/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Old thread

>dead at 0 edition

>appoint expedition leader as militia commander
>create first squad
>it's named "Bodices of Spreading"

> digging to page 10 so soon

What the fuck

>dwarves happily run into the caverns to clean up blood
>ignore any contaminants inside the fortress

why

Anything I can draw for you bois

Elven diplomats are quite legitimately THE worst people in all of DF.

Perhaps dorfs making the elven queen or princess cut down trees?

I haven't played this game since df2012. What have I missed?

The rude shits don't even arrive with a message, and they're not telling me how many trees I should cut et cet, they're just coming and being rude then hanging out in my meeting area being rude

Is there a way to respectfully dispose of the corpse of my comrade? Could I burn it or something?

How many dwarfs do you have on military assignments at any given time, percentage wise?

I was thinking that figuring out some way to silence them or replace the diplomat with a Plump Helmet Man (they're mute) would be good but if the first doesn't get the job done somehow the rest just queue up.

Just saw a moose climb a tree to get away from a hunter. The hunter just stood at the base of the tree shooting up at the moose while her hunting dogs went up into the tree after it. Eventually the moose fell off the tree and the fall drove one of its ribs through its heart.

These trees are wonky as shit.

Uh if you can, a Cambion stabbing a big Lion man in the head with a dagger, the other hand holding a crossbow. The lion man has a ton of crossbow bolts stuck in him and is bleeding everywhere, but remains standing as he is stabbed.

Pic is description of the creature.

On a semi-related note, has anyone here ever had their town attacked by beastmen? A whole pack of them just stormed into the village. It was terrifying.

The creature meaning the Cambion, excuse me. The Lion man is just a big lion man.

Leave no trace.

Gotta preserve that pristine cavern wildlife, lad.

Absolutely fucking amazing thanks. Now I must make this happen

World activation, emotion changes, taverns, libraries, temples, art forms, some combat changes, adventurer sites and a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting to mention. I'd advise going through the devlog and looking at each release announcement since the last one you've played if you've got the patience and interest.

I've heard you can make a coffin nowadays with an adventurer site.

Oh right I forgot about that. I've got work to do.

Is the dwarf using a named warhammer?

>bashing the upper body
>ribs break and tear the heart
>gets stuck in the elf's upper body
>hammer stuck in their shattered ribcage

While my military is still green I'll have 20-30% of my fort in training, but once they improve it's usually less than 10%.

You cannot, however, truly entomb him. You can't make the tomb construction.

I bought a wooden bow and arrows from the elves. Is there any way to get one of my dwarves to use it to go hunting or will they refuse to use anything other than crossbows?

Ah, darn.

Sorry, I mean tomb BUILDING. But you can certainly put the corpse on the coffin

I especially like how she broke all his limbs and slapped one of his hands off before stomping his head in. That was actually a human conducting diplomacy for the elves, I think she was disgusted by the idea. She's not usually quite that savage in her meetings.

Here you go friendo

An undead gorilla with a flail battling a crocodile

Probably the strangest thing I've seen in DF

It would be dope if the AI purposefully wrestled weapons away from the enemy instead of being as equally likely to slap you to death with panties.

Yeah, that's always fun.

Wow, getting a blunt mace stuck in someone's chest seems like an even more impressive feat than a warhammer.

Sick artifact platinum mace, user.

Awesomesauce.

If you got the time I would love a draw of this.

Human female (pic related is description) almost in full plate armor with chain leggings and several weapons strapped onto her specifically a shield, longsword, shortsword, dagger, and a pike. Feel free to take artistic liberties though

She's slumped against a wall with a busted knee. She's desperately swinging a 2 handed sword at goblins and/or trolls and/or beak dogs as they advance.

Maybe her dead companions (also armored human females, one had a silver maul) laying beside her or headless goblins laying around.

Yar, I should pick up companions more since I've been running around on foot instead of using my flying uberdorf adventurer race.

>picture of her surrounded by worms on her mace
Nice, does she like or hate worms?

A mace is a mace, but a goblin is a goblin.

Oh that's fine then.

