/evn/ - English Visual Novels

Don't make me start the new thread for the 3rd time edition

Do you have a question about a Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3 (embed)

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B (embed)

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

>Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread (for doujin discussion):

Other urls found in this thread:

vndb.org/v12002
vndb.org/v12003
twitter.com/pcmacgames/status/767232303248576512
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Isn't this from the same guy who did Cafe Memoria?

Thank you user. Have a tutturu~.

I'm mad because the sprite and side image don't match

It's also the same guy who created this cancner.
A dev we should all envy.

this happens all the time in VNs with side images. Even professionally made Japanese ones. It's maddening. It's bad enough they insist on having the same character twice on the screen but at least have them match, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It triggers me as well, but plenty of JVN have that same issue.
Thanks, have some more cancer.

> is the EVN scene actually as small as it seems or is there just a low concentration of developers to players?
It will seem smaller than it is if you only look on LSF or /evn/ — there's quite a few developers who primarily share outside these places, such as on Twitter or gamedev communities.

> Leaves and grasses are my biggest problem right now. It's not really a matter of making it but, rather, making it look 2D.
Depends on what kind of 2D style you want. If it's a heavily stylised look you want, consider that many artists don't actually draw/paint individual blades of grass, nor individual leaves (unless they're in the extreme foreground).

> How you make the AO affect the leaves might be a trade secret so I'd refrain from asking that.
In the recent country road BG I did there's no AO on the leaves. I rendered the AO pass for the full scene but didn't apply it. Instead I saved it separately, rendered an mask for the bike, and applied the AO to just the bike in Photoshop.

AO is just a rendering trick that doesn't take materials into account. Shadows will still work properly though. Blender Internal has an option you need to check called "receive transparent shadows" (or something like that.) The catch is you need to check this option on the material that's having an alpha masked material cast shadows onto it. Not the actual alpha masked material itself (although checking it on that is a good idea too!)

FWIW I used Blender Internal for the forest BG you linked above but I used Cycles for the recent country road BG.

> I know for a fact I used an edge split modifier there a while ago (see the above pics). It must've been gone the moment I joined it with the other objects for array purposes.
Yeah, if you select a bunch of objects one of them will be the 'active object' (it has a slightly lighter highlight than the others). When you join those objects together the resulting object will have all the modifiers of the active object.

when will evn's get their own shindol?

shindol is american, so all he'd have to do is create a vn himself

at least tag that shit so I can avoid it.

>warning: contains babyfucking and slut breaking but with extra seriousness

Are these perchance reused CG from a JVN?

there's a single panel of xray of an 8month preggo whore. don't be a bitch

Yup, he did that with 2 different projects:
vndb.org/v12002
vndb.org/v12003

this
go to /lgbt/ fagface

Eiyuu senki was the worst one I've seen yet. Only the side images had different expressions.

>two different faces
Why?

With having a huge a cast as that title did, I can understand cutting corners like that.

yeah that's the one I had in mind. Was playing through it recently and every time the dialogue came up all I could think about was how jarring the sprite expressions were because of it

Yumina does the same thing.
I can understand the double sprite thing, specially with widescreen textboxes that would be too long otherwise. It gives you the speaker quickly instead of relying in color-coded naming shit, or zooming in the sprites, which gets tiresome after a while. But at least they should make the expressions match.

We hadn't even hit limit yet and you managed to get someone to newthread? What alternate dimension is this?

glad im not fucked up like you fags. That shit made my boner go soft and killed it for me.

The one where EVNs are considered the real deal and JVNs are considered subpar imitations due their low production values.

if only
the only western evn company managing to comfortably (keyword) stay aloat are winged cloud, and even then people are starting to get real tired of their shtick, after what, the 11th iteration of the sakura series?

I'm more than comfortably afloat, thanks.

go to bed Hanako.

was going to respond with 'go to bed winterwolves'
then i remembered they're broke
kek

They are? What happened?

Just some of his tweets.

twitter.com/pcmacgames/status/767232303248576512

classic ww whining about his failing games.

inb4 polling 'why my game didn't sell well?'

The art is quite uggo. Loren had the luck of having the best artist and best writer working on it

Anyone knows of a not too common germanic name apt for a little girl?

Lisa?

Will my game about Taiwanese idols be popular? ;_;

Post?

Shadman should draw CG for a VN

Hm, more widespread globally than I intended but cute nonetheless. I'll take it. Thanks m8.

I'll play anything with idols

If you need copy-posting help in renpy, I might be up to it. I like idols.

Hey, /evn/, how do you like the design of one of our main heroines?

if this is an elaborate trolling attempt - 10/10
if this is serious, let me laugh even harder/10

nty

Go full mermaid and make it a monster gril evn

???

Will I be forever know as "no africa" dev?

