What's a good car to travel long distances and sleep in?

What's a good car to travel long distances and sleep in?

a comfy sedan and a hotel.

Buy an old work van, strip everything aside from the front seats, build a platform, order a foam twin size mattress for 200 bucks, build storage racks for tools and essentials, install another battery in the back for mini fridge and lighting, buy propane stove, buy totes from walk mart for storage. Done

My friend did this and just lives in his van now. He's been travelling the US for the past 4 years and living every second of it

Astrovan

-Cheap to buy
-Cheap to maintain
-Parts are plentiful if needed
-Low 20s MPG(not bad for a home)
-Plenty of room for extra shit
-Reliable

Im 3 years into vanlife myself.

Van costed under a grand to buy/setup and gas is cheaper than rent was. I miss having a garage but dont miss the rest of it at all.

>30 year old van
>American
>reliable

>20 year old van
>golden years of chevy
>not bad for something you can live in. lol

I drove him to buy it when he finally made the decision. We went to Lowe's immediately afterwards. We got everything he needed and he was on the road in less than a week. Only thing he ended up forgetting/installing later was curtains for the windows and and sheet behind the front seats for added privacy. I love my job, my cars, and my gf, but I can't help but be jealous sometimes. The dude gets to live in national parks for weeks at a time.

Are you retarded? Do you know how many 30 year old american shitboxes are on the road? They are unkillable. I had a friend with a F100 that had over 350K miles on the motor. He had full coverage because it was cheap as fuck and his deductible was 200 bucks. He tried running the motor with no oil so he could get a 200 dollar engine swap, and the fucking thing refused to lock up or overheat. I'm never seen anything like it.

I did it solo for a little over a year then met a girl who was so intrigued so decided to join in for an adventure. Shes been with for a year and half now.

I will admit, one person in a proper setup van is all the room you could ever want. Two people gets cramped. I still feel rich with space compared to a backpack, but it was nice having room for bullshit like RC cars haha

Shut the fuck up faggot, American cars were never fucking reliable and that's how Japanese cars became so popular once they sorted out their early paint rust problems.

And not everyone wants to live in an old death trap without modern safety structure and rigidity.

>He tried running the motor with no oil so he could get a 200 dollar engine swap, and the fucking thing refused to lock up or overheat.
>this random example doesn't blow up without oil
This is how you pick a taddle tale on an anonymous image board.

Also, replying to lowest common denominator shitposts.

Anything you can put down the rear seats in and have space to take a nap. Toss in an inflatable mattress and a blanket and you're good. I forget which generation (saw a 2002 that could do it) but the Honda CRV has seats that can recline 180 degrees into shitty beds and has a table folded up under the trunk. Vans you can straight up live in but if you just need a place to crash for a night then it gets easier.

>not living in a micro home trailer
Micro homes are extremely fascinating to me, and apparently not too much of a hassle to tow with the right truck or suv

Bitch to park is the only downside. Needs hookups and what not. Cant free style nearly as much as campervan/car. Still fricken awesome, but you pay out the ass for camp grounds and sheetz

Serious question, how in hell do you afford to adventure around in a van? I can't see how you can have a discernible income for fuel and food while on the move and that's my big concern with such an adventure.

The answer is always Miata

Take out early retirement funds, save up, etc.

ie don't live paycheck to paycheck like a wageslave cuck

So you just coast on savings until they run out and the adventure ends?

Anything remotely livable in is going to be a death trap
Traditional RV's are 90% plywood

i work 6 months a year

Confirmed retard. Weebshit became popular because they were cheap and fuel efficient. Literally the reasons they still are popular. The only weebshit cars you'll find in America pre-1973 with any regularity are Datsun pickups and Zs

It's not hard, if you're already living in a van housing is insurance+fuel, even with a minimum wage job you could coast comfortably after a year of work
Or work on weekends and go adventuring during the week

Literally a house on wheels.

I used to sleep in my SAAB 95 Sportwagon when touring Europe. You can get a double mattress in the back.

w124te / w124td.
The rear seats fold completely flat and it's better than a van for driving long distance

Xj Cherokees are one of the most reliable vehicles EVER though

confirmed for not knowing anything about the history of the automotive industry, or at the very least NUMMI

I own a Silverado and a Sentra from the same year. The Silverado has 250k on it and the Sentra has 180k.

In the three years I've owned it, my truck has only broken down once, and the replacement parts are cheap and always in stock. That little shitty nip car of mine breaks down all the time, and replacement parts cost twice as much as my Chevy's do. I'll also have to wait a day or two to get parts for the car.

>awww but muh Jap meme

>all American cars are 70s cars

>Nissan

There's your problem. Nissan and Mitsu are the worst nip brands.

Gtr btfo corvette tho

>"I can pick and choose when it's convenient"
Older foreign parts are more expensive and rarely readily available if you live in the states. That's a fact.

Crown Victoria and sleep in hotels

+ massive trunk to hold all your stuff and secure it
+ comfortable
+ excellent highway cruiser
+ reliable
+ can handle less forgiving roads with ease
+ 24 mpg if you cruise at 60 mph/100 km/h
+ A/C dosent burden the engine at all
+ big gas tank so dosent need frequent fill ups
+ 09+ can run on regular gasoline or E85
+ very hard for them to over heat
+ cheap to fix in case of breakdown
+ fullsize spare tire
+ Alot of leg room if youre a big guy (for you)

- shitty fuel economy for stop and go city driving
- big, hard to park if youre used to small cars
- shitty turn radius (40 feet)

Cant think of any other cons. Its my DD and ive been on road trips with it. In 2005 drove over 8000 kms from Montreal all over the Atlantic Maritimes (New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland/Labrador) then in 2012 I drove my Uncle's Crown Vic from Seattle down to Los Angeles and back up both times taking the scenic route up and down the West Coast, that was a few thousand miles. Been down to NY with mine a few times and Toronto too both 6+ hour drives.

My Uncles 05 Crown vic has 450 000 kms on the original engine and still runs perfectly, my '11 has 146 000 kms

The car loves the highways is all I can say I'd much rather drive it than a compact.

If you had a Corolla or Civic, you wouldn't have had those problems. That's just a fact.

How's that cherry you just picked taste?

>Corolla
>Civic
>he literally bases his all opinions off of memes from an anonymous imageboard

>What's a good car to travel long distances and sleep in?
Any wagon or van.

>American cars have never been reliable

Ive had 2 crown victorias and 1 nissan maxima and the crown vics have both been more reliable than the nissan which was still decently reliable. Parts for the nissan are twice as expensive as the ones for my crown vics. I only buy OEM parts for my cars. Fuck off. Some Japanese cars are extremely reliable, just as some American cars are extremely reliable. Both have their share of shitty cars.

My grandfather had a 90s chevy lumina which had amassed 370 000 kms and scrapped it because it was falling apart due to rust but the engine and trans were problem free

My uncle has an 05 crown vic with 450 000 kms on the original engine

im sorry you have autism

>assblastted gm fangrill

nice aim memester

i had a 80s dodge camper with 999xxx kms on the odometer that had been broken for years