Truck thread

How badly did I fuck up, Veeky Forums ?

> 1985 Ford 250 XL 4x4
> 460 V8 automatic
> mechanically solid except for a leaking manifold gasket
> bought it for $1300 off some nu-male that was trying to scrape up cash for his student loans
> new radiator, brakes, carb, alternator & starter

In the near future I'm going to try a 7.3 or 6.9 IDI swap as well as a manual if I can find a good ZF5

Also truck thread I guess?

>nice truck for 1300$
Ya didnt fuck up you peach cobbler

Seems like a good buy.

I also forgot to mention that it's fairly rusty. At least the frame is straight and there's no holes or cracks in it.

Body-wise it will need new fenders and floor pans at the very least.

Ayyyyy, 80s truck bro. I had an '86 with a 460, you can expect about 10mpg highway with it and your c6. Now I have an '85 with a 6.9 and can get about 18mpg highway. Also, the 7.3 is literally a 6.9 but bored, stroked, and with weaker cylinder walls but larger headbolts.

PO said he got 8 mpg on average. Hopefully when I fix the manifold and get better tires it should go up a bit.

Also why the fuck does this thing have 2 fuel tanks? Only one seems to be hooked up at the moment, the other one is full of holes and doesn't look like it's been used in awhile.

>why does it have 2 fuel tanks?

So you can increase your range?

every ford that has 2 fuel tanks, only one of them works

it has 2 because the other one will go out

mine leaked gas when you turned from the extra tank.

Most from this gen did. And they have wiring issues sometimes. The folks over at the Ford truck enthusiast forum are a huge help, like some of these dudes have done frame-up restorations. In the end it's a simple setup on paper, but gets difficult. And for about $150 you could get a new plastic tank online, or you can get larger capacity tanks.

>Late model regular cab Tacomas with the 5 speed manual are still hrd to find for a good price
>Late model regular cab 1/2 ton GMT900 Silverados that aren't beat to shit are still hard to find

I won't bother buying new tanks since I'll most likely be doing a diesel swap in the near future anyway.

For now the plan is just to do the bare minimum to keep the 460 running until I can find an IDI donor truck and a manual to go with it.

>swapping out the 460

pleb

>not just buying a diesel f250/350 4x4 manual in the first place

who the fuck swaps a ford truck? white trash

>regular cab

ifs a full-sized, who gives a fuck. extended cab is better

Maybe it's because I don't want an engine that gets 8 mpg on a good day?

I wanted a bullnose and the good ones that came with an IDI and a manual from the factory are going for 8 grand or more.

While you're at it, you could also make it 4x4 cause
>Lol open diff 2x4

>Wanting to compromise a longer wheelbase or shorter bed when you have literally no reason for extra passenger space

WHY?
H
Y
?

I like having a 20' truck tho

not him, but i have a dog which is larger than your entire body and his ass never sits the in front seat

My father had four F250s and all had no problems with the fuel tanks

They were all 1996-97 as well, two 7.3 and two gas (I forget the size, perhaps 351)

That is not a Chevy. You fucked up big-time.

>imblying

I'm on my second German Shep and my second Bernese Mountain Dog. I have no doubt either of them could fit in the passenger seat. Hell, a Leonberger or Mastiff could fit in the passenger seat of a Tacoma, especially with the bench seat that the manual has.

>$8k

i can find a powerstroke for that much. there's plenty of deezls around here

>

my favorite trucks aesthetic wise is the SCSB. but its the worst to own.

single cab upsets my claustrophobia

I feel like people avoid buying them because they're scared of muh mpg. Sold a 1975 f250 camper special for 1000 with basically nothing wrong with it. No one wanted the absolute fucking titanic yacht. Also
>2 wheel drive

Depends on how you care for it, etc. I bought mine from a coastal town where it got eated by salt air and shit for 30 years, and was abused.
Also, I think would like my truck
>6.9
>4x4
>4 speed
>Limited slip rear end
>$1900

>1989 f150 lariet
>351w 3spd auto 4x4
>single cab, long bed

sold mine for $900. frame was rust-free but the body was drove through the woods

wish i still had to for some off-roadin' but it was a gas hog piece of farm equipment

I wish I had pictures of the truck still. It was puke green. 70s man, it was comfy as fuck.
>dat 460 burble
>dat 7 mpg
>only one of the gas tanks works
>it's the 12 gallon reserve

>In the near future I'm going to try a 7.3 or 6.9 IDI swap as well as a manual if I can find a good ZF5
Cummins swap it if you're going to swap it at all.

I avoid buying them because people still charge ungodly money for them around here.

90-something F250, 460, 5 speed, 100-something thousand miles, rotted to hell and back, sheet metal riveted on to patch the holes so it can pass inspection, $3500.

Same body style, but with a dump bed and a 7.3, 5 speed, 40-something thousand miles, dually 4x4 farm truck, $3,000.

