/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

4archive.org/board/v/thread/345109536
youtube.com/watch?v=iJOUTSy0fQI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for scrubs

Any recommendations?

YandereDev was right.

4archive.org/board/v/thread/345109536

Either make a casual thing in Construct Classic (I think it's free) or get yourself GameMaker, which I recommend for 2D beginners anyway.

Unless you're feeling ambitious, then maybe you could try Love2D, which is free but probably more difficult to get into.

Okay, fail, let's try again

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I love character creators and always wanted to make my own with 2D art. Similiar to portraits in JRPGs or VNs, and I was wondering: what program would you recommend to make quite the detailed character creator in?

I only know a bit of Ren'py that's all.

>letting yourself get cucked by redditors in lewd jam
Bet you wish you'd voted for stealth jam now, huh?
itch.io/jam/stealth

Fuck of YandereDev.

>i pandered to you
and nothing of value was lost

The fomori warrior has now all sprites except death sprites, which is why it has infinite hp at the moment. It's hard as balls to fight against so I might have to adjust it a bit or just have it very end game enemy or something.

Well, he's not wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions! Are there tutorials for programming a character creator in GameMaker?
Not sure how I'd start, maybe it's a bit too advanced for a beginner

You'll need to make the features, eyes nose mouth hair head, etc sperate objects, and have controllers for each one to make it change type, size, position etc. And I doubt there is a tutorial

Do you want the characters to be animated?

If not, it's waaaaay easier. The process is essentially drawing sprites to the screen in a certain draw order. You'd have slots in the character for hair, eyes, clothes, etc etc. Then store all the variations in a sprite sheet or separate images, and display one sprite for each slot.

The problem with yandere dev is that he always hated any critism, unless you worded it as softly as possible. It has also been confirmed multiple times he sued to shill his own threads on /v/ and attack himself while forgetting to get the trip off, just so the discussion continued or someone would feel the need to protect him.

Good for him that he succeeded, but he is a crybaby, like everyone else is on an anonymous imageboard. The different between this place and reddit, is that people there tend to hide their feelings and just type feels good shit for the karma.

> another dev driven out by Veeky Forums

The problem with devs is is that when they get a certain amount of attention they enter the "honeymoon" phase. Everyone loves them, everyone wants to be their friend. But then the board culture kicks in and you get trolled, shit on by randoms and bullied. So the dev or any other person that got attention, goes into shock. They want to continue being special, while avoiding being bullied, but they fail to realise that the way Veeky Forums works, the nail that sticks out gets hammered the most.

It happens again and again with different devs.

Not really but it's actually really easy to work out the logic once you get into the hang of working in Game Maker.

Game Maker has a free trial that never expires (it just watermarks your .exe exports), so if you aren't gonna pirate or buy the program then you can always just use the trial until you decide you like it (or not).

Here, I'll send you a Game State template I gave to another user last week. I'll even make a quick sample demonstrating graphics swapping. Check back in like half an hour (use that time to install GM if you don't already have it)

I personally hate his game and I'm glad he's fucked off for good

You're also forgetting that YandereDev got attacked pretty hard. He got doxxed and his code was released to the public. Uncalled for honestly.

Can you do it in Ren'py?
Usually its better to just use what you are already familiar with so you can make progress fast. If renpy cant do it then maybe use something python based? I personally would use Unity but only because I know the engine very well.

Nooo, not animated. Basically like those character makers people make in Flash, but Flash sucks and I want to make lots of different options for characters.

That sounds awesome!! Thanks a lot, user

I dont visit /addg/ often but hot damn

Judging from this webm, this looks like it has the potential to be something very great.

I would fucking play the shit out of this.

any lewds in this game or is it not that kind of game senpai

>He got doxxed
Brought that upon himself by saying he's someone people would know and hate if they knew who he was. Fucking idiot.

Fucking sick bro

I'm not too good with Ren'py and can only do really basic stuff with it.
Do you think it's hard to make something like this in Unity? Basically it's supposed like those Flash character makers people make (but Flash sucks) and I want to make it a bit mroe advanced.

Lately I saw some webm of a character creator for a game called "Jack-o-Nine-Tails 2" or something and they made a basic character creator in unity I think. I wonder if it's manageable for a beginner

Found it! I was thinking about something similiar to this, but instead of a drop down menu on the left something more like symbols you can click or something

Looking great, It almost looks like a anime fight choreography, but now I feel Noir's animations look a little bit too stiff compared to his.

Maybe so, but this is what you can expect from this place. You need to keep as much of your personal information away from it. If you get doxxed, it means you slipped and you have yourself to blame. Having your code released is something you can't avoid I guess if you release a demo publically, but again. Who cares if your code is released for a fucking pre alpha prototype of a prototype? If the dev is really afraid, you can always obfuscate.

