/4xg/ - Stellaris and 4X Games General

Petra Edition

>Stellaris OP
pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Stellaris Mod Archive
mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg

>What is stellaris?
A 4x game developed by paradox development studios.

>Stellaris Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgstellaris

>/civ4xg/ OP:
pastebin.com/P5XCTQx9

>Recommended mods for Civilization V
pastebin.com/5ANRmRur

>More info on Civ VI:
pcgamer.com/civilization-6-everything-you-need-to-know/
ign.com/articles/2016/05/11/three-ways-sid-meiers-civilization-6-radically-reinvents-itself-city-building-science-and-diplomacy
gamespot.com/articles/civilization-6-revealed-brings-major-changes/1100-6439691/
well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html

Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rcjpags7JT8
moddb.com/mods/starwars-frontlinesthe-galactic-civil-war
games2gether.com/endless-space-2/blog/463-early-access-incoming-new-faction-reveals
wiki.endless-space.com/factions/lumeris
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for 1 turned petra

It amazes me how Firaxis still hasn't figured out how to have improvements or wonders that create indentations in the map terrain. Quarries and Petra are still above ground!

tall: few cities with high population and basically every building you can get
wide: the opposite, many small cities with only essential buildings AKA happiness and gold producing ones (you can however branch out after building those and build whatever you want as long as you have the cash)

I still don't have any idea why Petra gives food or production

i think the idea that it is a trading hub allows the locals to import food or something

Literally no reason to go wide in 5 desu. You never build more than 4-6 cities anyway because you simply dont need more.

Have those fucks still got the second dev video taken down because of the leaks even though everyone has already seen it?

Still gets me every time.

Total War Attila.

Still love Master of magic. Favorite 4x game

not really, you can get pretty good map/resource control though and its pretty refreshing if you've played tall long enough.

Genuinely hyped for VI now despite the absolute memery of the leader and civ reveals, mods can fix that shite. The base mechanics and general aesthetics are looking very nice, I've got that mad hope that this will actually ship as a relatively stable and complete base package.

Is this an actual line from the game?
I've played >100 hrs and never seen this, or maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Yeah, IIRC all non-dlc civs have unique lines like that. Egypt's was something wonder related, Arabia mentions God, etc

absolute madman

>R&I removes a mod from the /gsg/ Archive outright after it's mentioned the creator is in some discord group
Nah fuck this.

I can't wait to play it after 2 expansions.

They said every feature in Civ V+its expansions would be in the base game desu, it can't be that bad

>They said every feature in Civ V+its expansions would be in the base game

youtube.com/watch?v=rcjpags7JT8

Your research and social policy gets destroyed because every city makes them more expensive and you never need more than a dozen units anyway.

only if you play it >umodded

Outright lying sounds pretty fucking stupid. Look what happened to NMS.

It earned a fuckload of money?

Do you think it'll blow over so well? Look what happened to Rome 2 -> Attila, Attila is generally considered one of the best games in the series but sold like piss compared to Rome 2.

But we've seen the features.

another example is DMC 2 -> 3 -> 4. 2 is considered to be the worst in the series, and as a result, 3 sold like ripe ass. In turn, 3 is considered the best in the series, so 4 sold more than any of the other games

Herein lies the problem with NMS.
It sold entirely upfront, but was such a letdown after the fact that further sales will nearly halt until significant improvements are made and the price gets cut.

By comparison had they adopted a more conservative strategy sure the upfront sales would have been less, but it wouldn't have alienated and polarized the fanbase to such a point that people are saying "don't buy it."

Every Civ series sells well. the only way they can fuck it up is if they indulge in too much politically correct leader pandering, or if they shit all over the long standing fanbase.

Hitler when?

what is wrong with NMS? I've only heard it was a travesty and not why it was a travesty

It's this decade's Spore.

That's exactly what happened to Rome 2 -> Attila.

that bad?

Damn you reminded me of DMC again, I used to love these games years ago. I want to play them again now

Seems so.
If not worse, the creators in Spore were pretty fun.

The devs outright lied about features and are still lying about it now so yeah.

That'd be because the Nabataeans were masters of water management and the whole place is filled with intricate troughs for water.

Who here /cantstoptrollinggsg/

Do they sperg out if you talk about Civ or something?

DMC = Delicious Male Chest?

Screenshot from >>>/reddit/
Basically lead developer says all this shit is in the game and you can do this
Never corrects people who say the game is something it isn't, increasing the hype
When the game finally releases not only is none of what he said was in the game, in the game, but it was an unoptimized unstable piece of shit being sold for a full AAA price.

The drones say the players hyped it up. But as someone who only took his statements at face value, ignored external hype, and fully expected only a subnautica without base building in space, I was even disappointed by the release state.

It even turns out the planets he showcased were not procedurally generated as he said but handcrafted specifically for the demos.

