Is it worth turning a 78 Chevy C10 into a 4x4 truck or should I just get a K series...

Is it worth turning a 78 Chevy C10 into a 4x4 truck or should I just get a K series? I'd like to keep it because it's been in the family for a while and it's treated me well. I'd feel like a dick if I turned and sold it to some guy looking to make a drag truck or a bean machine.

What do you guys think?

It all comes down to price. You can do it, but you'd need to see how much it costs versus just buying a K-series.

Although to be honest, considering how the K-series holds its value it might come out even.

That's what I've been noticing. Most people are wanting 1500 for something that's rather far from me. I was thinking maybe a 4x4 swap would be a better route since I'm probably going to drive it till the wheels fall off.

If you're going to keep it forever anyway as it has sentimental value then fuck it, why not? Even if it costs more to swap in a 4x4 drivetrain than to buy another truck, I'd do it.

That too, OP. If it's a sentimental thing, go right ahead. You can't put a monetary value on that.

Kind of a broke college kid ,but I'm alright with saving. I'm sure if I keep saving and get together with some of my friends who are into cars we could swing it.

>I'd like to keep it because it's been in the family for a while
iktf

still got my 2002 dodge ram even though I never drive it, just because I'd feel like a dick to sell it.

>Be me
>Got 04 Cobra for 16th birthday/ first car
>Love it but desperately want something more exotic along the lines of a 911 or 430
>Can't sell because it has 8+ years of history behind it

I'm just going to buy a FFR Shelby Cobra Coupe to build with my dad instead. That'll be the third outdated vehicle I'm stuck with because of feels.

Just get a Geo Tracker and put this silly dilemma behind you. 1 day with a tracker and you'll wonder what you were wasting your life driving

>tfw sits in your garage on a battery tender and you occasionally drive it only so the tires don't go flat
I guess in another 20 years we will have appreciated keeping them.

Same year, same truck here. Granddad bought it from the dealer in town in 1978.

Keep it duder, I have a C10 now that im in the process of restoring, and I still regret selling my old truck years ago.
Not that I wouldn't drive both, but, the memories man...

Changed the rear differential fluid in mine yesterday. Also considering changing it to 4x4 like with OP's question. Would only cost about $200 in junkyard parts.

>transfer case
>front knuckles/hubs +rotors+calipers
>drive shafts

But with the rear locker it already has, I basically never get stuck anyway. Not sure if it's worth the hassle.

RB26dett+ATESSA AWD

200 in junkyard parts? Where do you live or are you really good friends with the junkyard owner? Because I could swing that next paycheck and still sit pretty.

I'm sorry I don't know what this refers to. Does dett refer to Detroit lockers and I know AWD stands for all wheel drive.

As I understand it though... AWD isn't the same as 4x4 is it?

Skyline GT-R engine swap, bro. Cost you $500 and an afternoon.

A Skyline GT-R engine in a truck? How would that work? I've never heard of this.

Opposite way an LS V8 swap into a foreign car works.

Oh. It sounds really enticing ,but speed isn't really my thing. I'm more of a reliability and "I'll get there ,but not fast." sort of person you know?

I've gotten so used to what a I6 250 and a 1 Barrel carb had to offer me in terms of fuel economy. (Took it for a spin today and went 20 miles and if my fuel gauge is working and accurate it only moved from almost full to 3/4 full.)

You fed the troll.

Oops... I'm really new to the whole car scene. I figured anything was possible if you threw enough money at it.

Oh, it is.

In this case it'll be a lot. Like, a lot.

Yeah that's what I figured. My friend loves Skylines so I know of them and I knew they were sedans.