She hates them. I like to imagine it kind of as a bruce wayne and bats situation; using the thing she fears as a symbol to strike fear and platinum in the hearts of her foes. That could explain the images of midnight men and the FB as well. The tigerfish is harder to explain, but we are on a huge lake, and they have big fucking teeth, so I guess it works too.
An alternative explanation is that the mayor, who made the mace while possessed by unknown forces, wanted to take a passive aggressive shot at his boss. But I like the other explanation better.

Does anyone try to keep all their dwarves as focused as possible at all times? Does anyone have anything resembling success in such an endeavor?

So, I have a question that is quite stupid, but I feel I should clarify:

What exactly IS stored in a save game?
I'm asking because apparently a save can have issues if you're loading it up with a different tileset than last time, unless the raws in the save itself are updated, so what is the full extent of this?
Does it store stuff like creatures and objects, or do those get loaded from the game's inner library, and the save is just a flag for what is where like with most games?

Basically what I'm asking is: Since each save contains its own raws, does this mean that if I have a modded-in item or something of the sort, then the save will retain it even without the mod?

Could someone post cool entrances to forts, preferable on flat maps? I Need some inspiration.

Military is the key for finding work for excess dorfs

It's impossible with some dwarves. Dwarves with no family or friends who have a need for those things, no access to their favorite foods, etc. Also dwarves won't actively seek out activities that will satisfy some needs, like the need to argue or the need to wander, even when they have free time. They also won't try to acquire items they like, they have to haul something they like by happenstance to decide to keep it. It's pretty much a matter of luck for any given dwarf whether or not it will even be possible to keep them focused.

Each save has a raw folder with graphics and objects.

Some of the files in the objects folder can be changed without screwing anything up, some will crash the game right away, some will only crash if the game tries to load the items or creatures or materials referenced in that file.

Graphics folders can be swapped freely, but may require raws to be updated if they change the tiles for various stuff displayed on screen.

Tilesets themselves are plug and play, they're in the df/data/art folder, while saves are in their own df/data/save/region# directories.

The last flatlands fort I built was some time ago and it ended in a very fun way so I can't pop up a picture just now, but generally I do it like this:

13x13 channel
11x12 channel (basically an 11x11 inside the bigger one, but with one extra line in the direction I want the entrance to go in)
9x11 channel (similarily, make sure one end of the short side is directly under one of the sides of the original square on top)
7x10 channel
2 or 3 more levels, but not narrowing it any further, leaving it 7 wide until I feel I'm deep enough, and making a 3 wide entrance.

Later it's easy to install a bridge that you can raise as a door to block the entrance as well as grates to a shallow pool bellow, and then install floodgates above the entrance to fill the entire thing up as desired.

Best part, you can then have the shallow pool drained by a pump that dumps the water or yummy magma you used to casually re-open for business.

For maximum happy happy joy joy time, make sure that whatever lever raises the bridge and unlocks the flood gates, also rocks a set of doors on a wall surrounding this hot mess of a pit entrance, so that you can deep fry an invading army with your magma.

Herbalism can be used to encourage wandering.

They actually brought them, absolute maddwarves.

Can we seriously stop talking about casual shit like tilesets in these fucking threads for once? Pretty please?

>Playing inferior older versions to make therapist work

why must i suffer

>CTFL+F
>tilesets
>2 matches

was it autism?

>couldntfindmydoublediggerdotpng.jpg

Here you go senpai

What reason could my woodcutter not be cutting trees? He has an axe in his inventory, no burrow, no alert, the labor is enabled, and he's just dicking around the fort. He needs to cut a tree that he can reach to free another dwarf who got himself trapped behind it, but he won't chop that tree or any other tree.

Alright, thanks for the info!

What are some weird legendaries you've gotten
I had one dorf build a pickaxe with an engraved image of a legendary grate built from my previous fort

If he's assigned to a squad there could be an equipment conflict: that might be his axe for fighting rather than his axe for chopping trees. By the way, training axes can't chop trees anymore.

Everyone in my fort loses their goddamn mind whenever a kingsnake shows up. Their corpses litter the cliff face. This one is making a really good show of it, having survived blows from a steel great axe, a steel spear, and a masterwork aadamantine great axe.