The travesty about it was that he was given marching orders from sony to hype it to no end and forced them to sell it for $60. If it was released as an early access title for $20 the reception would have been a complete 180, a promising indie game that just needs further development.

No they're spazzing out because HPM / R&I / Archivelad has started deleting mods he doesn't like from their public archive.

>autistic wiki mods

every time

He's not a wiki mod, he's a lot worse. Just pop your head in for a few days but be careful not to lose it

It's not just a wiki, user, it's an archive of files the community has built up and used for almost 5 years now. Which, suddenly, some autistic megalomaniac named HPM thinks he owns the rights to delete shit from on a whim

Basically it's like if the OP of /4xg/ was taken over by a modder and he then used that OP position to spread only his mod and then slowly work other modders out of the community via ostracization and false flagging.

t. /gsg/ scholar

what does devs gain from lying and then autisticly claim they are right when everything points toward them being wrong?
Is there some really good reason not obvious from an outsiders perspective?

Is anyone here still interested in this fucking game?

I'm thinking of trying to rally the steam group to play another MP game

>autistically claim
>autistic
>autism
Well.

In this case I'm certain it was entirely Sony's marching order, so Sony just caring about initial sales and not giving a shit about the long term health of the game.

If you watch the videos you can kind of tell Sean was losing it near the end, but sony probably made him sign a contract telling him he had to hype it and couldn't do anything that would reduce the hype, until a few days before the PS4 launch when he tweeted IT'S NOT A MULTIPLAYER GAME, again probably sony's order to avoid false advertising claims.

The collectors edition literally had a sticker covering up the rating and "on-line" box with "single player"

>Quarries and Petra are still above ground!
And Pyramids and Stonehenge are in the water! I know most people hated this but I kinda liked it, it's sad it will be gone in Civ VI

Nah, needs to be not boring after the early game.

Like I can't even get to destroyers anymore just because of how boring it is and how the 4x and grand strat elements don't mesh at all

>>If you watch the videos you can kind of tell Sean was losing it near the end
Big business was a mistake

>The collectors edition literally had a sticker covering up the rating and "on-line" box with "single player"

wew.lad

I bet /v/ is having a field day

They already did and this time they're totally justified.

It's died down, people have mostly come to terms with it being shit. It's remarkably not fun to shit on a game you wanted to be good when the drones defending it have given up because of the concrete evidence pointing out the lies.

All that's left is to have what fun you can by collecting cute ships.

When I read how many planets its going to have (is it 2^64), I realized it won't be any good. What's the point in static seed, why is it even a thing? And it also means no changes would stay because no computer could have enough memory

Give me a planet generator that would give me 10 planets, but each interactive and well-simulated.

The irony is it's not the planets that are the problem. In fact for the most part, the planets are all pretty decent.

If they could tweak the generation so that structures dont generate in weird places like off the ground, the planets would actually be one of the better parts of the game.

I didn't look into NMS, but I can appreciate random generation that would create fun collisions. But to be fun, simulation is needed.

Right now I've got the impression that only fun thing to have is to look for phallic objects.

Da fuck is NMS?

Reminds me of Starbound.

That's because it failed to deliver on literally every facet.

>Da fuck is NMS?

no mans sky

I am, but only for RP reason. I no longer enjoy playing it. And that's sad.

Ha. So it flopped that hard? I heard rumours, didn't think it was that awful.

Flopped is a relative term here.
It made mad dosh because of the hype, but won't be bought again until significant price drops and the bad shit gets fixed.

it didnt flop money wise. it made a shitload. 210k steam players on the first day. but now its down to 40k as a daily peak. literally the division 2 in terms of player hype. so much for a game you can play forever

I wasn't really talking about money, but it only makes it even worse.
There should be laws against using old footage to advertise a game. Starbound did something similar by using ressources that weren't in the game to advertise it.

MORE LIKE NO MAN BUY

NYUK NYUK NYUK

>Kumo Desu ga, Nani Ka? updated
Hell yeah, praise the cutest spider!

Content-wise, what said / linked. In short, it's a one-trick pony and once you've seen it's shallow repertoire it has nothing to offer. What hasn't been touched in-depth is the tons of performance / instability issues that plagued the game's launch.

Not only the PC "port" is unacceptable when it comes to general quality and atrocious performance-wise, the the game tend to crash on PS4 too. Meanwhile it looks like an early-2k title at best. Hell, they even managed to ship the game without working AA!

But that's just the tip of the iceberg - do you see this FPS numbers? Let's overlook that judging by the visuals, they should be the double w/ decent optimisation. But the fact that SLI configures perform the same (!) or (like FuryX) worse (!!) than one-card counterparts ...

Let it sink for a while: sub-par FPS values and stuttering / crashing issues even on high-end cards, and occasionally negative performance "gain" with two of them. Not to mention frametime performance reviews, which also proved that the game is simply a trainwreck.

