Volv/o/ and SAAB general: Happy Birthday, Volvo 850

Congrats on 25 years of sensible hoonage

youtube.com/watch?v=sDdpSbLIl8k

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UAPnw_teoY4
youtube.com/watch?v=TU5GtNqVx7o
youtube.com/watch?v=HAD0tEtlkhU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I had some stupid, stupid ideas the other day.

>be me, browsing local Craigslist equivalent
>decide to check out damaged car/salvage section
>find bright red 850 wagon, clean, just under 200k miles, 2.0l i5 with a fried cylinder head so it needs a new engine, free to pick up for anyone who wants to try to get it running again
>scroll a bit further
>find crashed 1st gen V70, busted front bumper/radiator/headlights/hood, 2.5l i5, luxury line half leather interior, mechanically still good, listed for 1k
>tfw no room to store both and pull an engine/interior transplant

youtube.com/watch?v=UAPnw_teoY4
>Wish I had a 850 with stripes on the side!

>A catchy song with ingredients rock and pop!
>Dedicated to our biggest fan Stefan,
>let him drive in peace!

is Stefan kill?
youtube.com/watch?v=TU5GtNqVx7o
>No, Stefan is rolling

How fitting, I just got some parts for my 850 today. Next on the list is to fix the odometer (I have OBD-I so I can still find the actual mileage) and fixing all the bare patches on the hood. Can't wait to get more than 15 MPG.

it's not a stupid idea
>but unless the v70 wasn't throttle by wire it would have been a pain
>in U.S. that was only the '99 model I believe

me too, redoing the radiator hoses today
>random leak from somewhere
hope it's not the tank...

Just replaced the ignition wires and after logging it and throwing the book in my glovebox it latched and broke, leaving my important papers sealed inside. Now I have to bust the door off without stabbing my shit (gps, papers, EZ pass). Why did Volvo insist on making terrible glove boxes?

I really want an 850 turbo wagon as my next car. How hard is it to find one in decent condition? Is the reliability as hit or miss as people say?

For the record I have a 240 sedan not running i'm tired of fixing will sell soon. Love it but want something newer.

I had the same dilemma only I bought a normal N/A wagon. Can't speak for the turbo reliability but electronics and the like have been rock solid in mine so far. Mines hovering around 202k miles runs incredibly well (bought for $400)

samefag here, it wasn't the tanks!
>it looks like the water pump tho....

>everythings_made_of_recycled_plastic.tiff

>hard to find in decent condition?
not really, but expect to pay up to 3k for a really nice one and $100-$1k for a beat up one
>mine was $200 but it hit a deer
>it really depends on the seller

>reliable?
yes with an if
>you look at the engine bay every week (every day is better), keep on top of it and it's fluids, have at least some wrenching competency, learn the weak spots (MAF sensor, PCV system, etc.), and don't be surprised when you ABS module dies
no with a but
>people that say this are wrenching casuals like Doug DeMuro
>anecdotal evidence: Owners manual for my '96 850 turbo sez check the oil every time you fuel up
>even when brand new car
>check oil every time you fuel up
>mfw

>already has a 240
it doesn't get much more reliable than that an/o/n, drop a B5234T in it

>can't speak for the turbos
turbos tend to leak oil from the return line so really check the oil every time you fill up; other than that as long as you don't beat on them while they're cold and you let them cool down when they're hot they should last you quite a while

birthday bamp

Just got some rust free fenders for my 1995 turbo wagon. They have pinstripes though so I'll have to take those off, but they seem to be in really good shape. For 800 dollars this wagon seems to be in solid condition.

no, be a scandinavian like Install with pinstripes

Goddamn I wish I could find deals like that.

Although there's a chance I probably did and skipped over it like an asshole, judging by those NY window stickers.

my 89 5 speed swapped

I WANT A VOLVO TO HOON IN
youtube.com/watch?v=HAD0tEtlkhU

nice, is NA?

>busted window
was that body flex or did he hit something?
>such dagumi

Do you live in NY? They're everywhere here, I really like any Volvo wagon, this one just happened to be a decent deal on a turbo one. Although I was scoping out Craigslist for around 5 months before I finally found this one. Now I'm looking around for a decent one for my girlfriend to buy to replace her garbage jeep with a transmission about to go.

That is a delicious swedebox, user.

Yeah, I'm in the southern tier- which unfortunately means most Volvo wagons get scapped up by hipsters in college town to drive into the ground. I've been searching for months myself and everything's either frame-rusted (or getting there) or has too much stuff broken to bother with for a daily driver.

It's not like they're rare- I see at least a handful of Volvos of various generations dating back to the 240s every time I go out- it's that no one wants to sell the good ones because they've still got 200,000 miles of usefulness left.

