Another day another Tesla has a mind of its own and crashes into shit. How is this fucking company still in business?

Another day another Tesla has a mind of its own and crashes into shit. How is this fucking company still in business?

Other urls found in this thread:

electrek.co/2016/06/06/tesla-model-x-crash-not-at-fault/
roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a29133/tesla-self-driving-crash-summon-autonomous/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

let's be real it was probably the driver's fault

Link to article?

>[Elon Musk] is the founder, CEO and CTO of SpaceX; co-founder, CEO and product architect of Tesla Motors; co-founder and Chairman of SolarCity, co-chairman of OpenAI; co-founder of Zip2; and co-founder of PayPal.[17][18][19] As of April 2016, he has an estimated net worth of US$12.3 billion, making him the 68th wealthiest person in the US.

Like those "unintended accelerations" with the Prius that turned out to actually be people aiming for a fat settlement.

Just look at that interior. Like a loony bin room. Tesla really knows the customer demographic.

electrek.co/2016/06/06/tesla-model-x-crash-not-at-fault/
>“We analyzed the vehicle logs which confirm that this Model X was operating correctly under manual control and was never in Autopilot or cruise control at the time of the incident or in the minutes before. Data shows that the vehicle was traveling at 6 mph when the accelerator pedal was abruptly increased to 100%. Consistent with the driver’s actions, the vehicle applied torque and accelerated as instructed. Safety is the top priority at Tesla and we engineer and build our cars with this foremost in mind. We are pleased that the driver is ok and ask our customers to exercise safe behavior when using our vehicles.”

Bonus: "HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY WIFE!"

>The owner of the Model X sent us the following statement – confirming that his wife was driving the vehicle at the time, but he is sticking with her version of the event. In other words, that the Model X accelerated on its own:

>“My wife is a 45-year-old woman with a great driving record. Not and incapacitated driver. She has been going to that center for over 20 years and parking in the same stalls hundreds of times.
>She knows the difference between brake and accelerator pedal. I am waiting to hear from Tesla whether the accelerator pedal can be depressed by the car electronically similar to gas-powered cars’ pedal being depressed on their own while in cruise control.”

I'm more chock by the fact that she apparently crashed into a cardboard house.

Gas pedals move down to be out of your way when in cruise. A more educated question to ask Tesla would be if the car can report throttle input due to gas pedal sensor malfunction since all modern throttles are fly by wire, the pedal is a mere sensor these days.

Modern building materials are complete garbage. In 20 years siding will be made of recycled plastic and compressed sawdust.

>drove over 39ft of planters
>full car length doesn't even cover the plants
>grass=planters

the hell are these people smoking?

Nah you see that's the crumple zone to protect the occupants in case of a crash.

>tfw throttle cable

Kek

When will pedestrian safety standards start becoming mandatory for buildings? Think of the children.

>In 20 years siding will be made of recycled plastic and compressed sawdust.

It already is brother.

What the hell is that building even made out of America? Fuck me do you all live in cardboard homes?

Yes and I have 4 nail salons inside my house, not just 1.

LOL for american houses made from plywood & cardboard. When your car is stronger than your house.

Can't imagine all the rodents and insects living in those walls.

Pretty sure that I am yet to see a house, old or new, that could withstand an impact from any SUV at WOT, and not take significant damage.

>Our 5 day old Tesla X today while entering a parking stall suddenly and unexpectedly accelerated
>Our 5 day old

Welp, that explains everything. I bet she was too used to her old car, possibly the pedals were panned slightly off compared to the old car, muscle memory kicked in and presto, "i was hitting the breaks, not the accelerator hurr durr".
Routine kills.

I can't believe i'm defending a company that stands for everything i hate.

>Data shows that the vehicle was traveling at 6 mph when the accelerator pedal was abruptly increased to 100%. Consistent with the driver’s actions, the vehicle applied torque and accelerated as instructed.

Really bad idea giving something this fast and potentially lethal into hands of average soccer mom.

