Post factory options that are completely pointless

Post factory options that are completely pointless.

Inb4 manual transmission

But they aren't pointless. They're cheaper to manufacture and rebuild, thus making a new car with a manual cheaper. They're also more fuel efficient.

automatic headlight and wipers

but it looks bretty gool

And so cheap to replace!

Oh wow!! 40% off!!

Holy shit what a deal! You better snatch those up!!!!

Sadly this. As much as I love having both of those features the headlight assemblies for new cars with light sensors cost an outrageous amount to replace, so if you get in an accident that compromises a light have fun replacing that shit.

Now I can finally clear away that pesky clear liquid that completely impairs my ability to see the road!

Electric windows. They're only useful if you're 85 years old and very weak, otherwise I don't see the point.

>motorized tailgates that open when you swipe your foot under the rear bumper but it doesn't work 9 out of 10 times and you're forced to do a one footed ballet with your hands full, and putting down your cargo or getting your car keys in your hand before loading your arms full of crap would've probably been easier

Or autistic. I like to have the windows on both sides of the car down the same distance which is impossible to achieve mid-drive with crank windows, and when you lower your windows before the drive and then it starts raining you're fucked if you have crank windows and no passenger.

Yeah, I definitely love having to lean over the center console and passenger seat to roll a window down

>motorized soft close trunk/hatch/door closures

their mechanical counterparts can actually last generations

properly aligned doors practically fall shut

>hey, how can we make sunroofs worse? More leak prone, more of a hassle to use, more detrimental to the structure of the car
>how about we cut 3/4 of the roof out and make it removable?
>brilliant!

To be fair I'm pretty sure these were made for snowy climates. Then headlight and mirror defrosters became a thing.

>tire pressure sensors that fuck up and show constant errors if you change the wheels yourself and don't get the electronic diddly-hoos readjusted or reset in the shop

>they're not an option, but mandatory on new cars since last year

Sometimes I roll down the passenger window while driving

>aftermarket t top

Most new cars get better MPG with an automatic, BRZ being an obvious one.

a lot of hate directed toward you, so i'll defend.

autistic who needs things exactly the same, can't plan based on weather.
i can't do anything about my windows until i'm driving?

if it's pointless why the fuck are you looking in to replacing it

>>aftermarket t top
If they offered a factory t-top I'd buy one right now. I loved the ones on my 3rd gen.

The side steps on small SUVs like my Escape. I think they are an expeensive option too

Thanks. That was half bait half shitpost though.
I honestly can see how electric windows are convenient.

That's because BRZs are babbies first car

I'm not you fucking dolt. I'm pointing out that it's a pointless feature that costs 230 bucks to replace when it inevitably fails

I know, I Inb4ed it because I knew some moron who can't drive standard would post it. Do you people even Inb4?

More than 2 doors

"moon" rooves

>yfw you don't have to go to a shop to get the tpms light turned off

Digital dash.

The new "yeah just replace all the HVAC and radio controls with a touch-pad" craze.

You don't have an option to do this in the car menu? I know VAG uses the ABS sensors for detecting tire pressure changes, and it can be adjusted in the CAR section of the infotainment.

"""Sport Package""" on shitboxes. Look at corolla s. Rice from factory

They're not more efficient anymore.
Auto, DCT, and CVT are all more efficient.
As much as I love myself a good manuél trans, they are lagging in efficiency.

Its the opposite, actually. In the early 70s, the NHTSA was thinking about cracking down on noodley convertibles, and mandating higher chassis stiffness, so automakers had to look for a better alternative than a convertible. That's where the popularity of targa, T-Tops, and sunroofs boomed.

airbags: a device that punches you in the face for crashing...
lada has them so not that expensive

air conditioning: a device that uses more petrol (diesel) because you are too lazy to open a widow.

any convertable that doesnt have a hard top option
or any roof that has litlle lights in it so it makes you look like you are looking at the night sky

I really, really liked the looks of Cadillac's all touch dashboards but after actually using one I can say it's pure fucking cancer and a pain in the ass to use. Lincoln's dash mounted transmission buttons are also awkward and unnatural to use. Nothing wrong with them at all, they just "feel" alien.to use.

Forgot my image, but this shit right here is unresponsive as hell. We have cell phones that are crazy responsive yet this is the shit you'll find in a car you paid 30 thousand for?

aston marton lagonda. was the first car with touch pad controls and most of them dont work. will cost a small fortune just in repairs to make them work

>Those volume buttons

Absolutely FUCKING DISGUSTING.

why do car manufacturers think i want my car to be a wifi hotspot? i dont need to post to facebook while im driving. all i want is to have my usb connectivity and thats it.

