2002 Audi A4: Need help

Hey guys, I know you're not my personal mechanics but I need advice.

I just graduated highschool, and I've been looking around for cars that I can buy for cheap that look/run decent. I've rested my gaze on the 2002 Audi A4, it has everything I want in a car. It's aesthetically pleasing, it looks pretty new for its year, and it's got a nice sound to it.

I found a deal on craigslist, and I want to know if you guys think its worth it. It's a 2002 Audi A4, 5 speed manual transmission. Has 294000 kms from highway driving, and the guy is selling it for $2200 (Canadian)

I've sent him an email since and he says hes a mechanic and he's taken care of it, says there are no issues with it mechanically or physically.

Is it worth it? What are some things I should look out for? I know this is super cheap of me but since Im young, what is a good way I could get him to bring the price down for me?

Thanks a lot in advance

Other urls found in this thread:

vancouver.craigslist.ca/search/cta?query=saab
indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5627642909.html
vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5618230154.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you can only afford $2k DO NOT BUT A USED GERMAN CAR.
I REPEAT
DO
NOT
BUY A USED
G
R
M
N
CAR

It's a used entry level luxury model. An A to B shitbox that likes the taste of premium fuel and costs an arm and a leg for parts.

It isn't worth it.

I only want to put 2000 on the car itself. I still live with my parents and everything so I dont really have any financial burdens to worry about as of now. Plus Im working, so I can afford maintenance and whatnot as long as it's not TOO hefty.

Yeah? No?

Here in Vancouver, used and "for-parts" Audi A4s are all over the market, so finding parts shouldnt be too bad. Not to mention, I've never crashed or damaged a car, so parts isnt a very big concern to me. I just need something that I can daily drive while not looking like a poorfag.

read the following word carefully.
don;t.

>I just need something that I can daily drive while not looking like a poorfag
So you picked a used entry level luxury model. Nothing screams "I'm a poorfag trying to look well-off" like used entry level luxury.

Okay, then what kind of car do you guys recommend?

Some new boring A to B car, as opposed to an old one. That puts you in the safe "remarkably average" bucket. Are you looking to look like a regular person or do you want people to think you've got cash?

lowest mile cleanes civic u can find
you are poooooor :(

Saabs are selling for really cheap, and the B235 engines are bulletproof as long as they've had regular synthetic oil changes and PCV updates (pre-2004 model years)

I want to be somewhere in between. I don't care to look rich, but I want people to look at my car and think "okay, that's a pretty nice car", even if it means doing some modding. Plus, $2000 doesn't give me many options.

If you ever catch me in a civic, just cut my penis off and shove it down my throat, because that'll be the rock-bottom point in my life.

Ehh, no one sells saabs here in Vancouver.

Kill yourself. A civic is what you need. There's nothing wrong with it besides no having much passing power.

Just say no to Civics. Unless it's an Integra GS-R.

On a trip to the grocery store (which is 2km from my house) and back, I counted 37 civics. They're the most poorfag cars to ever be created. I don't want it.

get 2 corollas

Or I could just drink bleach.

This.

Get over it you faggot.

vancouver.craigslist.ca/search/cta?query=saab

Kys op. Noone is ever going to look.at your $2k and be impressed. For $2k you should just be happy that people don't throw up when they see it. As others said, an old a4 makes you look like a poor tryhard, and they are a bucket of shit.
t. mechanic

user's are unfortunately right

Audi auto boxes of the era are unreliable, and from my knowledge only the 1.9 TDi and 1.8T are in any way reliable.

Mine is the 2.5 TDi V6, pic related is what happened when the fuel pump took a shit, and thats in pounds (UK).

Watch out for sludge.
Parts are expensive.
Control arms go bad.
Coolant flange breaks.
B6 looks really dated these days. Pic related. My B6.

Set the price limit to 2000 and see the difference.

"even if it means doing some modding". There are super basic cars for 2k that you can mod and make look decent.

