/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/iafqz627
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wow OP frank.png-ly that looks awful

nailed it

first for dithering.

first for reddit!

Here's the things you forgot:

AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

it's like we don't even need a long OP, since all the links will be pasted anyway

>talent is real
lmao

Done with a basic enemy and some snippets that I can use for idle animations.

Reminder

Cute!

That's amazing. Game?

Nice "No Man's Sky logo" enemy.

so i've wasted about a week of progress by procrastinating, and have done fuck all with this project. if i cant get biped box guy to control exactly how i want by demo day, i'm going to add this omniball style movement as a chassis option sooner than i wanted. i'll probably make tank treads or spider legs as well some time down the line.

is this a cop out? i don't want to force people to use something that isn't perfect.

Reminder to join the Lewd Jam Collab project!
Let's work together to make lewd games!

isn't the whole appeal of your game the meme physics

Devs are nothing more than a game to me. spend months at a time strategically planting ideas into people's games, and shitposting. i get bored of someone after a while and move on to my next victim but that's okay because there's literally billions of you dirty little yesdevs to play around with.
Some devs actually believe I care about their games but the truth is I only use them for my personal advantage and entertainment

How do you control the weapon?

Thanks.

Vision is making a platformer, more progress to come when I finish the placeholder animations for the playermodel.

People keep pointing this out and it makes me feel bad.

edgy!

but where's your game?

mouse and keyboard.

finally decided on project i will be working on and will be within my means of production, Play as austrailian in pic and insult people and fight them because they're pooftas

Don't feel bad, I'm just memeing you cause NMS is the hot shit to make fun of right now.
In a couple months no one will compare that cute lil guy to the logo anymore.

i wanted the appeal to be the controls. i didn't go into with expecting a streamer memer audience. i just wanted to make a fun physics fighting game with intuitive controls that doesn't play like a flight simulator or a 2 button beat em up.

I sure hope so.

Do you drink VB to power up?

yeah,

>italian pasta

hi newfag

I didn't realize it was a fighting game at all. What are the current controls for the box guy?

you should abandon that idea and go with the funny walking guy

anybody else try this little gem? It's been a while since I've had my fire lit for dev but this was super cool

the physics are better suited to a 1 vs many brawler game

I'm attempting to evolve from codemonkey to artfag

Thoughts?

WASD/mouse controls.

its the framework for a fighting game. it doesn't even have a proper reactive fighting AI yet.

Looks like Ramiel is going through a Hot Topic phase.

It's actually pretty neat, 2bh, user.

is this bait? i'm actually curious

if you're tyring to make a hyper balanced fighting game, procedural walking physics is not a very efficient route

the appeal really is the funny inaccuracies of the walking. you can get the youtube memer crowd with a fighting game still

>he doesnt shill his own gaemu

>a versus fighting game where you play peg legged jester midgets balancing on balls while fencing
I'm interested.

With an Entity-Component-System, what should control when/how components are added to Entities dynamically.

Specifically I'm trying to reason about an attack system.

So an entity with an AttackComponent collides with something with a HealthComponent, so in the AttackSystem, I send a message/signal/event(Something?) that triggers a DamageComponent to be added to the second Entity.

Then the DamageSystem subtracts the amount of damage from the HealthComponent.

How should this sort of communication work?
And who should control it?
Is a global more or less necessary here?

Don't quit your day job just yet.

>hyper balanced fighting game

that's the route im taking. i really like the way the sword fighting feels so i think i can pull it off. i don't want this to "control well for a physics game". i just want it to control well. its going to be a huge challenge but i can't stop now.

i was going to go with robots for the art style but i guess midgets wearing jester outfits is more or less the exact same thing.

skip ecs its a meme
use an engine

No? I just thought it was an interesting idea similar to Papers, Please. Also not the dev. They don't need to shill on Veeky Forums.

>Null Reference Exception
>Unity debugger doesn't want to tell me which reference is null

Not relevant. This would be a problem even without ECS. I just added that for context.

