275/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super spot

275/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super spot

Or

285/40/18 Continental Extreme DW

Which would you rather get on a 10 inch wide wheel? I need to order soon.

You could get memed out of your money and get the Michelins or you could get an actual good tire for the money and get nittos or hankooks

is that barely visible checkered flag and all season tread pattern really worth the 100 dollar premium

I've driven a lot on both, I like the Contis more, especially for the price

>hankook
>good tires

pick one.

Have Nitto NT555's and they're ok they hold purty good.

Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position

conti extremecontacts are pretty decent. supersports are a little better but cost a shitload more for a difference that is really only noticeable on track and minuscule at that

I can only speak on the PSS. They're a great tire. ultra quiet and great feel. kinda pricey tho

Unless they're too short a 285/30R18 or 275/35R18 Bridgestone Re71r will smoke both of those tires.

They're fantastic tires, but I wouldn't say they're anything close to ultra quiet.

Got 4 Pilot Sport 4's on my shitbox, grips pretty good desu.

no shit a set of bridgestones would cost $300 more.

Re71 will also last like half the time/mileage than the tires being discussed.
S04s are more comparable.

My SS is running Extreme Contact DW's

275/45/20 I think. Honestly they're probably the best performance for your money, can't go wrong with PSS though.

>the best performance for your money,
wouldn't that be some cut slicks?

Does anyone have experience with these? I'm seriously considering a set given the price.

>I can only speak on the PSS. They're a great tire. ultra quiet and great feel. kinda pricey tho

They are not quiet tires. The time the tires are most quiet are when they are super new and those thousands of little rubber whiskers are sticking out of the surface of the tire. Until they wear off smooth, almost any tire seems to be gloriously quiet.

Others who have had Pilots and ContiExtremeContacts have told me they are noisy tires once they are worn in a bit. I currently use ContiProContact and those seem on the edge of acceptable noise to me in my current car. Yes, it's unfortunate I grew up riding cadillac and lexus. I got spoiled on quietness. I guess I'm not fit to be a Hooner like you guys who not only enjoy the white knuckle turns, the fast deep beating of your heart as if you were having sex but instead you are taking the turns hard, or the throaty loud REeee of your exhaust. I guess I'm spoiled as I like the quiet moaning instead of the loud yelling.

as we're on the subject can anyone recommend some quiet and comfy tyres, with good wet weather performance?

why did you reply to my post twice?
yes, they're very quiet, even when worn.
I'm on my second set in as many cars.

The super sports are a meme tire for a great reason, they are a GREAT tire.
If you are looking for Max performance out of a DD car, MPSS is the way to go. They are not the best tire sold, but they are very very likely the best compromise possible. The only real flaw is the $

Go with the DW tires for a car that will see rain, for something that is only fair weather driven the PSS are better.

Went with the Conti DW's myself, had PSS before. Conti's have like 97% of the dry grip but are noticeably better in the wet and have massively better hydroplane resistance.

>tfw 195/50r15
>no more cutting edge tyres ever again

Yeah and don't forget that the RE71R tire is almost scary in the wet, and will last maybe 12k mile, if you drive like a grandma?
A much much better track/HPDE/ tire absolutely, but if it's on a road car, the MPSS are way better.

>220hp shitbox
>has PSS

kill yourself if you have less than 450hp at 3300lbs and even consider PSS

Tire quality is more about turning and handling, not power.

>220hp
>turning

The fucking BRcuck can turn just fine with Prius tires

It turns better with better tires.

>cooper

not even once. shit tires which the tread separates from the sidewall at the shoulder. do not get cooper tires.

I've been running nt555 g2 nittos, the brand new ones and the dry grip and great wet performance make me want to ditch the drag radials and run the 555 g2s on the rear also.

>why did you reply to my post twice?
?? I am not that other guy.

hankook is a great tire company. you probably think michelin is good dont you?

>Pilot super sports
>Stock on gt350 and many exotics
>Not good
Lol you are dumb man

Hankooks are fitted as standard on kias, Michelins are standard on most things going round the ring under 7:30.
I bet you think you know better than hundreds of the best auto engineers in the world don't you.
>inb4 waah logical fallacies
>inb4 baww your statistics aren't 100% accurate

DWs for a daily driver. PSS for anything that needs to do double duty at the track.

Don't fuck around. Get the Pilots and be satisfied in knowing you made the best decision

>premature side wall cracking before first year is over
>water sipes tear
>tread literally separates from the steel belts
michelin. not even once.

i have had mine for over a year and none of these have happened

>Go with the DW tires for a car that will see rain, for something that is only fair weather driven the PSS are better.
>Went with the Conti DW's myself, had PSS before.

Ahh, I wish I could use Conti DW but their lower performance sibling the Conti DWS would be able to handle the black ice days we get in wintertime. From the way the DW tread looks, it would slide forever on black ice so insta-wreck over here.

This, ive been running them on my s4 for a number of years, fantastic for grip and steering response but the road noise does get you thinking a window is open when you first work them in. Mfw i thought a drive line was going on the car untill i noticed it happens on the same spot and time on the highway each morning, ya it was the tires on some odd groved pavement. I still recomend them tho

Yeah, Michi Pilots are very loud for me too. I have no real winter in the southwest so summer tires are good all year round. But they were so loud that after I wore them down, I went back to the Dunlop sports with AA rated traction. Less grip on sharp cornering as they drift unlike the PSS which HANG ON TIGHT (damn good).

