Alicesoft/Rance General #531
Last thread: Nagi Nagi Edition

FAQ: pastebin.com/SiHaMJ5v
Previous Version of FAQ: pastebin.com/jumUkvv6
Read the FAQ before you ask questions.

Alicesoft Image Booru: haniho.booru.org/
Rance Game Translation Chart:
haniho.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=2536

Rance World Notes: mega.nz/#!nRESUJYZ!ZqoypfshkozVBFpeFGI3Oi5xBtU22SjnrnfjIo2SUGY

Remember to use spoilertags when discussing and posting images of plot elements, especially those of untranslated Rance games. Ignore and report any blatant shitposting, including nameshit
Check pastebin for FAQs, downloads and General Hints

Upcoming

Rance 5D, Rance VI (ENG) - Winter, possibly 2016. High resolution, decensored $35 bundle from Mangagamer

Rance X - Announced

Just Released

Tsumamigui 3 Extra
sukebei.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=2069021

Rance 01 OVA Episode 4
Raws
sukebei.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=2057092
Subbed
mega.nz/#!vMdTEbzI!MPOvbZ0pKh669t2GKtEi-fqa8JMu-FfHAXBOVrKu9PY

Recent Releases

Beat Blades Haruka (ENG)
buy from Mangagamer if you want to buy
sukebei.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=1949364
Physical Edition out 1th July 2016

Released In Last Year (See FAQ for downloads and info)

January 2016 - Tsumamigui 3 (JAP)
January 2016 - Rance 01 OVA Episode 3 (JAP/ENG)
October 2015 - Blade Briders OVA (JAP)
August 2015 - Rance 03 (JAP)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.mangagamer.org/2016/08/19/demons-in-funbag-fantasy/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Can Can

Woah. Did you cheat that?

That one is a cheat. This one is legit.

Alicesoft could probably make a pretty penny with a Widenyo Mobage.

Damn son. My Rance is still 380 or so.

Isn't there just that, a widenyo, coming to mobile?

Yeah, but we'll probably not hear anything on it until X is out at least.

They are making one. With the new characters.

>Execute

Wait what?

I didn't know. I left this general for several months.

My Rance is weak. Kouhime does a really good job killing stuff with the highest Counter Rate in the game.

That would imply that Evenicle 2 would suck in every regard relating to the first one, which isn't the best attitude to have concerning sequels.

Execute as in "execute the plan" I'd imagine.

It's the "Die Peruele" button.

Get executed, Peruele!

So how playable is Evanicle to someone who can't moon?

The Japanese is really simple and the game is really easy.

You can probably play after a few months learning with help from a hooker

I suspect just Atlas with appropriate dictionaries downloaded would be sufficient to complete the game though you'd have to trial and error all the skills

I'm pretty sure quite a number of people here played it without knowing moon. You'll probably get lost though.

To be honest, I'm not overly sure how they'll expand it in a way that captures the essence of the original. Evenicle had a very strong building of relationships and interactivity between the various girls as well as the MC, and now that that's already been built, how will the sequel use this and still create an equally interesting game? Like, I'm sure they'll introduce new girls, but if they get introduced into the central group, that'll dilute the depth it has, and if they don't, it'll cheapen their importance. Maybe they'll have to separate the original girls at least temporarily to give the new ones time in the limelight? Introduce new conflicts/backstories for the old girls to keep their storylines interesting and fresh? It'll be very interesting to see where they go with it.

They need to work on the whole thing about Felton being right and coming to a better solution.

Even if it might mean conflict with QD

What did he mean by this?

Don't use walkthroughs

It means you should stop using a guide.

The magic of sequels is that they don't have to capture the essence of the original. They build on it, and building on it can happen in a multitude of ways.

KANAMI

I just noticed Uruza's stats

What the heck

She is potentially the strongest of the Four Lords.

You can sell units in any troop for money, which is one of the best uses for prisoners. Capture enemy commanders, recruit a few with high negotiation which can then allows you to keep recruiting more and more people, wait for their armies to recover automatically (you regain some units in each troop every turn) and then sell them.

There's no real NEED to do this, just one of many min-max things you can do in the game. Another is hiring a bunch of disposable footsoldiers who can take hits for your more fragile and important units, where you don't care if they die in the process.

She's not considered one of the best units in the game for nothing user, and you can get her so damn early too. She's also one of the strongest commanders for dungeons and commander fights (level fucking 50 right from the start) and has a ton of action points.

Urza despite not being hugely relevant is one of the continents' best ass kickers.

SR balances around lore so expect to see some crazy ass differences.

She's regarded as one of the best units in the game for a reason.

