Just bought my first car (pic related). And yes I know how to take care of it. New ignition coils are in the mail...

Just bought my first car (pic related). And yes I know how to take care of it. New ignition coils are in the mail. This was probably a terrible idea but hey its fucking awesome to drive. It's an '09 with a 6-speed manual. 90k miles but the engine was replaced and has 18k on it. Owner has treated it well, engine was replaced by the dealer before he bought it. Hes only used 93 octane, redlined it daily, and checked the oil every other fillup.

Other urls found in this thread:

rx8club.com/rx-8-discussion-3/so-redline-not-230176/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Looks pretty clean. Any more pics?

Just the ones from craigslist, but I can post those, just one sec.

tell me how much you paid for it

Just over $9,000. Really not too bad of a deal.

uhhh that's not a good deal either pal

It has like 2 dents on the passenger side but they should be easy to get out
why don't you find a series 2 RX8 for 9k with an 18k mile engine thats been taken care of decently

fucking awesome. I wish you the best with that car. keep us updated if you do anything to it.

Thanks man, I really love it. Probably gonna keep it mostly stock other than some life support features and maybe lowering it a bit, but I don't want to be THAT GUY. Also that front license plate is gonna go soon. Definitely gonna remove the cat because they don't check emissions where I live, and I don't need another point of failure.

I will find you and steal your first car, child

Have fun, those plates are going in a week

If he just bought it that might be the previous owners plates.

>09 RX-8
Good job, 2nd gen is better in every single way than the first gen.

Good find with only 18k on it

Make sure to pick up a set of jack stands and an engine hoist before 30k miles

I've got free access to a full shop with a two point lift, actually, so that isn't an issue lol

What part of Texas are you in? I know Houston is having a meet on the 17th

SA

Ah. Never mind then. Unless you're in the mood for a road trip on that weekend.

Nah I got work. Might go to a later one though. I know people on this board got a thing for rotaries so it would be a cool thing to show off.

Ya we had one rx8 at the 2nd meet. Cool guy but he moved shortly after the meet. Need a new rx8 ano .

buy a POS CRX or something to DD, you don't want to DD a nice car like that with shit mpg's

user.* fucking phone.

You'd be surprised what gas is like in Texas. 93 octane is like 2.10/gal here right now lmao. And I make a decent amount of money, gas isn't a huge deal for me.
I got you

>redlined it daily

Why do you say this like it's a good thing? Is there something different about rotarys that make them benefit from this?

I'll take the bait
The rx8 rotary should be redlined at least once every day to avoid shit blowing up.

not him but you got a source for that?

but no more than 3 times
you'd have to be a madman to do it exactly 2 times a day, though.

$9000?!

You can get them for $3000-$4000 Cnd all day in Canada. If you spent $9000 US that's insane and you got ripped.

did it my self.
rx8club.com/rx-8-discussion-3/so-redline-not-230176/

3-4k for an 09? Are you actually retarded?

W/o a lsx swap 3000 is about right for a rx8

I'd say 9k for a recently rebuilt 2009 is a decent price
Go ahead and link the 3k 2004 models with no compression

9k is fine, what the fuck

it's a 2009 car

sweet dorito, OP!

seeing as you're /texas/ are you gonna go to any of the Veeky Forums meets? houston and dallas

kinda like lifting
5 for strength
8+ for hypertrohpies
6-7 is useless

Op spend $9000 on a rx8, a car worth literally nothing....

Pic

$9000 buck what the fuck were you thinking...

it still has a good dorito inside his

They say a fool and his money will soon be parted, must have been talking about op lmao

> 2005
Try again

I thought they only drove trucks and Continentals / Town Cars in Texas.

Ahhh haha I could post these all day, so many unwanted in the used market because they are literally shit.

>girls car looks
>4 doors are lame as fuck
>engine needs replacement at 60k
>lol no torque
>mpgs of a v8
>so slow
>lol apex seals
>burns oil by design

What a pile of shit. And you paid $9000 for all the listed perks? Lmao you're a fucking retard op. Could have bought something good and with a turbo for that money.

Fuck you could have had the last true Dorito beast, the rx7 FD but you bought the girls rx8 with no balls. Congrats you could have bought literally 4 rx8s for that kind of money. You've got to be the stupidest fuck on Veeky Forums.

4 years won't triple the price tag

2/10 apply yourself

It will when the series 2 are much better than the series 1.
That's a good deal OP. I'm looking at a series 1 with a blown engine to rebuild for my first car.

Tell me I'm a retard Veeky Forums

Everything he said was true though, other than the subject stuff like it being a girls car.

The reality is that op overspend...a lot. Not just a little bit either, probably spend doing what he needed to. Should have had a budget of maybe $5k.

*subjective

It's the same car with minor fixes. There's not much different and all the same problems exist. Plus 09 is an old ass car to be spending almost a grand on when you can get that same old ass car for 2000.