When I did have the PSS, I would try to scare the passengers on lunchtime drives to a new lunch place (we tried to eat at as many different places we could). The key thing is to take advantage of human psychology and talk things up a little before hand. Then as I go into an intersection whose pavement I know, I have a bit of speed at 20MPH and brake some as I am still straight before the turn, I am now down to fairly slow speed, and I have turned and now the first 2/5 of the body is across the turn. I press the accelerator and the horsepower goes straight thru the PSS into the pavement and the car whips tightly around the turn. Because the rear 3/5 of the car is both moving forward and turning the corner, that double motion makes the passengers feel that they are going much faster than they actually are. The key is those PSS which grip and the car which has enough horsepower to make conti tires squeal if I accelerate.

I go around the turn and it is not even as fast as a fast driver. But the psychological effect of talking it up before the turn and then whipping their bodies around the turn in a way they cannot ever have felt in their own cars (which don't use PSS or better) impressed them. They now think of me as the madman driver going around turns at 30MPH when it was only a safe10MPH at most since I braked from 20MPH down to about 5MPH as the needle was near the very bottom. If I tried that with the AA traction-rated dunlops, I might drift the turn since whipping the back end is basically similar to a controlled fishtail. I can dare on that turn because both destination lanes are very wide.

>wouldn't that be some cut slicks?
Need street legal. Don't think self-siped slicks count.

Is there an infograph on what those tires numbers mean? Never bothered to learn about it

they do in the uk and the us is usually more liberal

Anyone have experience with the road noise transmitted from the ContiExtremeContact DWS tires? DWS instead of DW has quite different tread despite having the same family name. In my opinion other tire companies would have given it a different name altogether.

dw. worlds cheaper.

My Re71rs are great in the rain. I got 10k street miles out of them with 5 autoX and 2 track days. With a set of winters that means a new set every year, which is fine by me. Driving around on super grippy tires is fun so what's another few hundred dollars more a year? Are people on here seriously so poor that they run junk tires all year rather than a good sticky summer tire and dedicated winter tire? The difference in grip at the limit between a PSS and Re71r is so great it will make the PSS look like an all season. The Re71r is basically an r-compound with tread blocks.

285mm wide
40% of the width in sidewall height
18" in diameter

Conti DWS

get 205/50/15 and you can get yoko S.Drives which are pretty decent.

dw isnt a junk tire and i would trash a set of re's in a couple months.
not worth the extra $1k a year for street hooning.

if I wanted a track tire I would buy a track tire.

I have 185/60r14. You don't even understand my pain, performance all seasons or racing slicks are all I got

s drives are like 12 year old at this point.

Lots of companies do that actually. Look at Yokohama with the Geolandar line

yeah but they still make 15" and they're pretty good. nice turn in and grip. a little noisy.

275= 275mm wide
40= percentage of the tires width in the sidewall, called aspect ratio
18= the wheel is an 18 inch wheel

Bridgestone Dueler Alenza
Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus
Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2
Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 A/T
Bridgestone Dueler H/P
Bridgestone Dueler H/L

Lots of companies do it.

To the people running summer tires, how long do they last you? I need a new set of tires and was thinking of summer tires since winter does not exist where I live, but I'm worried that they will wear down too quickly. I think getting all-seasons would be good for road trip confidence, but I'm worried that they will last too long and start to crack well before they wear down completely, which is the case with my current tires.

>My SS
who mean the commodore import from aus?

Always seemed stupid.
But op, wtf fits on your car?
275 is as wide as I can go- so if you have the same car,you'd be a retard

Cooper Zeon rs3-s
or
Hankook Ventus evo2 k120
?
215/45/17 btw

I'm also considering those coopers, same size but 225. I'll go to pep boys to check them out in person, if they say made in usa, i'll get them off ebay (sikk dealz, yo).

Have you looked into the hancooks as well? I've been dead set on the coopers for a while but I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

The DW is a summer compound so it wouldn't even be good in cold weather. The DWS is ok, but nothing's saving you from black ice, don't kid yourself.

Who's going to check? Also they make DOT rated slicks with minimal siping.

They're pretty quiet, both the Continentals are.

>They're pretty quiet, both the Continentals are

Thanks. I may give the Continental DWS a try then as my all-season performance tire when my current OEM tires run out.

> are people so poor
> winter tires
> living in pleb tier conditions

I don't want directional tires familia

>hankoook
>nitto
>not shit
Must suck being poor

Dunlop and Bridgestone are my goto for tires.

Gross

The contis are 99% as good for like 1/2 the price, obvious choice

I have a set of 225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my coilover'ed 240sx, god like grip in wet and dry, high speed stability is orgasmic, and quiet. Also, dat mileage warranty.

Are they 91 or 94XL?

The Re71r has a noticeable drop off under about 65 degrees. It gets into the 50s and sometimes the 40s here in the winter.

I just blew up an Eagle RSA after less than two years and 50k miles. They rode kinda shit too and I liked them less than the old Cumhoes that came with the car. I need tires that can deal with 100 mile daily commutes, constantly sunny weather, occasionally terrible roads and maybe some light trail competency. It's an R18 civic.

>The Re71r has a noticeable drop off under about 65 degrees. It gets into the 50s and sometimes the 40s here in the winter.
Then hopefully the ContiExtreme DWS will be good enough. I will try those next. If I don't rotate, I might be able to get close enough to justify replacing them with the DWS by next spring. I guess I am not hooning enough to wear the tires down. With that much time to go, it makes me wonder if Conti is planning a change for the DWS just like they did for the ProContact when they superseded it with the PureContacts.

>The Re71r has a noticeable drop off under about 65 degrees.

Is 65 degrees a good rule of thumb for the lower temperature limit of summer tires?