So what are some known issues with 3rd Gen Camaros?

so what are some known issues with 3rd Gen Camaros?

Found a beautiful white '88 for only 2,200 and I am seriously contemplating getting it

Pigfat, unreliable GM shitheap

The main issue is that every engine short of the 350 is worthless and the 350 only came in automatic.

Forgot to mention that pic related has the 2.8 V6

Shells go for about 2k

why not?

they're boats

>auto V6
JUST

But for the price, a clean body isn't bad...

since its a v6 auto you should try to talk him down
also you better swap it OP

The 305 isn't bad if you just want a turd gen and a v8.

Hell 350s go for more than 305s and the only reason people say 305s are shit is because there is less aftermarket

HERES YOUR REPLY

and when you do put the manual behind a 350 they like to blow the trans up

as an owner of a turd gen

I completely agree with you

the engine bay is just such a clusterfuck of 80s tech that fails and fails

mine isn't even running now due to an air/fuel problem that is being caused by god knows what.

It's gonna sit for awhile until I have enough money to swap it out with a carbed v8

>102 HP

I own an 88 iroc and love it, if I were you Id wait to find a 305 or 350, because I don't know how to swap/lack tools to do so

If it is a v6 then it's a worthless piece of shit

obligatory

i got a mint c4 vette with 76k miles on it for 3500. why anyone would bother with a camaro over an equally priced corvette is beyond me.

>C4 Corvette
JUST

just get rid of all the 80's shit then

>The 305 isn't bad
It is. The 305 is a narrow bore long stroke engine that requires machining meanwhile Ford's 302, a wide bore short stroke engine just need a fat cam installed possibly with some better heads and it's good. I can't begin to imagine what GM was thinking with that engine.

Smog.

its a fun car, 9/10 condition.

Neat skyline m8

There was no need to make a new block when they could have just reduced the stroke like Ford did.

>dat filename

I own two of them, neither if which have much stockness left. They're a cheap platform to get started on and can be fun. I really hate a lot of the factory stuff on the car. They need subrame connectors and a rear end that isn't a 7.5 if you plan to swang with some power. Lots of cheap aftermarket parts for them though.

I drove a 92 RS in high school.
they are slow as fuck
smog choked
700r4 4 speed auto tend to die at 150K miles if not maintained.

engine is reliable though
they will keep on running

LS SWAP IT!!
even a 4.8L VVT LS makes 302HP

The Turd gens are the new Fox body.

As someone driving a turd with a 350 vortec/t5 combo, no. Its a myth.

The real reason the 350 and t5 were never mated was because of emissions

but a 4.5L tvr makes 420hp

If by that you mean they are being purchased in working condition, skeletonized, then resold on craigslist with a fine layer of dust and "too many parts to list", then yeah, i noticed that too

OP is back

How durable is the V6? Broke high schooler here looking to stop having to borrow dad's F250

The 2.8 is pretty shit m8. I'd 3400 or 3800 swap if you want it to be more powerful and reliable and then there's no rear end swap required. A Series 2 will double your power and you only have to worry about the cooling elbows.

Does the 3400 bolt right up to the 700r4?

If it doesn't, i'll probably hold off for a non-carb 350

>non carb

Why?

Also a 350 swap is vastly easier than swapping a 3.4, no idea what that user is smoking

I'm just assuming that the carb gets less MPG's than the TBI or TPI.

Eh. It'll get you by as long as you don't overheat it or run it out of oil.

GM pretty much gimped the things though. Intake runner length is so long the power drops off quickly after 4000 rpm which is about where those V6's would ordinarily want to start rolling. Then they've got tight converters and stupid long final drive ratios. Even if it's a manuel trans the final; drive is absurd for such a car. 3100/3400 heads and intake will bolt on but with the 2.8 pistons it gives something unreasonable like 12.3:1 compression which won't work with pump gas too well. 3100/3400 blocks don't have RWD motor mount bosses so you can't just take one of those either. So that leaves putting the 3100/3400 reciprocating assembly in the 2.8/3.1 block which is just too much work for 200ish hp so you're better off going with a V8.

Not if properly tuned, besides who gives a shit nigga

I would not buy an old racecar unless it was actually a racecar- a v6 turd gen will have the same reliability issues as any old car without the benefit of actually being pretty fast.

It was made for trucks.

>Broke high schooler here
>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18

Issues? Being hit

All third gens at my school were in an accident last week.

Find a 4th gen in a junkyard with the 3.8

It's such a better motor for a bolt-on, there's no reason to stick with a 2.8/3.1/3.4

It'll turn you into a deadbeat white trash person?