/domg/ Dominions 4 General

Natural counter edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Pantokrator

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Latus_3_Big_Trouble_In_Little_Ragha
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=GinnungagapLives
llamaserver.net/admin.cgi?game=MagicEnhancedLAv2
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for aboleth traps.

2nd for bullying

Game: MemeOfTheAges
Turn number 16
Next turn due: 20:48 GMT on Monday August 22nd

Agartha 2h file received
Arcoscephale 2h file received
Asphodel 2h file received
Bandar Log 2h file received
Ashdod 2h file received
Marignon 2h file received
Mictlan Waiting for 2h file
Pangaea 2h file received
T'ien Ch'i 2h file received
Xibalba 2h file received

ah, so I guess the test game I did where I got two and the Visitor in the first two years will never be replicated?

Problem is, it's random so you don't know if you can replicate that. All in all you should be able to, but don't expect fantastic results in every game.

>SP arena event
>send my god in
>he finds that shitty amulet that gives him fool's luck
>middle of competition
>end up fighting a berserk prophet giant

Fuck I hate calling for my god

Reminder to join this: llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=Latus_3_Big_Trouble_In_Little_Ragha

And reminder that Ginnungagap fucked up again, so resend your pretender to this: llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=GinnungagapLives
(it is now using another ME1.1 .dm which won't require renaming and should work fine)

>Latus
Are the starts completely random?

Jesus, and I thought Der_Gotterdammerung was big. How the hell does this work? Are we all meant to start in the middle ring?

Also I kind of feel like trying out LA C'tis if nobody else wants them.

someone give me the rundown on magic enhanced

What are the big new late game options and how do they compare with tarts, summod iron drags, telkhines, and blood fuckery?

>summod iron drags
Actually how good are these anyway?

From what I'm reading, you get over 500 new spells, plus changes to existing ones plus more stuff cause it wasn't enough. The only rundown you get is reading about the mod yourself I think.

I'm tempted to join in as Xibalba again

Quite sure everyone starts in the middle plane, which is the normal world.

You can summon some pretenders for each nation and everyone (IIRC) can summon frikken dragons

I warned you, Shinu, my boy. All you had to do was stay the fuck out of it while I eat all my neighbors. Then you would've survived until mid-lategame spells. Now I have to waste my perfectly good chaff and mage turns on you.

buffs Japan

Shinu is a girl tho

Also, I'm apparently 1v5 now. Bring it on, bitches.

Also also, Vanheim, this is bad pretender design right here. As I understand it, you had to recall him after he died, but still. If you want some advice about MA Van, just ask ITT.

Also also also, Mari, this fucking army is going to die to skelespam, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. If you don't back off now I will post humiliating screenshots in the thread and be all smug about it. Shinu didn't listen, and now he's going to lose the game to backstabbing Machaka. Wizard assistance.

Also also also also, why is your whole army diseased? Watch those supplies, my dude. I mean, your N9 paladins will regen, but they still accumulate afflictions. And those crossbowmen just need a single Foul Vapors turn to die.

might want to tone down the damage control Ermor, cracks are showing man

Hey, I'm not the one who lost my last army and has 6 provinces.

Not true. Shinu has some provinces further to the west, including at least one underwater fort.

I'm still rooting for you, Mrs. Skeltal.

Shinu mage & commander losses: 1180 gold
Ermor mage & commander losses: 0 death gems/gold

Shinu troop losses (I assume folspawns are from a random event): 20 earth gems (fall bears), ~1900 gold.
Ermor troop losses: fuck if I know, but there were 25 sacreds, so if it's dual/tribless then it's pretty significant. Other shit is just chaff. He didn't lose any lictors though.

Gem usage: unknown. My guess is that Shinu used magma evos and Ermor used shadowblasts.

Misc: Shinu temple loss (400 gold)

Outcome: major victory for Ermor.

Although Shinu still has a lot of mages, they were severely weakened in that battle, meaning that they need to recruit a lot of support troops to stop Ermor's skelespam/soak up shadowblasts until those mages can do damage.

