/bmw/ - BMW general

>no BMW thread
This is verboten.
No copypasta edition.

twotone fag here
CD cover is back in from being painted, BMW sapphire black is a very close match for piano black. Maybe slightly darker if you look really closely.
Alcantara boots just came in.
this project turned out pretty gud

non-broken necks edition

Seeing this today. Looking solid?

$5k
120k miles

What engine? What transmission? Does it have service records?

Ask for service records. Common weak points are cooling system (expansion tank, water pump, hoses), front control arm bushings, subframe cracks, VANOS seals, disa valve, and valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket often fail.

Pic is my 330ci having evaporator being replaced.

2.5 6-cyl.
Automatic.
Carfax on hand.

>automatic
I need you to understand that I'm not memeing you right now, don't do it. Wait until a decent manual one shows up in your area.

But I don't want a manual. Is there another factor besides personal preference that would push me fit rust option? I've been driving a manual for the past 4 years I'm pretty sick of it for around here.

E36 fag here. If you don't want a manual, then you don't want a BMW. The earlier autos like to shit themselves around 150k.

And the newer ones just haven't gotten there yet.

turned out looking great user!

good job

the GM A5S360R transmissions aren't too bad honestly, same with the ZF automatic equivalent. The steptronic shifting is a little slow, but they do their job.

the problem is that BMW claimed the ATF in them was "lifetime", so people didn't change it and therefore slowly killing the transmission and filter.

is that
topazblue?

mynigga

""""""""german""""""""" engineering

This car just won't give up, I haven't had a problem with it in 20k miles

still running strong even after 9 owners, a flood, and countless other problems that have been fixed. M20 da bes. Only big problem I'm having now is turning the key and nothing happens for a solid 15-30 seconds, then cranks over fine. Maybe alarm system ?

It's fun to drive around with no interior, but I think I'm ready to patch the floor and get it back together.

Anyone here done any interior light mods? All the cigarette tray lights and the old dome lights are either broken or bad. Figure I might try before interior goes back. I was thinking just putting some small lights for the foot wells so it's not so dark getting in at night.

I'll ask here because why the hell not, it's a Bimmer.
>1981 E21
>try to start car less than hour after getting home from work
>starter won't turn at all, but lights and warning buzzer work
>gave it a jump and drove around for about 15 min last night
>started up just fine this morning

After starting it last night, I tried revving the engine and didn't notice any difference in the headlights, so hopefully not an alternator problem. But why did this happen?

Why does bmw have to make such pretty but shitty cars???? Why can't Toyota make a car that looks this simple and aesthetically pleasing?

Postin my bimmer

>????
Confirmed either a 16 year old girl or actually retarded (same thing). Calling the E46 shitty also further proves this point.

Misaligned hood.

Fender scratched and also misaligned.

Covers missing.

And you're proud of showing shit like that?

That looks like shit.

I didn't pick the E46 on purpose, I just typed in 2000 bmw on google and came back with the nicest looking one. Bmw reliability is shit, they may make some nice cars but the inner Jew inside me couldn't pull the trigger on one

looks like we got an angry poster on the loose

>m3 cabrio

Such a pretty car, but i always steer away from those becaus i haven't seen a single one that wasn't SMG.

How does it drive with the top down? Is it really unstable compared to the normal M3?

I'd love to own one in manual.

You need to fix the area where that front plate used to be, i can still see the marks, same with the foglight mesh.

its very likely the alternator/voltate regulator or maybe your battery terminals are fucked up.

you can have your alternator rebuilt for like 80$, why don't you go get that checked out?

did the driver survive?

Tfw no sweet Turkmobile
Why even live?

no reason for you to live

kill yourself

Yeah, unfortunately it is the smg, so im used to getting flak for that. Never driven the coupe, so I cant compare but I havent noticed any weird handling quirks.

Im getting the front bumper replaced, so thats good.

I would love to own a laguna seca blue vert with the cinnamon interior. Such a striking combination

a guy in my local bmw club has an m6

is fucking sweet.

Shittt, tfw no super rare manual M6
Also currently have a boner for F10 M5s

They're real pretty aswell, especially in alpineweiss.

I'd take an e60 m5 over it any day though, that exhaust sound.

>BMW reliability is shit
False.

