What's the best aftermarket GPS? my car doesn't have a GPS and doesn't have a bay for one in the console...

what's the best aftermarket GPS? my car doesn't have a GPS and doesn't have a bay for one in the console. I need to mount it on my dash

Your phone.

>>>>>needing a GPS

Fucking plebs I swear

Lowrance

Google Maps

TomTom, or Garmin. Fuck Magellan. Also, the google maps apps on android phones are glorious, as is Waze.

With your phone, you have traffic monitoring live as well as predicted.

It is also a system ran off of phones, so you would be helping the cause.

Other shit probably does this now though, but your phone is free and if you already listen to music off it, seamless.

You're what the world describes as a laggard.

you shouldn't need gps unless you travel for work or live in boston. these are literally the only times.

you fat fucks

I don't want to use my phone. I want a standalone gps unit.

aftermarket GPS! you guys are worse than /g/

They really are obsolete though

anything that will run google maps will be better.

Stand-alone GPS are obsolete, nobody makes them anymore and phone GPS gets more frequently updated and maintained.

I'm not saying you have to use your phone, but it's superior and cheaper.

Get a nokia Windows phone with their "here" maps app then download the map of the state/country/continent/earth over wifi so you can use it without needing wifi/data. Then plug it into a car charger and place it in the cradle. A stand alone gps will need a charger hook up anyways.

But we're not worse than /g/. Your phone is actually superior in this case instead of having a watch or standalone mp3 player.

Can't stress this enough. Standalone GPS will fuck you in the ass for updates. Just get Maps or Waze (both are Google ran now anyway) and save a few hundred bucks user.

More like luddite

You are fucking retarded dude, more than one board has told you the same shit and you still don't get it you autist

I don't want to use my fucking phone! it's a battery hog and reasons!

Buy a cheap Walmart phone and windshield holder then, you don't need to get the latest iPhoneâ„¢ just to have GPS display.

I use a Garmin hiking GPS as a speedo on road trips. I have it mounted on my windshield with a ram mount. No, it won't navigate for me (I use a map, you know the paper thing with all the squigly lines on it), but it keeps my attention more on the road because instead on glancing down, it's always in my view, and I just have to focus a few degrees right to read it clearly.

Does nobody understand how GPS works?

For Google maps you need a data plan + GPS. They stopped doing map caching like they used to.

What happens if you get somewhere and lose cell signal? How do you find your way then? Maps don't load without data on phones, unlike the stored maps on a real GPS.

If you're somewhere that HAS cell signal, you probably didn't need GPS in the first place.

However there are apps for your phone that work like normal gps; they download the actual full maps to your phone, then use only the GPS signals (no data) after that. But they're a little expensive, and I have no experience with them to recommend one.

>offline areas aren't a thing

>thinking you need gps/maps if you already knew where you'd be

Offline areas only work if you specifically pre-cache them first, and only work to the level of detail you saw on the screen when you cached it (in the case of Google maps at least, maybe other maps are better for this, correct me if I'm wrong).

It also has issues if you are in a cached area and want to drive to an uncached area or generally change your route.

My point is that Google maps from your phone is often insufficient, especially in places where you would actually need the GPS and not just a print off of your route.

You can download your couintries map you in milk soaked eunuch

>not having a backup to use for route detours or to explore areas you want to see without actually going there first
I regularly use offline areas on a nexus 7 tablet and have never had any issues with detail and never had to use my phone to check for an area that wasn't downloaded properly. Not sure what point you're trying to make, because I have never heard anyone complain about offline areas being insufficient, especially since updates are always free and can be displayed on any screen.

>battery hog
>not keeping your phone charged in cigarette lighter or 12v usb ports
Shiggy doo
>because reasons!
What reasons fag?

>download my city of about a million
>2.5gb

Google even says they can only download up to 120k square kilometers. Sounds like a lot but that's less than 350km of a straight road.. So a trip longer than a half a day isn't possible to cache (Google only caches in squares, not efficient lines).

But you're still ignoring the rest of my point.

