Volkswagen GTI MKV

What does Veeky Forums think of the mk5's? Looking for a sporty car under 8000 and this seems to be it.

Any complains, suggestions, etc?

Other urls found in this thread:

carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/motoring-issues/2012/used-cars-how-to-buy-a-second-hand-vw-golf-gti-mk5-2004-2009/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>sporty car
>a fucking grocery bag
>VW
LMAO LITERALLY KEKOLD THE POST

Looks like shit kys

Woah

I own one. Parts are reasonable and plentiful and the aftermarket is huge for the mk5. Roomy interior, fun to drive and practical. It will seat four people comfortably and you can get a fifth in if needed.

Amerikeks who've had bad experiences with Mexican VWs will cite the car as unreliable, however these GTIs are made in Germany and they are as reliable as any other japbox.

They are great all rounders if that's what you are looking for, but they won't be the fastest on the track if stock.

For 8 g's that's probably the best all around car you can get. The only thing that scared me away was stories about tct failures. I guess just make sure to replace it with a better quality one and you should be fine. I ended up going with a civic si instead. Not as fast or nice, but imo better for reasons i have trouble articulating (let's say overall driving feel/experience). The GTI felt fast, but numb. The Si felt faster (even though it's slower) and gave me the feeling that I was doing something I shouldn't be (i.e., being a ricer).

at the end of the day, it's all up to you man. Just drive all the cars you can in your price range and pick the one you like the most. I think a GTI is a pretty good choice.

Alright. Sounds good. I'll keep looking up details. Can't seem to make up my mind about a few things like whether I want a 4 door or a 2 door. DSG or manual. Color.

I remember the MkV being a return to form for the GTI, and a massive improvement over the MkIV.

If you live somewhere cold look out for the ice in the door jam. It's notorious on the mkv.

2/4 door there is very little difference in price, DSG is great but needs trans fluid and filter changed every 40k miles so avoid if this hasn't been done. Manual is also great but expect clutches to last 80k miles. Colour is subjective. I like the metallic grey but I bought a metallic black.

Other than that, take a read of this carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/motoring-issues/2012/used-cars-how-to-buy-a-second-hand-vw-golf-gti-mk5-2004-2009/

lel,my 530 diesel easily outruns these and the mpgs are a lot better

This guy knows what he's talking about. The general distaste americans have for VW's come from their experience with the Jetta, which is an absolute piece of shit made by beaners that no one should ever own. A Golf/Rabbit/GTI is a totally different story since they were still produced in Germany up until 2012/13 I believe.
Buy it with confidence, the mk5 is a discreet but very well made car.
>pic related, here is my 220,000 km mk5 golf that runs perfectly. Only major problem I've had was a blown alternator at about 170,000km

>Le Mexican VW meme

So how does it being built in Germany make it immune to shitty engineering and design decisions.

The Golf/GTI has been considered the standard for what a european hatchback should be for the last 20 years, and the mk5 was a vast improvement over previous generations of the car. Tell me exactly how that makes it a bad vehicle..
If you prefer a different brand or type of vehicle than that is your choice, but to claim that the Golf suffers from engineering and design issues is to say the whole euro hatchback class suffers from those issues, since all brands look at the Golf as a benchmark for how to build their competing hatchbacks.
Also german manufacturing standards > beaner manufacturing standards, but you're probably just offended because you're an illegal wetback yourself

My Wolfsburg-built Mk3 Golf, Mk4 Golf, and T3 Transporter, all diesels, all hold up like its no big deal.
480 000 and 240 000 kilometers on the golfs, respectively

Thats too much money. I mean its an ok car. But not for the gti version.
You can get better brands with more relability and fastyness

I own one (Bought new), love it. Cross shopped a Civic SI, WRX, and MS3. GTI was and still is built better, everything just feels solid where the others felt like tin boxes.

Purchased after I graduated and landed a good paying job. Moved across country with whatever I could pack in the car. Never let me down or stranded, only one repair and it was under warranty.

The cam follower is a issue, especially if tuned. Carbon buildup is also an issue. Both are easy to avoid with maintenance.

Modified mine quite a bit after it was no longer needed as a daily driver. Now making near twice the stock power nothing has broken and its very derivable.

What was wrong with the IV?

Heavy, underpowered and electrical issues, iirc.

nothing.before the 530 i had a mk IV 1.9 tdi and that thing was a solid and reliable peace of econobox.cheap and widely available parts,easy maintenance and good mpgs.

*piece

I quite enjoy mine, they are fairly reliable all things considered, look plain but good, and handles like a dream, just check the fuel pump cam follower every 20k and beware the ice door.

1200kg with ~180 hp isn't that heavy or underpowered.