Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Hax2wvP-Izo
omaha.craigslist.org/cto/5577799777.html
cnn.com/2016/06/06/us/dad-truck-ford-exploer-craigslist-trnd/index.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

5.S0low and 4r70w
God tier reliability

4.0 sohc a shit

4.0 ohv also bery gud, transmissions paired up to this engine not as strong as 4r70w

Everything you've said is true. I had a 95 XLT with the 4.0 V6 ohv. The motor ran for over 220k miles. The transmission is was attached to was problematic. Had it rebuilt twice, when it failed the third time, I walked away from it.

My current daily driver is a 99 limited 5.0 v8. Fucking beast and rock solid dependability. But man it's a hog. I avg like 14 mpg. pic related

can't go wrong the windsor is a sex motor

Very nice exploder senpai.

My 97 5.0 2wd gets 19 highway, haven't bothered checking city probably really bad.

i freaking love these trucks

so simple and sturdy

204k miles and I averaged over 17 in my '99 5.0/AWD Eddie Bauer when it was my DD

What went right with the second gen explorer? Simple, everything. The second generation Ford Explorer is easily one of my favorite cars ever. Simple, rugged, cheap, reliable, durable, cheap, powerful, roomy, and cheap. I miss my 2001 mountaineer so much. It was 2wd 5.0 with all the options except 4wd. I learned to drive in that beautiful overweight POS. Flying down dirt roads on 4 bald A/T's. Doing but outs at my local skate park to impress all my friends. Doing as many donuts as possible when it rained and there was an empty parking lot. Jumping anything I could with it's 2 collapsed shocks and bent to fuck frame. That thing's ride quality was absolutely terrible, but it handled so predictably. It had about 190k miles with no rebuilds or anything until my sister hit a deer with it last winter.

It's a Ford. Excellent choice.

>be mechanic
>half the transmission swaps ive done in my time have been on this gen of Exploder
>mfw

It's a half decent attempt but it's no Geo Tracker

Derrik go to bed

Pretty much. There's also a seemingly infinite supply of them everywhere.

Amazes me how good these were when the 3rd gens were so fucking awful.

Ugh who could let that happen to a such a rare explorer?

The guy's wife drove it year round while he kept his mustang garaged.

It was too far gone by the time I got it to save it, I parted it out, sold the seats alone for more then I paid for it. Still have the shell though.

>work as LKQ warehouse manager
>most of the trannies I see are for explorers and honda automatics

i remember you posting that a long time ago in another explorer thread
the 4.0 SOHC were garbage
my explorer had 100k miles on the nose when the timing chain shit itself

Atta boy
You tellem

I've posted it a few times now and then.

The 4.0 SOHC really is pure shit. It's a shame Ford kept stuffing it in the Explorer and Ranger for so long.

The 4.0 OHV on the other hand was great.

My mom bought a 98 Sport new, 4.0 OHV, 5sp, 4x4, had 150k on it when she finally bought something new, and that's mainly because it had rotted out pretty bad by that point. I beat the piss out of it in the woods for a few years before it was ready to snap in half and I finally scrapped it. The thing still ran fucking fantastic though.
youtu.be/Hax2wvP-Izo

omaha.craigslist.org/cto/5577799777.html

The description

What's wrong with the 4.0? Sure is an improvement powerwise over the Vulcan, though you cant keep the vulcan down.

were you dropped on your head as a child?

I fail to follow why you're insulting me.

The big one is the timing chain cassette's that eat shit and die even on well maintained engines. Ford decided to take a pushrod engine and make it OHC in the worst way possible.

And that's not to mention the shit tier power and fuel economy they had. Then they stuck the awful 5r55 behind it which is good for nothing but eating servo bores.

That looks fun as fuck senpai.

Lad Sohc 4.0 suffer from shit plastic timing chain tensioners, intake manifold leaks from shit design, and finally the heads are pretty weak and crack. These engines are notorious for having the timing chain death rattle. Not to mention fixing the tensioners is a bitch without removing the engine from the car.

