BMW 318is ( E 36 ) or BMW 318i ( E46 )

BMW 318is ( E 36 ) or BMW 318i ( E46 )
which one is nicer to live with?
I like the styling of the E36 more, but it is weaker and older.

What would you pick, Veeky Forums/?
>inb4 moostang or something
europe here, so BMWs are basically the only choice I have.

Other urls found in this thread:

suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/bmw-320i-essen/226224320.html
suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=226365981
suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/bmw-323ti-compact-m-paket-tüv-neu-rockenhausen/227053822.html
suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/bmw-320i-essen/227193550.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pajeet, old Mercedes are way better for you.

Can you get your hands on an E36 328i?

pro tip, you're not impressing anyone with a $2000 bmw, a 318 is not gonna make you a "bad boss"

not a brit, but thank you m8

Makes him easy to smoke in my 325i

I don't want to impress anyone, I just want to get a more powerfull car and try for me if RWD is really so great like everyone says

I could, but I couldn't pay the insurance for it.
cheapest insurance would be as much as I would pay in full coverage for a 318is

Get at least a 320, either one is fine otherwise.
E36 is a bit easier to service yourself because the car is based on ancient tech, it's those timeless looks that tend to be extremely misleading.

But seriously, stay away from the 316's and 318's, the engines are fucking terrible trash and i don't want another retard go crying WAAH SHIT BMW RELIABILITY when he revs that half a million driven 1.8 litre 4 banger to 11k while trying to drift and wonders why the internal combustion becomes external.

>he revs that half a million driven 1.8 litre 4 banger to 11k while trying to drift
>mfw that was exactly my plan
only about 120k km tho

>more powerful
What? The only thing less powerful than a 318i is a Subaru Sherpa. They are a gutless piece of shit that leak oil. In saying that, e46 is much nicer.

>The only thing less powerful than a 318i is a Subaru Sherpa
wrong :^)

Still better to stay away, anything less than 6 cylinders in a BMW is just stupid as they aren't really the lightest cars around, they need their 6 cylinders to move effortlessly and without consuming like an American V8.
E30 is the exception though as that thing was quite light and the old M10 engine was bomb proof.
If you want a 318, get the E30 instead.

Lel true, but a Sherpa is much more amusing.

>forgetting the E28

well done, faggot

I'll looked the 320i up, actually not that many kilometers on them and quite okay priced, somehow insurance is actually quite managable.
so you say i6 or go home?
suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/bmw-320i-essen/226224320.html

I believe that, not that the Punto is a shitty car, it's actually quite fun and going strong for the fact that it has an engine damage and a fucked up clutch.
that's the reason I'm looking for something new, I'll try to get some money out of the punto since it's a financially total loss, fixing it would be more expensive than getting a new car.
And since Veeky Forums is all about dat RWD meme and I wanted to try a BMW myself anyways, I thought now it's the time to look out for one.

Beemers are fine, just at least get a 6. The 4s are horrid. Trust me, I'm a mechanic. I also prefer the e39, and they are normally reasonably priced, as all the kids want the 3 series.

thanks man, a Friend actually told me the same. also a mechanic, but for motorcycles. A big BMW fan tho, so I trust him with that.

do these engines survive LPG conversions?

E28's are beyond his price range most probably, and if we're talking about the E2X, better go E24 then.

Well yeah, with the late 80's and 90's BMW's it's either straight six or straight fucked.

Also, give the 5 series a glance over, they're usually cheaper than the 3 series because every little boyracer wants a 3 series.
Personally prefer the 5 series over the 3's because more room without being gargantuan like the 7 series. But if you go 5 series, stay the fuck away from the 4 bangers even harder, they are extremely overstressed in those cars and failures are an everyday occurrence.

thanks, will look at the 5er later and see how much insurance and fuel it would cost.
the thing is I am also that type of person that's the 3er BMW stigma has, at least here in Germany its either a turk or me:
> 21 year old white boi from the villages who wants to hoon like a mad cunt and drift on public streets and rev at people at stoplights

I get you senpai, in that case the E34 5 series or the later E39 5 series would fit better. More room for bitches and with little work they can look intimidating as fuck.
The 5 series also offer much larger and more powerful engines than the 3 series, you can have a real monster hidden in that body.

They should technically be fine for LPG, but don't. They are pretty decent on fuel. 5er is a much nicer drive.

noice, saved for future researches.
more power also means more fuel and more expensive insurance. maybe. will have to look.
>tfw autismo so you'll never have your car full with bitches
Allright, they don't seem to really take much more than the Punto because of the fucked engine it takes almost 10l / 100km
kek

Well actually, my mate had a 535 E34 and he got a steady 7 litres per 100km on that thing, despite the fucker pushing out a bit over 200bhp. Bigger engine usually means more power and more torque, which also helps to move the heavier bodies, which in turn MIGHT translate in smaller fuel consumption. I know for sure that the 520 and 525 E34 for example consume much less than the 518 for example.

