Hill starts

What do you guys think?

San Franciscan here, neither, git gud

What? Is this a serious question? I live in the mountains and I've only ever used the brake pedal. Learn to drive faggot. People like you would be better off with aN automatic

Just ease off the clutch more carefully pussy

it's unsafe to heel toe because you might roll back if you make a mistake.

neither

you can roll back a centimeter or two, you won't die

Learn the bite point better. You shouldn't roll back more than a few inches.

let go of brake, start clutching out same time, grab it and go with the go pedal

i have literally never seen a mountain or hill in my life and really want to learn how to do this. I've been driving manual for 6 years

you don't have on ramps or overpasses?

>not having hill start assist

heel toe. blip throttle, off brake, let out clutch

I live on a decently steep hill and when I first got a manual I thought I'd have a really shitty time. I tried the handbrake a few times but really just taking off normally does it fine.

Depends on how I'm parked. If I'm doing a hill start out of a parallel park I'll use the hand brake.
If I'm on a normal hill I'll use the pedals.

I have torks. :)

t never started on a real hill / doesn't know what blip means

Fucking neither. I let my truck roll back until the clutch is engaged. If I bump into someone behind me, maybe they shouldn't have stopped so fucking close to my bumper.

>San Franciscan here

I wish I knew this before, it sure explains a hell of a lot

>not having a car with hill start assist

right. left is for newfags

>blip the throttle to start from a stop

what the fuck

slowly release the clutch pedal and slowly press the accelerator pedal congratulations you are driving

>having a car with AIDS

hill assist, so neither :^)

Lookie lookie we got a rookie

Is this some sort of meme?

How hard is it to switch your foot from the brake, to the accelerator? Like a quarter second. You do not roll back enough during that time.

I just do it normally but with more throttle.

>Being paranoid

Rolling back a couple of inches has never killed someone and if i where to hit someone behind me, that person was too close to being with.

>Hand brake method
Too tacky

>Heel toe
My pedals are too weird for that ;_;

Using handbrake is proper driving tho

People rarely drive manual so I've got people pushing me behind on the hill. Fucking retards I really want to jump out and beat them

Handbrake for parallel parking on steep hills.

My newest car has hillstart assist and let me tell you anyone withoit doesnt know what they are missing out on.

you know the hand brake method is just the more practical one if you don't want to roll back a little

This. Parallel parking in Seattle has forced me to use the handbrake.

It's 2016 and it's called brake assist.

Yeah you certainly grow some balls after the first few times.

>left

this is only reserved for people with no ability to drive on a hill but holy FUCK apparently it's 100% the stamdard procedure in japan and china. i have no respect left for asians

I feel you senpai, people usually realize you are driving manual and let a little bit of space in front of them, but when they don't give a fuck I also don't give a fuck and let the car roll a little bit even if it hits them.

Soccer moms being the number 1 offender

>quickly release clutch to bite point
>slip clutch until it's fully released
Not that hard if you know your car.

>he doesn't handbrake drift at every opportunity

>4th pedal for parking brake

at least i get a laff when people wonder why i have so many pedals

what car?

>not reading the op

also,
>not using a braking drift

>TFW your dad taught you to drive stick in SF

Usually right but sometimes left especially if somebody is close as fuck.

>have auto
>been yearn for that manual life
>whenever I'm on hill, I put it into neutral to roll back and scare the people behind me a bit
idk why

>big intersection with stop light on big ass hill
>always wait at the bottom when there are cars at the top

Christ I'm a lazy fuck

>>always wait at the bottom when there are cars at the top
sometimes I do this, but it's because I drive a 2004 civic and I rather not have to rev it to 4k to get up the hill

Never heard of this hill-assist, so I looked it up.
MFW this is how weak we've become.

2003 Jetta with the AC running I think I just barely have 100 horsepower.

why do americans feel the need to act macho about driving manual

it's weird, isn't it?

>tell someone you can't drive manual
HAHA RETARD, IT'S EASY AS FUCK

>someone is telling you about how they can drive manual
I'M SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU, I'M BEST DRIVER ;DDD

it's not acting macho, it's more about
>he can't drive a manual
>laughinggirls.png

it's pathetic

Get an automatic and you don't have to worry about it like some fool

I don't feel macho, a manual just makes me realize how much more I hate every other driver on the road, and that makes me hard.

>not always permanently disabling hill assist

Though I guess I'll turn it on when I finally get around to teaching my girl to drive manual.

iktf
>occupation is driving
tfw hatred is my fuel

>not using clutch kick
>not using shift lock
>not using lift off
what kind of pleb are you

>>>needing brakes to lock your wheels

Handbreak nigger

>clutch kick

Mah nigga

Of the 2 choices, handbrake. I would never try to do that heel toe crap. But I never use the handbrake for hill starts personally.

>wix god tier
>mobil 1, champion, ACDelco mid tier

nigga you crazy

>he doesn't blip the throttle at every takeoff

>let go of brake, start clutching out same time
Thats gonna stall before the foot gets to gas pedal

>start learning manual
>barely even driven it and I can almost perfectly hill start with just my feet
>end up being stuck learning in an auto
>lost that ability, can't even handbrake start properly now

No? The point is to get to clutch's bite point: not moving but not stalling either.

