| | A U T O | | D E T A I L | | G E N E R A L | | /adg/

There isn't enough discussion about taking care of cars on Veeky Forums. It's almost like most of you faggots are busriders who occasionally get to finger fuck your mom's Volvo. This thread is for the car owners who actually take pride in their vehicles and want to keep them looking great and protect their finishes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2nYF46P7B2c
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14985876/
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15054456
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I jizz in my soap buckets lol

What a friendly way to start a thread.

I use Griot's everything.

Oh look, another useless general.

Do you have a Griot's 6" R.O. polisher?

Yup, with the 25' cord. I've had it for a while now, very happy with it

>another useless general
>what is the best X and why is it Y
>FF why even live
>why is Initial D the way it is?
>Albanian driving music from 1983
>why does Veeky Forums hate/love memecar?

Did you always have it? I am currently using an all-in-one polish/wax thing I apply by hand but I feel like I'm wasting time and getting worse results by not dishing out for a DA polisher like that and polishing/waxing separately. It just seems like there are so many options in terms of products/pads and I don't want to fuck it up.

>Did you always have it?
Not always, but I never polished before I had it. I don't see how you could polish by hand though. Most of those all-in-one products are more of a fancy synthetic wax, so you're not actually correcting anything like you would by polishing.

>there are so many options in terms of products/pads and I don't want to fuck it up
It's really hard to mess up with a random orbital. Wash, clay, then polish, and use a mild polish to start. The pads have different levels of firmness, but most products should tell you which pad to match with which polish.

Opinions on meguiar's clay kits?

and for those who own convertibles with fabric tops, which products do you use?

I want to wash and seal my car's top before put my hardtop back on, im pretty sure the previous owner never cleaned it.

Not a bad idea fur a general desu looking forward to seeing where this goes

I used one a few weeks ago on my mustang. Liked it.

>fur

kill yourself, faggot

I've never buffed a car and i'd like to learn to

i've watched a whole bunch of videos, but don't actually own a buffer to practice

Where do i buy a decent buffer and pads? I'm sure vatozone won't have anything of quality.

I'll go to a junkyard tomorrow and buy a random fender to practice on when i get a b

Wow what are you so upset fur

hey guys, please don't shit up the thread, take it to another general.

Question for detailers. I've never handwashed my car before and I'd like to but I'm worried about damaging paint that is already scratched. The scratches are thin, small, and I don't believe they're deep.

Is it like paper where you risk expanding the scratch if you work over it? Will wax help protect it further? Should I use touch-up paint on the scratches after washing it? Should I/Do I need to clean my windows in addition to the paint + wheels?

Thanks for any help.

>Opinions on meguiar's clay kits?
Works for me.

Methinks ChrisFix has a video on both small scratches and handwashing a car

That channel is pretty good desu

here you go user, watch this.

youtube.com/watch?v=2nYF46P7B2c

only use touch up paint where the paint has completely come off, like with rock chips, not for normal scratches that only messed with the clearcoat.

most people just remove swirls and small scratches by waxing/buffing the car.

Meg's 105 and 205 are all you need, and an orange and yellow pad from Lake Country or chemical goys

Junkman videos are your friend.
Also,

>not importing JDM 3M clay

It's like you fools don't know anything about detailing.

Fuck, orange and white pad.

>There isn't enough discussion about taking care of cars on Veeky Forums.

There are always "taking care of your car" threads on Veeky Forums. Taking care of the car threads included detailing, selection of fuels, oils, oil filters, and tools.

All too often, the meme product detailing elitists come on and attack the people who do post detailed methods. They don't use details of their methods since they are only in the thread to attack anyone that might cause others to not not look up to elitist product usage. Typical elitist comments seen in multiple threads include "your method is shit" and "everything you said is wrong" or "never post again". Elitists also want people to remain unknowledgeable in general (hence no general knowledge threads) because that makes people dependent on meme brand products. Sure, in the absence of knowledge, going with the meme elite brand is a solid choice. But as the amount of knowledge increases, the meme elite product is not always the best choice in every circumstance and situation especially if someone wants to be practical at the same time.

Nevertheless, there are people who have tried. You should look up the past threads on topics such as:

1. what items do people keep in their car
2. what wax
3. what oil
4. what oil filter
5. detailing

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14985876/

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15054456

>I've never buffed a car and i'd like to learn to

The swirl marks come from atmospheric dust and the use of orbital buffing tools. While hand buffing is slow, it doesn't speedily make a mistake like a power tool orbital buffer does. The dealer's new car detailers know the wax will hide the swirl marks long enough for you to take legal possession of the car.

Just buy the clay, u don't need the fancy lubricant, just use water

If you're talking about swirls marks, don't worry, washing does not expand them

>Opinions on meguiar's clay kits?

A recent invention supersedes clay for the casual user as it needs no skill or reflexes. Imagine if clay could take the form of a convenient sheet of fabric and you could simply swish that sheet across the surface and pull out the embedded debris just like with a bar of clay. Nano skin/sheet is a type of such a product. There's also a nano bar by a different company. For now, they are more expensive than clay, but sooner or later, the chinese knock-offs will appear to drive down the prices. In one past Veeky Forums detailing thread, one user listed specific details on how he made and used his own "home made" version of nano to pull out debris embedded into the clearcoat.

