/rlg/ - Roguelike general

FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/SgMJ7Xwh

* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *

Other urls found in this thread:

crawl.lantea.net:8080/#watch-rlgrobin
youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>want_shield = min(2*[Shields skill],[highest weapon skill])+10
>dont_shield = max([highest weapon skill]-[Shields skill],0)+10
>Note that it always uses your highest weapon skill here, even if the weapon type it chose earlier doesn't actually belong to your highest weapon skill. Unarmed Combat also counts as a weapon skill for determining whether you want a shield, so if Unarmed Combat happens to be your highest weapon skill, higher Unarmed Combat skill makes you more likely to get two-handed weapons from acquirement.
AHHAHAHAHAHAH

xth for bad code, a roguelike tradition

worship the tum

Also worth noting:

>Otherwise, multiply each weight by max(1,(27-min(27,[Armour skill]+3)-[armour ER]))^3, and then choose from the first list with those modified weights. In other words, quoting the comments, "highest chance when armour skill = (displayed) evp - 3" and "armour closest to ideal evp is 27^3 times as likely as the furthest away". Yes, it completely ignores your str, etc.

Want heavier armour? Train Armour skill first.

loli dancer roguelike when?

Some user said that the Android port of Nethack was his favourite, but he never said which port it was, do you guys know if it's the main one on the Play Store, because that one has some weirdass kb layout

This makes sense tho, the weapon acquirement doesnt

How do I survive past Dwarftown as a melee character? It's so damn easy to play wizard when you have teleportation to evade almost any situation but warrior feels absolutely helpless.

I bet it's a really good-looking hat though. Like the kind your dwarf can start his pimpin' career with after he ascends.

hot new roguelike

that @ is so fucked

In ADOM all characters in late game are the absolutely fucking same, with a difference of how many high level spells you can cast. Which doesn't matter much anyway because slaying ammo is absolutely OP and you should train a ranged weapon skill.

It's been a while since I've played ADOM and I forgot quite a bit already, but there's generally a sequence of doing things which makes the game much easier. Also ADOM is generally easier in the last free version (not counting the scummy tactics a lot of which were removed) since Ice Queen's Domain is a free source of mid game greater vault, tons of xp and very good rewards. I also think the last free version still has the overly buffed minotaur maze; doing IQD/FGJC and the maze sets you up for the rest of the game.

A bit earlier, you need to acquire certain traits, like getting teleport control first by farming blink dogs (name the original one so you don't forget which one it is and make it summon as many buddies as possible to maximize the chance of one of them dropping a corpse). With that and some means of magic mapping you go to VDDL and get a wand of teleportation from the hidden part of the map. With that, if you aren't chaotic (why would you, it only makes the game harder) you go to Dwarftown and teleport to dwarven mystic who is unaccessible otherwise. There are more sequences like that and if you do things in the correct order, reaching Dwarftown is like a sign that you've almost won already.

I can't write much more because I really don't remember a lot of the stuff, but there's stuff like prioritizing Healing (and Concentration for casters) early on, eating spiders ASAP for poison resistance, getting crowned and pre/post-crowned by tedious live sacrifices as soon as you find an altar of your alignment (not counting the one in Dwarftown), acquiring a stack of holy water while you're at it and use it to identify all of your stuff, diving Darkforge once you can deal with steel golems and so on.

>tfw still have a pic of my win, the one before the latest one
Tho compared that to this.. Mine is shameful

Why arent shields their own acquirement slot

Would be broken

!!! BEWARE THE BALANCECRIME !!!

user it's 5 am and i'm sleep drunk and you've made my night
thanks

Im not sure if i should smile, cry or do anything else but this is cute and its so..
Well either way i cried a bit from happiness and smiled a lot, thanks user

wait hold up
you're telling me you can't evoke rings of teleportation anymore?

