/dfg/ ~ Dwarf Fortress General

weremonitor edition

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.06
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o8mQiXKKfWw
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=107924.msg7141792#msg7141792)
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7209
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

RIP in pisses Dwarf Fortress General

>/rwg/ going strong
>/dfg/ flounding
there must be something we can do about this injustice

Urist Flees in Terror.

HA HA, not to worry firend

/rwg/ is all homosexual little graphicboy talking about homoserx. they are very insecuret and only play game becue of bandwagon

menmawhile, /dfg/ s for real mEN. we are all playing DF bevause we LIKE the game

we will rise again, sooner or later, friedns

NO, NOT AGAIN
I'VE A FULL TOMB ALREADY, THANKYOU
COME ON YOU HAPPY MERCHANTS HELP ME

I too play Dwarf Fortress because I like real men

So how do you win Dwarf Fortress?

the key to winning is having fun

the more fun you have, the worse your fps gets

I guess you can consider yourself a winner every time you get down to 1 fps

>generate lovely world
>find a lovely spot to settle
>notice that there aren't any goblins in contact
>actually there aren't any goblins at all

i guess it was just to good to be true

Set your own goal.

When your adventurer is king and you've ushered in the age of heroes that seems like a good victory point

With skill, perseverance, and savescumming

I sure hope you're talking about adventure mode. Save scumming doesn't make fort mode more interesting(unless you impose a few handicaps on yourselves, like notraps and nobridges, the game will be painfully easy to begin with).

Savescumming in fort mode is really only worth it when one of your important dwarves dies to some bullshit.
And by important I mean "makes the game actually interesting"
I mean which is more fun? Losing your metalcrafter to some lucky kobold thief who manages to stab him in the heart, or continuing to shit out ridiculously valuable gold crafts to pump your wealth sky high and attract all kinds of invasions?

It was a joke. That was a glib spoiler. Like this one. Adv mode savescumming is wrongbad too you fucking casual. That spoiler was totally serious.

>Adv mode savescumming is wrongbad too you fucking casual.
I disagree. Fucking up in fort mode leads to interesting developments and a need to adapt to changed conditions. Fucking up in adv mode leads to the game ending immediately. Maybe when Toady adds more non-combat stuff to adv mode, I'll consider stop save scumming.

>not savescumming in advmode
Then why even play?
There is absolutely nothing interesting to do in advmode that doesn't require savescumming.

Savescumming in fort mode is acceptable only when trying to figure out exactly what went wrong.
For example, accidentally collapsing your main stairway trying to make a nice waterfall, killing roughly half your fort in the cave-in. I eventually just said fuck it and retired the fort, that stairwell would have taken so much time to fix that it would be quicker just to make a new fort.

So I've recently picked up DF again after a hiatus of several years, and I wanted to ask, with the climbing stuff now, are 2 tile high walls absolutely safe? Like there's not gonna be some elven rock-climber or giant brown recluse that's gonna just come up and over it, right?

No, things will try to climb that and probably succeed. Even discounting that, flying creatures have been a thing forever.

upvoted

Rough wood/stone walls (you brought a boulder or log over to construct the wall) = easily climbable

Block wood/stone walls (you brought a block over) = hard to climb

Smooth stone walls (its a natural rock face that you smoothed from that side) = essentially impossible to climb

Suddenly the game got alot scarier.

Is there any way I can make my aboveground areas secure against non-flying stuff?

Have an adventurer wall off the area completely.

Use a smooth natural stone wall around your fort (requires pure luck for availability, or a lot of digging and channeling).

Dig a deep channel in front of the walls.

The procedurally generated, multi-material musical instruments and books gives me hope for procedurally generated, multi material weapons; think spear, pick, hammer, bolt and mace shafts coupling with metal heads for them for an improved overall end product.

Guess it's time to get some mining skill for the lads.

Would filling a channel with water be better than keeping it dry?

Well, water can definitely keep them out or drown them.

On the other hand, people have reported goblins floundering to the other side of the moat and climbing out.

Better make it a wide moat then. And put marksdwarves at the top.

AND made out of blocks.

Thanks, guys.

