Are GTO's good?

Are GTO's good?
I feel like they aren't. But feel like it would be the good bad, if you know what I mean.

if you want a sports car that you wont daily, then yes, they are good.

Only if you have lots of money. The twin turbo ones are Skyline GT-R tier, and cost about as much to maintain. Plus the gremlins that come with a 90s grand tourer stuffed with more electrical junk than a Tesla.

The N/A FWD models are gutless but look alright. Significantly less hassle than the MR.

tl;dr 700 horsepower money pit

Shitload of japanese electronics. Epic when is works, epic fail when it doesn't

>DSM meme

Later models had fewer electrical gizmos. By 1997 only the 4WS was left and that's pretty easy to remove if you don't want the extra weight.

Heavy
FWD biased
Too much electrical shit that goes bad
Cramped to work on

Has that sexy 90s JDM look though.

>FWD biased
VR4s are based on a FWD chassis, but they have 50/50 or 45/55 torque distribution under normal conditions. The viscous center diff can send up to 90% of the torque to the front or rear when the tires slip.

The Mitsubishi GTO has nothing to do with DSM right?

>Are GTO's good?
no

>tripfag
Opinion discarded.

not really associated, so is the FTO

DSMs all had the 4G63

My 97 GTO MR is significantly cheaper to run than the 94 GTR VSpec 2 I used to own.
It took a lot of money and time to get the GTR back on the road with a solid engine and numerous problems with the driveline that needed to be sorted out, the GTO is basically 'upkeep' and over the last 9 years has basically had slightly less than 2k worth of parts put into it.

Course, in a straight line it will murder the GTR and its far more comfortable as a road car, but the GTR is a much more nimble, controllable and advanced track car with the way the ATTESA system puts down power- there's none of that stuff on a GTO.
Hell, mine doesn't have even a cruise control, its a really primitive AWD system too.

Yes, the Ferrari 250 GTO is a fantastic car. Unfortunately they cost ~$30 million now, Ferrari's are stupidly hot right now. You best wait for the market cool off a little before thinking about buying one, though that may take several years.

Somebody in another thread said that USDM RX-7 FDs are terribly balanced because the whole car was designed for RHD and it wasn't properly mirrored for LHD. Does the 3000GT/Stealth have this problem?

>designed for RHD and it wasn't properly mirrored for LHD

Yeah I was pretty disappointed when I heard that. It probably doesn't matter that much but it tickles my autism.

What? no. I am not laughing at that. I am laughing at you.

What the flying motherfuck is that? that's one of the most bullshit things ive heard in my life.

>not properly mirrored

The only mirrored thing is the pedals, the steering wheel and hub of the steering, and that's pretty much it. There's no "properly mirrored". Its either mirrored or not. You've got to fuck up big to mirror it wrongly.

Even then, i bothered to check the differences. Apparently there is no difference between the USDM and JDM RX7 FD at all except that the Japs had revisioned models with better ECUs that had better performance, and while the US had the same, you would have to retune it since it would come detuned by stock due to smog shit.

Fuel tank location m8
It's true, it's not properly mirrored.

You silly judgmental sausage

On JDM models they put the engine and some other components off center to compensate for the weight of the driver.

The US model is built exactly the same except with 150+lbs of person sitting on the wrong side, which throws off the left/right balance of the car.

Thats not true at all wtf

Searched through the internet, searched in rotary forums and RX7 forums. Never heard a mention of that, so either that's some ultra obscure shit or you are wrong.

Sorry but again, cant find anyshit about that refferenced in any website.

ok. The fuel tank is like 2 inches to one side, but that doesn't help your argument much since the fuel tank its moved to the right to begin with, wouldn't a car that tries to center the weight have it on the other side if its from a JDM chassis?

Someone's full of shit

Ah, the tank is on the left - and JDM has seat on the right.

I feel like it's more than two inches. I think it's closer to, say, the passenger seat position ( hence compensating for the driver weight eh ).

You have to be a massive fat cunt to have any appreciable effect on a car's geometry
Maybe around 900-1100kg cars it 'could' mean you load up one side a tiny bit firmer on the suspension

What? i dont know you user but that sure as fuck doesn't look like the underside of the car. I could say that most of the time the fuel tank is connected through the underside of the trunk but you know how some cars throw off some conventional rules about car design. Besides, from the borders, it looks like its from the upside, and from the upper part, it looks like its some kind of rollcage tubes or something to support it? if its the underside then it wouldn't make sense. Therefore, its a picture taken from the above of the trunk.

If its so, the fuel tank is on the right side.

