Is he right?

Is he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3vlOmf7jGOE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Absolutely. He didn't mention:

The lack of entertainment options in the 1990s (videogames, social networking, anime/manga, more importantly computers/cell phones were nowhere nearly as popular as they are today).

Cheap/Easy Credit (How do you think you were buying a $60-70,000 R32 GTR as a 20 year old?) along with far cheaper insurance rates.

Less severe penalties for street racing and lack of engineering controls like there are on modern mountain roads to prevent that stuff (speed bumps, barriers, and grooved roads).

>initial D
A shit overated anime. Opinion discarded.

I'm not sure kids these days are any more narcissistic as aren't personality traits genetic or something?

They are not as popular for even more obvious reasons.

1) Young people are not moving to the burbs to own homes because they can't afford it, so they are an increasingly urban population.

2) Ridesharing means urban dwellers need cars even less than they did.

3) Decreased purchasing power, stagnant wages, and much more questionable job security compared to the 90s means they can't really afford cars

4) You needed a car to socialize and be independent in most places in America before the internet. Now you can stay at home and shitpost on facebook and twitter and cars aren't as important.

5) Amazon prime delivering your household needs and groceries with free shipping is way cheaper than car ownership.

6) Cars are seen as anachronistic hedonisms for boomers who want to destroy the planet and kill brown people. Progressive individuals use public transport or bicycles.

I would say absolutely not. Car enthusiasts are still out there its just the methods of indulging that have changed.

Between inflation, stagnant wages and increasing amounts of debt many young people simply dont have the disposable income to indulge in the car hobby directly.

Add to that growing cost of getting into it. Boomers help over inflate the muscle car market so they're becoming untouchable, classic exotic prices are going stratospheric and reserves of the nineties sports cars that the younger generation grew up wanting are drying up.

When it comes to new cars, most anything fun or quick gets prohibitively expensive quickly. Hell a Focus ST or GTI with enough option boxes ticked of can retail for thirty grand new.

Plus insurance rates discriminate against younger drivers so cost of ownership is higher as well.

On the other hand car games can rake in big money, car based channels on Youtube get big numbers of views, etc.

They do so because the market is there and they are the most accessible way of indulging an interest in cars.

No personality traits are not genetic in humans.

Kids these days don't like cars because they can't afford them. We currently have the lowest young labor participation rate we've had in a century. More people 18-30 are living at home than ever.

Who the fuck has time to catch a bus or ride a fucking Huffy to go grocery shopping or to commute to work?

This whole thing with 'MILLENNIALS HATE CARS AND DO NOT DRIVE!!! THEY USE THIS ONE WEIRD HACK DISCOVERED BY AREA MOM TO AVOID THE WORKDAY COMMUTE" is horseshit, everyone needs a car to survive as a functioning adult in the USA.

>everyone needs a car to survive as a functioning adult in the USA.

Tell that to r9k

your genetics play a role in your environmental development so ipso facto they do on some level.

>r9k
>functioning
>adult

you mean non-functioning children?

but, no depending on where you live you don't need a car at all.
NYC and Chicago are the only cities I can think of with good enough public infrastructure, though.

>decreased purchasing power
This. Cars are more expensive. Parts are more expensive. And it is more difficult to wrench on your own car than it was in the 70s and 80s. There's only so far you can go before you have to plug a laptop with special software into your car.

Have you never seen the cliches of people being just like their parents?

Kind of hard to work when employers want 30 years experience in Java for an entry level programming position

Initial D is a shit anime anyways and most fags on Veeky Forums just pretend to like it

>not having said laptop and special software

It's not like these things are hard to get

>90s
>lack of anime, manga, and vidya
You're delusional

>get out of uni with a degree in mathematical economics
>business intelligence positions in my area require a minimum of 3 years experience and certs in computer science
>laughed out of interviews for entry level market research positions at the only two market research firms in the city

I hate being stuck in fucking ohio

Cars are popular with young people today
Ignore the opinion of a loner whose only experience with young people is twitter posts and articles about "millenials"

>he fell for the STEM meme

Cars aren't as popular today because people are more retarded, and cars are less enjoyable, plus most kids will in USA will get an automatic FWD car and never know how fun driving can be. If I didn't have a RWD V8 car when I was younger, I don't think I'd be an enthusiast.

meme is a funny way to spell scam

I would probably concede younger people don't buy cars or anything else as status symbols. It's all Japanese econoboxes or driving mom's old 90's minivan until their late 20's and scooters and shit like that their parents and grandparents would not be caught dead driving. Why new car sales are down and people blame "millenials" not so much they are not driving or owning cars, they are are not buying new or leasing.