>Is there any way I can make my aboveground areas secure against non-flying stuff
Overhangs.
You can't climb up an overhang. Go two tiles high, then build a ring of floors around the outer edge of the wall. You are now safe from climbers.

>procedurally generated weapons
Yes because we really need to nerf goblins some more.

How would that be nerfing goblins exactly?

>it consists of a wood block
>the wielder strikes with the wood block

Yes! You are the best user!

I did that with fortifications and invaders climbed over anyway. Has that been patched, or does it only work with floors?

I've never tried it with fortifications. I've been doing it with floors and it's worked just fine for me.

I died when I saw the kea running away with the chair.

But in this Dwarf Fortress, just what can we do?

what the fuck

Do the stuff. Build the thing. Follow your dreams.

Fortifications have a floor included as part of the tile that functions exactly like every other floor. If they still climbed over then you did it wrong.

Will an undead army of goblins go away after a while?

sometimes I'm tempted to mod fingernails and teeth out of civilized races (or their attacks anyway) just because I don't really imagine armed combatants biting and scratching one another

What could I have possibly done wrong? What I think happened is that they grabbed the fortification from the side, which is something they couldn't do with floors.

Ow.

I remove the scratch attacks along with the "slaps with the flat" attacks, there are times when you would want them, but facing down against a fully armored whirling dwarvish? Nah, you want to put the cleaving bit in the moving bit.

Built fortifications do not, carved ones do.

That's exactly how I feel. Biting though is actually really useful on occasion. Scratching on the other hand is just stupid and pointless. Kinda like those useless attacks on weapons, like hitting with the flat of the axe blade or the pommel of the sword.
Nothing pisses me off more than one of my dwarves wasting their turn on a useless attack, and then getting killed for it.

>mah digga

Keas are pretty horrible creatures IRL.

youtube.com/watch?v=o8mQiXKKfWw

>Keas found it easy to attack defenseless flocks, pecking open the sheep's back to get at the rich fat deposits beneath.

Well, screw that. The werelizards killed my fort and now my fortress of 90 went down to 10.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about

Can you put floor bars on the outside of walls instead of fortifications, so your marksdwarves can still shoot through them?

>tfw you wish they'd just attack your useless children instead of stealing wheelbarrows and booze

You need fatter children.

The wiki claims edged attacks are 100x more common than blunt attacks on a weapon. Not sure if I agree.

Biting attacks ARE very good.

Yes, delicious fat childrens... wait

THat's okay, kids in DF are routinely so fat they have more total body mass than grown male humans or even than night trolls.

Let's not forget the horrors of dwarven daycare and the uberfatties that came out of it.

>tfw dying thread

>dead at 16... posters
Dorf fast, die young, leave a molestable corpse.

I am terrified.

it was inevitable

My problem is, when i'm playing DF and actually generating content and stuff to talk about, I'm having too much fun to come post on /dfg/.

Am I the only one who adventures with a quiver full of other weapons to pull out instead of spending time pulling out stuck weapons/to throw?
>Bitches don't know bout my quiver with a spear, a pike, 2 knives, and a long sword
>mfw every encounter that doesn't instantly get beheaded tends to look like a pincushion of weapons

Daily post about FPS death.

>open paint
>start playing DF
>whenever there's something funny in DF hit
ALT + PRINT
>switch to paint
CTRL + V
Save as...
>switch back to DF

my quivers are either full of bolts or other small stuff like coins
trowing a bolt or even a coin at the right time can easily give you an edge in battle
especially when you just separated because of a dodge

I use scratch if it has a !Attack. otherwise slashing and stabbing is nice.

>bolts or other small stuff like coins
Yeah having shit like that to throw would be nice, but whenever my 2 handed sword gets stuck in a bitch they usually seem to attack me once or twice as I yank on it. releasing the 2 hander and pulling out a long sword takes no time at all for some reason and I can get back to hacking that much quicker.
Throwing daggers and spears is just there to make me feel like a badass

Fuck elves

Dodge to the side, or kick them off your weapon if you're strong enough, that's how I kicked the dick off that yeti (I was trying to pop guts out to bite them off) here:

I don't know man. I could do all of that, but something just feels right about sticking several weapons into something while blocking everything it tries to do.
>tfw saw a neat picture of a zombie soldier thing with spears and swords and shit stuck in it all over but can't find it

Will burrowed dwarfs be hauled to hospital zones if injured or do I have to give them their own hospital zone inside the burrow (along with the cafeteria and temple).