And bullying, well, you shouldn't give people a reason to bully you. Like I said yanderedev has always been very very sensitive. He used to get triggered at the smallest of things. People noticed it and used to do it just to do it. Again, it's the nature of the board. People enjoy their banter here and if you have a thin skin and let them get to you, you will be overrun. Then you throw a tantrum and leave. Are there better communities than Veeky Forums? ofcourse there are. Good for him that he found his place, but I wish people stopped making it seem like they deserve somekind of special treatment and that THEY alone got bullied. If you spend some time here, you know pretty damn well what to expect.

Unity community is great but holy shit there are so many fucking retards there.
Like i ask a question on the forums and knowing there are many retards, i specify that i do not want THING! i already tried THING and it does not work
first two replies:
HAVE YOU TRIED THING?

fucking hell

His artist is working on a lewd game supposedly.

> asking for something on the unity FORUM

You're just asking to get that stuck up mod to post in your thread and shit on you, then ban you because you dared talk back.

Yes i'm salty.

Well that was his own doing by having older drama on his past.
People that don't know how to keep their prvacy on the internet, and specially that don't know how to take advantage of the anonymity on Veeky Forums can't really complain when stuff like that happens to them.

point me in that direction

That never happened to me.
But what does happen to me is that 90% of my questions never get answered (since i don't ask retarded 1st day shit like HOW DO I MAEK RIGIDBODY KINEMATIC.
And i don't mean 0 replies, i mean 10 replies with totally retarded solutions posted clearly by people who have no fucking idea about the concept and are using the unity for the first month or some shit.

Want to try and prototype a 3rd person slasher/action game. What are some games with good controls / camera in them.The only one that comes to mind is devil may cry, but I hated the camera there.

Need some reference to copy the camera controls.

It would be easy for me but I don't know about a beginner maybe.

I've tried helping out kids there but its full of retards who just want you to spoonfeed them line by line. Then when you try to ask an actual question about engine functionality nobody knows.

Should be easy enough to do in like, a day once all the art is made. Unity's UI system is pretty trivial to use these days. The reason why there's so many flash ones is because of how easy they are to make.

Unless you want to do something really fancy like Oblivion's face creation system for a whole body. That would take a lot of effort.

Why are you giving free attention and publicity to evaxephone?

And you're not even doing it with him being present, you're acting like a literal cuck for him.

He didn't start his game on AGDG (so he has nothing to do with us), he started it on /v/, and /v/ doesn't care about the manchild with emotional issues anymore, so why do you?

@southcxc
Haven't seen any progress since he pitched the design doc and a lewd minotauress. But I might just keep missing him.

i need some feedback on this hud,how shit it looks and how to improve it,what to avoid etc (those 5 buttons pop up when clicking on anime girls)

Alice madness returns had some good controls on the PC. Keep in mind most everyone absolutely hated them, but I still think it's worth checking out.

>Then when you try to ask an actual question about engine functionality nobody knows.
Fucking exactly this.
The only questions which get answered are the questions you can literally answer by looking at the unity manual and reading the description of the thing they are asking about, or by checking a specific checkbox on a component.

Star Wars Jedi Outcast / Academy
Legend of Zelda: any 3d one

Can't think of any others. Jedi Outcast / Jedi Academy are a must-play if you want 3rd person sword combat though.

DO NOT BLOCK MY VIEW OF THE BREASTS

Move the time to the other side to balance it with the name tag.
Looks OK for a generic vn HUD.

The idea is nice, but I can't see putting the buttons on top of the girl as a good idea. Hides the art and breaks the immersion.

this is why I'll never regret using Unreal

source code is too good to lose

first for moth game dude,

Burn the wings. Or make them slightly burned.

>this is what animedevs and their audience are like

>thought my game was looking like shit
>take a break for a day and come back to dev
>it's actually pretty nice

I guess I won't be killing myself for another week

Mothgirl dev are you here?

Could you show your animation rig? Can you give a quick rundown on your rig and what specifics you use for it? Also if you used any sources/tutorials/inspirations for it?

one way to look at this, is that if people praise you in here, you know you're doing something well

Yeah I need moth dev too. Wanted to help him out on his fly problem.

weaver is very active on the discord

> these are the examples of good camera controls

hahaha. I can get the jedi academy, but Alice?

>That sounds awesome!! Thanks a lot, user
Almost done. Give me another half hour, I guess... But I'll hopefully post earlier than that.

Link?

>what is an OP

>giving away that mothdev is a known shitter
not so easy being anonymous and making games

Evax is the type of person who would get his day ruined if among 1000 posts of sucking his dick, one single person said "you're retarded".

