TPMS requirements

I just got a new (to me) car and it's great but it has shitty wheels with plastic hub caps. I want to buy new wheels but the budget is tight and I just found out that aftermarket wheels need a TPMS sensor installed for an extra $250. Is there any way I can circumvent this charge or just skip the sensors altogether?

Other urls found in this thread:

stevejenkins.com/blog/2014/11/tpms-warning-light-replace-your-tpms-sensors-for-cheap/
nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/tpmsfinalrule.6/tpmsfinalrule.6.html
tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=214
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>being this much of a poorfag
Do it right or not at all.

In your shitty old wheels, are the TPMS stems rubber or aluminum shit ones? If they have rubber stems all you have to do is buy the stems and have them attach the sensor to those stems.

This is, of course, assuming that you aren't going to reuse the old steel wheels.

Also
>Murica
>Requiring TPMS sensors at all times

kekekek

Aluminum shit

It's just that I don't give a shit about it

RIP

>I just found out that aftermarket wheels need a TPMS sensor installed for an extra $250.

That's a ripoff. See URL below for much cheaper methods than stealership $250 per wheel:
stevejenkins.com/blog/2014/11/tpms-warning-light-replace-your-tpms-sensors-for-cheap/

They don't require it.. not any state I've ever lived in.

Why don't you just rip the entire TPMS module out of the car and jump the indicator.

nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/tpmsfinalrule.6/tpmsfinalrule.6.html
Phased in in 2008

>Steel wheels
>TPMS
But why tho

That's to sell the car in the United States.

Has nothing to do with keeping it installed in order to register it or pass inspection.

Good shit. Sucks that there are no Discount Tires in my state though

tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=214
>Does TPMS have to be functional in order to pass inspection?
>No. Confirmed by the DMV.
Well shit nigga, thanks for the tip. So does the tire company just try to scare us into buying the sensors to get more money out of us? I get that there is a convenience factor of having them but if I can do without then I will

>They don't require it.. not any state I've ever lived in.

In the U.S., if you purchased a car or light duty vehicle manufactured after September 1, 2007, you have TPMS. If your model was manufactured after October 5, 2005, you might have TPMS. Prior to then, some higher-end vehicles came TPMS as a premium option. In the TREAD Act of 2000, the usa gov't mandated TPMS in all new vehicles with the following phased rollout:

== 20% == of new vehicles from Oct 5, 2005 - Aug 31, 2006
== 70% == of new vehicles from Sept 1, 2006 - Aug 31, 2007
== 100% == of new vehicles from Sept 1, 2007 and beyond

Can you bypass having TPMS so that the alert doesn't appear on the dash?

Well, hmmm. Under 49 U.S.C. 30122(b), "A manufacturer, distributor, dealer or motor vehicle repair business may not knowingly make inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard. So, if you are not the owner or employee of an auto-related business, you can do something. If you dont have enough cash to install them, but enough to buy them, get 4 TPMS sensors and put one near each reader in wheel well. Calibrate or make the car sense them. Label each with the wheel they go to for future reference. Now put all 4 inside a small pvc pipe with capped ends and a shrader air valve stem. Pump 34 to 35 pounds air into pipe. Your sensors now see a nice pressure and dont trigger the dash warning light. Put pipe somewhere safe that the car can still read it. Under your seat? I have not tried this idea, but you can see it is one approach. When you do have the money to finish things, take the sensors out and finally install them properly.

You can take your existing sensors out of your current wheels and put them in your new wheels.

Why did you even post this.
It has nothing to do with what I posted.

No, they are required by law to at least attempt to, though.

>So does the tire company just try to scare us into buying the sensors to get more money out of us?
Answered by
>"A manufacturer, distributor, dealer or motor vehicle repair business may not knowingly make inoperative any part
So it's just a liability thing. I can buy the wheels and tires and say I'm getting the TPMS installed elsewhere but not actually do it

this right here.

also whenever my mom gets tires from discount tire they always con her into buying new sensors. actually they con everybody that goes there, at least the one down the street.

But could I convince someone selling me tires + wheels that? Because I can't put on tires and obviously it's weird for me to have the tires put on before I deal with the sensor

just take the tire off your spare and throw all 4 sensors in. set spare tire psi to spec and ur good to go.

>Going to a place that charges 250 a wheel for TPMS
I got mine from Costco for 200 installed

>So it's just a liability thing. I can buy the wheels and tires and say I'm getting the TPMS installed elsewhere but not actually do it

Correct. It is not the same thing as an "Odometer is Not Connected" issue. In that case, the car is not street legal and cannot be operated although it can be towed. The laws are a mishmash and one really has to read them. Some laws don't work on private property so you or your children can drive that vehicle on your own private property (ranch) for example. But then specific laws intrude such as the odometer one where you cannot even drive it on your ranch unless it is working. Nevertheless, many people have disconnected their odometers at one time or another as I've seen plenty of odometers "not work" in my lifetime. It's how people keep their insurance payments lower for having fewer miles per year. And of course, it helps resale value.

Wow, that is even more clever and cheaper than the PVC Pipe trick in . Hopefully the car's computer can read the sensors in there because now there is so much surrounding metal and distance that the signal might be too weak. Well, don't know until you try.

My car has in-rim TPMS, I got a spare set off ebay for $60.

The big question is whether or not you need to have it reset or if they will register on their own. If they have to reset it at a dealership, get ready to get fleeced.

Mine reset and register the new ones after a day or so of driving because the sensors actively put off data, all the ECU has to do is pick up on it and read it.

How expensive is it to put a tire on a wheel?

typically like 25 bucks a wheel