/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/iafqz627
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/
spriters-resource.com/
koonsolo.com/news/dewitters-gameloop/
wiki.libsdl.org/CategoryAudio
github.com/zielmicha/SDL2/blob/373232d63fffdca74fffefab97c5e455576fbb91/src/audio/SDL_mixer.c
jcatki.no-ip.org:8080/SDL_mixer/SDL_mixer_frame.html
youtube.com/watch?v=stWae6r7Blw
youtube.com/watch?v=9mvPHapF_dM
youtube.com/watch?v=fUs2_7SYAI8
youtube.com/watch?v=lPyhlybViJw
youtube.com/watch?v=q5lttpeuc70
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for nodev
Keep your hands warm and rest your wrists so you don't get RSI

1st for lewd

>making an early thread just to push your OP agenda
Here's the things you forgot:

AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

in times of distress all you have is dev

Just how does your looping code look?
I take it your pew sound is just a single pew. Maybe you're trying to do timing on the sound rather relying on something more accurate like letting all the samples play out and then setting your play-cursor to the start of the sound (or whatever)

fuck you dogposter

If you don't have all those sites bookmarked already you're a retard.

please don't abuse me im fragile

since we're meta-mode right now, how many of you visit THE OTHER /agdg/? You try to reach a broader audience, right yesdevs?

spriters-resource.com/
Forgot this.

Reposting from old thread:

Yo niggas, any of you familiar with SDL-mixer?

Basically, I'm making a small shmup in SDL2. The engine is almost complete. In the last days I've implemented sound and music with SDL_mixer. Everything works as intended.

BUT!

There is one problem. Every time I fire a bullet, the game plays the relative sound effect. Now, this is not the problem, of course. The problem is that if I keep firing bullets, every 2-3 seconds I can hear a small skip in the playback. Essentially, I hear something like this:

pew---pew---pew---pew---pewpew---pew---pew---pew
A
||
(skip!)

I tried messing with every part of my engine to try and fix this irregularity. I even built and ran the game on differents OS (w7, gentoo and void linux). So far, the only thing which improved the situation was changing the SDL-mixer buffer size from 2048 to 1024. This reduced the skip, but it's still there.

I'm going mad if I don't solve this problem. Can anybody help?

>any /agdg/
>broader audience

Neat.
It's a resource for new devs so they don't need to ask every thread.

>inb4 BUT THEY WILL ASK ANYWAYS
Not all of them, many will read the OP before asking.

Which one?
Isn't the 8ch dead?
Or are you talking about 420's?

Albuquerque Game Developmer's Guild?

>Falling for the gamedev meme

I go to 8's sometimes, but is really dead and none of the projects posted there has interested me.
How's 420's?

>falling for the falling for the meme meme.

there's like 100 people here, and on 8ch it's much worse.

if you want a broader audience try /v/ or even better reddit, tumblr and twitter.

Thanks for replying. My looping code looks like the one on this page, where it says
>constant game speed with maximum fps

Keep in mind that I tried changing my looping code to the one used by the vast maiority of games out there (the "fps dependent on constant game speed" option in the link above). It didn't change anything.

I'm using any Timer function whatsoever. Basically, when I press the space bar, a bullet entity is created and a message is sent to the sound system, telling it to play the relative effect with Mix_PlayChannel.

Sorry, forgot link: koonsolo.com/news/dewitters-gameloop/

Idea guy here.
Make a game that is fun.

I try my best

smash-like

Do you keep your tilesets and objects as separate things, or do you treat them as the same?

In UE4, how do I make it so that a post-process material affects a single mesh and not fucking everything?

I already know that I need to check Custom Depth for the mesh, but what do I need to do in the material to make it do that?

Reminder to join the Lewd Jab Collab project!
Let's work together to make lewd games.

reminder that you are all shit and you will never amount to anything, also your games are shit

That's a nice picture

I'm using Game Maker, and I store my tileset info entirely in a ds_grid. Then, based off that information, I draw portions of the background to the surface dynamically (so the entire map isn't drawn at the same time, and only draws what the camera needs to show) and do collisions based off my grid coordinates in relation to my tileWidth/tileHeight.

Top-left most tile is (0,0), by the way

>implying

Does anyone use BYOND to dev?

I've been thinking about making a game for some friends

How do I join the lewd collab and what skills do I need?