>Following another car on a dirt road at night
>Car ahead of you throws dust all over your headlights causing their output to dim
>Wash lights off without stopping

>Driving during snowstorm
>Snow cakes your headlights alloing no light to pass though
>Turn on wipers
>Wipes off the snow but theres ice underneath
>Turn on sprayer and wipers
>Ice is melted and you can see again

In all of my 15 years of driving, some of them in pretty bad winters, I can safely say Iv never had problems with snow on my headlights at night. If I did, I wiped it off before leaving and never even remembered because it wasn't an issue.

also, why you tailgating cars on dirt roads at night in your Mercedes?

Looks like we triggered this manual fag who has to defend his purchase of a manual econobox and hates his decision every day when he has to drive a manual in traffic.

have you seen the lincoln navigator? their side steps have motors. talking about expensive features

In all my less than 15 years of driving I've had plenty of instances where snow accumulates on the headlight lens as I'm driving so wiping it off before I leave only helps for 5 mins. Shit on my way to moab my jeep headlights would get caked in ice so fast that I had to gwet out and wipe them off every 5 mins to see. And if ou have LED bulbs theres no heat to melt snow or ice so then you're fucked even if the snow isn't sticky.

They're usually super easy to "rebuild" (aka clean) yourself if you're not a complete retard.

My mom got a new Explorer with the Ford touchscreen shit
It's actually not as bad as most I've used, but it just makes it more annoying to do the most basic shit
I shouldn't have to navigate through 3 menus just to change the radio station

Apparently you do not live somewhere with salted roads during the winter

Its a Cadillac of course its disgusting.

Waiting 10 seconds for those bastard's to open when I could have done it myself in 2

Never understood why people prefer salted roads over just using fucking snow tires.

weird, i have full led lightbars on my raptor and ive never had any problems with them getting caked up or blocked in the snow, wet or dry. i know youre not supposed to use like a heater inside your car to try to melt ice on your windshield, maybe the temp of the bulb is actually detrimental? my lightbars aren't straight and flat against oncoming air though, they're set at an angle and the LED bulbs inside are angled as well, maybe that makes a big difference?

im definitely one of those more dollars than sense kinds of people when it comes to things like that though. i only have personal experience to rely on in this case. i live on the lee side of a mountain overlookin a big bay in alaska and we get all kinds of absolutely crazy snow here

Imagine what it would be like with voice controls.
>"Car, change the radio station to preset 5"
>"Are you sure you want to shut off the engine?"

Any reason why you didnt get an actual truck?

>"Car, give me full power for more than lap!"
>"Overheating mode enabled!"

DAMN YOU GM!

Technically speaking, standard transmissions hold the benchmark for power efficiency (ignoring CVT's). DCT's are essentially automated manual transmissions with two clutches, so to say that standard transmissions aren't efficient would be a contradiction in itself.

Conventional automatics with torque converters inherently suffer worse parasitic loss, however they mitigate this by adding 6+ gear ratios and smarter TCU's, sensors, and throttle mapping to make up for their shortcomings.

The state pays to salt the roads, therefore I have no option.
Snow tires are a lot of money as well.

When I visited NY a while ago. Any van with a sliding door made after 2012 had sliding door motors.

I thought it was cool at first but when you are hopping in and out of the van it feels like you are waiting a long time. It got old real quick and I yearned for a manual door because according to various owners and rental companies manually opening the door will damage the motor.

The automatic rear door too. Why.

My parents paid nearly 600 for ONE BMW headlight washer installed at a dealer ~5 years ago after it snapped off

You're frame rotting in half can also be quite costly. I've never understood why people don't just buy an old awd shitbox and throw some nice snow tires on it to drive in winter months in the rust belt. Then again I've only seen snow 3 times in the past 2 years. Feels great man

Lol I would either leave it or remove the other one and blank them out. Sell the good one

Don't forget flex lockup pretty much all manufacturers are locking up the torque converter while you are maintaining speed

They're either for teenagers trying to not look like a complete faggot driving a corolla or mid-aged men because thats the most sporty car he can get since his wife wont allow him a sports car because of muh children.

When your truck frame rots out its not a big deal, but when your Subaru rots out your driving a Flintstones car in the snow

People do do that, except they have a nice sporty car for the summers and drive around a Camry the rest of the year. I for one drive an old WRX with some blizzaks on it during the winters

So who's the Sienna SE for?

