/4xg/ - Stellaris and 4X Games General

Ded edition
Also uninspiring OP pic edition.

>Stellaris OP
pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Stellaris Mod Archive
mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg

>What is stellaris?
A 4x game developed by paradox development studios.

>Stellaris Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgstellaris

>/civ4xg/ OP:
pastebin.com/P5XCTQx9

>Recommended mods for Civilization V
pastebin.com/5ANRmRur

>More info on Civ VI:
pcgamer.com/civilization-6-everything-you-need-to-know/
ign.com/articles/2016/05/11/three-ways-sid-meiers-civilization-6-radically-reinvents-itself-city-building-science-and-diplomacy
gamespot.com/articles/civilization-6-revealed-brings-major-changes/1100-6439691/
well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html

Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P_SlAzsXa7E
youtube.com/watch?v=eAEUrp2V4ss
youtube.com/watch?v=Ev7HduZncYI
youtube.com/watch?v=qx8hrhBZJ98
press-start.be/2016/08/gc16-endless-space-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How the hell is this general dead already? Especially with Civ VI on the way?

It was a hell of a lot more active in 2014. Did BE really kill this place?

The trickle of info isn't enough to keep this general talking and not enough people are picking Civilization V up again just because of the info.

because Civ 6 isn't out for 60 more days, and EL and Stellaris are painfully shallow.

>korea and brazil's continent almost completely overrun by barbs
>egypt and austria removed persia and atilla from the game
>rome has done literally nothing all game except beg and denounce everyone
should i go on a crusade and free persia, korea, brazil and atilla or kill the remaining leaders

bamp

bump

youtube.com/watch?v=P_SlAzsXa7E

three dead in a row edition

>vanilla UI

Couldn't they have chosen a nicer quote for Prora?

They were trying to make fascism sound bad.

Why is the ES/EL UI so good?

dido is best leaderfu

user, are you not aware of the current year?

Straight-Forward, minimal, meshes will with the art style.

Too bad the game is incredibly shallow and every faction plays out the same every game, if they were a AAA studio with fat resources EL may have been GOAT 4X game

>They were trying to make fascism sound bad

It's still better than having the Kremlin quote be from fucking Mohammed.
What the fuck were they smoking?

>we unironically died
Ahahaha~

its not like its first time. Still better than merging with /rtsg/ and /wgg/ tier of ded

Political correctness out the ass.

Why don't we merge with /rtsg/ anyway

>want to install CBP
>see that you need ALL DLC, including the bullshit civ and wonder DLCs

o-ok, nevermind then

They are permaded and we dont want them here. The same with wargames

>we don't want them here
>we
Who's this?

planefag

sup fuccbois, time for more AuroraAAR.

Last time, the board decided to dedicate resources to asteroid mining to expand our access to raw material to build cool shit.

What they directors didn't consider is how massive freighters have to be, and therefore require huge engines.

So before anyone can go gallavanting off to start a Mercassium rush, first we have to make a freighter that can get the loot back home before the next century.

>331 km / s
Sounds like interspace alright

Great news! Finished another research lab and completed work on Electronic Warfare. Now we can be the biggest cunts in the universe.

The next step is finalizing the new engines for a freighter, and some shipyard work. A lot of shipyard work.

meanwhile, the surveyors Curiosity and Spirit are still out there finding plenty of material scattered on the asteroids in the solar system.

>still no good trading empire game

Is Stellaris fun?

Naturally Curiosity would be the survey ship to suffer a failure first. The crew recovered the engine at least.
Nobody seemed to happy about that, or how long they've been out. I think both survey ships are likely to have their deployment time raised a lot and given orders to have them come back before their time on task runs out.

Oh, and research completed on the Terraforming Module. Comin' for that red planet

I went ahead and read some stuff about the civilian/private sector. It's pretty interesting, it seems to operate like in Distant Worlds which I liked quite a lot.
I've also been reading into Orbital Hab modules. I'm thinking of putting one around Luna, then springing from there to Mars or Venus, whichever has better loot. However the plan is to colonize Mars in the future anyways.
And now I know how to make Commercial-grade engines. Huzzah, the private sector can do its own thing now.

>not using superior songs
youtube.com/watch?v=eAEUrp2V4ss

youtube.com/watch?v=Ev7HduZncYI

jesus christ my brain needs a break from all these spreadsheets. my time in EvE did not prepare me for this. progress so far:

- Orbital Habitation module has been designed and will be built in orbit around Earth and towed to Luna--I need Ship-to-Ship tractors first of course.
- some new engines are in the works to give the navy and civvies more to work with
- some other shit, people got promoted
- I need a geo survey team and a boat to sail them around on. Probably going to use the Prospector design Curiosity and Spirit use I have a shipyard already tooled for it and then I can make another rover named ship

Jesus that game sounds fun but really hard.

amateur
youtube.com/watch?v=qx8hrhBZJ98

wow this is actually good

So except Heroes of Annihilated Empire, any good fantasy RTS?

the warcraft games are ok, there is rise of legends too. A fantasy version of rise of nations, but I've never played it

I find the Spellforce games to be pretty decent (but their latest faction completly breaks the game)

Rise of Legends doesn't run very well on recent PCs because Microsoft is shit.