If its on the right side, and its true for both USDM and JDM models, then there is more weight on the right than on the left for the JDM variant implying there is only 1 driver and no passanger.

Then, like said, its not like it will throw the entire car off balance, small changes like this dont really affect anything unless you are at 180 mph with a really shitty suspension and not correcting the steering when you see your car slightly veering into one side.

Its not really a strong argument to say its wrongly mirrored.

they feel really heavy to drive

I don't think that's what they where on about.
It's the little things.

Racecars don't have carpet because it weighs something.

Mazda made a sports car and had to put the tank somewhere, so they put it there - which makes sense for a RHD car. I also assume there is more parts placement which shows similar thinking.
I think it's just a unique car design ethos - compensating for the drivers weight.

That's an access hole for the fuel pump, which you can see in this picture. The tank is on the left eh

Yeah dude. No.

Something's not fitting when i turn my head around and try to picture it as the underside of a car. It looks way too much like a trunk without the carpet.

in Toyota kp the spare wheel is opposite the driver in both rhd and lhd models

Thinking of the cars I've owned, the FD, the S13, GTR, GTT, GTO etc
There was only one which had a tiny bit of noticeable effect and that was the S13 which was slightly different on a very high speed (140-150+km/h), right-side turn in than it was on a left side turn in.
That's because it was around 1150kg with nothing in it but my fat 190-200lb arse on the right side and a strong breeze at highway speeds was also noticeable- plus S13 chassis are sort of notoriously floppy things as they're made out of old tin cans and happy thoughts.

Anything else- no appreciable effect as they're a much stronger, rigid chassis.
People in little cars like the MX5 might notice a bit of extra ballast too, but you'd have to get their word for it as when I was doing up an MX5 many moons ago, I never drove it in anger... mostly because they're slower than pensioners fucking

Are you still 200 lbs?

Nah I'm around 185-190 now, there's just a lot of me at 6'2

Still that's quite overweight. I wish you the best if you decide to get thinner. It wasn't easy for me to lose around 20 pounds in like 3 months.

>Still that's quite overweight.
It's not if he's in shape.

Are you genuinely implying someone of that height would get that weight in muscle, althought that would be seriously fucking impressive, even tho he already stated he was fat?

Here you go, I made you this

thanks. But i still see it as a top down pic.

6'2"/190lbs is 24 BMI, which is very average.

You've confused me man. That's very obviously a trunk shot - making that fuel tank on the left side which is opposite the drivers seat on a right hand drive car.

>That's very obviously a trunk shot
That's literally what ive been trying to say.

Its a trunk shot. Which means that the wider part of the fuel tank is on the right side, making it heavier, making it better for LHD, however the people here has been saying that its the opposite.

From where I'm sitting it looks like most of the tank is on the left of the car.

Well, it looks like it tapers towards the "driver" side. So it's still left bias. Less than I originally thought though.

I've personally owned 4 GTO's in New Zealand, 1 6 speed manual, 1 5 speed manual pre facelift and 2 5 speed non turbos.

Everything that people say about them is true, expensive to maintain when things break, the non turbos are big whales, the turbos are where it's at. Also they look sexy.

3000GT has a fwd version
All GTOs are AWD

>Skyline GT-R tier

You can't really compare the gto to a gt-r that's ridiculous. The skyline is a homolgated racer detuned for the road and the gto is basically a fwd car on steroids designed for good looks and 0-60 times. It was never meant to be modified hence the tiny factory turbos and appliance-tier miles of rubber piping.

Is the GTR expensive because of the design itself or because you bought one that was run into the ground by a garage tuner before getting sold off for cheap?

I weighed 210 at 6'3 when I was a serious athlete. 180 is pretty fucking average

i am 5'5'' at 150 lbs.

Wish i was taller

>1 inch less but 110lbs
Gross, you fat pig. You don't deserve to ride in a miata

That's the thing. I am really not that fat, or my body hides it pretty well. I have abs that show and i dont look fat at all, yet i am still supposedly a few pounds overweight.

At this point i dont know if its mostly hidden body fat or if my muscles just weight more than i thought.

probably a combination

dont know dude. I am kinda in the middle, i do have some bodyfat in my stomach but otherwise i cant seem to find fat anywhere else. I am kind of a muscly guy but i cant tell if i should weight that much.

Belly fat is tricky to get rid of, no worries m8

Dont know if i am allowed to post pics of my body, because i am really not that fat although i do weight somewhat above average.

I do have some bellyfat but its still not enough to warrant 156 lbs

If your car or bus pass are in the shot it should be kosher