Ok, I am learning how to drive manual in a 71' super beetle. I started learning a couple days ago...

Ok, I am learning how to drive manual in a 71' super beetle. I started learning a couple days ago, I'm not bad but also not good, and I have a few questions...

1. If I am approaching a stop while cruising in 4th gear what am I supposed to do?

2. If I am letting the clutch out, is there anytime when I don't have to press the gas?

3. What is the best way to get going from a stop

Thanks in advance for the help

Also, what do I do while in traffic if I can't find a gear, happens a lot going from 1st to 2nd

>1. If I am approaching a stop while cruising in 4th gear what am I supposed to do?
Start braking and press the clutch down before your engine stalls
>2. If I am letting the clutch out, is there anytime when I don't have to press the gas?
You can get some diesel cars moving without pressing the gas
>3. What is the best way to get going from a stop
Like you get off normally? Release the clutch and add gas

Don't panic and find the gear

1. Take it out of gear and apply the brakes. If you don't have to come to a complete stop, put it in the correct gear for your speed and carry on

2. I guess, but I've never had to in my car

3. First gear unless you're in the snow

Git gud
This will happen, just see it as a stepping stone toward gitting gud

Thanks, whenever I approach a stop I can never find 1st gear, annoying as hell, damn old cars

You can get some petrol cars moving withoutthe gas. Just can't get into as high a gear as a diesel as there is less torque

One last thing, what the hell is the point in downshifting

How can you not find it? You mean it doesn't go in? You have to be completely static or it won't go in

It's necessary around some really tight curves if you are performance oriented. Mostly just trackday stuff

Then go into second gear?

I'm completely stopped, clutch all the way in, and the stick keeps going into 3rd, same with when I want to go to second, it only wants to go into 4th or reverse

Is it ok to go from a standstill in second gear??

If you can, but why would you?

Sometimes... Probably half the time more like, I can't find 1st gear, it just won't go in, the car is 45 years old, so it's kinda hard to find 1st and 2nd because of their positions

1. down shift, let the clutch out kinda slow till you get the feel for it.
2. when you're down shifting to slow down or stop. you can blip the throttle a little to match RPM's if necessary.
3. all i can say is be gentle, its a bug not a race car
4. fuck everyone behind, seriously don't give 2 shits what they say or do. focus on the car and what you're trying to do and where you are going, that is the most important thing. if someone hits you from behind they are at fault.

Good luck, I learned how to drive manual in a baja bug with short desert gears and fucked up synchros, I maxed 4th at 60mph but most of the time I cruised around at 20-30mph because I couldn't get it into another gear. I really learned patience and proper gear selection in that old POS and I miss it, but I'm glad I moved to a faster car.

Are you pressing the clutch all the way down?

Most cars won't allow you to go into first gear if you're traveling at any speed above second gear speeds.

Yep, completely pressed, but whatever

Is there an alternative to downshifting, like can I just press in the clutch and break while in neutral, plus my car has a short shifter on it, no long throws for gears

>what the hell is the point in downshifting?

are you retarded? seriously, just think about why you would need/want to downshift

That's why he asked mr.elitist benchracer

>71' super beetle
>71 foot super beetle
How did you find one so big?

Pull it down into second and back into first while holding the clutch, itll move the dog teeth enough to get into gear,

IIRC 1st is not synchroed in those cars.

Reading these threads triggers me, since you can't even get a license if you can't drive stick where I'm from.

blog posts get hidden

I drive a 74 daily.
You wanna pull the stick towards the back of the car, not pushing it downward with your hand, and do it gently. Not sideways, just straight back.
If you put it down, it will go into reverse, just pull it towards you.
If you can't drive this, good luck with a six speed.

1. Push in clutch, go to neutral. Do not downshift in a beetle. Never use the transmission for breaking, that transaxle isn't designed for it and will cause massive wear.
2. On a beetle, no.
3. "Fan" the gas pedal. A lot of people will press the gas pedal and rev the piss out of the engine as they let out the clutch. If you fan the throttle, so the engine revs up (lets say 2500 Rpm's, then let it come down to 1500, then blip it again up to 2500) you can then let out the clutch without stalling or doing a burnout. The clutch transfers a given amount of power that corresponds to pedal position. Example - with made up numbers- at half pedal it will transfer 50 HP,
NOT- at half pedal it will transfer 50% of engine power being generated at that time.
If you can umderstand this difference, it makes starts a lot easier.
So engine Rpm's don't matter, as long as you're making enough power not to stall.
Let the clutch out a small amount, let it start to grab then pause as you begin to move forward, then let the clutch out some more. Its not a single motion to let out the clutch- its in stages.

If you are slowing for a curve or traffic but you anticipate accelerating again, you downshift into the gear best suited to your slower speed. If you are going to come to a complete stop, don't bother. Just let the engine slow to near idle, clutch in, put trans in neutral and stop (with brake). Put it back in first only when it's time to go again.

found it in your mum's vagina