So, Veeky Forums, serious question here

So, Veeky Forums, serious question here.
I'm a car lover, about to go into the U.S. military (Navy if anyone cares), and I was wondering if it'd be a decent idea to get a car financed while I'm deployed.
Should I go for it and get a new car? Advice against it? Pretty much all of my money would be going towards this, as I'd have no other real expenses while deployed, and I'm planning on staying in the military until retirement, so I'll be thinking about houses a bit later on.
Pic related, the car I'd probably get financed. Been my dream car since I heard they were finally being released in the U.S.

Why pay for something you're not going to be using? And cars don't like to sit for long.

They sell in the mid to high 40s and

I'd be having my dad start it up and drive it occasionally, and do preventative maintenance on it while I'm gone, to make sure it doesn't turn into a shitheap. I'd just prefer to have something fun I can drive around in and take to the track when I'm home.

Rather than financing it while you are away and not able to drive it, why not just save while you are away and buy it when you come back?

Good luck in the navy homie.

Why buy it then leave?
Save the money you would have spent on the monthly payments while you're not even driving it, and instead use them as a larger down payment so the monthly payments once you actualy have it are even lower.

/thread

how about you save that money for when your ready to buy a house or start a buissness

there are countless adds on craigslist made by deployed people who didnt think before they went out and bought a car then got sent to fight a war

wanna guess how that goes over?

>military

Kek, enjoy PTSD and no future benefits after slaving over for your political cuckold puppet masters.

Best friend shot himself in my guest room after 6 years in the Navy, got out and was so jaded and pissed at the fact no one would hire him even with his degrees.

Yeah good luck op, don't think just because you're deployed means you won't need or want money.

You can't /thread your own post faggot

Wtf are you doing man. What rank? Fellow military here. (Marine) why just save that shit till you either get out buy something nice in cash. Pic semi-related. Just a few more months and this bitch is mine.

You wont be home often enough for it to matter, save your money, don't make the retarded choices like normal enlistees.

What was his job? Seems like he had alot more issues than just being deployed. Sorry to hear about your loss fampai.
This, don't be stupid op. How old are you?

just wait til you finish your tour plus all the dealerships have millitary discount.

Financing is retarded no matter what you're doing.
Your rate's important though, for example if you're a nuke you're going to be spending at least a year and a half between A school, power school, and prototype in Charleston so having a car is advisable. Financing one is not.

Definitely wait until you get out, by that time the hype of the RS will have died down and it won't be as hard to get your hands on. I'm on the list and it's still been hell to try to get any details of where my car is from Ford. Also I got mine for $34,000 so don't be a cuck and pay sticker no matter what the dealer says. If I'm not mistaken Ford actually has a really good military discount too.

Went in as nuke, ended as a gunners mate. Had several friends kill themselves while he was in, never got over it.

If there's one thing I couldve done differently when I was in the Corps, it would be to NOT buy a car for as long as possible... or at least just buy a pos beater. That way you can just pocket all your pay.

NO!

I've givent the Old Sarge lecture to many and now it's OPs turn.

Do not fucking make the noob mistake of buying a vehicle (or marrying some Mary Jane Rottencrotch) you aren't physically around to drive and maintain. Bank your loot in a military credit union, and if TSP is still an option check it out. You can start stashing money as a habit early and then you can have MANY toys.

Sitting is fucking horrid for vehicles. Modern 'fuel' deteriorates and stick injectors even with stability additives. Corrosion accumulates. People fuck with and steal shit. Tires outgas and dry-rot.

Car dealers know new troops are ripe targets for a savage financial buttfuck.

BTW always think "career" in the military. 20 flies by and if you do it right and stay a bit longer for pay bumps you can easily avoid ever having to work again. Then you can fap to lolis and poast on /b/ and Veeky Forums until you die.

Just save your money, then buy the car all at once when you get back. Don't be another debt ridden military dude, it's embarrassing to watch.
Also the car will be cheaper that way. Hell, even if you just make a big downpayment and take the rest out in a loan, it's a smaller amount.

Fucking place can be a monster.
O shit, this guy's got it down. Though that extra bit of pay is nice if your married but if you get married op, you better makes sure she has a job and can afford to live on her own without your pay

Don't do it man. You'll end up in some Petty Officer or LT's power point presentation about financial responsibility that your entire section will have to watch after they find out you got it at like 20% APR.

This, and creditors KNOW the chain of command better than most troops.

If you ever get to do temporary First Sgt. (dunno what Navy calls 'em) duty later in your career have at it. It's HIGHLY educational and nothing Hollywood could invent beats military and dependent (fuck calling them "family members") soap operas. I've seen shit that makes the senpaitachi on GoT look functional. Nothing like a dependapottamus wailing because her dear husband blew all their money in Vegas after he spent his TDY advance on hookers...

>hasn't even joined the military
>already thinks he'll retire after 20 years
wew...

So basically you're buying a car for your dad that you'll drive a few days out of the year? Ok, you love your dad, I guess. He lucked out when he had you with your mom.

Might want to ask him what kind of car he'd like to drive around and maintain, he might not be too much into the Focus RS.

Soldiers are fapping to lolis and traps these days?

I'm scared.

>military browsing the 4chins
You'd be surprised how much free time we actually have, even with our constant bitching and moaning.

Couldn't agree any more with what this guy said, save up your money meng, that's how I bought my used car straight up cash when I came back from Korea, shit sucked but now I essentially have no payments to make.

Also wait until you can actually drive the actual thing before purchasing it. Had a pal of mine who bought a brand new '08 S4, then had sit in storage while in deployment and it pretty much rusted his breaks shut, he had to sell the shit.

just put it in a savings acct or something

Don't. Seriously.

Just honorably seperated from the navy last week. Going to college next on those sweet post 9/11 bux.

By financing and adding interest on the principle, you'll become a running joke that senior sailors and marines just love to poke fun at. Ive seen it way too often. Some FNG buys a sweet new GT-R, or a shiny new pickup with thousands of dollars worth of lift kit, or something else far out of their paygrade and reach 4 to 6 years and realize they saved jack shit. Worst case, one of the navy's laugable "personnel retention tools" is used to decide your not worth re-enlisting and you get denied for re-enlistment. Now you have 0 savings, a shiny toy, and you have nothing to show for your time in financially. Im not saying you will get denied but Ive seen a junior finance a 12' mustang, get masted, kicked out 2 years in and now hes holding a bag of dicks he can't afford. These things happen.

My best advice is bum rides from the guy in the dept who has the car, save like a madman, earn a little credibility by deploying you shellback, and come back to homeport with enough in your pocket to buy whatever outright. Sharks are just waiting for juniors with a steady paycheck to walk through the door to finance.

Im telling you the wait is worth it. I bought a $500 beater for my first station and saved like a lunatic to buy my meme dream machine BRZ with cash outright. On top of my toy, I saved tons for a cushy emergency fund and Veeky Forums investments.

Btw only about 17% of all military personnel actually make it to that pension. All the rest were weeded out for misconduct, were denied retention, or simply didnt like the daily BS that comes with military service. Think about that.

>So, Veeky Forums, serious question here.
>does not ask a serious question

fuck off, welfare queen