>dfw car can't even go 200 miles without another problem

Gonna trade muh E36 autotragic for a Turbo Ranger. Should I?

>BMW reliability is shit

allow me translate this

>I don't perform preventative maintenance at all, or pay a tech to perform any
>I'm not educated about recommended PM items for my model which are thoroughly documented online and for which many companies sell cheap DIY kits
>I hold my car to a higher standard of luxury and quality but am not willing to take any responsibility for maintaining it in good working order
>I have to pay someone 100 shekels an hour on top of retail price on OEM parts to fix my car, so I pinch my pennies for years until the neglected maintenance items compound into a costly failure, thus requiring me to pay even more loadsamone

Nearly every I6 BMW ever made can truck right along to 300k miles and beyond with nothing but the bare minimum of scheduled maintenance. the catch is that the bare minimum of scheduled maintenance actually needs to be performed and I know 90% of owners never have and never will lay eyes on their car's recommended maintenance schedule

>all kinds of dash lights are going on holy shit
>a quick glance at the log will show 15 years and 150k miles worth of small items that were never performed
>almost every single one of them is visible when you open the hood, no crazy greasemonkey surgery required

people who buy new just ride the warranty and completely forget about maintenance when they have to start putting any effort into it. most people who buy used buy really shitty highly abused examples from niggers and soccer moms and wonder why they have a CEL

feel free to list some plastic parts that start leaking after 120k miles if you want, I say if replacing a $50 gasket once every 10 years is 'high maintenance' or 'unreliable' to you then you don't really have any business owning anything other than disposable hondas for the rest of your life

post your car and your problems

i don't know user

they're completely different cars

do you need a truck?

>"preventative maintenance"
>just fix it before it breaks and it can't break!
ONLY BMW owners can come up with shit that retarded and actually believe it

name a car that you can drive to 100k without doing anything but oil changes and gas fills that won't develop any leaks or rattles

or just stop posting here altogether

very epic strong trolling here

everyone take a good long look for we will not see posting of this caliber for at least another 60 seconds

whats with all the shitposting? im sure its just 1 angry dude whose passed down bmw overheated because he couldnt afford to overhaul the cooling system.

go back to the honda general, man

let us enjoy our autobahn cruisers in peace

It is nice and shiny.

do you add grain and filters to all your pictures with software, or do you actually use an analog dslr?

That was actually taken on my phone, and I did use VSCO App to colour it but I didn't apply any grain to that photo specifically. If I edit on my desktop most ACR/LR VSCO presets have grain in them as they emulate actual film stock, but the mobile application is more about your general CC than emulating a film stock. Also I have a Canon 70D and a Minolta Maxxum 5 but I no longer have access to a development lab for the latter.

yeah but he was crushed he lost his bmw

have you guys ever seen a car with a wrap or dip that looked as good as paint?

my paint is in really shit condition, worst swirls you've ever seen, pitting on the front from gravel, pitting on the bumper from gravel, scratches, who knows how much clear coat could even possibly still be on there since wax and polishing compound don't do a god damn thing

I just want to cover it all up, not worth the effort to restore the factory paint

The largest dip job I've done was on my friend's Element on the plastic panels that were fading. Honestly it came out good with that vehicle.

But then for the alloys, they were done too thin and they looked bad. Meanwhile, on my old M-Contours I did them in black and to a proper thickness and they looked well matching to the black trim on the car.

Then there is the glossifer bit. I'm not sure that I ever properly applied it or used enough of it, but it definitely did not do a whole not, nothing like thr sheen of paint.

It isn't your miracle pit and dent removal system like some Bondo product, uneven surfaces will make themselves known still.
So yes, don't go cheap. Do a few layers, but also do not spray too much at a time else it makes these gloopy runs.

So what is your exact vehicle? I can tell you if dip will make it look better or worse.

E92 328i coupes

Anyone have an exp with them? Living in the GTA area, most are 328xi and were former sweet sixteen gifts so I'm immensely vary of them but I'm willing to go after a nice 328i.

Any specific model year to look for? Budget is around $12k CAN and coming from a manual g35, id prefer to go with an auto this time around.

Avoid AWD bmws.

compound will remove swirls and scratches on paint even when there is no clear coat. That's why you can still polish single stage paint.

My piece of shit.

