C4 Corvette

Shitposting and memes aside, how decent/shit-tier is the C4 Corvette? I've been considering one as their prices keep on droppin'

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GD3y7ylpqO8
youtube.com/watch?v=9tyq2ux8c_o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What about a ZR1?

bump

A lt1 version is nice. A bit slow but they handle well.

Slow how? I know 0-60 is no way to base the performance of a car, but the lt1s go 0-60 in 5.x seconds. I guess I wouldn't consider that slow, but it depends on what you've driven.

yes LT1 version are fine if you can get over the 80's interior.

does anybody actually like the 4+3 transmission?

Slower than a full frame suv to 120 mph.
And 0 to 60 is more like 6.3
Pic related the suv it's slower than.

I rather an FC3S 2bh

>SS

then again the trailblazer SS is at least 20k for one in good shape with sub-100k miles from where i am

Guess I should specify that im looking at 92+
no 4+3 there, only 6 speeds and LT1s, plus the interior remodel.

C3's are cooler looking and easier to fix

any reason why?

It's a 5000 pound truck vs a vette. SS or not.

just threw those rims on my red 84 an hour ago. weird.

the car is slow but handles unlike anything ive been in. very fun car.

snagged mine with 74k miles on it, mint condition, black leather interior, for 3500. those rims i got in 9/10 condition for 250.

>Subjective replies on Veeky Forums
Don't know what I expected.

Anything I should take note for while I'm looking for mine? Any gremlins you've found that would deter you from snagging another?

>EASIER TO FIX

C4's have flimsy chassis. Jack one up wrong to work under it and you can have cracked body panels.
C4s also have a cramped as fuck engine bay and a transaxle thats a total bastard to drop out and mess with.

C3's have a fully boxed frame and a trans thats extremely easy to drop. Apart from brakes that you need to know how to service and some finicky bits in the rear end, they are very easy to do almost anything on.

has a corvette engine

>Not being a fuckhead when jacking your car
>Using the good ol' cramped engine bay excuse for your shit wrenching abilities
>Suggesting a slow as fuck car over the sleek sexy quick c4

The thread was asking about the c4, not your shitty opinionated answer on what to get OVER the c4

The C4 was a huge leap forward from the C3. The step from C4 to C5 was much smaller.

the c4 is good for your money, but kinda lackluster in the performance department. step on up to a c5.

lighter, better looking, a lot of aftermarket, can always drop a v8 if you are one of those fagets

The reason the jacking part is notable because people have damaged their cars jacking them up in ways that are perfectly fine on literally every other car

I did brake work on some guys C4 convertible and he came out and explained to me for like 15 minutes how to lift his car on a 2 post lift.

The engine bay has a metric cunt hair to get to anything on the back or underside, its not fun to try to pull the motor either since the motor is so goddamn far back in the car that pulling the motor with or without the trans is a bastard of a task.

C4s outside of the Grand Sport, ZR1 or callaway aren't really much faster than a turd gen. Throw in the notably bad wiring and electronics and the fact that C3s are way more eye catching, why wouldn't you get a C5 or C3?

also, it looks basically the same

C5s are ugly.

pot calling the kettle black

Early C3 > C2 >Mid Late C3 > C6 > C7 > Late C1 > Late C4 >C5 >Early C1 > Early C4 >Shitty Disco C3

No.

You can easily damage C5s and C6s too by jacking them up incorrectly. Knowledgeable owners buy jack pucks to prevent cracking body panels.

true of any supercar

Yeah but they are also much more rigid than the first unibody C4s

You can damage any car by jacking them up by the floorpan or oil pan or something retarded

The thing about C4s is that you could jack it up by a piece of solid side rail which on any other vehicle would be a fine lift point and if you didn't jack it up in the right spot the whole body would flex and you would possibly spider a quarter panel.

Yes. Especially the coupe body like that

I actually agree with that, but C7 should be closer to the end. It looks like a giant toy

gud taste

Awesome cars and fun to drive.

So fucking 80s it hurts, I want a LT1 with the digital dash and the six speed

how can /k/ not love this? It's the best parts of the ricer world, muscle car world, and sports car world

C4s do not have a transaxle, and the clamshell hood makes it easy to work on the front of the car.

The chassis is pretty weak by today's standards, and could have been a bit better even when it was new. But the C3's frame is garbage compared to the C4. Fully boxed? Its two pieces of sheet metal stitch welded to each other.