Also, they aren't really THAT expensive to own as parts generally are quite affordable and the most you'll have to buy is bushings and other chassis shit that wears down over time, the mechanical parts in older BMWs are bullet proof.

>Well actually, my mate had a 535 E34 and he got a steady 7 litres per 100km on that thing,
Yeah, bullshit. The only way that's happening is if the 100km he's traveling is down a 10% grade. Or he's only paying attention to a faulty swingometer fuel economy read out.

what about the electrics?

get a 5 series wagon, amerifriends would be mad jelly.

On the E34? Lol, what electrics? Unless you're getting a loaded 540 or something like that, it will have fuckall.
E39's are a bit more complicated as they are more modern, but nothing too bad really. Generally they are quite reliable and shouldn't be giving you much trouble unless you go poking them or start pulling your own wires.

so no electrics?
nice.

There are, but they're extremely simplistic and crude, no fancy lights, lasers and other modern bullshit

M43 and M44 4cyls are some of the most reliable BMW engines ever, I've owned 2 very high mileage BMWs with an M46B16 and M43B18 (still own, it's my gfs daily driver), gutless but unkillable.
The newer 4cyls (N42) and the older belt driven 4cyls (M40) were shit.
If OP wants an e36 318 he should buy one made from 1994 not older

>m46b16
I meant M43B16, the 1.6 liter

Neither is ok to live with wtf yuropoors stop it with this anemic 4 cyl 316i bullshit. Do you enjoy being passed by taxis?

>you'll never have your car full with bitches

Thank god

First time ever I managed to pull chicks with a car was with my previous BMW, they loved it. Thanks to that shitboxe, I got my current gf.
Dunno about you lot but for me the BMW meme magic actually worked.

lmao no one talked about the 316
and what do you think our taxis are?

Elliot pls

No seriously, I fucking wonder how that fuck didn't manage to pull even the most vapid of skanks? I mean, there surely must be at least one gold digger in the US of A.

My shitbox wasn't even a 3 series.

HOLY SHIT
whoever recommended the E38 5 series, thanks m8
that bitch costs literally as much as my Punto in insurance while having almost double the HP
>fucking insurance how does it work?
1200 bucks a year for a 150 HP rwd barge sounds good imho.

>E38
* E 39

Yeah, they're fucking magic. There's also the 523, 525 and 528 with the same M50 engine but even more power.

Those things are great in both hauling ass AND cruising comfortably. The engines also are quite bomb proof.

BMWs get a lot of shit and bad rep, but they're actually quite decent cars even as daily drivers and offer an awful lot of bang for your buck.

E38's are even sexier, but I reckon they're out of your price range.

>There's also the 523, 525 and 528 with the same M50 engine
kek we don't want to go too much over the top with this, I'm not rich enough to pay insurance for that one. Maybe insurance, but not fuel.
>combined 7l / 100km
that's also what I average with my Punto, damn thats pretty good.

A 525i or 528i drinks literally as much fuel as a 520i, it`s the same engine only with a slightly bigger displacement.
If you can afford the insurance on a 523i or 528i, go for it
the 520i is very slow compared to them

there aren't even 523 or 528 for sale that I could pay except for this one
suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=226365981
will look insurance for it now.

with how many HP did the 3 series E 36 and the E46 get the i6?
because I have to look also because of parking space, I just relaized that the 5er is quite the boat
>same measurements as our van
kek

>between 1400 and 2k per year
nah m8
nah. not gonna happen, otherwise I can't pay for fuel i guess.

>3k for a pre facelift 523i
jesus, you can get one for 1000 euros in north/eastern europe
E36s, E46s and E39s had 150hp, 170hp, 192hp, 193hp and 231hp petrol 6 cyls.
so the best you can insure is a 318i or 520i?