For muh SAAB boys

How expensive is a Saab to maintain relative to other cars? I'm quite keen on one (Early 2000s 9-5) but all my mates keep telling me not to do it because it's so expensive to maintain. But I've kinda fallen in love with them desu

I've heard the engines are really good but the drivetrain is shit
>something about a chain drive
However look at WASAABI
>old SAAB done up ridiculously for less than $3k AU

Ooh, I'm about an hour away from Ithaca, I was lucky enough to find one that was owned by a Cornell professor who got all of the needed maintenance done, and he also used to wash it a lot. It's only the front two fenders and the hatch that have rust, I crawled underneath it and the frame only has a single spot of surface rust which I was really excited about. Next things on my list are a new hatch, most likely off of a v70 because it can bolt right on

They have a few expensive flaws like bad bushings all around but otherwise it has not been an expensive car, not for me at least. I own a MY2000 Saab 9-5, 150k km, 2.0t.

I finally have my 240 sedan on the road, but it has work to be done to get it really in more passable shape. One odd issue is a vacuum hose that broke away with age (A on the diagram), its not just a plain tube, the rubber flares out at one and when it connects in by the firewall. I don't know where to get this piece now. :/

That might be for vacuum operated components under the dashboard.

it was from a pile of tires he tried not to tap but did

>tfw no 300HP and TE37s

Well what I have been able to find seems to indicate its a vacuum tube for crankcase ventilation. At least one problem is that I can't find the replacement tube.

Rip Volvo axle also bump

aim for a 04-05 9-5 aero. Those years probably have the least problems.

>tfw finally found a manual aero

>i5
Why is it in Volvo?

Also why is turbo common in Volvo?

Thanks

It's going to be a long 7 years until this beauty is an antique.

The "Need for Swede". My 79 242 gt.

I want my future 240 wagon project to look like that

Wish my FMIC was a bit more noticeable

MAAAD JELLY
I'll never stop hunting for a coupe. I wonder if it's possible to bolt on a 79' front end to a later model like a 91'.

Don't see why not. Parts should fit. That's one of the great things about volvos, the interchangeability.

Ford 8.8 swap is almost done, got that bitch all up in dat Volvo ass

I've watched too many episodes of the Swedish version of Wallander; so whenever I see a Volvo or a Saab parked even a little conspicuously, I expect it to explode.

Because Volvo.

Shit, I'm only a half hour from Ithaca myself. Twin tiers represent, then (how 'bout them B-Mets- er, them 'B-Rumble Ponies'?).

Guess I'll keep looking around and keep my fingers crossed that the Ithacanites go back to their fruit loop fests and their Outback Legacies and Jettas and leave the goddamn Volvos alone.

BECAUSE ODIN BLESSED IT WITH ONE

if you are doing the work yourself and find one that has been looked after they are quite inexpensive to maintain.

my 92 turbo 900's only big expense from 150k miles to 250k miles is a pinion bearing. That is a week point for the classic 900.

my 01 9-3 from 140k to 230k miles has needed a 300 ignition cassette replaced. The suspension does need to be rebuilt, but that will not be any more expensive than any other car.

I recently picked up a 95 9000 that was a one owner car. Can say how expensive it will be to maintain but I don't think it will be.

The only issue with maintaining a saab is if you are not going to do your own work. You will need to fine and experience Saab mechanic. There are many things that can be misdiagnosed and cost you alot more than it should.

DAS clean!
sorry for this gayness, but it has to be said

>not the 20-valve i5

FUCKING WHY. I don't care if it's better INLINE 5S ARE COOL.

Because the I6 is designed to be run longitudinally. The I5 is only transverse.

B5234T swap when?

lol no, getting a V8
bumpin

testing if trip is unbanned yet

despite the electrical gremlin every now and again.

i love this thing. 18psi has never felt so fun.

Awesome! I hope you're going to put all the GT stuff back on like the stripes and fog light grille.

Sweeeet! I'm swapping my 260k rear for a 100k one this weekend since it clunks because of all the slop. Do you have a build thread on turbobricks or anywhere else? I'd love to put in an 8.8 eventually. I also want to put in an 8.8 in my WS6, the stock 10 bolt has got to go. There's a guy in Texas who's done over 100 retrofits, but I'd like to have my welder friend help me build my own.
samefag with the 8.8? is that an LM7?

He's right. Its for the vacuum tank in the dash. I replaced mine with one from the Pick N Pull because the end that met the intake was split. Its really easy to replace. If you have most of the old one, just connect up some small diameter vacuum hose to it.

An early front end will fit, but to do it right aside from the obvious lights with bezels, turn signals, grille, hood, fenders you will also need a pre-86 rad support. The cowl will not line up with the hood either, but the hood will still fit.

>samefag with the 8.8? is that an LM7?
yes and yes

>that intake

>Gt guy here
Im actually trying to sell it currently so if anyones in Washington state and wants it I'll be making a craig's list page for it soon.