax. Theres never any Tacomas in junkyards but you can pull parts from 4Runners.

My Tacoma is a 2003 v6 PreRunner, its got 206k miles on it now.
Only complaint i have is that the v6 5vz is a little underpowered and gets the same mpgs as a v8, 18-21mpgs.
The i4 is worse on power and maybe gets 2-3mpgs better.

>tfw love my truck but with it had a v8

>being that much of a poorfag

The transmission failed on my 3.0 at 188k because I was racing it daily and the engine's still good. Swapping it for a 4.6 atm

BrO-P here again.

Vin got checked in the VIN thread and car is all good. Just gotta got the cash. Thanks for all the advice its been very helpful.

My B4000 is the best car I've ever owned

Look at a 2005 and newer nissan frontier. V6 is powerful.

is that a double cab long bed tacoma?

why?

this

looks pretty sweet
i like it
heres my tacoma

tis but a scratch

how's the S10 compare to the Ranger?

My first real car was an 09 ranger, 4.0, auto, 2wd, reg cab long bed. About 280k miles when i bought her. She cost me 500 bucks. Mom worked for a company that had a lot of fleet vehicles they sold off every so often so I bought me one just before I turned 16. She left a spot of atf everywhere she was parked. The tranny sometimes slipped out of first and dropped back in like a second later til it warmed up. The battery drained every two days if she didn't get drove. But she was a damn good truck and i loved her. She hauled firewood, she pulled trailers, she took me to the fishing holes, she ripped mad one wheel peels when I wanted her to, and she drifted on the backroads like a damn rally car. Lost my virginity in the bed of that truck one summer night under a sky full of stars. Goddamn I loved that truck. After a few years dad passed down his 91 Dodge W250 Cummins so I sold the Ranger for a little bit of a profit. That's my Ranger story, might not be incredibly helpful for you deciding on which truck to buy, but well here it is anyways.

Tacomas and Rangers are both badass little trucks, you'll be happy with whichever one you pick. I've heard bad things about the 3.0 Ford engines though, so if I was gonna buy another I'd get a 4.0

Do want

First car was that fucker in your pic.

0-60 in 57 seconds, could get stuck on flat, dry asphalt.

But I drove it like I stole it for like 6 years, sold it, family drove it another 4, they sold it, and someone else is STILL driving it.

I beat the shit out of it and it just kept going. It was well over 250k miles when I sold it.

It was slow, it was weak, but it was fucking TOUGH.

Somewhat related:

The explorers and blazers from the same range have much better drivetrains and can hold far more. Also the Blazer 6 cyl from that range is fucking bullet proof and 4x4 pretty good (weight distribution, good ground clearance.) They're also extremely common and super fucking cheap.

I couldn't recommend a

It will never do real truck things