>that blind defense just because wife

kuked

new throttle pedals have two or even three simultaneous throttle position sensors that triple check against eachother to ensure that the throttle position is correct.

Even if one is a little bit off, it will throw a check engine light and the vehicle will be undrivable due to having no throttle. The chances of having three throttle position sensors off at the exact same time is basically impossible without human intervention.

>How is this fucking company still in business?
marketing and memes. And meme marketing.

>Normal front doors
>Gull wing rear doors

my carb has one tbs, me. it never goes wrong. idefinatly adjustable and never needs replacing. kek it was also free.

And if you guys are wondering if these throttle pedals are reliable or not, every single semi truck from 1995ish onwards has been drive by wire with a similar throttle pedal to what is in the tesla. Dont hear a whole lot of stories about those trucks getting stuck at full throttle either, and there are literally millions of those.

You underestimate Tesla build quality.

Wow, Tesla's fanbase might be cancer but the company sure does make safe cars.

Because they have ways to track the error back to the driver.

>similar to gas-powered cars’ pedal being depressed on their own while in cruise control

What kind of fucking witchcraft is this? Our Volvo and Merc don't do this, the accelerator allows us to temporarily accelerate when in cruise control... They don't move away?!

Is this an American thing??

What happens if you're going 0,1 mph faster than someone? Do you have to increase the speed of the vehicle by using the cruise control buttons?

I was in an early 90s explorer that did this when cruise control was on and you went up a hill.

That is called depressing the throttle for torque, you fucking idiot. In throttle-cable systems, the cruise control actually actuates the throttle, making the pedal go down when accelerating.

Oooh so this is a pre-drive-by-wire thing?
I see. I'm too young and spoiled to have had/experienced cars without an actual throttle cable...

I mean, my 2002 accord did this.

>too young to experience throttle cables
>spoiled

Ignorance is bliss eh?

>How is this fucking company still in business?
Shills.

Was it DBW or cable?
I've didn't get into cars enough to look at throttle linkage (or lack thereof) until '07-ish and by then all the cars in our family were DBW...
Well i mean it's an interesting phenomenon, I'd probably get distracted and fascinated by my robotic throttle and crash and die... So it's probably for the better.

>I'm too young and spoiled to have had/experienced cars without an actual throttle cable
doubt it. probably just didnt know.

ITT: luddites and soccer mom husbands

Only in America. Here in britain, we still build out of bricks, reinforced concrete, and steel girders.
We had years of IRA carbombs (funded by Americans) and a trend for ram-raiding for a while, which was swiftly defeated by anti-carbomb defences that stop cars getting anywhere near buildings.

> TFW no throttle cable to jam

Well yeah, but I meant that I've actually looked into and driven. Allow me to rephrase:

I've never engaged cruise control in, or looked at the throttle pedal of a car, that didn't have DBW when it was in cruise control.

All the cars I've driven/cruise controlled in have been DBW. So it's a new phenomenon to me.

Teslas have a black box and send data back to the company.

there has yet to be a case where the car just up and crashed into something on its own. it has always been because the driver pushed on the accelerator pedal or used the phone app to move the car.

Falcon wing doors, they hinge in the middle, unlike gull wing.

It is a bit of hubris on Musk's part.

The doors are supposed to do two things?

1. allow you to enter the vehicle in tight spaces.
>pointless because you can just summon the vehicle. moving it out of the tight space.
2. allow people to enter the third row easier.
>would be unneeded if the gimmicky monopost middle seats reclined. then you could just move the seat back forward to clear space.

>there has yet to be a case where the car just up and crashed into something on its own
Says who? Tesla themselves? And you blindly believe them because they're making cars powered by electricity from coal and nuclear plants to save the environment? With batteries containing highly hazardous lithum that can't be recycled and cost children's lives in lithium mines?

Government subsidies

Same reason GM and FCA are still in business

>t. gender studies major and Tesla™ fan

The fact that there haven't been any fuckhuge settlements after a Tesla allegedly "drove itself into a wall" speaks for itself. Every (potential) court case ever speaks against you.
This was a very good response.

