Let's get a dash cam thread going

Let's get a dash cam thread going.

What's your setup, and your favourite cams.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T6ETkb6MUcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=cyA9iHna4o8
youtube.com/watch?v=gNWZx6pG1SI
youtube.com/watch?v=AchfmhRNGb4
youtube.com/watch?v=Lz3pkui9HPA
dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/discreet-dash-cam-with-long-battery-life.12178/
dashcamtalk.com/g1w/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mobius, hardwired into my E46 and hidden behind the rear view mirror. Seems to work well.

Only way to do it. Any other way looks shit.

how long was the usb cable you ran all the way to the cigarette lighter?

>Did it come with that mount?

I'm thinking of getting a dashcam for my z3, but i want it to be as stealthy as possible.

The cigarette lighter is permanently live on my car, so I used the power cable for the electric sunroof in the headlining because its ignition live. I then attached a cigarette lighter outlet to the wire and hid it all in the headlining. The USB cable doesn't have to be very long as a result.

The mount came with the camera; I had the choice of suction or adhesive and I always thought suction looked a bit gash. It's only a tripod mount attachment though.

Thoughts on the A118C from blackbox? Are there any other good cams at that price?

probably a stupid question but did you run that wire above the ceiling upholstery?

If so, was it a bitch to remove and put back on?

does yours gets really hot in the summer? mine does, especially where the heatsinks are, and i usually have to turn it off if i leave the car in the sun for more than an hr, just to be safe.

So my mobius stopped recording and gives me 3 quick flashes, ive looked at the settings, any ideas?

youtube.com/watch?v=T6ETkb6MUcQ

Does this count? I bought it at walmart or something for like, $30. I just suction cup mount it places and dummy cord it to the vehicle.

But for the future, I would like to ask: Is it possible to have a dash cam automatically overwrite the oldest recordings on the memory card? Or do you have to just buy a massive memory card?

>What's your setup, and your favourite cams.

None.

Not legal in Germoney

Cams are legal but the footage is inadmissible as evidence in court. At least that's my understanding.

They are usually not StVO-legal to install and you know, installing anything like that means your car isn't road legal / insurance is voided.

Also you might get to pay some since filming traffic is not legal either but I doubt this is enforced yet

but i can still walk into a brothel, get a blow job and film it legally, right?

That's an excellent camera. I have it myself. Footage it's pretty good, even at night.

Rexing V1 in the MS3. Had a G1WH in my S2k before I sold it.

Kinda like the Rexing more just because of the placement on the windshield, which wouldn't have worked all that well.

For my speed3 all I had to do was push the cable under the lining, there was a channel of sorts already present.

i'm also on the mobius train

use these 4 in my vette all hardwired & set to auto record

works pretty well but have memory card issues from time to time. i leave them in the hot ass car so the heat might be getting to them.

>They are usually not StVO-legal to install
first time I'm hearing this, source / further info please.
to my knowledge you are technically legal to film, but not allowed to publicize unless you make every person and number plate unrecognizable, since driving on the road is not a place where you have to expect to be filmed.
as long as she agrees to you filming her, sure.
if you want to publicize it, you will need to get her consent for that as well.

also; good dashcams are illegal in germany, probably would have gotten lots of shit in my time as delivery driver

Thats what a dashcam should do from default

You are a fucking faggot for using a fucking dash cam .

Man Germany is so cucked, I'm really sorry bro. Back in 06 in HS I was excited to partake in our schools exchange program where I would of spent a week in Germany for $100 total. Unfortunately it was cancelled and I never got to go.

Hundreds of thousands of mudslime invaders getting free housing and food, being illegal to film things in public, in plain sight of everyone. Doesn't seem like a deserable destination famalam... such a shame.

>steering the wheel like crazy
>car is barely steering

hahaha

stay classy, america

anyone have a setup that hooks right up to the fuse box?

I do. See Bought one of those add a fuse harnesses from the auto parts store and wired it to a 12 volt plug. Plugged the cam into that.

youtube.com/watch?v=cyA9iHna4o8

GW1C with the supplied cable hidden along the headliner and a pillar.

