1970 fiat 500

I want to buy a 1970 fiat 500 in yelliw for my first car. How awful of a idea is this what can i expect to pay?

Other urls found in this thread:

popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/a5940/how-to-work-with-sheet-metal/
google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=round chrome rear view mirrors&safe=off&tbm=shop
ebay.com/itm/Fiat-500-F-/112017729307?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a14c6e71b:g:i8MAAOSw9k5XQNnD&item=112017729307
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>anything classic for a first car

It's almost like you don't like money or actually driving.

Also what can i do to soup it up? i think i read some where it could only go 55 miles per hour

Oh and one other thing, how.much trouble would it be to blget it in a different color and then give it a paint jog?

Depends on the classic tho. Some are pretty much bulletproof.
>beetle
>chebby 70s trucks

>wanting to deal with rust, hard to find parts, and unreliability for your first car
Terrible idea. It's fine if it's not your only car but that is not first car material.

I'm distraught over howugly most cats are to me, but I love the look of the fiat 500 1970!

Nothing carburated is bulletproof.

>Italian car
>old

You're goona be paying out the ass to get something like in the picture, then replacing everything every time you hit a bump in the road. Horrible idea.

>Also what can i do to soup it up?
Pretty easy. Buy an SU Culbutettour like the ones used in old Minis, and install small turbo.
Pretty simple setup.

>how.much trouble would it be to blget it in a different color and then give it a paint jog?
Pretty easy. Just buy a couple of cans of spray paint and some painters tape, then cover everything you don't want painted with tape and spray on the new colour. It shouldn't take you more than an afternoon.

Thanks! im very new to all this, where can i find out the cars specs?

Its the other way around, senpai.
Had my single-carb beetle for 10 years, only regular cleaning every 3 months. Never let me down.

Are they fragile? I wad told fiats are horribly made im not sure what to beleive?

Every car now days looks like shit in my eyes, can you think of somthing with a simular style to the fiat 500 1970 that whould be better?

There is a 1957 Edition of the new 500 that some with trim, wheels, and body colors similar to the original 500.

This is general automotive prejudice against Italian cars. There was a time in the '70s when Fiat was building cars out of really shitty Russian steel with poor corrosion protection. Understandably, not many of those cars exist anymore. Of course, it's been 40 years since then, production standards improve, material quality improves, but ignorant people continue to spout the nonsense that Fiat is any less reliable than any other high-volume manufacturer.

The old 500 is durable and reliable, but it's not strong. It's a car from the late '50s and has about as much structural integrity as a soda can. It's also incredibly slow and incapable of modern highway speeds.

I can't think of anything in similar style that isn't the Nuova 500.

Please understand the original 500 is now a 60-year-old car and made less than 40 HP when brand new. Driving one on the regular would be a frustratingly slow, frightening experience. Literally every other car on the road could flatten you.

If you absolutely must have a tiny Italian shitbox, get a 500 Abarth.
It's 60 years safer, handles more predictably, looks hot as fuck and is four times more powerful than the original car.

So glad someone here gives such informitive and helful answers.

Is it the car in the back or front of pic thats rhe new one for sale?

Can i spead it up by at all?

Oh on a newer model with a simular look could u swap out the rearr veiw mirrors to cute round ones like on the 1970?

The main difference i see by newer models with a simular look is that the dont have nice rounded corners to the windows and thats one of my favorite aspects of it.

Also excuse the typos please, writing on my tiny phobe isnt easy..

The one in the front is the new one.
The old car can be hopped-up but you'll have to do a lot of work to make it fast AND daily-drivable. You might have to swap the whole engine for something bigger, and that might cost as much as the car itself.
Here's a racing version of the original 500, the Abarth 1000 TC. Good luck getting one of these.

The new 500 has a smaller but very strong aftermarket. The 500 Abarth's turbocharged engine can be boosted to over 200 HP with just a engine computer tune. This same engine is found in the Dodge Dart and Fiat 125 Spider.

The 1957 edition (and non-Abarth versions) has a non-turbocharged version of the same engine that makes around 101 HP, more than twice the original 500's power.

I don't see why you couldn't swap the mirrors, you'd just need to fill in the screwholes in the door.

Don't know why you'd wanna swap power-adjusting mirrors for shitty, tiny '50s-era ones though. You know there's legal and safety reasons why rear view mirrors aren't that small anymore, right?

I dont like plastic or the shape of the newer ones but if theres a larger version of the round chrome id use those.

Hmm now the racing ver of the orginal abarth looks pretty awesome...

To bad about the cost of upgring it, but sfpeaking of cost what can o exept to pay fir a fiat 500 1970 anyway?

Oh, OH! Also should i only buy in person or is online a safe option?

Welp,

popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/a5940/how-to-work-with-sheet-metal/

google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=round chrome rear view mirrors&safe=off&tbm=shop

How much are you looking to spend? You might be able to get the dealership to install them.

Unless you are literally Jay Leno, do not buy a car sight-unseen, especially not a 60-year-old imported Italian econobox. Online is fine, so long as you see the car in person before you drop cash.

Got $20,000?
ebay.com/itm/Fiat-500-F-/112017729307?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a14c6e71b:g:i8MAAOSw9k5XQNnD&item=112017729307

B back later i have to go thanks so much for your help!