He came to Veeky Forums after Gaia, and he tried to "impress us" and "gain our recognition" by making a game that "caters to us". He didn't realize that he can't please everyone here though, and he soon found out that not everyone here will suck his dick, but people over at reddit and other communities will, so of course he moved away from here. And good riddance I say, even Fish has more backbone than him, I definitely don't want any association with those sort of people.

> What is being helpful

>what is being retarded, with 0 resourcefulness, even though everything's handed to me

help yourself retard

That's hilarious though. Is that from your RPS game? I'll go vote it as a "funny comment" and will probably buy any games he makes.

> I don't feel like linking a chat because it's too much to do

> But I feel like picking a fight

Already got it

youre going to buy them?
youre not going to take keys of them and shitpost in his reviews? you're not very funny.

Noir's animations are somewhat old and those fomori animations are new so that kind of explains it. I actually wanted to give the fomori just 4 frames long walking animation but it looked like NES megaman so I just went with 8 and now while it looks good(?) it clashes with lots of enemies that only has like 4 or 6 frames walk animations.

I watched this youtube.com/watch?v=iJOUTSy0fQI tutorial one day and it made me understand animation bit better. I guess I'll be remaking some of Noir's sprites when I get time.

I'd even say that it's easy to ask people who shit on you for constructive criticism. If they don't, ignore. I think people who try to seriously interact in this place seriously need to learn to ignore feedback that isn't worth the attention.

If someone shit's on a game, I'll take it, as long as it's reasoned. Otherwise, it gets ignored.

that's pretty shitty, I thought he would be a decent guy

>youre going to buy them?

Yeah so I can support him.

>you're not very funny.

That is true.Never claimed to be a comedian myself.

gogem, I'm not too familiar with RRPS but I'm pretty sure there is no RNG when playing with other people. Is this correct?

OI, WHY ARE 90% OF YOU NOT DOING ANYTHING?

Take your thumbs out your asses and go make some art or write some code

>already got the link
>still feel the need to respond
keep going, I'm loving it

>having so few players that 3 reviews makes a difference

Do you guys know of any free to commercially use Joystick-to-Keyboard program that I can bundle with my game?

Let me guess you're banned from the discord chat

who was he ?

>DDX really is only 2 weeks away
>haven't done anything since DD9

uh oh

why doesn't the soundcloud link work anymore

What engine are you using if there's no gamepad support?

nope, I'm enjoying it everyday, in fact

correct, even if you dont select anything in a match and the timer runs out leaving the server to select for you, it selects according to a predictable system that other players can learn and prepare for. (selects type that has most cards first with ties broken by following R, P, S sequence)

Thought so.

Some cancerous tripfag, which he constantly had to mention in the first threads about his game, so people of course found out which cancerous tripfag. He could have just not mentioned it at all, but attention whroes never change.

>keep ur identity super sekrit
this mentality won't hold up if you ever plan to make a game popular outside of Veeky Forums. a game is an identifying feature, and you'll be linked back to your time here

>Thought so.

Thats not the point. He was pretending to be someone he wasn't on Veeky Forums, while saying "oh but i'm this very special person, but you will never find out". Then people found out that he's an insecure faggot with a baggage of shit he keeps whining and complexing about.

If you'e pretending to be someone yo uaren't, it means you are trying to hide yourself away. Good, but don't bring your real self as some "sekrit" "super COOL" human being that others would be lucky to know. Because then people will use it against you. This is what happened to him. It could all of been avoided.

You can link your information here all you want, as long as it doesn't have the possibility of causing damage for you. It's safe to say if you don't get triggered every second post that people make, nobody will want to bother to doxx you or cause trouble for you.

so whats the deal with discord having gay warcraft dudes on the greeting page? i decided to close the tab because i didnt want to accidentally end up in an rpg

Seems like you solved the problem already

I could be hanging out in communities where people are shit, but they hide it, or I could stay here where people are shit and don't try to hide it

maybe I too, am shit

Good to know, and great tutorial you found there.
Yeah, MC animations always take a lot of work and rework because, let's face it, is what people will be watching all the time while playing.

better?
i dont have a solution for those buttons right now but i hope i will find it soon,game has some vn elements but i hope i can focus on gameplay

>entitled SJW that by mistake found Veeky Forums instead of Tumblr pissed off
>bad thing

Saying that YandereDev is in any way skilled or did something smart is wrong. He's a retard that played and won the lottery, just how some Redneck wins the lottery from time to time. It does not mean that the redneck is smart, skilled or really anything.

that doesnt answer my question.

pls no bully

>Uncentered
Put the 5 options in a column above the nametag if that works for the game.
Or in a row next to the name tag.

Is this Yanderedev?