> I don't know what ecs even is

you can use ECS frameworks with most engines.

Doesn't it tells you the code line?

>How should this sort of communication work?
With some kind of CollisionHappened component. It gets installed when the collision is detected, and removed by whatever systems handles situations where "X collides with Y" means "X damages Y."

>shill on suicide watch

Yes but that doesn't help if you're referencing several instances in one statement

>hyper balanced fighting game

Good luck on that endeavor, though. Balancing any fighting game without making it a completely homogenized milkshake is going to take some time thinking things through.

i don't think you're shilling, the game is just boring and unoriginal in my opinion. no one will remember it in 6 months.

rigging makes me want to kill myself
even modelling for 8 hours straight was better than this

i spent a lot of time throughly fleshing out the mechanics but i'm shit at implementing them. its getting kind of frustrating.

To be clear: You've already grasped that it's okay to have a short-lived component that just records some intermediate state of a computation (with damage calculations). Now you just have to apply that to the notion of control flow as well.

Yep! The idea is to add a CollisionComponent upon collision that holds all the Entities it collided with that frame, allowing it to act on all of them in the appropriate systems.

The thing I'm getting caught up on is how is this component added to the entity? Some sort of entityManager that deals with adding components to entities and entities to systems? I mean, I guess that'd work, but it seems somehow... wrong.

If by more or less same thing, you mean infinitely better than robots, you're spot on and have great taste.

its #1 selling game on the app store at the moment, I'm not sure they need to pander to the 15 people who might but it in here

I don't totally disagree, it certainly was pretty shallow. I just personally haven't played something like it. Taking the kingdom management and putting it with tinder-swiping was pretty novel to me.

When you say "ECS" I'm gonna assume you mean the data-oriented kind, where an Entity is just an ID number and the components are all owned by a common World object. If you organize it some other way, then most of the benefits of thinking about computation that way will just vanish, and you're left holding the cat poop.

its fine i guess.

Ok, how does this inventory system look?

modelling is zen as fuck, like working a zen garden

reposting because I posted in a dead thread
throwing in action now....
how many sections should I include in one level
they are about 5000x1250 on avarage

this game is too cute i can't take it

are you the dev that made the worldtree bat game for ludum dare 34?

I know that feel bruh

Anyone else use GODOT?

no
roughly half of us are using ue4, half are using unity and the other half are using self-made engines

that's one half too many

Any reason why my movement would look choppy, despite the game running at 60 FPS?

Yeah, I am.

If you used UE4 you wouldn't have this problem.

C++ gives you so much more control.

Too few animation frames?

>no one is using game maker

fuck, guess i got on the wrong horse

>Load up terraria for the first time in years to fuck around

>Movement is complete shit

Was it always like this? Why does the character move like he has 80lbs of bricks in his pockets?

Nah, my game doesn't have any animations right now. It looks like the objects move too far per frame. I tried interpolation, it made certain objects look smoother but certain objects look even choppier now.

Don't post Molyneux anymore.
This is my general now.

aww shit

>it's another dump art infographics episode

download ______UE4 right now, user!
there's still time to change the road you're on

He's memeing.
A good half of 2D games (if not more) are using GM

Thanks for that

Have some really shitty fanart.

dumb toddposter

Working on the mini-boss gameplay.
Making her attacks right now.

holocaust tycoon

>propoganda tycoon
>soros simulator
>Auschwitz furnace operator
>human fat self powering furnace engineer

are you making this one man army or with someone else?

I have someone doing the music but programming and art is all me.

>demon sausages from hell

Where the fuck is the tell, m80?

also looks pretty nice

You tried, and that's what's important.

53 people have joined the lewd jam

Why haven't you?

Break it up into multiple lines to debug it.

>Where the fuck is the tell, m80?
Why don't you tell me?
But really I'm just making the various attacks functional right now, balancing and tells will come later.
And thanks, I hope it'll be fun.