Can new cars be fun for someone into old cars?

>Test drives Focus ST at dealership
>Tries pulling out of parking spot
>This throttle and steering are weightless, disgusting
>Floors throttle, grabs gears, goes fast
>Can't feel the road
>Do I even have control
>The engine noise is being played through the speakers
>Blind spots are bigger than Rosie O'Donnell due to safety regulations
>Can't actually see anything behind or beside me
>No sir I don't feel comfortable driving this car

I drive older, primitive vehicles despite my very young age. Anything I've ever owned has been an off-road vehicle or sports car older than 1994 (except a 2003 Ranger, which doesn't count anyway). If I step into a newer car, it's very fucking weird to me. I like having a throttle cable, I like steering that is more engaging, I fucking hate blind spots, and I like working on my own vehicle. I've driven maybe 4 or 5 vehicles made past 2009 and I have found none of them enjoyable. I sweat when I visit my parents and drive my mom's Camry. I feel like I'm going to die whenever I'm behind the wheel because I can't feel the car's relationship with the road. Maybe I don't have enough experience with newer cars to figure out if I like them or not?

My current and only vehicle is a 1990 Ranger 4x4 manual with all sorts of shit for off-roading. It's simple and fun. But I'm heading off to work for a big company to make hella dosh and I need a newer car that I can put miles on, something sporty yet practical and economical. I've already narrowed it down to about 7 cars that I want to test drive, but I'm not even sure if I'll like any of them.

Is this just the way it is? Are cars just not fun anymore or am I fucking idiot that hasn't driven the right one yet?

Why would you expect a focus to be fun?

Manual, 250hp, econobox hatch. That sort of idea used to be fun 30 years ago. Publications raved about the handling and overall fun they had with it, so I thought I'd try it out.

Its a focus...

Comparable to a GTI without the legendary reputation

>Comparable to the gti
So unreliable trash?
Yup

250hp in a 3200 pound wrong wheel drive car, it's trash.

Sorry user. Road feel and practicality are mutually exclusive.
You need to decide on what you want.

Yeah I've never owned anything but RWD or 4x4, don't really know what I was thinking. Which is also why I'm looking at the GT86, Miata, Genesis Coupe, and Rustang despite less practicality and higher insurance cost

I know that feel. I don't even get the urge to stretch the legs on newer cars with drive by wire it's just not fun for me.

Most people just don't know what they're missing out on because they've either never driven an older car or the ones they've driven weren't engaging. eg: it didn't have rack and pinion steering.

I've always got the truck if I need to carry or tow anything, so I guess it works out.

>Practical + sporty
Focus RS
WRX
Evo
S15
Infiniti Sedan (probably your best bet)
>Less practical but sporty and fun
MR2 (MR-S for cheapest, best road feel)
370/350z
S2000
Boxster S (986's are cheap and fun)
Lotus Elise (Best road feel ever)
There's a few others, but really, they are getting too old.

of fucking course new cars can be fun. i mean the most fun i've had in a car was a 2015 FF "hot" hatch with under 140 hp on a seriously windy forest road. speed and fun are different things, and as long as you have a somewhat good chassis, a bit of power and some brakes and you just gotta find a good road. slick gearbox could help as well, come think of it.

and after i watched that clarkson thriller thing, if you have two of these little hatchbacks, you can have crazy fun by just driving. not that i've driven the a faster focus, but at the end of the day, this is Ford and as much as people like to meme, they are not retarded. they would go and sell a bad car. reading a bit of reviews, it looks like they've made a very good car.

but if you dont like the car, i cant get in your face and tell you that your opinions are shit, and tell you that you should like it.

maybe you just jumped in that car and wanted to dislike it. Maybe you were just looking for things to complain about. fuck do i know

pic related

I think the blind spots killed the experience. There's a lot of traffic in America, lots of multi-lane roads and highways with lots of shitty drivers because even the lowliest uneducated person can afford a car here. Visibility is great in virtually all older vehicles due to weaker roofs and pillars. But nah, I'm not bashing on Ford. My truck is a Ford.

Not that user, but the swift is actually amazing with it's visibility. The kinda awkward shape of the car is actually its strength, because of the huge windows it's one of the only modern cars you can actually see out of.

>but if you dont like the car, i cant get in your face and tell you that your opinions are shit, and tell you that you should like it.

Wow we live in a age where some people think you should not be allowed to dislike a fwd car.

w-what. i didn't imply that. and i even have a swift, almost like the one pictured.

> i didn't imply that.
Yes you did you snarky prick.

no i fucking didn't. what i did imply is that there is no point screaming to another someone over the internet what he should think about a car, irregardless of drive wheels. fucks sake

Ignore the user with 0 reading comprehension skills, bro.

It's not just you, and it's a lot of cars that feel this way, no feeling from the wheel and very limited viewing range.

My mother got a new Lexus sporty shitter after bugging my father for a year, I stopped by in my e46 M3 to try it out, got in and felt like I was piloting a submarine. The full size vans and panels I use at work have fewer blind spots

yeah, i kinda am a sucker for bait

> buy best car made by honda or Toyota 20 years ago
Feels good man. Well optioned and preforming and will survive for a few years longer

>irregardless

You clearly did.

>maybe you just jumped in that car and wanted to dislike it. Maybe you were just looking for things to complain about. fuck do i know

The implication is that it's not possible to legitimately dislike the focus. Which is ridiculous since being lol wheel drive automatically makes it undesirable to many people in the market for a sporty car.

Get used to it you fucking pussy

>another anti ff trip fag
Corey please

dude i don't know about cars, i don't even have a license
but i do drive motorbikes and yes, new models have less feel but it is because they just work!
the chassis doesn't shake, or the engine and the suspensions and the brakes are smart...

when you get used it you will still like your old stuff because they "feel", but you are going to like the new ones because they are just better

The RS is in another league from the WRX, the evo isn't made anymore

This board is full of mouth breathing retards bench racing cars that aren't even competitors