Doesn't it have RPG elements too?

>Doesn't it have RPG elements too?
Yeah but imo they mixed it pretty nicely (in 2 more than in 1) and in the freeplay mode you can choose between rts and rpg maps

who hyped for ES2?

If we had more infos about it...

RTS IS DEAD

DUDE DUST LMAO

All of my hatred, that presentation was an abortion

That was pretty good
Invoke interest by acting cute and invoke pity and protective instinct by bawling your eyes out

I'll make her really good at taking the D

That's what happen when you ask amateurs to show a game.

Well, she is cute.

Don't panic lads, we'll pick up again once VI is released.

VI will be shit.

Source???

Check the pictures !!!!!!!!

Art style, Zatoichi.

Is the Advanced Tactics Gold user here?

Look at the pictures, it's pretty obvious.

Clash Battles is the same shit.

What the fuck is that.

Heinlein Dev Diary 3

>embassies are gone
Dropped and uninstalled.

Why do Paradox insists on shitting up the game that much? Anything that is fun or easy to use is already removed or nerfed so much it's basically useless.

Embassies were removed in asimov

I'm asking for a refund.

That planet type square still needs work.
For clarity it should be a 3x3 of dry, temperate, wet, and hot, mild, cold. Basing two columns off of rainfall and the third off of temperature is arbitrary and makes zero logical sense.

Embassies have been gone for quite a while

Can someone give me some opening move advice? Usually my games go like this.

>Found city and scout with warrior
>Go for pottery and writing for tech, whatever after that (depending on my luxury resources)
>Produce scout, scout, shrine, monument, Great Library
>Use GL's free tech to rush Drama
>For policies, start out with the first one from Tradition (+3 culture in capital), then go for liberty and get the free settler ASAP
The problem is that I'm always lagging behind with this strategy. By the time I get going the other civs have already plopped down three or so cities. After that I myself can only found three or four cities total before being locked in. I also don't have enough gold and production to keep up, nor can I create an army to defeat my enemies.

It was almost as if Spain would be the perfect solution to my problem. Almost...
>Start with Spain, same general strat as above
>Fighter finds Cero de Potosi rather quickly, earning me 500 gold
>Instantly buy a settler and settle near Cero de Potosi
>Working it earns me +20 gold (and +4 faith due to my pantheon)
>Make mad bank
>Manage to get three extra settlers in total, plop them down near good luxury resources
>Indonesia (to my south) tells me to stop settling everywhere, I tell 'em to fuck off (my plan is to conquer them later)
>As I'm considering producing some units (or buying them with faith due to my religion), at the same time Indonesia and Babylon (to my North) declare war on me
>WTF Babylon, I'm not even close to you
>I thought we wuz friends
>Ragequit

So even with Spain I suck. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Populous: The Beginning

>scouting with warrior
Use your scout cavalry.
>Go for pottery and writing
What?
>Produce scout, scout, shrine, monument
These are T3 buildings, how do you-
>For policies
Oh, you weren't speaking about Age of Empires 2. My bad.

>>For policies, start out with the first one from Tradition (+3 culture in capital), then go for liberty and get the free settler ASAP
This is retarded

Casting bees never got old

On higher difficulties you are always behind the AI. And friends don't let friends build the Great Library. If you intend on playing on higher difficulties then you should stop now. It's so unlikely that you will ever get it on higher difficulties that trying to build it is cheezy.

The AI expanding and "locking you in" is not a bad thing. They're just bringing their cities closer to you so you can more easily conquer them. Taking their cities levels the playing field since the AI can produce more than you.

Instead of relying on the GL as a crutch (it won't work on higher difficulties anyway), build some military units, rush for military techs and take your neighbors cities when they get too close. You'll probably want to start off defending your own territory after declaring war and when they run out of units you fuck them up. If you're still behind at this point, use spies to steal tech.

>For policies, start out with the first one from Tradition (+3 culture in capital), then go for liberty and get the free settler ASAP
Let me emphasize how dumb it is to get a policty just for a flat culture bonus when getting any single policy increases the culture cost of all future policies. Focus on completing policy trees.

I assumed getting +3 every turn early on would eventually overcome the opportunity cost. But I'll focus on completing trees instead then. Am I right to believe that there's no reason to not take liberty unless you're playing Venice?

So pretty much
>Skip the GL
>Produce military units instead
For tech that'd probably mean I should go straight for mathematics and ironworking, right? To get swordsmen and catapults?

Can you guys also explain why the GL is a bad wonder? It gives you a free tech, Great Scientist points and two slots for great works of writing. To my ignorant self it sounds like a great cultural victory wonder.