Come watch my friend spam stealthy dick of storms as KoAr of Nemelex

crawl.lantea.net:8080/#watch-rlgrobin

no, and there's more than enough of teleportation sources without it

>he doesn't know the pleasure of tele ring + ctele ring
i will never be a warp god again ;_;

>Summons a panlord
>Proceeds to anger it with the disc
Absolute madman

He actually didnt, it was still under his control lol

Right, i forgot about the green circle instead of the heart icon

What does hearing a distant blaring wail mean?

Someone stepped on an alarm trap.

It was completely broken, good riddance.

A player ghost has spawned on the level and it knows where you are. Better run!

Finally, frog pond seems to be not so useless after all

I have literally never seen that much gold spawn at once.

>it was completely fun, well removed!

>find dragon king
>don't know if worth wearing
>that complicated feel when

Answer these questions to find out!
>Are you playing a caster?
>Do you have at least 30 STR?
>Does it tank your EV to less than 15?
If any of those had NO as an answer, you can safely throw it into lava!

dumb

It can be good for a tabber.

Shattering orc right after lair is a special experience.

There's no way to complete this area without killing John is there?

>what can you get for the man who has everything?

There's too big of a gap between blink and controlled blink.

Petition for lvl5 spell semicontrolled blink.

Amulet of harm is dank. I like pretending I invested even a single point of exp in my lvl 0 Fire Magic every now and then

last time i played passage was still a spell

John is a fucking asshole anyway.

Guaranteed tele wand in the dusty dungeon level.

>Grinder with a wand of digging on D:5
There is no god

>Grinder pulls out her dick.

Quaff might and tab

>mfw I forgot to use my 5(five) blink scrolls

That's what Blink+Control Teleport used to be. You would cast Blink and get to pick a direction.

This run has been kind of shit, absolutely nothing good except for that dragon hide which is waaay too heavy. First time I get so few pots by D:10 as well

More like a petition to remove cBlink because it reeks of degeneracy.

Quaff curing, 9989
Or burn a blink

Then I blinked out but there was a water moccasin precisely on that spot

Thinking further, the wands of digging are good, at least. And damnation would be good if I could even survive to extended like this

And then I blinked AGAIN and this was the result

Okay, the first tele put me right in front of Urug but the second did the trick

>blinking into unexplored area
You are own fault

Why would you blink south when you can blink north where it's explored? That's some next level fault right there

Your should have blinked back to the stairs at the beginning. Why would you blink into the unknown.

>play DEFE
>need to press z eight times to kill a fucking rat
>die
>remake character
>meat last DEFE's ghost
>he two-shots me with puff of flame

how the fuck does this make sense

Because I didn't want Urug and the famalamas to kill me. I didn't die so BACK THE FUCK OFF?!?!?

>blinking into unexplored territory
Are you fucking retared son?

>it worked out, so it must be a good thing to do

Do you not enjoy the 3-102 RNG of Crawl?

You burned through your entire stock of escapes because of being retarded. Enjoy being a formicid

The alternative was getting shot by Urug who didn't get fear, so as far as I'm concerned that was the right move

In any case I'll start another character since I got killed by a hill giant with throwing nets and GSC.

So you're saying a better move would have been to blink straight to where Urug was while also remaining exposed to the electric eels for another turn? There's a reason why I blinked to the farthest tile I could

One alternative was to not surround yourself with wolves and eels until your HP was in single digits.

I've always been vastly annoyed at how my ghosts are vastly stronger than my character actually was.

That was tele. I didn't walk there

I'm saying that you shouldn't complain that people are telling you about your dumb decision when the decision is, in fact, dumb. You had no better options, yes, but that only means that your mistake had occurred before you started taking screenshots.

Maybe you should choose to not teleport when 90% of the level is unexplored.

I'm torn between him being dumb because he didn't mention initially that there was a dangerous enemy in the only explored direction, or the people responding being dumb not noticing that he teleported to where he was in the first screenshot.

All in all, the correct decision was probably blink to stairs and choose another entrance down instead of using tele in the first place.