>eastern europe
yeah that's because you are stealing them all the time :^)
yes, I think the 318i or 520 are the best I can do.
i will look for a i6 E36 and E46 tho now, and see how expensive that is.

suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/bmw-323ti-compact-m-paket-tüv-neu-rockenhausen/227053822.html
this weirdo here would be 1.900,68 € for full coverage
holy shit the Coupés are expensive.

suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/bmw-320i-essen/227193550.html

1600 for full coverage, not even 100k km
dude says "slightly losing oil"
what do

this

have an E30 project with an m40b16- noisy and gutless, can be economical. havent tortured my E30 because why would I, but for the 10 000 km i had driven that engine it was reliable. swapped in a fiddled M42 because thats what i wanted. also its quicker than B20`s so its a nice kek to beat 6cyl with a 4 banger. E36 320`s are nice to bait. 2.5`s are out my league no question, even though my car weighs 250 kg less.
a friend had a E36 318 with an m43 as a first car to hoon in snow and rain- he beat the fuck out of that engine and it stayed smooth and reliable. the body had rot to hell, but hey, 200 euros and legal techincal inspection for a year is a damn bargain. after crashing it twice he sold it for 400 euros.
bmw`s can be reliable if youre not a lame cunt who cant do proper maintanance the car deserves. yeah, its more expensive, but that doesnt mean it cant be reliable.

what M42 outruns an e36 320? just curious
that is expensive for a pre facelift 320
i`m seeing some black 320i sedans for 1700 euros at mobile.de , for 3k you shold be able to afford a facelift 320i with the 2.2 engine

>`m seeing some black 320i sedans for 1700 euros at mobile.de
but with how many Kilometers?
or doesn't it really matter with them?

honestly a higher mileage E46 can be more reliable than a sub 100.000 km one as all the stuff that breaks at 100-120k km would be already replaced
I've owned a 380.000 km E46 328 and it was in a better mechanical condition than my current 170k km 325i e46

kek
so it's all about the maintenance and not the Kilometers?

desu I would just be perfectly fine with a 4 door E36 with decent power, because I like its looks more than the E46, but if the E46 is better I could sacrifice that.
The aftermarket parts are all still getting made, right?

Not OP but how is the E39 540i? I want dat V8 senpai

e36 320 - 1300 kg 150hp, mostly already beat up engine with ~3.4 diff with some moron driving it
E30 318is - 1100 kg 150hp (140 stock, should be above 150, fully rebuilt, chip, port n polish, custom exhaust manifold, intake heater delete), 4.10 welded diff with someone who knows the car in and out.
guess its mostly in the diff.
for some perverse reason i like the m42 + e30 combo. doesnt work in e36`s because they are too heavy. also i didnt build the car for drag racing (thats what b28 swaps are for), i just wanted something fun,
flat capped wearing stancers think because theres a 316 badge its slow. its isnt fast, not gonna pretend there, surprising more like.

The E36 is my favourite. Beautiful car, nice color, cheapest to buy and cheapest to have under full coverage.

What do I have to look out for when going for an E36?

rust rust rust rust rust cooling rust rust rust rust
they are mechanically solid, provided the previous owner wasnt cheap.
also did i mention rust?
just take it to a shop. for a nice example check carthrottles short dude with his m3 lemon. and thats a car living in fucking britain with no winters, imagine what happens in the north.

>provided the previous owner wasnt cheap
he said that the service book is complete, means serivces were done when they should have been done etc

>just take it to a shop
so I just go there and tell them to look at the car if it is worth the money?

interesting, though I`ve never seen an E30 318is in my area, I thought they were America exclusive
on old cars like the E36, E46, yeah its more about the maintenance and condition, they do tend to rust out
And I see what you mean, I love E36s as well even though the E46 is a better car to live with daily (more comfort, better safety), try to find a decent e36 320i sedan, preferably with an M package, they`re sweet
parts are not a problem for BMWs in Europe

I feel like it's not worth it to own a BMW if you're getting a 318, and I say that as a fanboy. The 318 is slow enough that you may as well get a merc, depending on what you buy it may be a little bit more reliable and it'll be more oriented towards slow luxury. The 318 isn't a bad car, I guess it's still sort of sporty, but it's slow, and I don't see a reason in buying a car made for performance but getting the slowest engine.

the 318 is cheap to buy and cheap to upkeep, gets good mpg`s, is light weight, makes just enough power to drift on wet asphalt, a decent learner RWD car. Much better to drive than a merc for the same price.

if the car is sold by a jungle bunny or a cockroach, the papers are likely to be forged. people do that shit.

yep, take it to shop, dont trust the seller`s suggested shop, could be that the seller already has made a deal with the shop guy to fool you. never trust your own judgement, unless youre a certified mechanic. once bought a colander of a car because i thought i knew how to buy a used car, guess what- i fucking didnt.

>rust
whats it like living in a shitty state

E39, but you are welcome friend. They are a damn nice car for the price.

>shitty state
pretty much the whole europe
except southern countries like spain, portugal, italy, greece

oh and is your insurance 1600 euros per year?
that sucks man
I insure my 3.0 diesel bmw 7 series for 150 euros per year with only 2 years of driving experience