Fuck alternators

Why do these things fail all the time and why are they so fucking expensive?

How is this any harder to make than the motor off a $50 drill press?

>yfw it isn't actually the stator and rotor itself that are expensive and unreliable, but the rectifier

>fail all the time
???

If you didn't drive a piece of shit it wouldn't happen.

>complains about alternators

>post picture of a turbo

Seriously Family KYS

This. What's even worse, that in many cases the parts actually cost peanuts, but is mounted in a contraption where you cant just replace the electronics.

The bearings blew up on my alternator.

Toyota quoted me $450 for a new one
Part source $265 for a rebuilt
A local store manned by poo in loo quoted me $110 for who knows what

There's a auto wrecker nearby, should I even bother calling them?

That's a turbo you big dummy

>30 year old alternator breaks after decades and miles of use
>It lived a long and hard life
>gets replaced by a $30 Autozone piece of shit
>breaks
>warranty it for the same piece of shit again
>breaks
>load up Veeky Forums
>Why do these things fail all the time and why are they so fucking expensive?

>Not using dorman parts with a lifetime warranty

The entire front end on my old dodge was done with dorman parts. Didn't last long but I was able to beat the hell out of it wheeling and replace them for free. Eventually rebuilding the front end took less than a couple hours.
>Go out with friends and beat on the truck all night
>Drive home and put it on the hoist
>Inspect truck for damage
>As it was my trail rig I'd wait until multiple parts were damaged

>Alternator fails
>Pull it apart and find the rectifier has one diode shot
>Order parts, rectifier, slipring, brushes and bearings, ~30
>Drive wintercar for a week and rebuilt the thing as parts arrive
>Slap it back with new idlers and belt
>Find diode for peanuts and swap it into old rectifier
>Wait another 14 years until it fails again
>Fucking Magneti Marellis

Loving this summer so far

wait, this is a turbo? damnit i wanted an alternator tattooed onto my shoulder.. my artist dun did fucked up

Vatozone alternators have lifetime warranties. For that matter, so do their steering and suspension parts. Pretty much all their parts, except wheel bearings.

Ooga booga

>Buy Mechman alternator
Problem solved

But that's a turbo...

Since when was being retarded/baiting the newest dank meme?

You MUST be new here.

It's been a meme for a few years

this guy hasn't seen the legendary tattoo...

Idk but it's pretty gay thinking new anons are as stupid as Veeky Forums.

Found a used alternator from a local wreck, $63. I'm thinking the poo in loo shop is also quoting me a used one.

Idk what to do, or buy the rebuilt with warranty.

>fail all the time
>???

If you keep a car long enough, you will need a new water pump/thermostat, new alternator, new front brake calipers, new spark plugs, and even a new fuel pump. Even long life parts wear out.

I can't seem to get to the last plug, so the dealer will manage to victimize me for a set of platinum plugs. It's one of those laughable situations where parts cost one penny, but the labor costs one dollar. Scale it up and that's plugs in my car. Did the manufacturer do things like that to build in service profits for their dealer chain? That's the real question instead of "why do alternators fail all the time?".....

Let me break it down for you

If the alternator is in an easy to access spot for changing
>Buy the reman with the warranty

If the alternator is going to be a PITA to change
>Throw your hard earned sheckles at the expensive model

The alternator is right at the front held by 2 bolts, I took it off b4 when I changed my waterpump.

The remanufactured with warrant is $265, the ones off crash damaged cars are the cheap ones, and the fucking japan made shit is $450 fuck that.

The car in question, only 28k kilometers apparently. Better than mine which was a salvage title at 95k I'm pretty sure.

>expensive and fail all the time
>bought an $80 alternator at lordco 5 years ago
>the car died before the alternator did

The fuck are you doing that you keep needing to replace them? Seriously, I've never had an alternator go on anything I've owned. I had to replace the voltage regulator on my S10, but that's it.

Maybe he has a big aftermarket stereo blasting dat bass and sucking power 24/7.

You know Toyota and other companies sell the bearings so you can rebuild the current one it's not hard you can probably find a diagram online

It's a Toyota so most likely just the bearings they constantly go bad on the 4 cylinders

It's usually the brushes that fail.

Cool thing if you have an older ford with a voltage regulator bolted to the back of it is you can just pop off the regulator and service the brushes and replace the regulator while you're in there without having to tear down the alternator.

Don't got time or the tools to push out and press in a bearing.

Just got a new job I start on monday and have to drive 60km each way.

Tensioning the belt seems to have stopped the grinding noise for now. I loosened the belt and grabbed the hub and it was moving up and down freely and wobbling side to side.

Hopefully this shit holds up on my drive out to pick up a replacement.

because the turbine blades and components have tight tolerances.

Just see if you can get one on rock auto. They usually have core charges with these things too

>new alternator for 'vette costs $550

>replace brushes myself with similar shaped brushes from Grainger industrial for $15

Feels good, family.