>BYOND

AGDG is for comfy gamedev talk. For a broader audience, there is twitter, tumblr, and even /v/ gamedev shill threads.

I forgot to mention too: My levels are created in PyxelEdit (although Tiled is also a good alternative) which exports a raw text document containing an entire array of tiled level data separated by commas and linebreaks. Once I get my text parser to read that information, then it gets stored in the ds_grid.

>235 dollars in singles

absolutely disguesting

I thought your character was a smiling meringue with a floating had until I noticed the other guy.

New day, new progress.
I replaced some of the shitty wall textures with 3D objects and tweaked a few other things. Still not great, but it's coming along.

It's for the strip club, user.

>Mix_PlayChannel
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong docs. All I can find is wiki.libsdl.org/CategoryAudio mix_audio.
Looking at SDL source on github I can't find playchannel..

But mixaudio seems like a very basic function that does the same thing pretty much. Maybe try that?
github.com/zielmicha/SDL2/blob/373232d63fffdca74fffefab97c5e455576fbb91/src/audio/SDL_mixer.c

So? Only losers go to stripclubs.

reminder that i reminded you of this

Here: jcatki.no-ip.org:8080/SDL_mixer/SDL_mixer_frame.html

if you say so

i added monsters

Collabing on lewd games sounds hard

Open either the doc or the speadsheet in the OP.
fill the form with your personal data.
find someone you want to work with and hope they want to work with you too.

I can be your playtester, and test the refappability.

What's this?
Like a Paper Mario thing?

Reminder: your kidneys will fail before you reach 40 with that amount of salt in your body.

We don't need nodevs

wheres your game failure

>it's a no progress day episode

Have you set any callbacks? This is concerning:
>The list of registered effects for a channel is reset when a chunk finishes playing, so you need to explicitly set them with each call to Mix_PlayChannel().

But again. I'm just helping without knowing SDL.

>he doesn't need playtesters
found the nodev

Nah, I'm not using any callback. Everytime a bullet is created, Mix_PlayChannel is called. Simple as that.

wiyg

45 people in the lewd jam
dont miss out this will be huge

spay

something looks different?

>20 days
20 days
>20 days
20 days
>20 days
20 days
>20 days
20 days
>20 days
20 days
>20 days
20 days

B-BAKA

Pretty much, it's a game based on paper mario but with a few different battle mechanics. But overral it uses similar systems.

>mfw got my bullet to go the opposite way but now it doesn't go the way it used to go

sexy shake

Annoying error.. I'd just set a debugger breakpoint and jump into where you can inspect the audio playback. Use some debug sounds like a sine wave or something to be able to identify problems.

i can only do music, but i would otherwise love to join

doing music for lewd jam doesn't sound very exciting without seeing actual context

>hardcoding your bullets
Why

Join the collab and help other anons!

> that entire exchange

i hope the writing's this good all across the game

w-what do you mean

So? fix it. Should be easy now.

is there any way we can actually see information on the projects because otherwise i'd probably just try to make my own (which i don't think i will)

not the right difference
which is the room size

>interviewer asks for code to review
>give them access to my game's repository
How fucked am I?

Cursor is no longer affected by the filter?

We'll need more context, user. What kind of stuff is on that repo?

Why
You could just have sent a small part of the code instead.

I'll try gdb-ing the shit out of that then. If nothing works, I think I will drop SDL_mixer and look at openal.

The combination of image resolutions here bothers me, but at least the screen shake is nice. Not too intense, not too weak.

Post dev music.

youtube.com/watch?v=stWae6r7Blw

youtube.com/watch?v=9mvPHapF_dM

Just put your name and info down, if other anons need you I'm sure they'll let you join their discord channel/steam/skype chat ect and keep you updated on the whole project.

youtube.com/watch?v=fUs2_7SYAI8

it never was desu

youtube.com/watch?v=lPyhlybViJw

What a shit anime. And I say this as a yuri fan.

Fuck it, I'll bite. It's not like I'm doing any actual game dev anyway

Just a dorky RPG that I started recently. Thank fuck my OneNote file with all of my story notes isn't on there.

I was under pressure and I've never had to share code so I didn't know how to do it with only one file, so I panicked and just added them to the project.

I'm missing the context here. I'm guessing he's dropping his pants? Because that's about how I feel right now.

Recommend good yuri anime

youtube.com/watch?v=q5lttpeuc70

yuri yuri
kiniro mosaic

Strawberry Panic.

Watched.