It is like the Audi case back in the 80s.

If there was a design fault that would cause Tesla to move on their own. It would be happening enough for it to become known to the general public.

It's a shame that there are 67 wealthier people than Elon Musk, yet he is one of the few concerned with using that money to better the planet and send humanity beyond Earth.

>a battery with wheels
>high tech

people that buy $80,000 - $100,000 cars don't care about the few thousand in tax credits.

only Norway with its exemption from the new car import tax, really supports Tesla.

>implying nuclear power is bad
Off yourself

>pushrods

now this is bait

Tesla recieves over 4.9 billion from the US Federal government

in what?

they paid their loans from the government back already.

>Every (potential) court case ever speaks against you.
Care to provide a source for some of these (potential) court cases that speak against me? I'm really interested in who's the third party that confirmed that the car was working as intended and that the driver was at fault.

Are you sure it's not just lawyers shrugging it off in court with "How dare you blame Tesla, we're just trying to save the planet!"?

Tesla confirmed that it was user error. The dumb bitch pressed the accelerator thinking it was the brakes.

The source is the fact that there are none.
Nobody has considered some idiot saying "the car took control and drove into a wall" evidence enough to have a case.

Why would lawyers shrug it off? If the ones representing the people wanting to sue Tesla thought they had a case then of course they would do it, that's (partly) how they make money.

Dollars, 4.9 billion dollars in subsidies.

Not a loan. Taxpayer funded subsidies.

>The source is the fact that there are none.
You're a retard.

kek how does that happend ? are they on the same level ? isn't the brake on automatic car a bigass one ?

Cause people are retarded

Old woman in new car = wreck no matter how obvious you make the controls

>instant ad-hominem
Compelling argument friend
>into the trash it goes

but how did they got their driving licence in the first place ?

She got it a long long time ago user, it's easier to get a licence than a credit card

oh really ? i heard it was cheap but that easy ? that negate their existence

that figure is for all three of his companies combined, and from federal, state, and local governments combined.

some of it is just states and local trying lure Musk and his job creation to their area. So the politicians can claim they made jobs.

some are carbon creditse. which are specifically for Tesla, and only a fool would not take advantage.

NASA needed new launch capability. It was either pay SpaceX or go with existing military companies. SpaceX is paying off for NASA because their launches are like 1/3 or less teh price of United Launch Alliance.

meanwhile the oil industry in america gets 10 trillion in value from various subsidies.

GM was bailed out. feds sold their shares at a loss, for some unexplained reason.

Just because Company B does X too doesn't make it okay for Company A to do X as well

When the government is handing out money and other breaks. You would be stupid not to use them.

Now of course there are times when you have the companies lobbying for these things. Though Musk isn't one of them. The most he does is fight against Dealership laws to prevent him from opening stores.

> I bet she was too used to her old car,

I can see a lot of people crashing these because they've gone from something with ~150hp to a tesla. I honestly cannot fathom why theyve made these cars so powerful when you know the target consumer is not going to be used to the power.

Because POWAH! sells.

It is easy for them to make insane 0-60 machine that still provides decent range. The could have used a 200 hp 300 torks motor and geared it for longer range. Then it would accelerate merely ok and it wouldn't excite as many potential customers.

What said

>more horses more better!

Which is funny, because making something affordable and worthwile for the common man is always a more lucrative route than making something expensive for the rich man. Later on you can have luxury modrls for the rich man to get his attention too.

There are more common men than rich men which means a bigger market base. Honestly if I were making electric cars I'd be building something with no frills, no bells and whistles, just a simple car.

>side curtain bags deployed.
haha, get a new car.

every EV start up that is tired with a mass market model first, has failed.

Tesla, by starting with upscale models first. Where they can charge a price with a health profit margin(20-25% on every S and X sold). Allows them to have the rich people subsidize the mass market. While also making exciting cars that generate millions in media attention value.

cardboard house saved her life.