> replace engine very 60k
Lol sure

>>girls car looks
to each their own i guess
doors are lame as fuck
it has a stiffer chassis that most coupes, plus suicide doors are dank af
>>engine needs replacement at 60k
every time somebody says this the number gets lower lel. next time it'll be you need a new engine every time you drive it
>>lol no torque
loving my 9k redlne
>>mpgs of a v8
gas is cheap, and on the highway it gets like 24 which is enough for me. It's a sports car
>>so slow
not really that slow
>>lol apex seals
take care of your engine and nothing will go bad with them
>>burns oil by design
burns about as much oil as a honda or toyota, but they aren't supposed to

Except those "minor fixes" fixed almost all of the reliability issues and made them much easier to take care of. Reliability of 03-05s is the only real issue. Even a 2006 has the ignition coil problem mostly repaired.
They make aftermarket coils that fix it completely.
If you put on a racing beat exhaust (especially with the race pipe) you will also fix most if not all of the overheating problems, and gain a little power on top of that.

You do. Well you have 2 choices at 60k.

You'll either replace the engine with a fresh wankle or you'll pull the engine, do a full year down, and replace the apex seals. They only last 60k regardless of how well you take care of the engine, they're a wear item.

Don't replace them and compression is gone, engine power is gone, and eventually it just won't start.

Where are you getting this 60k number? Most places that spout this meme say 80k, and even that is a fucking lie.
There are people on the forums with over 150k on a stock engine

people who need to tear down at 60 or 80 are revving the fuck out of the engines all the time. normal driving with occasional fun should last over 100 at least.

He's getting it from the other nocar bus riders on this board
200k+ is possible with just oil and spark plug changes

>people who need to tear down at 60 or 80 are revving the fuck out of the engines all the time
actually it's the opposite.
of you don't rev the fuck out of a rotary (especially a renesis) you'll build up carbon which will lead to bad compression

All the time includes when it's cold

>200k+ is possible with just oil and spark plug changes
That's a nice thing about a rotary actually. If you drive it enough, you'll only ever need to top off the oil. You'll burn it before it gets too old.

>with an 18k mile engine
tell me why i think that was a replacment and not the original?

Taken right off clubrx8.com

"If possible engine failure makes you that uncomfortable and/or paranoid, then this is not the car for you. You have to accept the issues or ownership will turn into a nightmare. It still could anyway, but your mindset going in is far more important than statistics. The more prepared you are, financially and mentally, the less of a problem any of this will actually be for you."

Also:

"You might be wondering why it is that we have such a poor outlook. The problem is that there are so many different ways for an engine to fail"

Maybe because he said that it was a replacement in the OP?

problem with these cars is ya gotta rev to 8500 rpm just to make a paltry 200hp.
That's alot of noise to go slow.
also, unreliable engine

>people think 200hp is slow

In a sup 3000lb chassis, it's fast enough to have tons of fun.

Also OP, since the engine is new and probably in good condition, you should turbo it. I've been wanting to see a turbo RX8 built by a real person for a long time.

Clubrx8.com FAQ:

Ways the engine will fail:

"- Excessive carbon buildup accelerates seal wear, causing compression loss (particularly a problem in automatic RX-8s)
- Excessive carbon buildup unseats the apex seals, causing compression loss (particularly a problem in automatic RX-8s)
- Excessive heat buildup warps the housings to one degree or another, preventing the apex seals from sealing, causing compression loss (particularly a problem with older RX-8s that haven't had a cooling system overhaul)
- Excessive exhaust temperatures overheat the side seal springs, warping them until the side seal pops out of it's location, clips the exhaust port and shatters, throwing shrapnel through the engine (particularly motors that are turbocharged, supercharged, or see nearly 100% track time)
- Fuel pump failure or high lateral G left turns with low fuel causes fuel starvation under load, creating a lean spike that causes detonation and shatters seals (particularly a problem with older RX-8s that haven't had a fuel pump replacement)
- Cat failure (even more common than engine failure) causes localized heat and pressure buildup that overstresses the seals and breaks down oil viscosity, leading to various issues (particularly a problem with new owners that don't know to replace their ignition)"

sounds like the buildup in automatic models are due to the engine bogging when the slushbox shortshifts for efficiency.

Lol
Redline a day and get a new exhaust and that fixes 5/6 problems.
Anybody who leaves the stock exhaust on is a pleb anyway.

"- Clogged oil injection lines prevent oil from being injected, leading to excessive apex seal wear and side seal overheating, leading to compression loss and/or catastrophic failure (particularly a problem with long oil change intervals)
- Subpar reman engine quality, starting with low compression that accelerates any other issue (reman quality has improved over the years, but bad apples are still reported)

These are just the common failure methods. There are uncommon ones, and/or freak ones, like a transmission issue snapped one guy's e-shaft somehow (probably a defective e-shaft that was too weak), or issues that are entirely owner caused, like too low octane or not keeping on top of the oil level."