Also, does your disapproval mean that early wonders aren't worth it altogether, or is it just something specifically about the Great Library that sucks?

Star Ruler 2 is 75% off on GoG.

>Am I right to believe that there's no reason to not take liberty unless you're playing Venice?
How in your messed up logic does that make any sense? Liberty is for going wide (building a lot of low pop cities) and Venice literally cannot build settlers.

Read that again

>How in your messed up logic does that make any sense?
I said unless(!) you're playing Venice. I assumed there's no reason to not go for liberty because even if you're going tall, you're going to have at least 4 cities ideally (again, barring Venice). I assumed that early game getting a free settler, a free worker and a free Great Person on top of that is so powerful (on top of some smaller benefits) that none of the other early game policies can hold a candle to it. Or am I making a mistake here?

My bad. Seemed like an unnecessary number of negative there though.

Anyway, Liberty is actually a pretty week tree. It also takes more skill to pull off. My advice to you is to either use the stronger Tradition tree or practice going wide using ECS (Endless City Sprawl) as the Mayan. There should be guides elsewhere. Once you pull that off successfully without crashing and burning you should be able to make good use of the Liberty tree.

Tradition is the correct choice in almost every game unless you're playing a city spammer like the Mayans. You might want to look up the 4 city tradition opening, it's pretty solid for most civs and it's flexible enough to handle early aggression.

GL is great. It's just that there will always be an AI civ that tries to build the GL and on immortal/deity it's almost impossible to beat them to the punch. So don't rely on it since it'll be gone on higher difficulties.

Stonehenge on the other hand is doable (not guaranteed though) if you rush calendar, chop some trees and have enough food/production in your starting area.

>>Skip the GL
Depends on the difficulty, in Prince getting GL and having a great game is easy.

>For tech that'd probably mean I should go straight for mathematics and ironworking, right? To get swordsmen and catapults?
If you want to go conquering that is. If your neighbours are peaceful and you don't want to conquer there is no need. Just get the tech to crossbowmen if you need defense from barbs

Thanks. I'll focus on the tradition opening for now, maybe some practice with maya spamming later. Can you guys explain why liberty is weak and tradition is strong though? Understanding the logic behind it migh thelp me.

>Stonehenge on the other hand is doable (not guaranteed though) if you rush calendar, chop some trees
>chop some trees
No offense, but where do I fit in the workers (in terms of production order) needed to chop those trees? Especially without liberty? Scout Scout Worker, meaning I miss out on religion early on?

It's not that liberty is especially weak, it's that going wide is usually a bad idea and liberty is there to help you go wide. The reason wide civs struggle in Civ 5 is that technology and social policies become more expensive the more cities you have. This can be overcome, especially if you're playing as the Mayans since their shrine replacement provides enough science to counter-act the science penalty from having a lot of cities. Additionally, the first free great person can be settled for an academy which is great for science in the long run.

Meanwhile, the tradition opening is usually limited to 4 cities since it's a sweet spot between having enough production and resources to get shit done while not suffering too many wide penalties. It also combos well with the policy tree giving free culture buildings and aqueducts in your first 4 cities. Additionally, building the national college is easier if you have fewer cities.

As for stonehenge, you can steal workers from city states and you'll probably want to skip/delay the second scout.

Liberty gets stronger on larger maps where you need to build more cities, when you have a shit start, and when you want to go wide early with some conquering. In a lot of those cases though you need to have an iota of skill already to pull off successfully. But generally though on standard maps tradition is just all around stronger. It grows your capital and a lot of times it's important to make sure you have a really great capital for bonus gold with city connections and especially if you want wonders.

More generally, Liberty is weak because going wide is week. With tradition on standard map size you shoot for 4 cities and you can usually get them before the AI expands too much. With Liberty you probably only get 5 or 6 cities which isn't much more and doesn't beat out the benefits of Tradition. Plus going wide adds on the difficulty by pissing off your neighbors.

Alright, thanks for all the advice!

>hexshit

Why don't you show your game, then?

>10
again

recommend me a fantasy 4x game that isn't endless legend, I already have that. Bonus points for elves

Fantasy wars?
Warlock - Master of the Arcane?
Master of Magic?

Age of Wonders?

thanks, I'll decide what to play by last digit
1-2: fantasy wars
3-4: Warlock
5-6: master of magic
7-8: Age of wonders
9: reroll

Hahahahaha.

reroll

age of wonders it is. Which game in the series is best?

The third, I guess.

The third
The first two havenĀ“t aged well

ARMIES OF EXIGO

TZAR

btw new frog article about Endless Space 2 with screenshots of ES2 space and ground combat.
press-start.be/2016/08/gc16-endless-space-2/

I still like Shadow Magic the most.

the third one it is. Maybe I'll blog some if the thread is ded when I get it started

Third.

>Frog
>.be