TALK ME OUT OF IT BROS. TALK ME OUT OF IT. I'M ABOUT TO DRIVE 500 MILES TO GET THIS THING. OH GOD. ITS SO CLEEAAAN.

Calling 335i Owners, IS THIS WORTH IT. ITS A MANUAL. A FUCKING 335I MANUAL 1 OWNER NO ACCIDENTS NAV IN PURRPPPLLLEEEE.

Well for all we know it is free or a million dollars so sure why not. Looks clean yes, very base looking wheels, decent colour but clashes with the amber horribly.

Let's see, it's at a buy here pay here so you are not only going to overpay, but also get completely fucked on financing (you are obviously financing or you wouldn't be looking at low end dealerships). You don't know anything about cars (as evidenced by you wanting to buy an E92 335), so you won't be able to identify any problems, and you are already in puppy love with the picture so you'll buy it no matter what anyone says. Sounds pretty standard for a BMW thread purchase, go for it user.

Beautiful color. Do it.

nice m roady user

is it an s52?

suddenly everyone has z3's in Veeky Forums

Nice try, you faggot.

They're asking $19,000. It's a bit high, but below value a tad. And considering it's a 1 owner with 61k miles and a 6 speed, I can see where they're coming from. I'm justifying whether or not it's worth the drive, the price, and the extreme inconvenience with my job...and I'm trying hard to determine how much the interior color bothers me.

I know, m8....hnnnnggg

Personally i'm not a fan of beige interiors, but that outside color is really nice, same with the choice of wheels.

I say go for it!

Nice try what? Why don't you refute something in my post?

>They're asking $19,000. It's a bit high, but below value a tad.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA
you are beyond hope, never mind

>drive my old 1995 bmw
>hate it because it doesn't feel nice like the newer bmws
>drive my friend's 2014 bmw
>hate it because it doesn't feel like my old shitbox that i'm used to

e92 335i is a great car you idiot

thats what the car is worth about poorboy.

new front struts, rear shocks, suspension & steering bushings.

Pretty cheap to do.

Man, I might try. I'm gonna go talk to my used car manager and see what he thinks. It's right under full retail NADA value, which is fine. But with doc fee, tax, it'll be close to 20g. I could do that no sweat, but I wouldn't really want to.

That color...that 6MT...oooooooooooh boy it's gonna be interesting.

Check these guys out, they have some good quality wrap stuff

530i M Sport. Love it.

I wish I still had my e36. I couldn't keep up with the maintenance anymore so I had to sell it. I kept the VIN to track it down one day though

>vert
you did the right thing

It's true. I'm buying a 01 m3 with manual box any suggestion? Owner seems to maintain the car but not too crazy about taking care of it. Got a MIL light on. Should I go for it?

>gee, it looks like everybody says this car pretty consistently needs a fuel pump around 125k. maybe I should change it before then so it doesn't leave me on the side of the road
>maybe I should change my fuel filter at the recommended interval too so it doesn't kill the fuel pump
It's not that tucking hard.

>from a dealer
>probably no service records
-AVOID-

I need this meme to die so it stops wasting post limits

My dank s54 facelift coupe

Currently running a square setup, so narrow rears (225). Might put on some 5mm spacers later.

>tfw no e31 840ci

You swapped an s54 into a normal 3 series?

where are your quad exhausts?

and did you have any problems with ews upon doing the swap?

I see you lurkin senpai

protip the M3 quad exhaust is just a dual exhaust into a muffler with 4 tips

Pigfat comfy daily. Needs a tow hitch.

>pulling a lawnmower
>in shorts

yeah, not yours

your dad has a good taste though, contrary to everyone on Veeky Forums i actually like the X6, its so weird its good.

I had one as a loaner for a day... It's like a retarded friend that you love

I don't like the X6 much but at least it's honest about being a big fat car

meanwhile GM, ford, etc. just puts their econobox motors in gimped """""""SUV""""""" chassis for women to feel """"""safe""""" in

The quad-pipes are currently sitting in my cellar as I cba to cut out the spare wheel well and fit a new rear bumper. It's only 2 pipes in anyway, so the exhaust flow is pretty much like original.

Swapped an entire rhd m3 into the chassis, wiring and all, except for the exterior panels and some interior, so the ews doesn't really know.