Jesus fucking Christ you are the epitome of a stupid entitled kid. You have $2,000 to spend and you'd piss on a Civic, which is all you can really afford.

Buy a used jap car that isn't beat to hell. Keep it stock, keep it clean and keep it running well. NO ONE gives a shit what you drive as long as it isn't some clapped out shitbucket. Work and save your money to buy something good later on.

Or you can ignore everyone in this thread and buy that used up Audi. Frankly, I hope you do just so you know what it feels like to fuck up so badly so early in life and maybe, just maybe learn a little humility.

those headlights look black, is that an S4 or did you just paint them yourself? was it hard?

>"even if it means doing some modding". There are super basic cars for 2k that you can mod and make look decent.

No, there isn't. You will look like a poor fag who tarted up an old banger heap of shit. People may look, but they will be looking out of pity.

Hasn't anyone said it yet? I'll do it!

>lol audi

Nothing wrong with an Audi. Just an old, piece of crap base model isn't very impressive or reliable.

Nothing wrong?

How about, being nothing more than rebadged VWs with an upmarketed price tag for fools like OP that want to "look rich"?

Implying there aren't models that are different to their vw cousins? Seriously mate, if you have absolutely no clue, don't pretend that you do.

lol dude...no.

Im not implying. Its reality.

Vast majority of audis are plain vws with different clothes. Only a small percentage has been made to received exclusive engines has to pertain the idea to the plebs that audis are exclusive. And that small percentage is nowhere near significant in the whole number of audis circulating.

So nah, they're not special in any way and in 99% of cases they're nothing more than a vw with a different set of panels and plastics.

Which some entitled schmuck was tricked into buying thinking it was special.

I never said they were special. They are nice cars though. And plenty are different to vws.

No.

Plenty are not different to VWs.

Plenty are exactly the same car underneath the metal and plastic with a different format.

The perceived "niceness" is pure marketing ingrained in your mentality.

Any other product that had the same characteristic without the same amount of marketing audi had and you would refuse to pay a cent more for a "fake" superior product, which as it turns out is exactly the same.

dude don't try to explain to an audi owner how their cars aren't on the same tier as bmw or merc. we all know.

You may know. And good for you. A large number of others don't and act as if they're somehow superior.

I'm yet to realize, having owned vags and working with vag cars for a life, what makes some people truly think audis are in any way even comparable to mercedes.

I'm not sure why people have a hard on for low level beemers and mercs either. The compressor mercs were shit. 4 banger BMWs are shit and leak oil like its going put of fashion. i had to do timing chains and vvt gears in a 2012 turbo 4 banger merc the other day, with impeccable service history.

marketing and leather famalam.
That I don't get either. In the US at least all they ever gave us was the 318 and BMW quickly learned that was a mistake. The kompressors permanently ruined Mercedes image for me.

>epitome of a stupid entitled kid

Dude, I just want to buy myself a decent looking car, I don't know why the fuck you're sweating so hard. If I was "entitled", I'd have been complaining about how $2000 isn't enough to buy a decent car (oh wait, that's exactly what YOU'RE doing, you halfwit.)

I happen to give a shit about what I drive. I have friends that I meet up, and summers coming so I'm gonna be meeting broads that I don't want to be picking up in a fucking 2002 honda civic, thank you very much.

We've established the fact that I won't buy the audi. I'm just asking for some alternatives that are at least decent looking cars with some luxury to them.

None, you retard. You have $2k, by a reliable Japanese shitter. Anything else will make you look like a tryhard loser. Girls don't give a fuck what car you have anyway.

2001-2004 audi petrol engines often do that thing that we call "inhaling false air" which is noticed by it running unevenly. Very common, check for that. Oil ventilation tube can freeze up in winter leading to a buildup of pressure and sudden loss of oil.
Always check alignment and breaks.

The 1.9 diesel is the best buy. The 2.5 TDI is a death sentence.