>tfw yuropoor
>tfw will never own a V8
>tfw will never be an enthusiast

Well there are other good RWD cars, but RWD V8 is hella fun. :3

HEY CUNT. I'M 19 AND I LIKE MY E36 SHIT SHITBOX
I WAS WATCHING INITIAL D IN 2004 FROM MY BROS CD RIPS
I LOVE BURNOUT 3, I LOVED FUCKING SHUTOKOU BATTLE 3
I'M WORKING MY ASS FOR A FUCKING JZX100 BECAUSE STRAIGHT 6 IS LOVE, YA FUCKING CUNT

Well good job user, it looks like new generations are trying to still embrace car culture. Stick around so Veeky Forums dosn't go the way of the dodo

These.

/r9k/ should be locked in a garage with a running car so they can perish from the exhaust

Protip: there never was "nature vs nurture" anyone with a brain knows it's "nature and nurture"

*am I right?

One of the best posts I've seen on Veeky Forums. Congrats m8, I don't say this often.

>Less severe penalties for street racing and lack of engineering controls like there are on modern mountain roads to prevent that stuff (speed bumps, barriers, and grooved roads).
I've watched old Initial D era Japanese motorcycle touge videos where they shred on grooved hairpins and roads with bumpy lane dividers.

Inital D wouldn't succeed in 2010 because it's a shitty anime.

Also it's not Moe garbage either.

They were nowhere nearly as prevalent and popular as they have been in the last 10 years user.

>Not working so can't afford to buy a beater and git gud with cars
>Walk to DD in back of parking lot at college
>Lifted trucks doing burnouts in the parking lot
>#SLAMMED civics beat to hell with fart cans
>Old SN-95 Mustangs speeding down the access road
>1 out of every 42 cars is a manual (gratuitous)
>70% drives 2014 civics and 2008 maximas
>26% drives econobox hatchbacks
>4% sleepers or well-tuned enthusiast cars
>Most aren't even on the car's title/don't own it; parent's pay for insurance
>Cop can take away your license just from street racing
>Trying to evade a cop [from a street race] is a felony
I'm not much better but at least I'm aware of and acknowledge my situation.

Economy is terrible, everyone HAS to go to college nowadays, if you get a ticket or an accident your insurance will fuck you hard, building credit is harder than ever, all the technology, safety, and engineering has made car costs exorbitantly high.

Combined with the idiots who aren't real car enthusiasts and just "love to go muddin' and rollin' coal" end up shaming the hobby. Who wants to pay $600 for mods when you could buy the newest iPhone and crash texting while driving because you're not busy shifting and the suspension is too numb to feel the road.

/rant

There's only about 3 succinct kinds of car people
>muscle
>trucks
>stance

There are hardly any "everyman" kind of person who just likes all vehicles. Or at least someone who likes cars and isn't vain as fuck about it

Cars that are fun or performance oriented are only getting harder and more cost prohibitive

As a young person with a realistic car budget you're basically limited to sporty-ish Japanese econoboxes or dying, decades old American cars that you get to enjoy the last 10k-50k miles left that it has before it's not worth continuing to fix.

I disagree. As long as you can work on your own car (which any true enthusiast should be able to do) it's far from being cost prohibitive.

I mean, yeah, buying new performance cars and modding them is pricey as fuck, but there are boatloads of cheap, fun, and fast cars made between 1970 and 2000 that can be had for a couple thousand bucks, plus some work put into them.
As an example, I bought a mk3 supra for $1000 on craigslist and fixed a simple electrical problem. The car has provided me with years of enjoyment and even though it's a cheap, pigfat, 80's GT car, I have PLENTY of fun in it.
Another cheap and fun car I had was a Z32 300zx. Yes they are hard to work on, but its not fucking rocket science. I bought the thing for $400 on the side of the road from some retired dentist (original owner) who paid some random highschooler to "change the injectors" which resulted in this kid pulling the wiring harness apart and then forgetting how to put it all back together. So for $400 and an afternoon of sorting out the wiring, I had a perfectly running and surprisingly clean Z car that provided years of fun. After hooning the shit out of it for 20k miles, I sold it for $2000.
I also bought a Datsun 510 off craigslist for $4000, fixed some small things on it with junkyard parts, and swapped in the bigger 2L engine and 5-speed which I found on craigslist for $300. The 510 is hands down the most fun car I've ever owned, it's reasonably fast, and it's absolutely dirt cheap to fix.