Does decently well during the day, shit at night.

youtube.com/watch?v=gNWZx6pG1SI
youtube.com/watch?v=AchfmhRNGb4
youtube.com/watch?v=Lz3pkui9HPA

I have one of these. DVR records forward while the second camera is wired to the back of my Outback. Got it for $50. It's not the greatest and has issues in the summer heat. I need to tuck it away in the glovebox during the summer or it wont turn on right away. Currently looking to get something more reliable with a capacitor. Been mirin the Mini 0903 but I do like the idea of a front/back dashcam.

is that thing good enough to record license plate numbers? It's better than the camera you used to take that pic right? lol

Bought pic related recently, does a good enough job even with slightly foggy windows,screenshots of videos look good enough but haven't tried the photo mode out yet. Gotta rig the wiring up properly so it's all out of sight though.

I've searched in the past but couldn't find anything but maybe y'all would know: is there a dashcam that runs solely on battery? So you could just switch it on and off when you started/stopped driving. Don't really want to deal with hiding the wires or wiring directly.

After a quick google search some guy is asking for the same thing, most cams need a special USB battery bank installed so you'll have to wire something up anyway.

dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/discreet-dash-cam-with-long-battery-life.12178/

My cam is plugged into a USB phone charger so a meaty rechargeable power bank should do the trick. You'd have to find a spot to put that, though.

Yeah I saw that same thread, thanks anyway.

Figured that was my best option. Gonna wait awhile and see if any new tech comes out. Good to know your setup works though.

Yeah there probably will be something but it may have overheating issues. I bought the capacitor version of my camera just because I hear about the battery model having overheating problems. Hell my phone will overheat when I leave it on the wireless charging car mount in the day time too long while using GPS.

>Gonna wait awhile and see if any new tech comes out.
Same. I really want a dash cam but don't want to wire my car because it's new and always afraid of causing battery drain or something.

Wish there was one I could charge like weekly or something.

Mine

CarwayF30

Sorry for potato pic

Its ok for 56 dollars. Good night vision and dual screen 1080p

haha look at that fucking carpet

Why is it always the cheapo ones that have the best designs?

Been thinking about buying a Xiaomi Yi for shits and gigs, but it's hard to justify buying a dashcam. Only real worth is if I'm in an accident.

I live in a no fault state so not sure how valuable one would be

maybe lawsuits?

Gonna buy a MiVue 688 this summer.
I'm sick of these shitty chinese cams. I didn't expect much from them for the price of 50$ but after the last order i made, i give up.

I had a G1WH for a year, which worked fine and recorded sound and picture sharp and in supreme quality. So i thought a year later, after getting a second car, why not order another one for me and my mother. Ordered them from the same seller, i bought the first one and got two shitty rip-off models for the same price of 50$.

Both are unable to hold battery charge. They have a loud buzzing sound when viewing footage on the computer
and time resets itself everytime you turn the car off. Keeps making SOS videos, even thought the G-Sensor was turned off in the settings.

I loved the first one but it also failed shortly (cam was 1 year old) after i ordered the new ones but i hold no grudge, since it was only 50 bucks but the new ones came broken out of the box.

Sucks that MiVues are not distributed in my country but only in the neighbouring ones.

Neat shit, I saw a kit for babies but it's like $40 for $10 worth of parts

I would love a DVR box that I can hide under the passenger seat or something that has tiny ass cameras that can run to different parts of the car

G1W-C masterrace here.
Sprayed the bezel black, sprayed LED light cover black and disconnected the LED for extra stealth cred. Had to tape the buttons to stop a rattling noise on the recordings.
You will see a lot of people say the capacitor miraculously keeps the time and date, but over a long weekend it actually reset on me so over 2.5 days without driving is its limit.

If I get another one I would want a parking mode and rear view camera.

What's the average bitrate?
What size SD Card do you use?
Is a 128GB SD Card too overkill?
1080p/30fps or 720p/60fps?

as an uber driver i bet you could get some pretty good upskirt shots with cameras pointed the right way and hidden well.

t. shitskin

dashcamtalk.com/g1w/

12Mbps? Its in the link I guess.
I use one of my 32GB Lexar 600x that I got my for GoPro.
I think 64GB is the limit and at that they cause issues with these cams. 32GB does about 4-5hours of driving before looping and rewriting the first block so more than enough for keeping any recent incident.
1080p/30fps

Loads of cheap knockoffs of this cheap entry level cam with decent quality. It's the processor and sensor that you are looking fore more than the manufacturer name.

I've been using a Black Box G1W-X + 32GB MicroSD card. Cost me less than $60 on Amazon, it records in very clear 1080p. 100% satisfied with it.

those mirror/dashcams look so ugly, I hate them so much