>abrupt increase to 100%

That sounds like a potentiometer short to me.

you are more likely to have an accident at places where you go most because of the obvious reason plus the fact that you do end up doin it without thinking

You're both retarded. Modern materials and engineering is 100 times better than they were even 50 years ago.
Old houses didn't even have foundations and they were leaky and drafty as fuck. Now we have thick steel reinforced slabs with footers, composite engineered beams, double pane low-e glass. the only difference is the wood isn't 300 year old hard wood. Houses are incredibly more efficient, stronger, while being cheaper.

It's the workmanship that's gone. Especially with these dime a dozen tract homes they throw up in 2 months.

That's not cardboard it's a PE vapor barrier, which any brick or stone house would also have.

You also live in houses that would be considered government housing here in the US.
Most houses in the US are brick or stucco.

>funded by Americans

spotted the tankie

>Old houses didn't even have foundations and they were leaky and drafty as fuck.
in america maybe

Not him but I've travelled all over Europe, old houses are leaky and drafty there too

Why do we have so many threads about toy cars lately.

>abruptly increased to 100%.
I would be interested to see this data graph and what data points they collect.

Let's say they do collect data on pedal position. This data could be cross-referenced with the recorded power output of the vehicle. If there's even a slight disparity between pedal position and power output then one can argue that the car was not correctly responding to driver input.

Another data point to look at would be the power output graph. Given that a human cannot depress an accelerator pedal from rest position to full in an instant (which is what Tesla are arguing they did), such data could indicate whether the pedal was indeed human input error or a car sensor error.

roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a29133/tesla-self-driving-crash-summon-autonomous/

What if the car crashed while the driver is in a restaurant, the car is parked in a space and no one is driving? Would it still be the drivers fault like Tesla claims?

the manufacturer takes responsibility for what happens when no one is driving

>Given that a human cannot depress an accelerator pedal from rest position to full in an instant

Have you ever seen a drag race?

>Hi guys Tesla here, we collected this vehicle data nobody ever gets to see and it says nothing was our fault, the end
Not buying it.

Pigfat

Let's say for a moment she confused the go pedal for the brake. Who stomps the brakes when at a crawl in a parking lot?

>instant
There is still measurable time from when the accelerator is at rest and when it is fully open, even if it's not humanly perceptible.

That's what I was trying to get at. If there is no measurable time, or that measurable time is so swift it's physically impossible or improbable that 45-year-old woman on Earth could have pressed the pedal, it's vquite arguable that it's the car's fault.

>Tesla detected a bug in their Autopilot/Summon feature that sometimes causes the car to intentionally crash into things
>Tesla sent out both an EMAIL AND Car message telling user to temporarily disable autopilot
>idiot didn't do this
>decide to use summon feature while in restaurant
Drivers fault plain and simple.

t. teslafag

t. retard who ignored the facts

The bug info was sent out after the crash though.

>Most houses in the US are brick or stucco.
No, most houses in the UK are brick. Most American houses are wood. I've been to the US, I've seen houses, and they are made of fucking wood.

t. uncompensated faggot who on behalf of tesla gives a delusive summary of an article

>Official statement by Tesla;"The vehicle logs confirm that the automatic Summon feature was initiated by a double-press of the gear selector stalk button, shifting from Drive to Park and requesting Summon activation. The driver was alerted of the Summon activation with an audible chime and a pop-up message on the center touchscreen display. At this time, the driver had the opportunity to cancel the action by pressing CANCEL on the center touchscreen display; however, the CANCEL button was not clicked by the driver. In the next second, the brake pedal was released and two seconds later, the driver exited the vehicle. Three seconds after that, the driver's door was closed, and another three seconds later, Summon activated pursuant to the driver's double-press activation request. Approximately five minutes, sixteen seconds after Summon activated, the vehicle's driver's-side front door was opened again."
How in any way does that shit make any fucking sense

>highly hazardous lithum

Better than 100% hazardous lead? Or sulphuric acid?
BETTER THROW AWAY THAT CAR BATTERY, LEAD AND ACID ARE POISONOUS.
And that phone, because lithium.

I bet you still drink dihydrogen monoxide.