My 1993 escudo has lockup on overdrive and lock up on direct drive (when you have over drive off)

Many automatics that were developed in the early 90's have lockup so it is not a new thing

>air conditioning: a device that uses more petrol (diesel) because you are too lazy to open a widow.
you must live someplace with no sun
even here in washington it's stupid hot during the summer, and my car gets such bad mpg that a/c doesn't really make a impact

those are pointless with modern SUV's being so low to the ground in the first place

And they have the lights and shit. Just something else to break right outside of warranty.

Exactly my point. I'm pretty sure they are just there for looks. Plus they are positioned almost under the car so you won't trip over them getting in and out but they would be really hard to step on even if you used them. My old Explorer was the same, but maybe an inch higher off the ground. I think it was like a $900 option for those running boards too.

Driving is weak. Walk your self to your next destination , weak ass bitch.

Youre clearly not too smart, or live in the North Pole. Here in Texas it gets uo to 110*, some times hotter. I dont car how many windows you open, AC is a MUST.

yeah I don't need much in terms of heavy hauling or towing capacity and i wanted something that carries at least a little bit of respect (read: $$) when subjectively viewed by the locals. I'm a california desert boy by birth, im just up here for a while because the money is too damn good to pass up. I used to have an old prerunner with a built up tube chassis and absurd lift. the very essence of a desert bro truck. Gave it to my now ex girlfriend before i moved up here because I needed a lot more creature comfort to survive the long drives i need to take in winter here.

In essence, I wanted to spend a lot of money on a vehicle with a big price tag, but most of those things are sports cars and absolutely would not survive up here.

JAPAAAAAAAN

can't agree more. this is the reason why I'm going to get some old 90s car when i got the money

>Accident compromising the head lights

On a new car that's basically any kind of front end collision over 10 MPH

Had a 300zx with T tops and it was based as fuck IMO. Loved that car.

That seriously looks gross

I think that's mostly because of longer final drive ratios. A manual trans will always be more efficient than an auto that pushes fluid around a big veiny wheel dealy to convert the engine rotation to the trans, unless it's a trans that basically has a clutch.

The automatic version one of my cars, that is a stick shift, gets much better mileage. My other car is an auto but the manual gets better mileage due to the super long gears. Can't win lol

I think Trans Am pulled them off.

A traditional torque converter won't ever fully lock unless it has a clutching mechanism specifically to do that.

Yeah but on a modern car, fuck naawwww

You've obviously never driven a big truck like f750 without power windows. I'm tall as fuck and it's near impossible to roll the window down

My Subaru has voice controls just for the hands-free phone, it's so irredeemably bad that I don't know why they bother
>Dial number
>"What is the number?"
>4 0 3 3 8 3 8 7 9 2
>...
>"4003038588397792 - is this correct?"

>Dial number
>"What is the number?"
>Eight
>...
>"Five - is this correct?"

It got closer too because manufacturers are putting 6spd+ autos in cars now. Just a few years ago, a manual version of a given car would have a 5spd or 6spd while the auto version was 3spd or 4spd.

I drive around with just the passanget rear window down so I can listen to my turbo whistle

What do you do that pays so well? Your not the navigator compass guy are you?

>completely pointless

actually they are very helpful in muddy dirt roads user

Very few that I know prefer salted roads. The problem is when you put complete retards on the road, with no prior experience & winter tires of very low quality. If these people drive on roads covered in scraped ice its a disaster waiting to happen

If everyone knew how to drive according to the conditions and were kitted properly it wouldn't be a problem, but thats sadly not going to happen

I'd also add; headlight wipers/sprayers are required on HID/xenon headlights, as a dirty glass in one of those will throw sharp light everywhere, blinding oncomers

But headlights get warm and melt snow.

Passenger seats

automatic headlights

why are these a thing?

>I'd also add; headlight wipers/sprayers are required on HID/xenon headlights, as a dirty glass in one of those will throw sharp light everywhere, blinding oncomers

No they aren't.

Daytime lights are required by law in some euro countries, people forget to turn them on and get jewed by the popo. A convenience like any other, really.

Driving a manual in a traffic is hard? Is this the 90's?

Fuck off wymin

Daytime running lights and automatic headlights are totally different.

Automatic headlights have a light sensor on the dash and turn on your driving lights when it doesn't detect light.

Daytime running lights are on as soon as you switch the ignition on no matter the conditions

My Mercedes would learn how to live without headlight wipers

Because its so fucking hard to stick a rag out the window