This. My dad had a A4 1.9 tdi for 12 years and never had a problem. My first car was a 2004 golf IV with the same engine, torquey enough and runs fucking fine. Virtually nothing to do on that engine.

>be driving muh Audi
>see Tiguan waiting to turn right
>slam the brakes on and flash to let him in
>twat in red Merc behind assumes he is also being let in and starts to turn
>redline clutch drop muh V6 Quattro and speed into him
>he is forced to brake and wait like everyone else as I fly past

Sorry buddy I only let in VAG owners.

>fuccboi OP: "guys should I get this old Audi"
>Veeky Forums (the voice of reason): "no buy a civic or something you can afford"
>fuccboi OP: "But I want to look rich!! "

Just buy the shitty audi you fag; don't come crawling back to Veeky Forums asking for some anons to diagnose your inevitable electrical gremlins or glaring mechanical failiures.

p.s. there's nothing more pathetic than a young tryhard kid trying to be something he is not

>this nigga didn't let me in
>his window is open
>throw my starbucks into his cabin
get fucked kid

Get a Lexus if you want a luxury brand.

Or a pre-E90 BMW.

Used to own one for 4 years, pic related, 2.5 tdi fwd
Power steering leaked badly, coolant was slowly dripping somewhere, car had some weird camber issues which was wearing my tyres out, worn bushings etc, and the worst thing - the multitronic tranny failed
Not worth it desu, i'd suggest a BMW E36 or E46 for simillar prices

That engine by now is something akin to the stone age. They were good yes, they had their time. They are outdated noisy and slow by now. Especially noisy.

yeah my lil bro got my golf and it's a fucking tractor. Quite slow too, but as I said, torquey enough so quite fun as a 1st car.
Great mileage too

I was already half a mile down the road before he could even comprehend what just happened, he couldn't handle the violent V6 diesel acceleration

BUY A LEXUS LS400 WITH UNDER 250,000 KM ON IT AND YOU'LL GET MORE THAN 3 MONTHS OUT BEFORE YOU HAVE TO SPEND DOUBLE WHAT YOU PAID SOURCING PARTS AND THEN GETTING RAPED BY A MECHANIC BECAUSE YOU 100% CANT FIX IT YOURSELF

Mommy and daddy won't pay your bills forever.

that's not true for the ls400

friend drives one and he doesn't have any issues with reliability; that car is a trooper.

> %100 can't fix yourself
> assuming a god tier lexus owner can't wrench

> 250000 km killing a lexus
> a popular automotive journalist that thrashes his car has one with over a million miles and ticking

>hey I only want to spend around 2k on a car, what should I get
>ok, get a cheap reliable car
>lol no that's for poorfags

Veeky Forums is not your personal psychiatrist either, go do some therapy if you can't listen to reasonable advice.
The best you can do when you're poor is to get something cheap that doesn't break down often, so you don't get poorer fixing it.

OP you are poor as fuck. The car you are going to get is dirt cheap, at least get a nice car and not one that satisfies your pretentious ego

> OP a poorfag who wants to look like he has money

Where do you work? Where do you live? Do you have fucking metro pcs? You are scum. Utter scum.

TST babies his LS400 tho

> everyone itt saying audi shit tier, nignog tier, rebadged VW...

> bought a4 because wanted awd, every other subie was riced out and overpriced or autotragic tranny...

k

What does Veeky Forums think of this cheap beater for college

indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5627642909.html

battlewagon

>is poor
>is stupid
>but i don't wanna stupid civic, that's for poorfags!

just get your worthless parents to chip in more money and if they ask why just tell them you hate them. then storm off to your room, slam the door, and turn up the latest drake record to full volume cuz you ain't no poorfag

Buy Ford, GM, Dodge, Toyota, or Honda. You don't sound like you can afford high end maintenance.