Will u just FUCK OFF please with ur fucking commercial novels FUCK

Are professional detailers just a meme?

There's a detailing place nearby and it's the only place I see supercars in the wild, I'd kind of like to let them clean my car inside and out and then focus on maintaining it in that state and learning as I go because I really cannot be fucked cleaning out a 27 year-old luxobarge without any knowledge on how to do so as my first experience. What do you reckon?

>Are professional detailers just a meme?

They're not a meme as there are plenty with pride in their work and they describe what they do in their business. There are forums with detailing subforums containing advice & comments from them. Go and learn there.

Detailing is mostly a commodity service as it's available at so many places now (even at my local gas stations by entrepreneurs). Just because some places charges a fee for cleaning your car doesn't make them worthy of the fabled quality detailer meme label. The detail shops that go beyond a commodity service use specialty products and may even require curing time. The most expensive of such detailing services for supercars costs approx $7000 USD which is excessive for what is done, but users of such a service are also buying the cachet.

Detailers vary. Some I consider trash as they would be the ones that put in even more swirl marks with their orbital buffing. You wouldn't know until too late because the wax hides the swirls until the wax wears off.

The detailers at Good Chevolet at Renton Washington had one person drying a car with a light yellow orange clothlike sheet. It resembled that fake fabric chamois used for drying after it is quickly wringed dry each time. The other guy was drying and wiping any remaining grime with a large microfiber sheet. He let it drag on the wet ground as he wiped lower body panels AND THEN lifted it higher to wipe higher up on the doors, thus the part that was on the ground ended up on the car's painted surface. Is that professional detailing? Yes, he was paid, so it was a professional job as defined by the dictionary. But it seemed that Good Chevrolet had employees consider it to be just a job to get by. The dealership sure charges a bit for that basic "detailing" though.

>Will u just FUCK OFF please with ur fucking commercial novels FUCK

Calling 6 sentences a novel.

Your attitude illustrates the dark side of Veeky Forums elitists. They don't want general users to know about easy-to-use alternatives that break their elitism.

Nano skin is faster not better, clay pulls more shit from the clear than nanoskin does, with that being said, first application should be actually claying the car and every 6 months or so when you refresh the wax use the nanoskin to keep it clean. When I buy a car in clay it then use the nanoskin to keep up maintenance

Wow you're still butthurt because I said your turtle wax sucks?

I spent all afternoon getting my car ready for the weekend and now It's going to the dealership to get the transmission pulled for warranty work.

It's going to be there so long and get so dirty. hold me, Veeky Forums detailthread

>A recent invention supersedes clay for the casual user
That does read like an advertisement though

>wash car, rinse, soap lube with clay bar, rinse, dry car, wax on, wax off

> ITT GLORIFIED CAR WASHES

I can vouch for this post, I've used the nano skin shit at work and the clay bar still gives better results.

Nice way to fuck up the paintwork.

Real clay is actually very useful. It's necessary before polishing to prevent dragging deposits on your clear coat around on your paint.

I have no familiarity with this meguiars not-clay though, so I don't know if the same holds true there.

>I have no familiarity with this meguiars not-clay though, so I don't know if the same holds true there.

Clay needs a certain skill to use. So there is a risk of damage to the paint if not used properly. It also covers a fairly small area so you have to do a lot of wiping across the car and that means a lot of folding of the clay, reshaping of the clay to a flat surface before wiping again, etc.

>it's necessary before polishing
Washing your car is, clay bar is not.

Retard here
I'm scared of using an orbital
What stuff do I need to hand polish

Things that aren't flat, corners.

lol I meant I want to hand polish everything
What things do I need to buy

Yes it is. I'll teach you a trick.

Put a plastic bag (zip-loc) over your hand. Now touch your paint. If you feel little bumps, that's buildup on your paint and you need to clay.

Here we go again MrHack, just because you're a painter doesn't mean you know anything about paint correction, clearly.

Clay, 2 pass buff meguiars medium cut pad and medium compound, 2 pass polish, synthetic wax

Is a clay block good or bad?

Any good tutorials on buffing?

How long does it usually take you guys to wax a car?

I used to spend literally hours doing it, but I think I was doing it wrong. I used to apply it to every panel in tiny circles and heavily, then it took me forever to buff off as it was on there like concrete.

Last time I did it I dabbed the pad in the wax, drew a line across the panel, then rubbed the line of wax in in lines going across the original line, then finally finished the panel with circles. It came off way easier than usual and I managed to get the whole thing done in about 45 minutes start to finish.

It seemed like I was using too little, but it came out ok and water behaviour was as expected.

It takes me 20 minutes to wax a car with 50% overlap

I think it's a natural impulse to use a lot of wax at first, since it seems like that would lead to better protection/shine. All that extra just comes off with the wipe down though, so it really is product wasted.

Shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes to apply and wipe off, try and make one applicator pad with wax last for more than three panels.