I teleported because I was getting a new asshole from Urug, his bunch of wolves and a troll. That's why I read fear too, you can still see the wolves fleeing on the other screenshots. I didn't expect the tele to put me on such a bad position

You should have expected the tele to put you in a terrible situation, because you explored none of the level.

Any reasonably intelligent person would have gone up the stairs and ever been challenged at all, or quaffed might and beat down Urug. However, since you're a Crawl player you'll have to rely on rote memorization. Now you have to add to your incredibly big list of heuristics the idea that teleporting with an unexplored level is risky in some way.

Of course dumbass. If you blinked north, ID your digging and dig towards the staircase, you would have saved your faulty ass. Urug is several tiles east, that should already buy you enough time

You really, really don't want to give up on this right? If I kneel and stroke your cocks while telling you you're the best will that be enough?

And again, that's not even what killed me

It is what killed you. You intentionally put yourself in a situation in which you were 'forced' to use up all of your resources blinking around a level where you couldn't fight anything, because you waited until you were at 4 health before doing anything about it.

>However, since you're a Crawl player you'll have to rely on rote memorization. Now you have to add to your incredibly big list of heuristics the idea that teleporting with an unexplored level is risky in some way.
This made me crack up.

No, what killed me was the fucking hill giant with throwing nets who hit me a couple times before I'd finished resting

And I don't know about you, but I really don't care that much. It's a game. I play it for fun. I honestly don't give a shit about losing a character, I've already given my reasoning (which is already more than I had any obligation for, being that you're obviously just desperate to act with condescension towards someone or something) and whether you believe it or not I'm NOT always at the edge of my seat thinking about all the possible ways I could save a fucking roguelike character whenever I get on a "dangerous" situation

I mostly just do the first thing I can think of that sounds like it'll work because, again, that's the way I have fun with roguelikes at all. I guess I could sit and think for at least a minute before any move, not use autoexplore and cheese the shit out of the energy system and substantially improve my winrate, but the thing is that I DON'T CARE ABOUT ANY OF THAT and playing that way bores me to tears.

_______________________________________________________________ git gud _______________________________________________________________

>I guess I could sit and think for at least a minute before any move

But you took more than a minute to crop and post those 3 screenshots.

>LOL DUDE it's just a game CHILL OUT who even cares
>I actually play Crawl for FUN

>caring about how one plays single-player games

don't ask how i got here

but what should i do

i have most scrolls/potions except for !hw
would ?silence work

>winning is boring

While I appreciate your position, I'd like to remind you that teleporting around like you've been possessed by Xom has resulted in this once-promising character being killed forever, thus meaning that not only do you have to start over from scratch but that you got outsmarted by fucking Urug.

It stands to reason that if you came up with even more way of dealing with incredibly common situations, which involves neither teleportation nor scrolls of random uselessness, you'd have more fun because you'd be able to see more of the game than the first 10 levels.

Now you're looking for any justification at all to keep the stale shitstorm going. I have a song for you

youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

>wear ID an amulet of harm
>take it off because it sucks and my skills are high enough to take the drain
>now this happens
I am going to have noskillz
Thank God that this trove gave me +5 Slaying to make up for it.

Would it be possible to turn spellbinder into a holy scourge?

Evoke Disintegration. It's coded to oneshot statues and similar enemies.

Man, it was an ogre and all my loot was super shit. Even if I literally exclusively used o, tab and 5 I could get another ogre to D:10 before I have lunch. I had seen people playing Yred yesterday so I've been trying him as well

AAA
(always aidentify amulets)

Oh yeah? I know exactly how you got there

>going to Elf:1 because lol I'm so excited
>at XL16 MR1
>haven't even entered a lair branch
>*crackle of arcane magical power*
>get bamboozled by Superior Elves™

apparently this does not work in trunk

No. Artifacts cannot be changed by any means.

oh fug, I didn't know that was trunk. Sorry, I thought someone with enough taste to play in ASCII would have the good judgement to play an older version. It would have worked in at least .14

AYYY wow
you're wrong
i dove to depths retardedly early, was tempted by my first ever wizlab

This is right after having fought nergalle.