On the other hand, Ermor, having lost most of its chaff needed for sieges, can raid with Dusk Elders, effectively denying their opponent income. Unless Shinu can somehow recruit cheap S1 mages to magic duel those, they have almost nothing that can stop skelespam raiding besides maybe fire elementals/magma evos.

Tactical advise: both players should send me gold and gems.

Thank you for choosing B.I.G. Analytics Society Syndicate. We're looking forward to working with you again. Send some gems plox.

Skele spam against massed crossbows is rather risky, they may target your mages as skeletons are pierce resistant and crossbows prefer squishier targets.

I like to unlive dangerously.

I have signed up as Ulm. I am probably going to regret this.

Is this a meme game ala DG?

I need to know if I should go with a tryhard build or a meme build.

do you want to be in a winning position on that bigass map, with faggots running stealth parties or raining armageddons?

meme build is more fun.

>1v5 now
Yes, that is how it properly done.
I am glad that I am in the same game as all those adequate gentlemen.

Exactly that.
Mari use the order for crossbowmen just Fire. That way they may start targeting mages.

Speaking of, what happens if I make archers Fire at Cavalry and the cav then dies, does it revert to normal "Fire" or the default, no-orders version?

I just tried the map out in SP and I started once in Natura and once in the blood realm.

Ninai and Caesidh do your turns, only 20min left!

Ceasidh is Lambert, I'm pretty sure he's gone for like the next two weeks or so.

In my experience that is exactly how it works. But usually that "Fire" order will be executed as just targeting closest enemy formation.

Crossbowmen can't target units in the far row, so mages are safe there. Longbowmen can. And with Fire ... they sometimes target squares with most hp.

Ah yes, I think someone said they'd be having a holiday in some Scottish island or some such, I guess that was Caesidh/Lambert.

We probably should find a standin. Chimori is the biggest threat by far but if Tashna decides to eat Caesidh without opposition, that's not good either. With new player in charge, maybe Tashna and Caesidh could even reconcile their differences and help against Chimori.

If the crossbowmen stand in the front row of your formation they can reach far row of the enemy, and with the order "Fire" they may be able to target troops which ordered to Guard Dusk Elders.

>If the crossbowmen stand in the front row of your formation they can reach far row of the enemy
Why the fuck would you ever do that? What if Ermor just decides to rush you with longdead horsemen?

If Ceasidh is gone, Tashna is going to eat him and Ninai along with him.

Since Tashna's superbirds are only very slightly less of a threat than Chimori is, and with everyone focusing on Chimori right now apart from a couple of backstabbing batlovers *couchNORRPINGcough*, that means Tashna is a shoe-in for winning the game.

Just order the knights to intercept the horsemen, and the battle is yours.

How about the Admin? It's not like his More guys are doing anything and he can probably be impartial.

If the screen posted by Ermor is correct, his crossbowmen have 3 hitpoints. And considering that disease decreases hp by 10% each month, Ermor just needs 3 turns to win without fighting a single battle.

And how are you going to counter shadowblast? Let's suppose that crossbowmen will try to shoot at mages, but they're ethereal. Perhaps they will kill half of them, but the other half will just one-shot everything and bring paladins to seriously low hp. You don't fight battles like that without mage support, and 4 witch hunters can't be considered that.

Either way, post battle reports.

Whoa, they did their turns after all.

I did my turn immediately after I saw .

I almost forgot about it, thanks for the warning.

What nation can do well with few provinces and turtle until it becomes a beast?
Or, less noobish question, how the fuck do i defend my conquered stuff well as Arco?

>What nation can do well with few provinces and turtle until it becomes a beast?
MA Ermor?

Wow someones mad, its okay you should've cherry picked more, seeing as only about 50 of my total army is like that; the rest is still shit ton of xbows and men at arms are still 100% healthy, wheres the screenshots of my mages with aids and all that shit senpai? Right they are totally healthy you fucking troglodyte

> how the fuck do i defend my conquered stuff well as Arco?

what do you mean?
it depends on what you are facing.

for reconquering provinces back against PD few mages summoning fire/earth/water elementals + mind burn should work. or just small troops + mind burn/stellar cascades/ any 100 precision shit you have.

>recruiting men-at-arms
Are you crazy? Are you out of your mind?

