Worth launching car app?

Hey Veeky Forums, I'm close to launcing a car app that gives users measurements when they want to put on new rims or tires. It would show you how big or small you can go on your car without ruining it.

Is it worth it?

No, people should stick with the recommended factory sizes or have the intelligence to figure out what will work well with their car themselves if they stray from the design.

Yes. Do it.

Thats what the companies suggest but there is a huge population that stance their cars or change their tires/rims

There could be serious legal implications for you or your company. Supplying information that contradicts a manufacturers recommendation could leave you open to legal challenges from government agencies. If a consumer uses your information then is injured in any sort of accident, they could sue you for contributing to the accident whether your tire/wheel recommendation was at fault or not. Once you claim to be an expert and you supply information for people to modify their cars away from the manufacturers specification, you then take on the same level of liability as a manufacturer. Now, lots of magazines and tire stores do the same thing. But the liability is shared in an entertainment medium in magazines (and they all have disclaimers on their publishers information page) or for the sale of equipment which pushes the responsibility to the consumer to make the choice from many options. But as a company, you would be making recommendations that a consumer is supposed to trust as an expert recommendation.

These are very litigious times we live in so be sure and consult a qualified attorney before you publish an app that offers "expert" information that contradicts a manufacturers specification.

If you're close to launching why would you not? Who finishes 99% of a project and then says nah fuck it

Why do you need to make it an app? Make a website instead where you can just look up your car. Or just make a table. An app seems too complicated and I don't know if people would need it enough to install it and keep it on their phone.

>app

Pretty much this, people don't want to install apps anymore.

Make it a mobile-first site, and if you really want to, just make a cordova build. That way every phone can access your site, not just whatever platform you would've made the native app on.

Do it please, that would help me out a lot.

>Rims

You could presumably avoid all this with a good bit of legal text. Make sure that the consumer knows it's for offroad/racing use only.

This. You'll only use the app's information once, which makes installing it a barrier towards usage.

So how many wheel wells have you measures OP? Where are you getting your data?

I doubt the functional part of it would be that much different between an app and website

Great op. I will download it. Use it once. Then never use it again. Great business idea. Not.

What the other people are saying, you might want to add more functionality to make you app more relevant

Think of all the common measurements and calculations people who wrench on their cars have to do

>An app seems too complicated
People make apps because the app can keep on pumping advertisements. As for telling users, they have all kinds of different cars with differing amounts of clearance in their wheelwells when the tire is TURNED. Depending on custom rims, when the tire is turned, the amount of clearance might not be enough even though there is enough clearance in the wheel well if the tire is never turned. The space that manufacturers allot also includes the various different struts and adjustments certain expected aftermarket products might use up as well. Your app might not take into consideration the "perfect storm" COMBINATION of products violating the clearance. Thus your app kills their tire and fender.

This is one reason why your all users all tires all cars app seems half baked and can give info that damages peoples' cars.

>I'm close to launcing a car app that gives users measurements when they want to put on new rims or tires.

The tire needs the most clearance when it is turned a large amount, the car is moving forward, and the car hits a pothole or speedbump. Because it is no longer inside the wheelwell, if there is not enough clearance, the part of the tire protruding outside the wheelwell may hit the fender if someone sized their tire and rims to the max limit allowed by the app for a wheelwell only measurement.

My manufacturer allows a slight adjustment of height, so technically a user could do that legitimate change as well. But that would increase the chance of a badly sized wheel and tire combination to not fit properly when turning and a pothole or bump occurs.

Does your app account for the different struts and shock replacements out there? Or do you require only OEM replacements and repairs in order for your app to be valid? I assume you refuse to do calculations for stanced, lowered, or other types of cars as well.

Your app must also accommodate poorly maintainanced cars. The manufacturer does in that he doesn't create a wreck trap if any one single problem occurs. Ha, ha, well, the previous hundreds of lawsuits probably convinced the manufacturer of that approach too. ha ha

>Is it worth it?

I assume your app has the usual disclaimer "This is provided for your entertainment and all problems to your tires, wheels, fenders, or car that occur are your fault. No warranty is offered for appropriateness or usability." It's sort of the same warranty a rapist gives his victim "It's all your fault no matter the source".

>car came with aftermarket widebody
>"gee I wonder why my fitment is horrible?"

Better add in stretch tire fitment for the hellaflush kiddies

Also spring, coilovers setup, who loves wheel rubbing