"nice looking" is all aesthetic. You should buy a car based not only its looks, but most importantly it's functionality and cost of repairs. An user earlier showed what he had to pay when his fuel pump went. If you had a vehicle of the ones I presented, you would've paid1/4th that price.

German cars can be reliable, but they need to be taken care of THEIR ENTIRE lifespan to make that true.

>Battlewagon
So good idea then?

have a 03 a4, went to stealership for new dipstick because old one snapped in half. $75. noped the fuck out.

now THATS a good buy. About 5 times as much street cred as OP's shitty A4

the grand father of friend has change the turbo five times on his A6 V6 TDI

there was an 03 Allroad for sale online, asking about 3000 CAD. high kms.

> 2 turbos

> air suspension

> audi

i prayed for whoever's wallet bought that car.

a week or so later i see one out in the parking lot at wally world and some young arabs are driving it... live in small city so i'm %90 it was the same car.

My car (08 Charger SXT) doesnt even HAVE a dipstick.

I made my own.

>Girls don't give a fuck what car you have anyway.

Have you ever been outside??

Thank you for the decent advice.

>But I want to look rich

I don't want to look rich, I just dont want to look poor. That's all.

Mommy and daddy are paying my bills til I get my degree, then I'll pay mommy and daddy's bills. I have time.

I'm down to settle for something that isn't top of the line, but I'm at least looking for a DECENT cheap car. Not a civic or a corolla or something nasty. I'm positive there are better cars than that for under 2k.

Lmao what

I work construction for now making 18/hr, after the summer I'll be studying full time. I live in Vancouver BC, which, FYI, is the second most expensive city to live in in the world. What the fuck is metropcs?

The $2000 is my own money, not my parents'.

>This level of reading comprehension

I was telling him to buy a Lexus with below 300,000 because then if he treats it right he could easily get another 100,000

Where the fuck does the "new bmws are shit because they dont have dipsticks" meme come from then??

>Have you ever been outside??

Sure have. I've pulled girls in a fucking baby blue banger Volvo 244.

Any girl that's impressed by your $2k heap of shit would be a filthy aids ridden crack whore

Girls genuinely don't give a shit about your car as long as it's not disgusting or unless it costs six-figures. And even in the case that they do like your car, that's just the foot in the door; you can do the same thing by just dressing nice.

And for two grand you're not gonna be able to get anything fancy that won't run you thousands in repair bills. You should get a decent condition Corolla/Civic or a less-than-decent condition Lexus. You have only two grand and this is your first car. Buy a commuter car, and then later when you can afford something nice, buy something nice.

Also, those Audis are junk. Unreliable and no more luxurious than the Passats they're rebadged from.

>vag cars

So you want to impress girls. Different ballgame now, son. The car won't score you any more points but you can still lose them in this round.

Clean is king, here. Discarded food packets and shit will put chicks off. A filthy shitbox will not impress, either. Your 240SX rice rocket might be cool to Miguel and the lads, but girls just see an old deathtrap. The A4 would be suitable here, if you could afford to maintain it. The previous owner is a mechanic, meaning he isn't bled as hard since he can wipe his own ass. A cleaner, newer Camry or something would be just as effective in this round.

You seem to have forgotten that I've just turned 18. Meaning I'm pulling chicks 16+, and they're not crackwhores either lmfao. My friend owns a 94 325i and they're digging it just cause it's a BMW. As long as it has brand name and it roars, they fall for it.

I guess when it comes down to it, I could possibly get myself a clean civic or an accord, but N E V E R a corolla. Corollas are like the ugliest cars ever invented in my opinion (yes, uglier than the Pontiac Aztek and the PT Cruiser.) They just scream "IM A CHINESE LEARNER DRIVER", especially in vancouver.

But I can't really get a newer camry with $2000. My friend drives a 2014 camry and it looks nice, but the thing costed him 22 grand. The thing I don't understand is, aside from basic maintenance fees that come with EVERY car, what's so bad about owning a german car? Like I understand sometimes parts wear out because of usage, but unless I actually pull off some stupid shit, won't the car run fine?