Arco isn't the most mobile nation, so the best you can do is build enough forts. Defend your forts, but don't bother actively defending non-fort provinces apart from putting a point of PD on them.

If someone attacks you, mobilise your fort armies and try to either stop the invading army head-on and/or punch right through his territory and force him to pull back and defend his own shit.

You'll lose a couple of provinces of course, that's inevitable, but while he's moving his army around you can just retake them with a small token force behind his back, since nobody's stupid enough to put a shitload of PD on every province they conquer.

A mod nation called Neritia can turtle very well.

oh u

3rd Pretender is the charm

I also hope you have something planned for when I teleport in several S3's Grand Wizards to burn a cross in your frontyard, which is an analogy for mageduel spam.

>Mari shittalking
Go be a 0 win nation somewhere else.

Aren't they the only marignon unit with shields?

If you want a frontline which doesn't get pincusioned by your own crossbows, they sound like your best bet.

Hi. On trying to host GinnungagapReturns just now, Dominions crashed. This is not a LlamaServer issue, but rather Dominions itself crashed with a "Nagot gick fel" type error. The specific error was:

Något gick fel!
Unknown req_512 ()

DOOMED
O
O
M
E
D

Joined with Marignon. This is gonna be some good memeing.

Is it normal that some connection on Flatus aren't accessible ? I just tested the map to take a hike on the planes, and my scout can't pass from some provinces to others. Is it a matter of planes being separated ? If s, why are there connections ?

IIRC those can only be used by teleporting units, or by using teleport rituals.

So, I have magus temple, best site ever!
the guys are e1f1s1
I want to communions into gifts of heaven spam
consider 10 of those mages
what is the best setup?
I used 8 slaves and 2 masters, erfpower then GoH all the way.
It felt... underefficient...
Anyone more experienced can shed a light please?
Also, I could get a sabbath master to cast reinvig and the battle will be in a magic scale 2.

-it is not a /domg/ game

Which age is the most played in multiplayer? I'd like to start playing MP, but first i'd like to know which nations to look up for the most played age.

Probably EA, then MA, then LA.

You need more casters to spam gifts, it's a powerful but not precise spell, so only two casters isn't enough to see good results.

>1v5

Good to see someone is more hated than me, even if only just.

Any good guide on C'tis for all ages?
I love reptilian necromancers, but have trouble in the early game.

If its any consolation it was hard for me to do too.

10 SKELETONS
20 GOTO 10

In early game, you're usually best off relying on the slaves since they get an extra bite attack that helps them tear through indies. Add some armored guys for arrow bait and stay away from cavalry provinces and you'll do ok.

C'tis isn't a great early game power and their expansion is never going to be top-notch, so if you're struggling, consider taking an Erf Snek or other awake pretender, since C'tis doesn't need a bless anyway. LA C'tis can do well with a heavy bless (often N9B9) with massed tomb snakes, but you can also forfeit the bless and spam chariots instead.

Thanks for the tips man.
I was thinking of an awake pretender too, but i'm just a sucker for good scales and late-game power, so i wanted to learn to expand at least decently while i conjure my evil magics.
How many elite slaves/armored lizards per army do i need to expand rapidly?

try email llamabeast.

are you using the same version of the magicenhanced mod as of this game llamaserver.net/admin.cgi?game=MagicEnhancedLAv2 ?

Erf Snek with E6 gives you enough points for good scales, and the E access it gives is quite useful to C'tis, but it's a good idea not to rely on an awake expander even while realising you do have that option.

As for numbers, 20-25 of them is often enough if you're good with positioning and you have some decent targets nearby. You'll almost always have some attrition though, so more isn't usually a bad idea. It kinda depends on what indies are near you and how much units you can produce every turn. On indie settings hihger than normal you'll almost be forced to take a snek since your expansion will be slow otherwise.

Honestly, the best advice I can give is to simply practice your expansion a lot in singleplayer. Just play on a random map for 12 turns, and try to improve the maximum amount of provinces you can get in that time by experimenting with different formations, different amounts of units, etc.

Pity it's LA and not MA. LA Flatus doesn't interest me in the least, while I'd jump to join an MA one.