SR marked the start of Leila's dive into irrelevance, which is sad since she's actually one of the better units that game.

What's up with Kibbles and Prokione both having lady tumors?

To be honest Leila was never really particularly relevant.

What?

Nah that was Quest. SR she just loses to a monster of a fighter, Kenshin. She was still very strong at this point. Tillday took away her only major selling point, being the strongest girl in Leazas.

Maris is the true strongest.

Leila is just yet another character that naturally became even less relevant as the games stopped focusing on Leazas

The devil princes have tumours that look like ladies. Kayblis has the same thing on his tail. It seems like some kind of inherent genetic condition to become more humanoid.

Strongest in service of military.

Lady tumors are usually what people call insanely huge breasts user.

>Kibbles
Love it.

I don't know, Leila getting the shafted is basically her character in a nutshell.

III: Her debut game has her getting mind-controlled by Ithere and then furiously masturbates as some kind of curse when separated with him or his Apostles. She joins in the sort-of final battle to get the snot beaten out of her by Noce.

IV: She shines as the strongest female close-ranged physical attacker but falls down a giant crevice, gets trapped in a mirror for like a quarter of the game and gets partially raped by Rance in a drunken stupor.

KR: Probably her happiest run, getting into a relationship with Rick. But still, there's the Nobunaga thing and she's a sacrificial lamb to get Julia and Aviator, which also uses Leila as a stepping stone to prove that she's more badass than her.

SR: Nobunaga'd 2: Electric Boogaloo and getting beaten up to prop Kenshin up.

Quest: Tilde.

IX: Rolex.

I just realized, the only person she hasn't jobbed against since her debut was Hubert (and Dens). And even then, they pushed her off into the canal.

It's more like Rick just got popular, while she...didn't. Every game made it a little worse. If she was actually popular, she probably would have shown up in and gotten a small arc in Quest then maybe another in IX instead of being spanked by Rolex. As it stands all she's really good for is establishing strong characters are strong.

Conflict with QD is going to happen at some point and it will be the best thing ever. She'll make such a glorious antagonist.

So, I found this article pretty appropriate in both Arunaru's thought patterns in his naming as well as him missing several important factors when deciding his names.

blog.mangagamer.org/2016/08/19/demons-in-funbag-fantasy/

Any chances of Evenicle getting translated by the end of next year, or the year after that? Sounds like it'd do really well.

We just don't know.

Maybe.

But I do think Escalayer will happen at some point soon

Got to consider that the reason Rick appeared in VI is because level caps mean you need good end game characters and Rick fits that perfectly.

Rick is also the most logical person for Lia to send to help Rance because he is the strongest and isn't a cute girl.

Maybe Oyako Rankan or Tsuma series. There's three(?) translators working at MangaGamer that's willing to do more Alicesoft stuff. Although, unless they get someone really into the nukige stuff from Alicesoft, it's more likely that we get stuff like Evenicle and GalZoo sooner.

Why?

Nukige sells. If they get the licence they will put someone on it

Oh, I already was. Just saying in general. You know you're kinda fucked as a character when you have a bad ending in one game, then in the sequel you aren't mentioned at all leaving people to assume you're actually dead. If she was even half as popular as say, Sen they would have at least made a point of mentioning she isn't dead.

Odd seeing my crappy doodles on the booru.
Oh well. Any ideas as for what to do next? I'll probably get to it tomorrow when I sober up and before it reaches 123 degrees.

They did. She was distinctly mentioned

This is why nobody in Japan ever thought she was dead

She wasn't mentioned until Magnum I'm pretty sure, and only then to explicitly confirm she wasn't dead.

In Magnum or Vanilla?

Alma gleefully holding shota Est

Because the translators themselves also have some say in getting licenses. Yurirei was more or less Maria begging to get it and so was Sona-Nyl.

Unless there's heavy demand for it from the fans, like Maggot Baits, a general request for the company itself might lead them to get the translators' opinion on which game to get.

I deleted my saves at some point.

One of Tilde's scenes

Yeah. Has great potential.

Also makes Aster's sisters relevant and maybe Millet

Who and who? Not as savvy with the entire Alicesoft roster as most anons here.

Huh. Never mind then.

Not him but look up Drapeko

Drapeko

I will give you the images in an hour or so.

Alternatively draw KD practicing his shitty quizzes on Kamilla

>Drakepo
I do not like it, personaly.

Alma was pretty much the best thing about it

If you say so. Images of her would be helpful if I do decide to do that either way.

Yeah I will pass them on when I get home

Well now to wait, I guess.

Any other ideas in the meantime?
Like Kanami ending up in Racoon City after chasing that damn dragonfly some more? Or something?