There was a minor conflict between the facelift steering wheel and the radio though, the volume and answer phone-buttons on the wheel doesn't work. Might be a programming issue, but I don't care enough to look into it.

Yeah because GM realizes their buyers don't buy cars to impress Tyrone so he will fuck their wife

Please hold for the next available personal attention representative, your shitpost is very important to us.

muh 5spd e46 rwd wagon

here's a pos m6 that won't leave muh hoist.

fuck you and you're m52 swap, nick

I really can't tell you much without knowing anything about the car

the best thing you can do for yourself is to read pelicanparts for some detailed write-ups to get a feel for what the most common and important maintenance items are and do a deep inspection if you go to buy it

just to name some things off the top of my head, put some gloves on, take a jack and stands with you, and carry a good flashlight to look for

>ANY fluid leaks ANYWHERE on the car
look at the diff, the transmission, the valve cover, the oil filter housing, the oil pan, every accessory fluid reservoir
>any cracking or warping in the rear subframe
the M3 is reinforced from the factory but retards dumping the clutch can find a way to break anything
>ANY play at all in the wheels
hold the wheel at 9&3, wiggle it hard. hold it at 12&6, wiggle it hard. should be solid all the way around
>rust anywhere at all
water ingress melts your car from the inside out, deeply inspect the wheel wells, underbody, and open the trunk and take the weather stripping off to check for rust or water
>condition of sensor lines, brake lines, fuel pump, vacuum lines, axle boots, intake boots

get a scan for any OBD indicators, demand carfax and every shred of any receipts or logs for service and repair. if its history isn't well documented I consider a car to be neglected by default. especially an M3 which fuqbois love to drive into the ground. if there's a tick in the engine, minor belt squeal, vibration in the steering or clutch pedal I can think of a few particular issues that are difficult to diagnose but ez to fix. this works in your favor when the seller can't figure it out, doesn't want to waste more money on his failure, and just wants the shitbox out of his retarded hair

thats a picture of a z4, user

>5spd
cuckold

1981 E21, yesterday happened to me
>odo and trip calculator often get stuck
>have no idea what the fuel economy is but it seems to be around 15 mpg
>uneven idle, and must be set 1000 or above or else will stall
>below 1000 = engine MUST be revved constantly, otherwise will stall, even between changing gears (at least until the engine warms up)
>AC not working, center instrument panel is loose so dials don't even stay in place
>heater also kaputz
>only one speaker works
>sunroof gets stuck upon retracting unless I am pushing up on a corner
>windshield seals not sealed, water getting in glove compartment

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

It's mine, as is the z06 behind it. I was moving the cars in and out of the garage to wash them. I do mow my lawn in shorts though.

It's just a lifted 5-series. Rides a bit better/quieter. Having AWD is nice too. Surprisingly fun to drive.

>30+ year old car, letalone a bmw
>not working perfectly fine

your point is?

if you like the car enough to justify fixing it, do so and enjoy your hard work.

otherwise, get a civic and sell it to someone who will have a great time tinkering with it and fixing it.

so it's probably fair to assume you don't have 35 years worth of service records to show

and I assume you haven't measured cylinder compression, had your alternator rebuilt, cycled plugs and coils, refreshed aircon, performed valve or timing adjustments, inspected fuel delivery system, cleaned exhaust and idle air control valves, cleaned your throttle body, or recently flushed transmission fluid so that's a place for you to start

knobs falling off is decades of hard wear I can't help you with

What the other guy said, plus check for cracks around the rear shock mounts (RSMs), and play in the cooling fan. It's supposed to be tight with no play, unless the water pump bearings are worn.

also probably worth adding that my E46 325's suspension is completely kill, I would pretty much expect to have to do an overhaul on an M3 too

I do, but I'm currently not in an ideal situation for it. Long story short if I want to fix it I'll have to do it in secret.
The original owner obviously parked this lovely machine under the sun and left it for 33 years, sold it to another guy who also didn't care, then yours truly bought it

Thanks for the suggestions user, will try my best.

don't give up on her user

the more you work on her, the closer your bond with the car will be, and you wont hesitate to fix it up.

As the other guy said, do a basic service and inspect your suspension components, after that start fixing the things that need the most work.

like your alternator.

Happened to mine too, exactly like that, twice on both sides. Got some new struts and they've been fine since.