Torque converter

Sup faggots.
Any of u fucks run a cam on a high stall torque converter??

Hows it feel driving is it really as fun / worth the $$$ as ppl say ???

>implying anyone on this board does anything except cosmetic mods and bolt-ons

Hello Australia, could you please rephrase the question with actual words?

Thanks.
Signed, yours truly, America.

My cousins ss tb runs a 3300 stall with a custom ground boost cam. That fucking truck is a monster from a dig.

99 Z28 here

3600 stall converter
Tick performance sns stage 3 cam
3.73 gears.

The thing hauls the mail now. Way worth it. Wouldn't recommend daily driving it though. And your 4l60 is going to blow up, it's just a matter of time

Thats my biggest concern though by getting a stall. I have a 224 cam in there now (not too big of a cam) and getting a yanks 3000 stall converter .. It's such an expensive job if it shits out on me or the tranny that i kinda dont wanna do it out of fear of having to shell out this kinda money again. I wouldnt be beating on it though and would add a trans cooler + heard yank is a top notch quality manufacturer

Op here again, i also would be DD'ing it, but like i said only 3000 stall and a milder cam

What gearing is in your car now? Steep gears help with driveability when you've got a large cam and converter. The one in my car is a 235/243

Changing a converter isn't really that hard if you've got some mechanical know how. The hardest part is getting the top bolts off the bellhousing. But yes, you need a much larger cooler. How many km are on the 4l60 in your car? The 4L60 isn't the best transmission ever but mine is surviving with regular beatings, although I'm fully prepared for when it explodes

Do the rear end gears first and go from there, if you don't care much about streetability go 4.11+

4.11s are going to be way to much for a 4L60. They have a crazy steep 1st gear.

3.73s with a 4L60 are roughly equivalent to a TH400 with 4.11s

55k miles on tranny, I actually don't know the gearing.. Recently purchased. I wanna stock but every time i give that answer ppl say it varies even on same models ..

I was also told a 224 cam is mild enough to get away w. A stock stall so i was contemplating just not even doing it because thats how bad i dont wanna deal with expensive repairs in the future, but im gonna do it anyways because i hear nothing but great things about how fun it makes ur car to drive

*i want to say stock

Is that [email protected]"? Because 224 total seems extremely mild...

Im going to be honest w you i really don't know.
Ive only a few days ago started researching the subject but even though i been reading non stop my knowledge is still limited

All i know is previous owner has a Texas speed 224 cam in there. Between asking around like im doing now and calling up the manufacturer they told me that size cam is basically kind of border line on whether it requires a converter. They said its not technically required but highly recommended.

I dont mind adding a converter my main concern is the added repair bills down the line from the chance of this shitting out on me or smoking my trans

That thing should be fine to jam a converter in. Change the fluid and filter. Add a cooler. Mine has 130,000km on it. But yes with that mild of a cam you should be fine without changing the converter

You can determine which gear ratio by checking the RPO code on the sticker found on the driver's door jamb. 2.73 = "GU2" and 3.23 = "GU5". If the sticker is not present you can check the driveshaft; an aluminum shaft = 3.23 and a steel shaft = 2.73 (this is of course assuming everything is still stock).

OP once you start tinkering with things stuff will break. Better to accept it now. That's just they way things are, gotta pay to play

Ok wonderful thanks
Not near my car now but when i do check the gearing, what will it mean ? Whats the difference between the 2 ?

Also , i will most likely add a converter just because i bought this car as a summer toy so if its going to be a toy it might as well be fun to drive. As for reliability concerns I have heard nothing but good things about yank converters and will def add a cooler. Plus like i said this is my summer toy/weekend cruiser not like im gonna be racing around or beating on it or anything.. Cant afford to wreck it or another ins surcharge anyways so i have no choice but to drive conservatively

2.73s better for highway cruising, fuel economy. Won't accelerate as hard
3.23s better for city driving, less fuel economy. Accelerates harder

Thats the extremely basic version.

Yank is an extremely well known company. I wouldn't worry about their products

Why does it differ between the same model ?? Thats kind of fucked dont u think ? Did ppl have the option to chose which off the dealer or were they given whichever at random?

If it was an option when buying new makes sense if not than thats retarded

Yes it was an option people could choose between when new.

The 3.23 was considered more of a performance gearset so more uplevel cars came with it. But if someone just bought the car as a daily driver and did lots of highway driving the 2.73s would be way more practical

I honestly think those trans ams are such great looking cars , even today
(Wish mine came in red though i hate white but thats the best deal i found. Whites starting to grow on me)

my Camaro is white, bought it because it was a crazy good deal (here in Canada anyways) I wanted a red one too

I love the white now since you hardly ever see it. When did you buy the car?

exactly one week ago now that i think about it...