Ya know, I'm curious about whether using adamantine serrated discs as ninja stars would work

You know what to do

So I found a naked peasant in a lair bathing in piles of shitty items.
Should I bash?

Nah he might be a werebeast and you may have a missing hand you want to regrow sometime

How come artifacts created in my Fey Moods aren't relevant to my fort's culture? Are those actually quite rare, or have I been unlucky?

If I come across an abandoned hamlet can I claim it as my own and if so what new gameplay options will open up if I do?

Does anyone happen to have the 42.05 version of Taffer/CLA? I wanna play SPARKING! but finding legacy versions of the sets is a bitch.

Is there an easier way to decipher what's happened in combat, other than opening the report section and going through the log of every single creature involved in the combat?

I don't mind doing it for small scale conflicts, but figuring out what's happened when I'm watching a larger conflict drives me nutty.

How old is your fort. If it's young then you don't have much of a culture pool to pull from other than "it depicts the settling of x in the year y".

Unless you mean your parent civ's culture then yeah, you've been unlucky.

I have a snakeman companion and he lost his arm and tail so he just sort of crawls around. But he says he's having a great time traveling with my character.

I don't know if I should free him to go back home or keep him with me help.

Well it's not very old, but the Weremonitor infection that halved the population, caused fighting all across the primary level, filled the tomb, and whose conflicts left corpses in lakes and blood still staining the halls a year or two later, I would have expected one commemoration about it.

They're still having flashbacks about that night. They simply want to forget

I have no experience with snakemen, but I had a adventuring companion with one permanently useless arm once and didn't have any problems arising from said injuries.

Then yeah, unlucky. I had a one year old fort where the only death was dehydration from being stuck in a tree. Funny enough, I wouldn't have known had it not been for the artifact depicting said dehydration.

I'm talking from a moral perspective, not a gameplay mechanic one. Goshdarn dorf fort making me feel things for pixels.

It hasn't been updated, but a new version of Taffer/CLA is being worked on. (bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=107924.msg7141792#msg7141792)

I know, but i'm not looking for a new version, i'm looking for a legacy version for 42.05, and none of these yokels seem to host any legacy versions

I'm trying to manually install a tileset but all i get is a black screen, even though i made the necessary edits to init.txt. What gives?

Updated it to 42.05 for you. Kindly let me know if I screwed it up. Note that item_tool.txt in raw/objects is literally the default RAW file, intended to undo CLA's work to that file. If it conflicts with SPARKING! then just ignore it.

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7209

(Should probably clarify that these are my first two Veeky Forums posts).

Morally? Might as well keep him with ya. What's he gonna do if he goes home? Wind up as an old useless cripple who waxes on to the hatchlings about the good old days when he could still slither?

One of these days he WILL die on an adventure, but at least he'll go down fighting. Give your comrade in arms the death he deserves. As a warrior.

Ah ok, that makes sense.

Good ol Worf
Always has the right advice

Is there any way to give nicknames to domesticated animals? I want to keep track of which ones are fertile.

>burning a gobbo dark fortress
>followers quickly fucked off somewhere chasing goblins
>they're probably dead
>almost get fucked up by a goblin swordsmen, a beak dog, and a troll
>troll just sort of fucked off after I ruined his guts
>beak dog gave into pain after several shattered legs
>but this fucking goblin
>got his hands on iron and copper plate
>kept getting parried and blocked
>stole his sword and chucked it at him, did some damage
>stole his shield and chucked it at him, but he dodged
>I'm apparently too much of a casual to penetrate his armor with my iron longsword
>just grabbed the fucker's head and crushed his skull
Wow, I didn't think it would've been that easy

Shoulda named your character The Mountain

>tfw another troll came by and fucked up my ankle just enough so now I'm sitting in the corner and just swinging at any goblin that comes within range while trying to stop being tired
I'm surprised nobody has come by to finish the job yet.
Also what the fuck these goblins just walk on through my room of death and don't even give two shits