>can barely keep my land together because getting attacked from two sides
>a shoe-in for winning the game

Nice try, Lambert.

Take 5 magi, have them be communion slaves.

Then take up to 12 magi, have them cast communion master. Have one of them cast Power of the Spheres, and have the rest cast Summon Earthpower. Then spam Gifts with all of them

Doing this will reduce fatigue per cast down to 1 for the slaves (in magic 2+), leaving you with 8-12 fatigue per turn. Earthpower will reduce that by 4 per turn, and once over 100 fatigue it will be reduced by another 5 fatigue per turn.

Even with a full set of 12 magi fatigue per round will be 8 until you reach 100, and 3 thereafter. Unless the battle goes extremely long your communion slaves will definitely survive it.

That setup should get you much more firepower, though it does require a few more mages.

>can barely keep my land together because getting attacked from two sides
>by a faggot who's going on holiday and won't be playing for a while, and an incompetent who is one-third your size, just barely managed to take 2 provinces because you were looking the other way, and has lost every single battle he fought against you
Come on, let's not pretend I don't have scouts all over everyone's land.

And besides, I didn't say you were going to win. I said you were going to win if Lambert starts staling. Which isn't a difficult prediction to make.

>skeletons are pierce resistant and crossbows prefer squishier targets.
Nope. That's not how archer targeting works. Mage targeting and archer targeting are different.

The reason archers prefer mages in skelly spam scenarios is that the skeletons appear after the mages, and therefore the mage is likely to have already been targeted.

thanks
I really have only 10 magi there and want to maximize GoH output.
The enemy army is in a blob, they will be pretty easy to hit

what about 4 slaves and 6 masters? with earthpower and PotS

Enemy army composition is 200 xbow, 100 iron corpses, 80blindfighters and some more entrance guards and assorted shit.
My guts tell me he wont attack, Id just like to set up a defensive position while my other parties are taking his last bits of lands.

While I am at it, I need to plan on the finishing blow. BTW, I am ragha and want a flashy battle. I have at my disposal some turan sorcs, dastur and seraphs.
It is the end of midgame, so I guess, post fun tactics

>by a faggot who's going on holiday and won't be playing for a while

So far he hasn't gone anywhere and is doing his turn just fine. That holiday post was a some faggot trying to meme everyone into going without Dominions for a week anyway.

>an incompetent who is one-third your size

I'm not nearly as big as you think I am (nor as competent for that matter) and I keep losing my provinces to Lamert's raiders. I'm having a hard time just staying alive and I see Chimori is already on my border with their eating of Ashia.

If you're seriously trying to imply that I'm anywhere near as dangerous as the bats, than I can do nothing else but laugh at you.

>Troglodyte

>If you're seriously trying to imply that I'm anywhere near as dangerous as the bats
I never said that. I said that if you are allowed to eat Ceasidh and Ninai, you would be. Your sacreds are scary powerful, you've got a massive bless for them, and you have nearly full magic variety.

We're all lucky I'm not the only one who realised that and you're getting slowly pounded out of the game as we speak.

Y-you too

>I really have only 10 magi there and want to maximize GoH output.
4 slaves, 6 masters is probably your best bet then. Same tactics as the previous example. Fatigue per turn will be 12 using that setup.

So far nobody has posted in the Steam thread about needing a weeklong extension, until that happens I won't even consider it for obvious reasons (especially when everyone already posted there for the nations anyway).

He was going away the 25th allegedly, so maybe he's looking for a sub and therefore hasn't asked for the extension yet. That or it was just some memester who posted that to begin with.

Thanks mate
I hate doing maths, even if something simple like that
Guess I will never be good...

What a salty memester.

It's better than just going AI, at least.

Admin, could you set Jomon AI. He has been staling since turn ~10.

A legitimate strategy desu senpai.

What exactly is "Unexpected Nation?"

Does a fortress pull resources from an adjacent province even if there is a river between it and the province?

Lemuria

Yes, year round even when they are not passable.

Well since I can't take your cap since it's underwater, how about I give you gold for that province and we both go on our way?

Sure, 70 g would be good.

Sorry, forgot the name.

>notice nation of a game talking, even shitposting in the thread
>check game status
>Waiting for 2h file