>how to spot someone who doesn't drive manual
bite point bre

>use brake pedal
>normies assume you drive an auto because your brake lights are on
>they WOT up your ass while you're barely moving

older mercs for example
190, w124 etc

Let clutch out till it bites, off the brakes and on to the gas, pull away.

I've never done it any other way and I've never stalled on a hill or rolled back more than an inch, usually I don't roll back at all. My 1.4l shitbox has literally no low end torque, so I'd I can do it, so can you.

Driving school sending us through a freak 7% incline to practice sure paid off.

>All these amerifats rollin

There's a point in which your car just holds there without moving, you can hit that point without stalling, it puts stress into the clutch but if you do it smooth enough its fine.
>Brake still in
>Move the clutch towards the bitting point
>Let off the brake and put some throttle.
>Ease off the clutch to start moving slowly, press it again + brake if necessary.

It's not though. Learn to drive without needing E-brake assistance. It's literally pathetic. If you cant balance the clutch and throttle on a hill, you don't need a manual.

I used to always ride the clutch or just hold the clutch and the brake down, then blip throttle and go...

I've stopped doing either as much now as I've absolutely fucked my throwout bearing after doing this daily for the last 12000 miles.

I don't do the handbrake method unless my feet ache from driving all day.

Neither you stupid shit. You just do it the normal way, except a bit faster.

>3.5°
Look at this bad ass over here.

Fucking stupid. you don't fucking heel toe to get started

This

Why use heel toe or handbrake when you can simply hold both clutch and brake and slowly release clutch until it gets to catch point and then step on gas and release clutch fully?

Heel toe is for boiracers realy and handbrake is sometimes foot operated.

what are you niggers talking about

handbrake on when you're at a red light in the hills. If you want to go just drop the clutch about 3/8's of the way, keep the revs up and take the handbrake off. Piss easy, faggots with zero roll back

Why wear the clutch out? Why use the handbrake? Just learn to fucking drive you pussy

why not smash into the car behind me and hold liability? im not dumping the clutch and driving off with the handbrake on you goddamn retard its not harming anything

Hand-brake obviously, it's what it's there for.

There's no point in wearing your clutch out in these circumstances, and engaging the hand-brake when stationary puts ZERO wear on your brakes, while making for a much more graceful and controlled start.

It takes very little hand-brake force to hold a car on anything but the steepest of hills, during which you can leave the gearbox in neutral with your foot off the clutch pedal entirely.

When it's time to get moving, just leave normally, with the hand-brake still engaged initially, and releasing it as you begin moving. By leaving the hand-brake engaged momentarily, until you're fully committed to leaving, you essentially have weak autobrakes. Just don't engage the hand-brake too hard, only enough to prevent the car from rolling backwards. It doesn't take much to overcome it and drive forward.

This helps tremendously when negotiating complicated and busy hilly intersections like one finds in downtown San Francisco. Be aware however, leaving with the hand-brake even partially engaged will put some wear on the rear brakes, but slipping the clutch for extended periods in these situations puts incredible wear on the clutch, and brake pads are far cheaper to replace.

I presume many of the people saying to just drive normally leaving from hills are driving trucks or other vehicles with substantial torque and/or rotating mass. I know my pickup requires far less effort to drive in such situations, it can just idle away from the average inclined stop without stalling. But the average car is a 4 cylinder these days, and the hand-brake is often placed right next to the shifter on such vehicles to make it equally accessible for this reason.

>treating the clutch as a wear item

This looks like a picture of those people with a smaller deformed 6th finger

>legs too long to do hektik heel toe

let off clutch until you hear rpms start to dip
let off brake, move foot to gas
give slight gas and finish releasing clutch

How do you people fuck this up?

I just make my wheels squeal. I smash the gas to get the revs all high and then I just release the clutch shoots me forward. Too scared of rolling back and hitting the car behind me, barely started driving stick

Or I do the thing in the OP only no brake pedal

>assuming I meant not holding the brake in until the light turns green, then engaging the clutch
Learn to drive faggot

gotta love the CLUNK sound it makes when you release the parking brake

is your foot a fucking snail?
I've never had trouble with this.

punta tacco (second picture) always

God, you guys don't even know that there's a name to this maneuver

Lmao alot of non v8+ fags that don't have the power to idle up hills

Is this pedal like a switch? Press one time to engage it, press again to release it? Otherwise, how do you release it?

m8 gotta go drifting

Neither.

Car has its own hill break assist. Spoiled me rotten.

not everyone's mexican

> Every day commute

> Get so angry, now I don't feel anymore

> Now I just do whatever I need to do to get ahead with no emotion

> Last week I drove through a construction zone because they left the fucking cones out blocking everything instead of putting them away.

> I haven't even worked here for one year yet

> I'm afraid of my future

Where do you live? The hill I have outside my house will stall my 6bt cummins with 4.10 gears in low.

europoor driving a underpowered shitbox here

i use handbrake mostly because even though i don't roll back the car struggles to accelerate and doing this may wear out some part that i don't know in Angloid

it's an italian name used by professional drivers in the entire world

Veeky Forums sometimes you can dissapoint...

For me it's situational. I don't roll back if I use brakes only, but I'm lazy. Handbrake does the job if I want to sit in neutral and have to wait for eons.

Or you know, people that speak a different language have their own words for heel and toeing.