Even the community warns people from buying the car because it's such a piece of shit lol.

All of this is the first gen rx8

Premix
Don't have your engine rebuilt by a retard

>These are just the common failure methods.
You realize any engine has common failure methods, right?

Nope go read it's all of them.

Lol no these are issues the community as a collective have put together. The entire collective of rx8 enthusiasts over the years have compiled this and know more than you kiddo.

Wrong.
"How about the newer RX-8s though? Shouldn't they be good to go?
In 2009 they introduced some subtle but significant engine changes correcting several things, the most critical of which was an increase in oil pressure to RX-7 ranges. This doesn't make them immune to engine failure however, for example a failed thermostat could kill a perfectly good engine, but it helped to reduce the wear-related failures a bit."

>reduce failure rates a bit

Muh significant 09 changes!!!!

Are you retarded or just trolling?
>Nope go read it's all of them.
>"- Excessive carbon buildup accelerates seal wear, causing compression loss (particularly a problem in automatic RX-8s)
>- Excessive carbon buildup unseats the apex seals, causing compression loss (particularly a problem in automatic RX-8s)
>(particularly a problem in automatic RX-8s)
You don't know why carbon builds up, do you?

>Lol no these are issues the community as a collective have put together. The entire collective of rx8 enthusiasts over the years have compiled this and know more than you kiddo.
If you'd fucking read instead of just copying random shit, you'd see that they explain why these things happen, and how to prevent them.
>(particularly a problem with older RX-8s that haven't had a cooling system overhaul)
>(particularly motors that are turbocharged, supercharged, or see nearly 100% track time)
>(particularly a problem with new owners that don't know to replace their ignition)
Of you know how to maintain your car, these are all non issues.
>for example a failed thermostat could kill a perfectly good engine
That's every car. Any engine can overheat, shithead

People still try to defend these engines? There is a reason the rx7 and rx8 never sold well except in the aftermarket. There is a reason more race teams don't use them. There is a reason they are literally the only modern cars that use a rotary. They aren't fucking reliable, at all.
>muh revs doe
Your no torque and apex seals. Have fun with your money pit OP. Also, go ahead and run a bead of caulk around the entire vehicle unless you like swimming inside the cabin at the slightest hint of rain

Man the rx8 is a shitpile. Thanks to the user for posting all the info I was going to look at one later this week, dodged a bullet.

S2000 it is then, made the choice simple.

I predict within 6 months ops car is sitting in his driveway broken down and will rot away lol.

It shouldn't have even come with wheels and tires from the factory, just jack stands.

You just got memed

It's about to become a sad story to tell his kids someday.

A lot of time its just anons trolling the rotards, since they're so ez to bait
But yea, s2000 is a far better car. good choice

use rotary until ded
then LS swap.

Depends if he can do 200k miles in 6 months or not

No I actually went to the website and was reading it all.

I just can't believe Mazda didn't offer a recall on them all, this has to be the biggest fuck up of any car manufacturer. It's pretty sad I love the rx8 visually but when owners are telling you it WILL break down regardless of preventative maintainance that's enough for me I'm out.

>I just can't believe Mazda didn't offer a recall on them all
They actually did you fucking nigger

>so easy to bait
It's actually just the fact that the rotary is the most unreliable engine currently available, has no torque, makes under 200hp stock, shit's apex seals, yet still gets put on a pedestal for some reason.
>b-but a turbo will make it go fast
>muh high rev limit
You could slap an ebay turbo on a civic and it will walk away from these shit heaps while still being more reliable.

It just sucks because the s2000 costs a lot more. Unless you're op I guess because he over spent kek.

> regardless of preventive maintenance
aftermarket ignition coils, aftermarket exhaust, premix and all problems solved
Read again, dumb ass Honda ricer fanboy

You added an extra 0 mate

> most unreliable engine available
It's not a corvette engine

> less than 200hp
Lol so mad can't even get facts straight
Don't be upset that a rotary driver cucked you and stole your gf

called it

Op don't be so angry lmao.

Everyone gets ripped off once in their life, learn from it and move on.

Why the fuck didn't you do some research before dropping 9 thousand dollars on a turd? One visit to rx8club would have been all you needed to do to prevent such a big mistake. Live and learn bro live and learn :/

>corvette engine is unreliable
That's why people swap LS motors into these then right?
>less than 200 hp
Way less than 200 at the wheels
>got cucked by one
Implying a dorito holds a candle to a boosted M54 3.0

true. the s2000 will hold value better too, so you're just banking the difference.

found the baited rotard

You fucked up, it'll be broken in a week.

kek

>op spends $9000 on a car worth $2000 because he thinks 09 so invincible
>gets wrecked in his own thread by facts
>proceeds to shitpost

Please be roll playing.

This whole thread is just fucking great.

Rotards are some of the dumbest people I know.

shit nigger what are you doing

you can buy an FD rx7 for that