Supra Question

Well last night i managed to buy a supra shell (literally nothing in the engine bay) for dirt cheap off my mate.

Since it has no engine, i'm going to need to fix that obviously, so i spent last night running the numbers.

By my calculations i can spend 10 grand on a nice built 2jz-gte or a ls to get the amount of hp i want.

>Cost is near equal on both.
>I'm leaning towards the LS because i read it's easy as fuck to wire, i've already calculated the pre-fabbed kit in the price of a build and parts are everywhere here, it has an even better aftermarket
>Not sure if it will throw handling out of whack though, but everything i read online says it sits lower and further back, as well as being lighter than the long iron block 2jz

Can someone offer some input here? Considering the above factors i'm thinking ls swap will be the most cost efficient option, also giving me better handling and that lovely v8 sound/driveability on the street.

Are there any downsides i have missed other than a purist sperging out at the very notion?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fm5k1ntJNBU
youtube.com/watch?v=MSr6pI8QrJY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why not turbo 20b swap?

Wanting high amounts of torque at low rpm, it just makes street driving nice.

I was originally planning on just buying the 2jz-gte, but the more i read tells me a ls swap could be pretty fucking awesome.

I read that it's lighter, sits further back and further down for better weight distribution.

Infact, the only problem seems to be it makes purists sperg the fuck out.

I personally don't see the problem as the car has no engine right now, it's my duty to pick the better engine, no?

I don't know if this will be much input but i know of a ls3 swapped supra (not personally) here in Australia that is just fucking terrifying.

I've ran into it a few times on the streets and chatted with the bloke once, it's just really fucking tuff. Demolished my 507 walkinshaw package, if that's anything to go by.

Apparently the guy's spent over a hundred grand plus though, he's got full carbon fiber re-panelling and shit.

As a holden lover i think you're dead on mate, do the fucking swap. The engine is the one amazing thing about our cars.

LS Swap for $500.

Do you know how heavy this chassis is? Look at this suspension geometry

>he bought a turdgen supra

Pull a 500$ vortec 5300 truck block
Get the 700$ carb conversion from holley
Get a 500$ heavy hitter cam
Spend under a grand on good headers and an exhaust
400-500+ carb'd n/a hp without wiring and bs while staying under 5k
For a trans, get a cheap t5 and the only custom piece you're going to need are mounts and a driveshaft.

You can easily stay under 5k with this build. Another route if you have the patience for wiring and electonic tuning, get a junkyard 4.8 and rebuild it with new bearings/rings and you can drop 3-5k turboing it and make easily over 600hp reliably. If that's what you're after, if you go any higher than 600, swap the rear end and maybe go dry sump so you dont roast the fuck out of your turbos. Throw a beefy clutch in and you can get a 600hp reliable turbo'd supra for under 8k i'd say.

for a thousand bucks i would be stupid not to. the only thing wrong with it is the engine blew.

thanks mate. any comment on the handling aspect?

is what everyone's saying about it being lower down and further behind the front axle true?

u spent 1000 dollars on a shell that is worth 3 thousand as a running vehicle.

*clap*

C O Y O T E
O
Y
O
T
E

If you really need the handling, get an all aluminum 5.3
Get custom made mounts to push the motor as far back as possible and as low as possible and maybe a little firewall work won't hurt.
Since you don't have 150lbs of iron hanging over the front axle from the i6 layout, you will be able to move the cog back a little bit, and the all aluminum motor is lighter as well. Since you want to street it, i reccomend a twin smaller turbo kit and a not so heavy cam and a higher flow muffler/exhaust to keep the noise down. The stock heads flow great so even a slightly larger cam will see big increases. Cam, headers, injectors, fuel pump, and ignition should net you 400-450hp, while spending under 3k. If you want more power, spend the time to rebuild the motor with good bearings and rings. Dropping 5k on a turbo build with quality turbos, a solid fuel/tuning system should easily net you 600hp on lower boost levels. Also, the pistons tend to go over 600 if there are high detonation levels so if you really want to make shitloads of power, drop another 2k on internals.

>a thousand bucks
wtf
you said you got it dirt cheap you lying shit
please tell me you didn't pay $1000 for a third gen supra shell
that thing is worth $500 at most you got fleeced

Are you fucking dumb? OP got a pretty good deal, here in australia where supras are cheap as fuck it's still a 20-30 grand car.

If it's gonna cost him 10k to put an engine in, he's coming off great.

Where did you get third gen from?

It's a mk4 supra shell.

Thanks, appreciate the help.

It's a TT shell too, so i got the quality gearbox and the amazing brakes as well with it.

Once i get a good amount of power in it, it's gonna be a dirt cheap but fun as fuck machine.

Ye do an LS swap if you can mate it to the stock supra tranny somehow

You'll be making dumb cunt power and less weight than stock rofk

There's a kit for this, i think OP already knows.

LS swapping is really better in every way, since you have no engine right now and can go either path.

>20-30 grand
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

SS? R8? GTS? ???

Either route you take will be a great build OP. good luck

>mk4 supra shell.
not him, but you could've said pic unrelated in the OP you massive turdrustler

>shell
>only engine/ trans and rad seem to have been taken

>507 Walkinshaw Package
All you get in that kit is a Pulley Upgrade, Ceramic Coated Headers and Cats, Dual Cat Back Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, and a ECU Calibration. Anyone who believes that will bump you to 507 kW (680 hp) deserves to get demolished.

I have a 2JZ swapped Mk. 3, and this guy is local to me - ls twin turbo with hoodstacks.

Love my car, but an LS in a Mk. 3 is just neat

>LS in a Mk4

That would be sweet but man that rubs me the wrong way.

I know what you mean

>Supra
>posts a Celica GT-Four

It's a lifeless shell as is. I reckon the LS swap is acceptable in the same way organ transplants are.

That's a mk3 supra you yard. Look at the bumper and hood bulge.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fm5k1ntJNBU

1FZ-FE with a turbo.
>4.5L aluminium I6
>Inexpensive to buy
>Keeps it in the Toyota family

youtube.com/watch?v=MSr6pI8QrJY

Dude this isn't forza..

In Australia a 20b goes for like double what an ls1 or 2j sells for... so for starters they're ridiculously overpriced due to being rare. Next thing is they are literally the worst for anything unless sitting on redline.

Yes rotors are cool af.. but in nearly every single application an ls1 is a better choice.

its a Mk3

The 1FZ is cast iron, and heavy as fuck, you dumbass. Keep the FZs for hipo Landcruiser builds famalam.

You didn't read through the thread. It's allegedly a A80.

Ford faggot please leave no one called upon you

How much of a fucking meter can you be? That's obviously a corolla

That's not even OP's claimed car you stupid faggots. And fuck you OP for making a bait thread without a real car body to show for it.