Take it to the store and get it rebuilt by the poo, it'll be fine for another 20 years.

>a few years

Try eight, you summerfriends act like this place didn't exist before you got here.

Shit, how hard is it to press out some bearings, take them to the nearest bearing house, buy new and press them in?

Whiny bitches, lrn2workoncars

I went with poo in the loo, the stupid auto wreckers apparently didn't even keep the parts at the wrecking yard and needed 3 days to get it.

I think my alternator was probably ok because it spun smoothly, but the hub wobbled all over the place which makes me think the nut that holds the hub on probably came loose. Didn't realize this possibility until I saw the replacement because the hub on mine was capped with a rubber plug which hides the nut.

Well I said fuck it and replaced it anyways since they drove the replacement in from the supplier while I was pulling out the old one which turned out to be a shitty denso unit. Can't say the replacement is any better, it's some no name SAP branded remanufacture.

$110 all in all which is ok as long as it lasts me until I dump this car.

>waterpump/tsat
>alternator
>calipers
>fuel pump
>not lasting years
???

>spark plugs
>being difficult to change
>not lasting at least 3 years minimum
???

I do all my own shit, but I don't find these things nearly as prone to failure as you make them sound. My jeep has 143k miles and I barely changed the stock waterpump 3k miles ago and that was just because I was replacing the fan and fan relay so I figured I'd do the whole cooling system while I had it apart.

>eight years

Holy shit, that was eight years ago? I've been here too long.

...so rebuild the alternator? They aren't that complicated.

>spark plugs
>being difficult to change
That depends on the car. #11 and 12 on a BMW M73 are a stone bitch, as is #1 and 3 on a transverse EcoBoost V6.

But yes, some are stupid easy. (BMW V8, for example - M62)

A lot of people don't realize how easy it is to chang plugs when you have the right equipment or do simple things like removing the valvecovers.

>fail all the time

The alternator on my 245DL survived 32 years of abuse and its replacement (installed at home) cost $45 and came with a 5 year-warranty.

>$100-$200
>expensive
poor detected.

Did you not read the thread, $100-$200 gets you some shady rebuilt part from some indians. $200 -$400 gets you brand name rebuilt with warranty and $450 gets you a new one from toyota.

>grandfather gives me car in his will
>car had stock alternator problems at 70k miles
>replace is kragen piece of shit (this was way back when kragen was not kill)
>piece of shit dies in 3k miles
>lifetime ensured
>every 3k miles i have to replace my alternator
>go on Veeky Forums
>see a thread about shitty alternators
I just bought an alternator from the stealership, its not worth spending so much time on alternators that just die and die over again get yourself a better one if it continues to die dont be a dumb nigger

>why are they so expensive
copper

it's usually just the regulator that breaks, not the actual mechanical aspects of the alternator

Did you not read the thread? Go shop somewhere that isn't Goldstein Shekelberg's Auto Parts Emporium and you can get a brand new alternator with warranty for

Just replace the bearings then you inbred. Hardly fucking rocket surgery

Must be driving some special snowflake.
Even my special snow flake OE alternators are sub $300.
If you go to the dealer of course they'll be double or triple the price of a normal one.

You cannot in keknada, everything is owned by goldsteins and shekelbergs. 95% of our land still belongs to the queen of england.

You probably force them in the shower for a better price.

>implying I'm not from soviet canuckistan

Go to fucking Lordco and ask them for an alternator. I got a brand new 70A unit for my RX7 from them a couple years ago for $85, tax included. Still works perfectly fine today.

>BC

Yeah if you didn't realize everything in canada is shipped into vancouver and distributed by rail and between BC and here a premium gets added. Also the price of shit nearly doubled from a couple of years ago.

but thats a turbocharger

>replace the bearings
requires special tool, fool

>A lot of people don't realize how easy it is to chang plugs when you have the right equipment or do simple things like removing the valvecovers.

You skipped a lot of things right there with the oversimplified way you worded things. While a bit worse, it would be like saying "why do they charge so much? All he did was wash his hands, pull the bullet out, shove the bones back together, pinch the wound shut, and for all that he wanted 18,000 USA dollars? It's UNregulated capitalism. Charge what the market will bear.

I've never had one fail on me, not sure what you're cucking about.

Make it yourself, it's the Jews trying to get your shekels. Slap 4 diodes and maybe a capacitor in there and you'll be set.

No it doesn't you stupid cunt. Unless you class a hammer and socket as a special tool.

>Vatozone wanted like $199 for some shitty rebuilder
>Orlys was like $210 for a rebuilt
>Rockauto was like $280 for an Ac Delco + shipping
>Found the same Ac Delco on amazon for $230. Ordered it on a Saturday and got it Tuesday afternoon with prime
>Pulley was a little dinged because the shipping monkeys had no idea how to pack it
>So far its been fine

to be honest that's the only thing that could fail except maybe the bearing