A hanny heckling Maria

It's interesting that the sisters were basically completely irrelevant to the plot despite seeming so important at the start.

So a Hanny booing Maria? The TL or the actual Maria?
The former seems funnier.

KD testing his quizzes on an irritated looking Kamilla

Actual. I don't pay attention to the other one. I was thinking just being a hanny at her, but booing works.

don't forget Khukul Khukul (or whatever it's translated as now).

Is she irritated at him or the quizes?

How does one be a Hanny at another? Shout MOE a lot and be an idiot?

I agree with that. Please take the time to read this part (pic related).

Both. He's like an annoying husband who can't sing for shit always singing in front of his wife.

Except in this cases it's quizzes

>Translating Mazoku as demon
So what? They are going to translate 神聖魔族 as Sacred Demon?

I liked Negima's "demonfolk"

>Choose a familiar word with established mental imagery
Okay, who among you actually has any kind of established mental imagery with "archfiend" and what it is? (beside the obvious Yu-Gi-Oh reference)

It also surprises me that he here picks demon instead of devil, since demons are the more brutish (chaotic) type whereas devils are more approachable (lawful). Calling someone a demon generally implies great evil and insanity, calling someone a devil implies they're manipulative, calling someone a fiend typically implies a kind of obsession.

So yea if familiarity is the goal consider the whole nameshit to be a massive failure.

Makes me wonder how he will translate 魔人 in the next entry of the series because that old man is certainly not a "Archfiend"

>old man is certainly not a "Archfiend"
I think you mean fiend but Fiend would be a terrible translation of a Mazoku that specialties in lightning magic while also being stupidly physically strong for a old man

He obviously doesn't care about D&D

Kind of silly considering how influential D&D is

Yes, but that's how it is. He thinks there is no clear distinction between devils and demons (which is true if you look beyond modern day fantasy stuff) despite most RPGs inheriting that distinction from D&D.

Instead, he got Archfiend from Dragon Warrior. (Which I haven't played, so can't say if that was a good idea or not)
If definitely doesn't sound good in my ears.

And yet D&D has probably done more to shape people's definition of fantastical concepts than shit like Lord of the Rings, and lawful/chaos is not a concept exclusive to D&D, they merely put that in the centerfold.

Even in Biblical terms Devils (Mephistopheles) are manipulative and subtle (temptations of the devil etc.), while demons take control of human hosts, demonic possession being a Christian "explanation" of insanity and (violent) sociopath behavior.

Suffice to say there's innumerable reasons to call the Demon King exactly that, since Miki demonstrates the characteristic traits of being a demon (previously kind/timid character becoming violent and destructive)

I see.

Also, as a side note: I hate drawing Kamilla's horns.

>There is no clear distinction between devils and demons
And that is an utterly ignorant and retarded sentiment, as even historically there is a VERY clear distinction between the two.

No one in their right mind would call Satan a demon for one thing. What surprises me is that no one else seems to have been able to explain the differences to him, there's a ton of distinctive devil and demon references in literature, culture and history.

They would be hard to draw

They are.
Getting them both done the same is impossible

I've never picked "Weaken Enemy Countries" before in SR, is it worth choosing? I'm curious

That seems to be a thing only in english. In my language, the equivalent of devil is only used for Satan, he is the only Devil. All the others, his underling are the demons. Fiend have no equivalent.

>In the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament, Satan is primarily an accuser and adversary, a decidedly malevolent entity, also called the devil, who possesses demonic qualities.

>For most Christians, Satan is believed to be an angel who rebelled against God. In the New Testament he is called "the ruler of the demons"

>The original Hebrew term satan is a noun from a verb meaning primarily "to obstruct, oppose", as it is found in Numbers 22:22, 1 Samuel 29:4, Psalms 109:6.[6] Ha-Satan is traditionally translated as "the accuser" or "the adversary". The definite article ha- (English: "the") is used to show that this is a title bestowed on a being, versus the name of a being. Thus, this being would be referred to as "the satan".[7]

Apparently, that clear distinction was lost for the people writing stupid shit on Wikipedia.

Reduces enemy troop size, I doubt it's worth it but if you're struggling against the demon army blitzkrieg or something it might just make the difference.

In actual English the Devil distinctly refers to an individual figure and his underlings are demons.

Saying he is a demon would be like saying God is an angel

It isn't, it reduces the total enemy troop size but I don't know by how much, you can pick a lot better options.

Yeah I agree with Aru, the concept of using devil and demon to classify two completely different beings is stupid. To most people they're basically the same thing.
With that said Fiend is no better.