Not that surprisingly, the devs even lied in the official system reqs: the minimum VGA only supports OpenGL 4.2, meanwhile it turned out you need 4.5 to be able to run it ... Same goes for CPUs not supporting SSE4.x by default, you can't even start the game on them.

Gaming industry 1×1: AAA devs are not making games for the players but the stakeholders / owners. He who pays the piper calls the tune. Don't get me wrong, NMS in it's current state would have failed horribly even if a $20 indie title - but that wouldn't have caused such shitstorm.

Sony is the biggest winner here: they only provided marketing in exchange for switching to PS4. Since they didn't intervene in the development, their hands are clean. Sean must have had his ass raped by the Suit&Tie Department (see), then he did the same with customers.

So, any good game taking place in space? Freelancer doesn't really run on recent PC, the X games are too complex, and Rebel Galaxy is kinda fun but too shallow.

>the X games

oh wow, thanks for reminding me those exist. I tried to learn them a while back but I didn't understand when it actually became /fun/. Especially since you can put your freighter on autopilot and have it trade for you.

I tried them once. I found a lucrative trade route, made some money, and then suddenly the prices changed and I lost money.

>The collectors edition literally had a sticker covering up the rating and "on-line" box with "single player"

I edited this like a week ago (from user's pics). You know what's funny? Two streamer actually found each other right after the release, which obviously had an incredibly small chance. And (surprise!) they didn't see each other. At all. What Sean said to this? Server error. Congratz.

It's no coincidence NSM was so hyped and Star Citizen got tons of financial support: there's a gap in the market and seems like nobody can fill it correctly. Even Elite Dangerous kind of failed. I'm afraid you have to wait and see how Star Citizen turns out.

Yeah, screw that. I'll keep playing Rebel Galaxy. It's meh but it's fun.
Or I can play Recettear, it also has trading.

>tfw Freelancer 2 never ever
Any specific genre you want?
Space Pirates and Zombies is pretty decent and the second game is looking pretty good so far
Also Master of Orion, Star Ruler 2, Sword of the Stars and Endless Space to name some strategy games in space

SPAZ is fun but a little repetitive, and it quickly boils down to "spam the same ships until you win". Strategy is too limited and there are no enough choices in weapons.

>Master of Orion, Star Ruler 2, Sword of the Stars and Endless Space
Tried these, They meh for various reasons.

The last space game I had fun with was Sins of a Solar Empire, and even then it was only briefly.
Once you realise the game is "throw your fleet at the enemy fleet and that's it", it loses its lustre.
Sweet graphics tho.

I can't stand that game for a very dumb reason : the right click move the map around and there's no button to reset it.

Have you tried any of the older stuff like Wing Commander or Star Control?
There are also people making a Star Wars mod for Company of Heroes but thats really far fetching

I'm on my second game, and I must say after the first you've really seen it all. This just feels like a repetition.
However playing with two main species, one with ocean preference (crab-like molluscoids) and one with desert (foxes) preference really makes colonization easier.

Is that the Red Sun?

>Star Wars mod for Company of Heroes

sounds cool, link?

Also since this is the RTS general, why did empire at war need to be so lackluster in it's ground battles?

Because they tried to have both space battles and ground battles.

As a result, they both are shits. Just get Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds.

>sounds cool, link?
moddb.com/mods/starwars-frontlinesthe-galactic-civil-war
Its sadly still in the making but hoping they break the stale atmosphere of the other mods

I don't know why, but each time I see a stormtooper, I want to reinstall Battlegrounds and shot some rebel scum in the face.

Shit taste detected, the space battles are good.

Epic argument, kiddo. You sure convinced me with your opinion.
Rebbit called, they want you back.

Can't wait until India is revealed.

Bets on Ghandi still wanting to bathe the world in nuclear fire?

Of course he will

That game was quality. Buildings had a bit too much HP but apart from that it was incredible.

I'm talking about the old battlegrounds game.

So this general accepted rts games now, doing the campaign's in aoe 2.

the star wars mod for SoaSE makes for some pretty ebin spacebattles if played vs a friend

We did it a while ago while we were dying.

GET HYPE
ES2 happening in September, just annoucned at Gamescom

games2gether.com/endless-space-2/blog/463-early-access-incoming-new-faction-reveals

>early access
so basically, just like stellaris. buy in and get disappointed, or wait for a year for a complete-ish game.

Early access will be barebones like Stellaris and the other Amplitude launches. Unlike Paradox, Amplitude will add much more content much faster and make a fun game that does not require you selling your firstborn into slavery to get all the content.

New major faction revealed:
TL:DR happy merchants IN SPESS

>The Lumeris are a society that revolves around trade, economic deals, economic growth, and doing business. Expansion and acquisition are the bywords of their culture, and as an amphibious people they are prepared to make money in any environment. Their society is organized around a series of families that have traditionally run different parts of their economy, and the balance of power and negotiations between the families is what drives progress - or blocks it.

wiki.endless-space.com/factions/lumeris

>early-access
All interest dropped.