C4s are great cars. Dominated in show room stock competition and were highly competitive in autocross up until the Z06 came out. The L98 four speed cars are the lightest Corvettes that aren't powered by an I6. Only major problem with the LT1 is the optispark.

Prices for the cars are going up, and a decent one can cost as much as a C5, but you can still find deals. I picked up a '91 L98/6spd for 6k and it has been great.

>/k/
>ricer world
>muscle world

fuck off summerfag

>L98/6spd
I'd love one of those. I always figured they'd be an absolute blast to drive on the street with all that torque.

They're all shit.

Go on BMW forums, even they agree Handle's better then an E36 M3.

A C4? like not even a ZR1 or Grand Sport just a regular C4!? damn son.

Oh its for sure rather flimsy for a fully boxed frame

but its stll pretty stiff until you get to the C6, also the main part about it having the ability for the body panels to flex on the mounts rather than the panels themselves trying to flex

Also i forgot that the transaxle didn't come until the C5

Transmissions are still a bit of a bastard to drop out of them because of the driveshaft is a nig to remove

Which is shitty because the 700R4 is a big box of trash and the manuals are comparatively rare

I owned a 92, had 90k miles on it and had been mostly sitting in a garage for half a year as the seller couldn't get in it anymore.

They crammed so much new technology into it that it's an unreliable mess. The most common things to fail are: both computers, the entire electrical system, the fuel system, the weatherstrips ($500 a set and a full day to install; they erode fast), the LT1 likes to run lean, and a whole lot of other shit I can barely remember now.

By the time you fix one up enough to where it won't break down every month you're in C5 money range. It's not easy either. The engine bay is a rubix cube.

Fun car though.

early ones are utter dogshit but have the cool digital gauge cluster.

later ones are decent if you can find one in good and original condition.

Unless it is a Grand Sport, I wouldn't bother and would get a C5 or C6 instead.

Every Corvette has weird breakdowns.

Its part of the charm, knowing your specific cars little foibles.

They usually aren't "unreliable" so much as they will just break weird things at random times.

If you don't like fixing your own car, they become a money pit you get to enjoy only about half the time you have it. If you do enjoy fixing your car, they are a fun little perpetual project that after a few years of owning you will know how to disassemble the whole car and put it back together.

AE86 is the car that trains its driver, but the Corvette trains its mechanic

I keep reading about how horrible these cars are and how things always go wrong. I must just be super lucky. I own a 73,91, and 98 Corvette and none of them have had any major problems. No rattles and ride just as good as my new Focus.

Post mileage for each

My 75 was rode hard for most of its 40 years. The 15 year siesta in the garage.

I blame none of its problems on anything except for it being beat on for so long, and the bastard still has yet to leave me stranded

cunts are earnestly defending the c3 corvette? wow.

>160-200hp in a 3500 lb car
>shit build quality
>extremely average handling
>vacuum hose spaghetti
>computer. controlled. quadrajet.
>interior cramped as fuck

the only thing that c3s do well is look cool - they are a shit choice by every other metric you can think of. There is no shortage of shit cars that look cool, and most of them are cheaper than a c3 anyway. Avoid.

>computer controlled quadrajet

What the fuck are you talking about?

Its a regular quadrajunk with "ELECTRIC" choke, not a computer controlled one

Interior isn't cramped, just a tricky entrance and exit.

The vacuum lines aren't shitty unless you are mechanically retarded. There is one big hose to the headlights and then the standard EGR, PCV, Brake booster, etc that even many modern cars have.

Also most of those cars post 75 were underrated chronically. the "205hp" l82 have shown to put closer to 230-240 on an engine dyno with accessories. They underrated for insurance heavily in the mid to late 70s and just yanking some of the emissions shit off of it can give you a bit of a boost in power.

>hasn't heard of a computer controlled quadrajet
>is defending a malaise era domestic

"it isn't cramped, it's just tricky entrance and exit"
lol

The 427 tri-power produced 400-435HP, that's a lot today and an enormous amount in 69-71. Also if you think the interior on a C3 is cramped you must be extraordinarily obese.

it really is, once you are in it its rather comfortable

you are sitting with your ass 8 inches off the ground, its not easy to get into any really low slung low seat car

I'm 6'0 and with the seat all the way back the car is almost tailor fit for me. I do have the clutch adjusted to be at almost full draw for it to engage but thats just how i like my clutch

Kek. I have that same set up. EBZ06 on f14s. Mines not as low and until I find someone who can take pretty pictures it won't have that great lighting. Eww at the body side moulding.