If you think fun cars are cost prohibitive, you're doing it wrong.

>pic related

>And it is more difficult to wrench on your own car than it was in the 70s and 80s
Technically yes, since there is more electronic bullshit, but don't confuse "more difficult" with "impossible". Even with the more electronic stuff, it's still not very complicated.
>Parts are more expensive
Not at my local junkyard they aren't.
>There's only so far you can go before you have to plug a laptop with special software into your car
You're greatly exaggerating this. Unless you're specifically trying to tune your car, boost it, or modify the ECU functions, there's no need for laptops or special software. And no, OBD scanners are not expensive. Most major parts stores even rent them out.

Yes they are. Read up on twin studies some time. Even sense of humor is identical between two identical twins (ie matching genetics) reared in entirely different households.

You are. Anime was literally illegal & underground, fansubs hardcoded to VHS copied & traded between snailmail networks around college campuses. Even in the early 2000s, you only obtained copies through irc groups. You couldn't just google an anime and find a stream.

You are born after 1996 so your opinion doesn't count.

You obviously don't remember the 90's.

It was a time when you would burn and copy CD's and to watch anime you had to pay for it or stay up till 3am to watch it on TV.

cars and other similar hobbies are still popular here in NZ and AUS.

At least where I live (North Europe) the prices of gasoline have skyrocketed in the last 20 years

Related to above but genuine purchasing power has gone down over the same time period. I don't care what the statistics say, it's true.

High youth unemployment

I know a lot of people who don't even get a driving licence, they think that they don't need it and they don't want it. It used to be that you had really become independent when you had your own place and your own car. It's not like that anymore, barely nobody has both before they're 25 or even 30

Cars aren't "cool" anymore. I grew up with Gran Turismo 1 and 2 and I gorged on all the descriptions of the cars, the history, everything, wanted to know everything about cars, but I was in the minority.

Link?

> being this myopic

>He didn't get a degree in CompSci
>He didn't intern his last 2 years of college getting paid more than his peers working traditional college jobs while in a easy office environment
>He didn't transition to full time employment from his internship because it's a waste of money to teach an employee for 2 years and not hire them
>Didn't have 3 years experience to throw down on a resume within a year of graduating

No STEM degree can help you if you're a retarded faggot.

Amerifats don't know the struggle of living in a 3rd world country.
I will never have a R32, or a Trueno, a 92 NX2000 is 28k BRL (a 0km popular car is around 35K, minimum wage is under 1k BRL), a 93 Impreza is about 13k...
You don't find Miatas, Civics B16 is pretty rare, and american cars like a Dodge Dart is so rare thats goes easily above 70k.

Damn, it's really hard.

Yeah you just revealed your stupidity. The nature vs nurture debate is over what degree of control each has, not whether one happens or the other. It never was. We always knew it was both

Your an idiot. It wasnt as easily accessible then but it was out there. I know. I lived through it. 30 dollar vhs days were crappy though. But thats why tape sharing and bootlegging got big.

Sure i did. He said it was illegal. It wasnt. Now people were making bootlegs sure. But bootlegs have been around since the dawn of the tape era. I lived in a hick town and still remembered the video stores carrying tapes to rent or places like suncost or media play having huge shelves of 30 dollar vhs. It wasnt as popular as it is now but now its literally mainstream. Back then people still called it japanamation. There were several us based anime mags and newsletters running since the 80s. They sold manga comic books. Shows were on tv. Broadcast tv. Sure you might have to set your vcr to record at 7 oclock on sunday morning but tekkaman blade was there for you to watch. Those horrible dubs of dbz and sailor moon were running everyday and you just had to watch them. Shit I remember watching robotech with my dad on our horribly colored shag carpet.

You're autistic as hell

youtu.be/3vlOmf7jGOE

Living in the 3rd shithole isn't even considered to have human rights. Let alone the privilege of driving

t. 3rd immigrant who "made it" to the murrica

This

Ayy I'm also stuck in Ohio did you go to OSU?

ALSO
>not doing internships
My major has one that pays $20/hr amigo maybe you should do some hunting

I'm sure e92 m3's are cheaper in yuropoor land, no?