1997 powerstroke, couple mods, 100-something thousand miles, $5k.

I just want a decent truck to haul shit with.

Cummins don't go in Ford you cancer.

>muh brand purity
IDIs are fucking shit. It's a Ford F-Series, it's not like it's a rarity or anything.

>I wanted a bullnose and the good ones that came with an IDI and a manual from the factory are going for 8 grand or more.
>mfw I bought my own diesel F-350 for $1500
>mfw I sold it for $2500

Where the hell do you live?

>diesel F-350 for $1500
damn nigga i'm jelly

It was a SRW crew cab. I wound up selling it because I never used the damn thing.

you are full of shit because large dogs cannot sit in the front seat like people do

they can only do so temporarily

Wisconsin here. I think people just skipped the ad thinking it was a shit pile of rust. 130k miles never winter driven in the 25 year history I knew of it. Minor rust for the year, 19 year old bought it because his girlfriend liked it.
They drove 80 miles to get it. Had 6 gallons of gas in the 12 gallon tank.
>rip

What? My doggo sits up so she can put her snout out the window.

>Be me, Waukesha county
>Friend finds a CL listing of a late 80s F150, I6 and 5 speed, RWD, little body rust, runs well
>He plans on using it for a welding truck
>Drive all the way up to Ripon with him
>He buys it for $750

That was a good day.

How is the truck market down in the southeast?

In 8 months or so I plan on escaping the degeneracy of the northeast and move south (probs northern georgia).

I got a 01 Taurus that has lived in the salt belt all it's life, so the rockers are gone and its rusty as shit. So it's gonna get shit canned.

I'd love to get an older truck, something between the 70's and 80's. My nips are rock hard at the thought of any older truck that isn't rusted to shit.

How much dough would I have to cough up to get something decent down there? Just lookin something that runs and has a decent body.

You'll find a lot of old farm trucks that run great, aren't rusted to shit, but have bodies that ARE beat to shit. Sometimes you'll also occasionally find a nice one for cheap.

>Missed out on a cherry '88 Comanche for $1200 last week

Fuck me

Posting my cuck truck.

Not a ferd guy myself OP, but sounds like a decent deal. Paid 3k for mine, beat the shit out of the 305/th350 for a year and spent nearly twice what I paid for the truck on drivetrain a month and a half ago.

6.9 idi bay

>bronco takes the higher ground, and avoids all the mud
Fuck mud.

That's not a bad deal, you did well

>looking at first gen 4x4 5spd cummins, 10k original miles, completely mint to 7,000,000 miles and beat to shit
>every ad mentions the not broken in yet meme
>They all cost 10k

Ford F-650
5.9 Cummins 2000-2006
6.7 Cummins 2007-present

Check mate atheists

mechanical 12 valves do last a very long time tho

I know, I own one. The problem is these are really 1970s era trucks masquerading as a 90s product. They aren't worth anything near what is being asked. A Ford or Chevy of the same vintage or even the 80s is literally a night and day experience in comparison to a Dodge.

It's more image and name recognition than actual substance at this point. The real nice thing is, once you get the 6BT, they are significantly cheaper to maintain and parts are very common assuming you don't need to source parts for the Getrag. Those are either unobtainium or big money.

The 1st gen scene reminds me of the military deuce and CUCV thing. They were once cheap, great vehicles. Now? Horribly priced for as impractical as they are.

that's muh dad pulling me out. ;-;

Does anyone else find that the old trucks are completely fine or completely falling apart....like I drove my truck 10k miles with no problems then it all went to pot

Hey, welcome to the south man. Enjoy your stay. So many people have trucks here the market tends to be good. I see plenty of fair condition mid size trucks going below 2500.

> implying chevys are any better.

I put nearly 25,000 miles on my truck in the year I've had it so far. Over 4,000 more now on the new motor and trans.

So far:

>wiper motor went out in winter
>license plate light blows in a day
>heater core went 4 days ago
>replaced factory radiator when I bought it
>caliper/rotor/pads up front when I bought it
>new tires

das it mane. Old motor and trans never even went out, I just planned on a swap when I bought it.

Thanks, glad to gtfo of NH again. Taxes cost $4100 a year and get jack shit in return. Cops can't bother to show up when called, roads are shit, schools are shit, everything is shit. Plus everyone is O'Ding on heroine. People are assholes and I hate living right next to people in the city.

At least once the house is all fixed up it will sell for around 80k more than I paid for it.

Looking forward to getting a house out in the country with a decent lot and a 2 car garage. With any luck I might be able plink there too.

No salt is going to be a godsend, I hate dealing with rust so much.

hey op, i found your thread on FTE lol. imma friend you

If you're gonna plink, do it the right way and build a bern so you don't have to worry about bullets going anywhere. It's safer, and lets you shoot all your guns instead of just your small stuff.

going to pick up a bed for the 71 in the morning