Nah, it turned out to be because it was on an edge tile. I knew you couldn't dig out an edge tile, didn't know you couldn't chop a tree down on one. Should've thought of that anyway. Thanks though.

Actually something's still not right, because I had to turn on woodcutting on a peasant to get any tree to be chopped down. My main woodcutter is still being useless, and he's not in a squad.

If I have a weak adventurer, and retire him and make a strong one, one that the weak one could not recruit with his current stats, and then have the strong one recruit the weak one, retire him, and then unretire and play as the weak one, would the strong one be my companion?

Wait, you can't cut down edge tile trees?

Things get weird when you do that, if you REALLY want the weak one to get the strong friend, dance or recite a poem or something to impress them, then ask them to join you as an entertainer, later when you get some impressive kills or bandit robberies stopped you can recruit them to adventure normally if you want.

Any guesses?

bucket

If you're lucky: amazing toy boat or maybe a crown you can gank as an adventurer, more likely it will be a chain or something.

Is there a difference between an entertainer follower and adventurer follower?

The werechameleon mayor Dumed Egulnokim, creator of the platinum mace Rumadiltang, lover of bucklers, has fallen in glorious battle.

It's a blacksmith mood, those are all metal crafter items.

>clearing big room of beak dogs
>entered with a broken knee
>cloaks are mostly shredded
>weapons are constantly getting stuck in these niggers
>every now and then have a bit of trouble and aggro spread out groups of 3
>at some point the other knee is bit and fucked up along with some lower spine bruising
>find this
fug
Are these big ass rooms filled to the brim with beak dogs common in dark fortresses?

Goddammit.

You're making me want to play adventure mode.

rekt

>tfw I accidentally broke my only crutch over a goblin's head earlier
>tfw my companions all ran off down a dark hallway and got ripped to shreds by trolls and beak dogs
Does a more dwarfy version of pic related exist?

I've noticed, or at least assume this is what it is, that visitor's gear shows up in the stocks list but as forbidden. If I was to unforbid the gear and set them to melt, would my dwarves actually attempt to seize and melt their gear, or do they just cancel the designation?

It's not a bad artifact by any means. I just already have really nice magma forges. Now I have to dig out another one.

How

>seize and melt their gear
I get that goblin gear melts, but what shall become of the elf gear?

I had a legendary crappy amulet or something with a picture of my legendary raw adamantine toy boat from another fort

Do you think I would let filthy Elves into my fort for any purpose but selling me beasts of war? Nay, friend. The visitors are human soldiers guarding some arsehole diplomat hanging around. I don't want to piss off the humans, they bring me more iron to melt down, so I want to be sure this whole seizure thing isn't how it would work if I accidentally set some of their gear to melt.

Unforbid and dump it.

You can only designate metal objects to be melted.

You used to be able to do that, but I think it was fixed. Try it.

>EVER letting ANY elf-wee-gee into your fort.

Entertainers aren't always as gungho.

Oh yeah, forgot that is the furniture stuff.

>I would let filthy Elves into my fort

Enjoy all your dwarves having their records corrected and becoming bleeding heart hippies due to elves talking to them. This shit is the reason why the only person I trust is the King Of All Dwarves.

>Making a massive wall around my fort
>Practically the entire map
>Taking ages to make of course
>Realize pretty late that I needed to rush one side up because the ground up there goes a lot higher than I thought
>Hadn't gotten a siege in many years so took my time with it
>Gobbo siege finally arrives
>Not a very big siege but they climb over the walls since I wasn't making the dual wall layer until higher up
>More than half die or get captured to my trap hallway
>Rather than go back the way they came they funnel into my spiked trap entrance
>That's also not done so I thought they'd run to the end and climb over
>They panic and run back and forth in the tunnel
>Right when the group of them get over the half of the tunnel that has all the traps they get perforated

I'm rock solid right now.

I don't what tileset you're using, but I absolutely hate those wall tiles.

Would you mind not posting pictures from tilesets? They don't belong in this thread.

>HE DIDN'T KNOW THAT DEFAULT CP437 IS A TILESET

what is the best race to play in masterwork?