You forgot the fourth
>[Geographic location] shitbox enthusiast

LOVEMELOVEMELOVEME

I'm a 20 year old from a middle income family. Counting insurance rates (which are halved if you're on your parents' plan), gas, and my $10/hr job + savings account I can basically get a sub $4000 jap econobox that won't grenade on me and is easy to work on.

But he still proved you wrong

>butthurt

I'd like to throw in as an early 20's guy that most entry level cars just don't seem fun at all anymore. The 90's had a lot of fun cars that were made for driving, but now those cars are starting to get old and are less readily available. I read an article that said, based on consumer analysis, car manufacturers found that by far the most important part of a car for a new buyer today is a section they labeled "infotainment," all the siri and onstar bullshit was more important that performance, safety, fuel economy, etc. Being in to cars today is less prevalent because cars simply aren't marketed to the people who actually like them, they're marketed to everyone else.

Also I personally hate the styling of cars today. I think they look fat, bloated, and all the little unnecessary fins and vents make them look like a 12 year old's fantasy. I miss the boxier/simpler designs of the past that had cleaner lines. They used to look more functional.

>but, no depending on where you live you don't need a car at all.
>NYC and Chicago are the only cities I can think of with good enough public infrastructure, though.

Yeah, you're right about Chicago. I don't have a car yet (saving up for a wrx) but I've found that I don't renewed a car to get around.

Renewed should be need*

I'm in the same boat as you. Now I'm looking for anything with rear wheel drive, manual gearbox and with a heavy preference for 80s/90s Japanese cars. I'd love something from the 70s, but that's obscure, older, and most of those are rotted away. Especially up in Canada.

The only thing I really want new is a Toyobaru, but that's an expensive way to go slow and have fun. I can go slow and have fun in a 240sx.

Not really. kids these days that are actual car enthusiast don't have enough money to afford anything but a shitboxes. I think inital d still would have been good and popular but would have to use more modern cars

witch part of canada are you because 240sx are all molested into tree here

>Implying commuting by bike is time-inefficient
>Riding a Huffy
Please go be a retarded pleb somewhere else.

Ontario. They're all molested and crashed. RX7s are all flooded and busted. Miatas are not viable due to their small size. Corollas are Initial D taxed. Celicas are a thing. But many are molested. Wedge Supras are around, but Mark 4s are stupid expensive.

At least I'm not looking for a Civic. That would be the worst fate. At this point, I'd take someone's modified car, if it was done right.

>kids these days that are actual car enthusiast don't have enough money to afford anything but a shitboxes

So, Veeky Forums basically?

>you got good taste user
well its litterally pretty much the same here in Qc but with more potholes and riced civics

/thread

oh my god

threads like this where people keep saying over and over and over and over and over and over and over
this is such an awful thread to have at the top of the list

im sorry but its a sage from me

the point is, to be "into Anime" required actual participation within the community. It wasn't something you could just easily passively consume. Besides dubbed saturday morning cartoons that you didn't even realize weren't american as a kid, you had to actively seek it out. I only became aware of anime because I had a friend who showed it to me, it's the same I was introduced into techno raves and noise shows, etc. later in life - hell even early Veeky Forums. you had to know friends of friends to participate.

what he should've said was that there wasn't EASY access to entertainment options. Though there definitely still were, just not that much digital shit you could do alone at home. Besides videogames which were always huge.

Ontario has insurance problems, the praries are flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat and BC/west Alberta have no civilized human beings.
It's bad for car enthusiasm in Canada no matter where you go.

I had no one to show me anime. I discovered it myself. I liked those shows. I read about non tv anime shows in magazines. Gamers republic was the one i had a subscription to. Sure my dad helped get me into robotech because he was a huge scifi fan but he didnt know anything about anime. I found that shit out myself. I mowed lawns and saved all summer to buy those 30 dollar 3 episode vhs. I made bootlegs and sold them to share my shows with people who thought bdz was the greatest thing ever. I took that money and bought more tapes. Hobbies are something that you do. Not passively consume. Glad you had someone to get you into it. And the rave and electronica scene dove tailed in with anime pretty nicely back then. Still is today.

But yeah. It wasn't as easy as it is now. We are spoiled. I just wish more of those 90s era shows were on streaming services. Also I'd love to get a tape sharing ring started again. But now there is no need. The internet has made all that obsolete. Damn I'm feeling the nostolgia now.