The 4.0 ohv makes less power, but is much more reliable than the 4.0 sohc.

>Who says you have to have a vehicle manufactured by a company that makes Italian sub-compact cars to remove the doors? *cough FIAT cough* NAYSAYERS!

Kekek

>those pics Poor exploder

You have subs in the back?

My parents just bought a 93 or 94 Explorer that I'm probably gonna end up buying from them in a couple years. Standard V6 with a auto transmission, looks like a luxury model since it's got power windows and cruise control. Needs a set of fog lamps/highbeams but at least the shocks have been replaced. The clearcoat is fucked but I'm thinking I'll slap some fake telecom logo decals and fleet vehicle markings on it for fun.

idk but i'm happy as fuck ford put that delicious 8.8 w/ lsd in that shit, fucking god yes junk yards full of amazing axles

>My parents just bought a 93 or 94 Explorer that I'm probably gonna end up buying from them in a couple years.

>perpetual_poverty.jpg

>firestone tires
kek

This made me sad.

It's like the Regular Car Reviews guy said, a Corolla that was Junior's graduation gift in 1999 will be Junior Jr's graduation gift in 2018.

>not having walmart tires
>not having 2 at and 2 highway tires improperly rotated on a 4wd
>not being an eddie bauer edition

explorers are the meme vehicle for people who never do maintenance or know anything about cars, but are still brand fanbois

cnn.com/2016/06/06/us/dad-truck-ford-exploer-craigslist-trnd/index.html

>Fed up with his son smoking weed and "acting all thug," a Florida dad sold the teen's SUV on Craigslist.

>And he agreed to take $250 off the price if the buyer lived in the area just so his son would see the vehicle every now and then to remind him "how good he had it!"

>Gieger bought his son the '98 Ford Explorer for his 16th birthday to drive to school and to work. But like a lot of teenagers, the younger Gieger had some other, uh, ideas.

>Ideas that Gieger and his wife did not approve of, like taking his friends for rides, smoking pot and neglecting to show his parents the "respect" they deserve.

kid got owned hard.

I wish the 5.0 could be had wirh a selectable transfer case and not the full time awd shit. Otherwise id be all over that

4.0 sohc is something that could of been good but leave it to ford to fuck it up

4.0 ohv is pretty solid and has a good torquey punch but thats about it

I hate SUVs but I have nothing but respect for the Explorer. Same gas milage as a crown vic, but much better utility. Offroad capable but still something I could drive to an office job everyday.

Holy shit that's classic. Explorer owners do smoke weed.

OHV 4 LYFE

The OHV is glorious

>Exploder
>not being able to afford the fancypants version of an 18 years old car

:-)

luxury off roaders are gay.

the 5.0 could be had with 2WD

the only downsides are rust and ugly front fascia

i'm aware but in new england owning a 2wd suv is pants on head retarded

Damn that thing is clean as fuck.

Alot, my friend in HS had a 96 loaded that we used to ride around and fuck around in, my parents still have their 97 to this day, got wrecked and is still kicking

Here's the ad.

V6 99 Limited here... 12 mpg

135k on it, already had to rebuild the transmission. I'm keeping it till it dies.

PWNT

Had a 1992 Explorer XLT, with 550k miles. The 4.0 OHV was an absolute dog in the performance category, especially in a 4 door with 4x4 and an auto. That said, you were gonna get to where you were going, no matter fucking what. That V6 must've been forged out of the same stuff Odin sculpted Mjolnir out of. Started right up, made good compression, didn't smoke or anything with more miles on it than a parking lot full of Civics.

Seating position was wonderful and the double visors are something I still wish I had, even as I drive around in a car 20 years newer. The honest to God toughest vehicle I've ever owned and I'll probably end up buying another to turn into an off road project.