It's fine in your home city when you just need to find your boyfriend's house, but when you're on a road trip or something, it doesn't work. You'll need data eventually.

Let me clarify: I use my phone for all maps. Especially with data networks getting better, it's just easier for me. But for someone without a phone, or without a data plan, "just get a phone lel" is not at all a better option. I keep a regular old TomTom GPS in my glove box for the reasons I've mentioned, too. Used to use it for Pizza Delivery. Has a nicer screen (matte, bright, non reflective) than my phone so it was always visible.

There are reasons. Stop thinking you're somehow on the high ground for using newer technology. It doesn't make it better technology.

Funny, I just went on a 983 mile road trip across 3 states and had no issues.
>high ground
You're the retarded faggot talking out of your ass saying that map details aren't saved and only small areas will be saved. I wasn't the one that suggested to just get a phone in the first place, I only said that offline maps works well for my needs, while you go out of your way to try and tell me that it doesn't. With that said, just fuck off because you're one of those jackasses that thinks they're never wrong and always have to have the last word regardless if you're wrong or not.

I'm tired of all the new /g/ tech kiddies today that say just get a phone.

just because you have gps on your phone doesn't mean it's always practical. I understand the dedicated device ideology. and even if it's not for you, some people want to, need it. because you specifically don't use a dedicated device doesn't mean others don't.

it comes down to all the Facebook fags that ask 'why do you still have a pc? can't you just YouTube and Facebook on your phone?'

just because all you do is Facebook and YouTube doesn't mean everyone with a computer does the same thing. it pisses me off that people can't think outside their bubble.

yes, I mad

Why the fuck do you need a GPS for highway driving? Is it really that hard to write down or remember the 3 turnoffs you need to take? You're making it sound like you can't function without GPS.

Do people not go cruising around the city getting to know the streets these days? Guess memorizing video game characters and watching little Asian girl cartoons is a priority.

Not sure if you're OP or not, don't really care. Where do you live BTW?

TomTom gets my vote, purely for the authoritative female voice.
She cuts through noise easily, and is clear.

>works well for my needs
That was my point the whole time. Your needs are not necessarily representative of the OPs.

Not Op. But I see where Op was coming from, and I found it annoying that people gave useless advice, so my first post attempted to actually help. Then I backed up my statements and got met with hostility.

On the Internet of all places!

>le "just use your phone" meme
jack of all trades master of none. I bet you use your phone to stream spotify too.

Fucking plebs! When will they learn...

> nobody makes them anymore

Confirmed for retard, yes standalone gps is still made.

And its still extremely useful in areas where little to no cell signal exists.

exactly what I'm talking about here

>works good for me!

such a selfish attitude

I agree with you guys. I look up the route on Google Maps at home, write down a few points (they even have a well designed printing feature if someone is too lazy to write), and get going. Never once had a problem. All those signs on the streets aren't just labels or decorations. They are free navigational aides.

>I don't want to use my phone. I want a standalone gps unit.

Do you want Recommendations on a good palm pilot and Plasma TV while we're at it?

Well I've got GPS on my phone and the entire maps for Europe were 2.5gb.

Never had any problem.

Your logic is shit.

No you don't. You use a dedicated GPS app that needs no data. Ndrive works perfectly fine. Tomtom should too.

You can complement with data if you want, but you don't need.

>Standalone GPS will fuck you in the ass for updates
How? It's not like you pay for them. Not with garmin anyway.

You won't pay for them for sometime. After that period, you'll surely will. And top coin.

Use your phone. A gps will add useless weight anyways, and it'll look stupid.

Don't come to Veeky Forums if you want advice from numales that think flashy tech in a car is cool.

>ITT: People who never drive in the mountains
That GPS on your smartphone is going to be real handy when you can't get 3G anymore.

Not our fault you are stupid and only know about a-gps.

There are phones out there with real GPS chips that don't need phone networks to work.

Plus, install ndrive/tomtom whatever, download the maps you need, and you've got gps anywhere.

This thread is a fucking wreck...
Get a Garmin Montana or monterra and never need another gps.
Also you never defined what type of gps or what "best" is