175k for the C3. It was a stock L48 with the factory suspension. Used at as my daily driver for awhile. I think the only thing that was different when I bought it were the Monroe shocks. Now everything has been replaced, LS1/T56, and has VBP street/slalom suspension. It is stiff but not harsh.

C4 just ran over 100k. Everything is original except for the KYB shocks.

C5 has 140k and has been my autocross/hpde car. Ridetech coilovers, headers, borla exhaust, clutch, and everything else stock. I just changed the coilpacks and O2 sensors last year.

400 horse awd vs 265 horse rear wheel drive wow I wonder why the trailblazer walk all over it off the line

I hear the automatic transmission is sew fawnceh...

>Regular cuck reviews

the rims are the nicest thing about the car

>6 speed lt1
>6.3 second 0-60

oh im laffin

I like what Freiburger and Finnegan did to theirs

youtube.com/watch?v=GD3y7ylpqO8

nope, its a simple and great car

What the hell is this thread

Bizarre corvette infighting for no gain

Marginally better than GTR vs Corvette benchracing

Actually it has a version of the LS2 the vette has different heads and a different intake
390 hp at the back of the crank. And there's a 22% drivetrain loss due to the awd. So that's about 310 hp to the tires in a truck that wieghs a ton more than a vette.
0 to 60 in a stock tb ss is 5.8 seconds. So yes low 6s is accurate

>I've been considering one as their prices keep on droppin'
That's good news

the 80s interior is what bothers me the most tbqh desu senpai

this is what happens when poorfags want performance brand on a car they'll never turn a wrench on.

a Toyota troll instigating fights among GM boys like a real Jew

2 types of c4

80'sC4 with 80s interior and SBC350

90s c4 with 90s interior and LT1
90s C4 looks better and is faster, but has boat anchor LT1 ancient forgotten tech

80s c4 is ugly and slow but has dat SBC

1990 model has SBC350 and 80s exterior but 90s interior

probably get 1990 model and put 90's body panels on

that's what I would do

That LT1 will crush the Gen1 SBC C4s though and reacts to mods much, much better than the Crossfire or TPI junk. Unless you plan on ripping the fuel injection and electronics off and throwing a carb on it or swapping to an LS, LT1 is better.

That "80s interior" is the coolest thing about them

Lt1 Corvette is low 5s.

>but has boat anchor LT1
lt1 block only weighs 30lbs more than ls1 block.

theyre pushrod chevy 350s. idk why people are so gay over the weight.

LT1 is better but and SBC will always be cheaper and will always have info to work with

LT1 is the red headed stepchild that died in childhood

Crossfire and TPI are junk true, but cheap, easy, simple, selftuning TBI systems are abundant and plentiful.

just slap on an SBC carb intake, the the TBI units have same bolts as carbs, weld an o2 sensor, hook up a electric fuel pump and you're good to go.

future is bright

youtube.com/watch?v=9tyq2ux8c_o

Once you cut out all the gold chain out of a C4, they're the best thing ever.

You're confusing it with the lt4

That thing, in untrained hands, without the slicks, beat a C7 Lingenfelter with about as much power as a C7 Z06. Pic related. Yes, it's comparing it to junk, but still, going this fast means the engineering is sound.

Is there anything outright bad about that 4+3 though? I kinda like the idea of a classic four speed, but I know the ratios aren't as wide as the 6 speed - wide ratios that would allow for a more aggressive rear end ratio, and still get good cruise RPM.

Good luck finding any of those. Face it the run of the mill C3 is shit.

ZR-12 is 11x better

They aren't too horrible. They're basically T10s with an overdrive unit on the back. They tried to use a T5, but kept braking them so the T10 was used. It was just a band-aid solution to meet the new EPA standards until ZF finished the 6-speed.

They required a bunch of sensors and electronics that just wasn't up to par in the 80s so most of the overdrive units don't work anymore. Poor maintenance and driving habits by the owners burned them up as well. You're better swapping a new TKO 5 speed than rebuilding it.

>61hp per liter
kek