Fun engine to drive. Great noise (for a diesel), good mpg, loads of character and the torque makes it feel fast even though it certainly is not, but complete dog shit on the reliability front.

Seems like every time anything goes wrong you need to take the whole front of the car off.

If you have all the answers, why did you make the thread

Which statement of mine led you to infer that I have all the answers?

Almost 300.000 km. for something that isn't an enthusiast car that has been carefully looked after is a disaster waiting to happen. I like the A4 but let's be honest, it's just an european shitbox with absolutely no chance of being either a classic or an investment, so people just do basic maintenance to keep it more or less running and that's it.

If you want an A4, the B5 looks far less dated and is arguably much prettier. Since it's "older" you can find them cheap so you have money to spare. If you want petrol, go for the 1.8 Turbo because NA 1.8 is as slow as a fucking turtle and, the rest of the bigger engines are just shit. If diesel go for the 1.9 TDI. Don't even go fucking NEAR a 2.5 TDI or you're gonna kill yourself.

Nevertheless, if you spend only 2k on an euro luxury sedan, set aside another 3-4k for the next two years. If you've taken good care of it after that, it will probably only be general maintenance for quite some time.

Don't do it you'll spend more money in repairs than the car is worth

Let's just laugh in advance for when he has to change the timing belts.

If your budget is 2200, get a Miata. Bitches love miatas. Trust me.

I'm 6'4 and I have a family of 6. A miata isn't gonna do it.

I dont know where to find a B5. There are none on craigslist.

Elaborate please?

>Elaborate please?
The entire front has to come off.

Hear that? Thats the sound of labor costs penetrating my asshole

You don't have money.

>You seem to have forgotten that I've just turned 18. Meaning I'm pulling chicks 16+, and they're not crackwhores either lmfao. My friend owns a 94 325i and they're digging it just cause it's a BMW. As long as it has brand name and it roars, they fall for it.

You seem to have forgotten that I don't give a shit. I'd you aren't an ugly autist, it won't matter what car you have. I'm old, trust me on this. Peace out mate, good luck with your search.

I'm not an ugly autist, but in this day and age, your looks are only the entry to whether or not you're attractive. An attractive guy can go from an 8/10 to a 6/10 if he drives a corolla. That's just how it is, I don't make the rules, nor do I think it's fair.

Taking the front clip off is very easy though, it's literally a couple of screws in the guards, two big bolts through the reo, headlights out, and a few plugs.

Lol. Incorrect friend. You'll discover this in time. As I said, I'm old enough to have been through all this shit, and a car doesn't matter.

I dont doubt your experience, I'm just saying that the leap in ideologies between your generation and mine is VAST. Not to mention you're likely not from my area, and shit runs kind of different here.

Actually, if you want a Corolla without the Corolla name and sportier looks, have a look at the Celica. Just as reliable, cheap and easy to work on, but it's not a Corolla and has some pretty cool rally history.

Over here, the celica doesn't sell for under 3500. Anything for $2000 has serious mechanical issues.

Damn, really? That sucks.

Jesus christ. I just found this Acura TL on craigslist for diiiiirt cheap. vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5618230154.html

What do you guys think?

>vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5618230154.html

>acura in charge of V6 automatic transmissions

Stay the fuck away for that price. Acura couldn't into automatics until they changes their design language.

Should I bargain him down or anything?

Honda/Acura automatics in the 2000s are known to be quite weak and failure-prone.

If you're dating shallow bitches.
Fuck man I've seen some of the ugliest motherfuckers with the worst shitboxes pull hot chicks because they have fucking charisma.

If your only call to attractiveness is your car, you're likely shallow as fuck and have zero interesting/redeeming qualities about yourself.

If you honestly think that the car you have is the only factor in pulling hoes, you are sorely mistaken.

This is coming from someone who is just a year older than you are, you'll learn soon son.

What's wrong with them?