Would you prefer "KKK dev"?

her eyes being so far apart from each other and her gaping mouth remind me of the 'am i kawaii uguu' meme. The dead fish hoodie looks awful. She has flippers for feet. The rest of the design is basic bitch as fuck:
-non flattering fivehead hairstyle
-a plain t-shirt
-plain shorts
-non-patterned thigh highs
-no shoes
It's forgettable at best, offensive at worst.

May have found the root of the problem, instead of bothering to redraw the eyes/eyebrows/mouth, they simply took one and flipped it the other way.

No.

Thanks for the input. I told our artist, will come back with what they have next. We'll see how she looks then.

The only thing I won't compromise on is the fish hood, but otherwise I believe you're right that portions of her design need to be changed. That's why I'm coming here in this stage of her development.

Well get your bg artist to fix it then, you don't want your readers to think the story takes place in an alternate universe do you?

I'll probably need to replace all BGs if he doesn't echo back within the next few months.

Something is fishy about her.

Why is it that 90% of artists working for EVNs complete garbage?

Like, they're below the level of your avarage drawfag on /a/ or /i/

Good artists have patreons and plenty of one-off commissions, so they don't have to work on big projects

Garbage artists are cheaper/more willing to work for free.

>Pillow shading: the VN

You cant contact with him?

Yes.

>moe anime characters are a meme
Are you new?

>contract
Why would you ever trust your personal info to someone from the internet?

>reading comprehension

Two of the artists I've hired had me sign a contract, both only required my real name. They would get that much information from my payment anyway.

>only real name
What's the point then? There's millions of Ahmeds and Muhammads

Contracts are useless, no one's going to sue anyone lmao

Their contracts mostly stated what I can and cannot do with the artwork, they just needed my signature to confirm I understood. I don't really blame them, I had no presence in the dev community when I had hired them.

It would make it easier to ruin my reputation though, producing evidence that I understood the contract but still went against their wishes.

You should start looking for new BG artist right now. He's not coming back for sure.

>hire third worlders
>cry like a little bitch because they ditch you
you deserved it

>artist asking dev to sign contract

There's no way that is a third world artist.

OH gee, whom should I choose?
Proud first worlder, $100-150 for each sprite, $50 for each new pose, $10 for each emotion.
OR
Dirty third worlder, $50-70, all shit included.

you should choose the one who doesn't ditch you.
third worlders have no sense of work discipline or even common decency

>implying 1st world artist doesn't have the same problem

Straving third world artist > first world brat.

>shitty 3rd worlder confirmed.
just fuck off to any filthy hole you crawled from

All artist is scum, but dealing with 1st world brat and their antics is much much more infuriating.

>Thirdworlders are less likely to cause online drama
Any truth to this proposition?

If I use spaces in my filenames, will they cause trouble?! I can't find a clear explanation in the documentation, and I don't want to rename all my 600 images.

Renpy?

yes

Uh, seems like I have bad news...
Apparently, spaces make renpy unable to find the images. Maybe it's my instalation. It's outdated like two years. Try with a new version.
In case you have to change the case, don't do it manually. Google a simple script to rename files and tweak it. I'm sure there are thousands. It will take you 10 minutes to learn how to do it instead of wasting 2 hours doing boring ass renaming. And try if it works with mock files, in case anything goes wrong.

I'm glad I use underscores out of habit or I'd most likely have done that before

god no

B-but they seem to work, and renpy doesn't give me any warning?!

Could be. As I say, my instalation is fucking prehistoric and it sounds like the kind of annoyance anyone would want to have fixed, so probably they did.

a man can hope

Literal retards. One unable to press the button "update renpy," the other unable to make a small test of his game.
evn scene, ladies and gentlemen.

shut the fuck up

He's from down south, senpai. My sprite artist is a from 'murica as well.

I don't even dev anymore, you absolute moron. Downloaded it a few years ago and dicked around a bit, that's it. I hope you are not a writer, because with those reasoning skills you'd make some QUALITY plots.

>I can't check if something works by entering two lines of code and pressing "launch project" button
>but I'll make a long elaborate post on Veeky Forums and hope for a pat on the back
no user, you're retard.

Okay, you are bored and have anything else to do than shitpost. Fine, I'll bite. Special ed kids like need some love too.

I thought it would work without problem, so just tried it. I'm not going through the bother of updating a program I don't use just to help an user. Instead, I tried to give him the means to solve it for himself. Anyone beyond a mental age of 15 would have realized on the spot the user woried about images is most likely an artist, that probably doesn't even have the program installed, since he is asking.

Is it going to die now?

We deserve to

Boobs or butts?

Anyone else following Missing Stars? I've been waiting around for a demo for like 3 years now.

I believe one of the developers posts in here.

Still Alive. hopefully

>right pinky finger's intermediate phalange is longer than the distal

Oh god...